Start by marking “Groucho Marx and the Broadway Murders” as Want to Read:
Groucho Marx and the Broadway Murders

Groucho Marx and the Broadway Murders (Groucho Marx #4)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In Ron Goulart's well received series featuring comedian-cum-amateur sleuth Groucho Marx, Groucho and his writer Frank Denby have made a name for themselves as detectives. In fact, in their last case, they were able to outsmart Sherlock Holmes, or at least the actor playing him. However, both men play down their sleuthing abilities and to escape their new reputation, Grouc ...more
Published July 13th 2001 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Groucho Marx and the Broadway Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groucho Marx and the Broadway Murders

Nathan
May 15, 2014 Nathan rated it it was ok
Meh. Sadly, I was hoping for a little more with this one. But in a way, it was what I expected from the title. I'd be more willing to forgive it were it a better interpretation of Groucho himself. He uses too many so-so lines too fast for the reader to fully appreciate any given one.

Apart from that, the mystery itself wasn't all that compelling, and I didn't find the methodology all that plausible. But I've seen (and accepted) movies with more ill-contrived murder plots.

In the end, it did still
Mike
Mar 07, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I think I remember this one. I read as many of the Groucho Marx detective books as I could all in a row. I remember them being very good for the most part, but by the time I got to the fourth and fifth book they were becoming repetetive. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I read this one, but nothing stands out about it that makes me think "Oh Yeah! That one!" I think I remember the train, and that it takes place on one, but other than that I can't be of much help. Overall this series is fun, but mayb ...more
Andrew
Apr 03, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor-satire
I've now read 4 of the books in this series, and have found each to be a quick, enjoyable read. Have always been a fan of Groucho, nice to see this fictionalized (uh, it IS fictional, isn't it Ron Goulart??) look at the man and a strange little hobby - solving mysteries & murders!

Groucho's off-camera persona is usually just like his on-camera one. Occasionally, he can get serious, or contemplative - but usually he's just a smartarse. I like that in a person!!

Two more books in this series to
Susan
When a Los Angeles mobster is murdered, the dead man's boss asks Groucho to investigate. Fortunately, Groucho is on his way east, to appear in The Mikado, and his sidekick Frank Denby is also going to New York, to help write a radio show. On the train east, they run into an unpleasant producer, his newly discovered star, an English actress, and a variety of other characters. Some of them reappear in New York, and one of them is dead.
Rick Phillips
Mar 08, 2012 Rick Phillips rated it it was amazing
Ron Goulart at his best. This is probably the best in the Groucho Marx mystery series.
Leo Laney
Leo Laney marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 27, 2015
Tim Deforest
Tim Deforest rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Almeta
Almeta marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Scott M Fisher
Scott M Fisher rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Apr 19, 2015
Scott Rowland
Scott Rowland rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
Dan Eggleston
Dan Eggleston rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Dan Hiland
Dan Hiland marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Kevin Hartigan
Kevin Hartigan rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Makomai
Makomai marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Gerry
Gerry rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2014
King_In_Yellow
King_In_Yellow rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Jlarson
Jlarson marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Tom Koffer
Tom Koffer rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2014
David Akers
David Akers marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ron Goulart (b. 1933) is a cultural historian and novelist. Besides writing extensively about pulp fiction—including the seminal Cheap Thrills: An Informal History of Pulp Magazines (1972)—Goulart has written for the pulps since 1952, when the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction published his first story, a sci-fi parody of letters to the editor. Since then he has written dozens of novels an ...more
More about Ron Goulart...

Groucho Marx (6 books)