Start by marking “Groucho Marx and the Broadway Murders” as Want to Read:
Groucho Marx and the Broadway Murders

Groucho Marx and the Broadway Murders (Groucho Marx #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In Ron Goulart's well received series featuring comedian-cum-amateur sleuth Groucho Marx, Groucho and his writer Frank Denby have made a name for themselves as detectives. In fact, in their last case, they were able to outsmart Sherlock Holmes, or at least the actor playing him. However, both men play down their sleuthing abilities and to escape their new reputation, Grouc ...more
Published July 13th 2001 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Groucho Marx and the Broadway Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groucho Marx and the Broadway Murders

Nathan
Meh. Sadly, I was hoping for a little more with this one. But in a way, it was what I expected from the title. I'd be more willing to forgive it were it a better interpretation of Groucho himself. He uses too many so-so lines too fast for the reader to fully appreciate any given one.

Apart from that, the mystery itself wasn't all that compelling, and I didn't find the methodology all that plausible. But I've seen (and accepted) movies with more ill-contrived murder plots.

In the end, it did still
Mike
I think I remember this one. I read as many of the Groucho Marx detective books as I could all in a row. I remember them being very good for the most part, but by the time I got to the fourth and fifth book they were becoming repetetive. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I read this one, but nothing stands out about it that makes me think "Oh Yeah! That one!" I think I remember the train, and that it takes place on one, but other than that I can't be of much help. Overall this series is fun, but mayb ...more
Andrew
I've now read 4 of the books in this series, and have found each to be a quick, enjoyable read. Have always been a fan of Groucho, nice to see this fictionalized (uh, it IS fictional, isn't it Ron Goulart??) look at the man and a strange little hobby - solving mysteries & murders!

Groucho's off-camera persona is usually just like his on-camera one. Occasionally, he can get serious, or contemplative - but usually he's just a smartarse. I like that in a person!!

Two more books in this series to
Susan
When a Los Angeles mobster is murdered, the dead man's boss asks Groucho to investigate. Fortunately, Groucho is on his way east, to appear in The Mikado, and his sidekick Frank Denby is also going to New York, to help write a radio show. On the train east, they run into an unpleasant producer, his newly discovered star, an English actress, and a variety of other characters. Some of them reappear in New York, and one of them is dead.
Rick Phillips
Ron Goulart at his best. This is probably the best in the Groucho Marx mystery series.
Jlarson
Jlarson marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
David Akers
David Akers marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Barbc
Barbc added it
Apr 16, 2014
Daniel Campisi
Daniel Campisi marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Timinator
Timinator marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Ron Goulart (b. 1933) is a cultural historian and novelist. Besides writing extensively about pulp fiction—including the seminal Cheap Thrills: An Informal History of Pulp Magazines (1972)—Goulart has written for the pulps since 1952, when the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction published his first story, a sci-fi parody of letters to the editor. Since then he has written dozens of novels an ...more
More about Ron Goulart...

Groucho Marx (6 books)
  • Groucho Marx, Master Detective
  • Groucho Marx, Private Eye
  • Elementary, My Dear Groucho
  • Groucho Marx, Secret Agent
  • Groucho Marx, King of the Jungle
Groucho Marx, Master Detective Capricorn One Groucho Marx, Private Eye Greetings From Earth (Battlestar Galactica, #8) Elementary, My Dear Groucho