Start by marking “Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No” as Want to Read:
Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No

Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  39 reviews
In this exciting new book, Dr. Townsend gives important keys for establishing healthy boundaries---the bedrock of good relationships, maturity, safety, and growth for teens and the adults in their lives. The book offers help in raising your teens to take responsibility for their actions, attitudes, and emotions.
Published May 18th 2009 by Zondervan (first published January 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Boundaries with Teens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boundaries with Teens

Shawna Ridgley
I really love the Boundaries books. If you find yourself struggling in relationships, they are full of practical advice. This one on teens is no different. They give some really practical steps in making sure you are setting a good foundation for your teen's adult life. I highly recommend this book for parents of teens, especially if you are struggling with behavior shifts that are catching you off guard. It will make you feel less alone and help you gain insight into what is going on physically ...more
Emily
I decided to read this book because I wanted to understand my teenage experience better and prepare for when I have teenagers of my own to raise. It's never to early to start preparing right? Anyways, I have read Dr. Townsend's other book entitled "Boundaries" which I love! And other variations/spin offs. I believe that Dr. Townsend and Dr. Cloud (co-author of Boundaries) have a love of truth and understanding. However this book didn't have as big of an impact for me. This may have been due to a ...more
Heather
Very accurate descriptions of what we are experiencing with our 17 year old, who seems to have flipped a switch overnight and feels that we are too controlling. Sigh. Practical advice and scripts of how to set boundaries with ornery teens. Well worth a read.
Michael Johnson
Our Parenting Bible completed this book and found it very helpful. Our only major concern was that as we dug in to it, we began to see a lot of the information as repetitive. Towards the end of the book, we decided to choose a few of the special circumstances instead of doing them all. The group had difficulty doing this because we were all dealing with very different issues with our children. This book, more than any other has forced us to really think about how we go about our parenting.

Immedi
Bonnie Krueger
I liked it but felt it a little redundant. It confirmed all the things I'm doing right and warning signs to look out for as my children get older.
Andrea
As a teacher in the public schools, I see more and more how parents are fearful of being parents to their young, emerging teens. This book is most helpful.. you can select the topic of the chapter that is urgent at a specific time and receive wise counsel on handling those challenging situations with your teens. Whether it's driving, money, homework or a variety of other topics, they are discussed with kindness and practical suggestions on how and why to set boundaries. A word to parents of teen ...more
Dawn Roberts
Excellent, as are all the books in the Boundaries series. Highly recommend any and all of them.
Sydney
I thought this had a lot of really helpful advice, and I liked that different topics were broken up by chapter at the end. But as with many Cloud and Townsend books, it got repetitive.
Cindi P.
Practical tool for building your family relationship and setting boundaries for teens. I was looking for something different. I was hoping this was how to teach teens to set boundaries. I went ahead and finished the book, even though it speaks mainly to parents of teens. I am not a parent of teens. That is probably why it took me so long to finish it. Helpful resource to understanding teens and our role in their lives.
Alicia
This was a very helpful parenting book! If I'd read this 4 years ago, I would have set it aside and said it was just common sense that any parent knows. But now that my twins are nearly 17 and want complete freedom, this book was perfect for our situation. It helps answer the question, "Where should I loosen the reigns and in what areas should I stand firm?"
Sandy V
Loved it -"Your teen needs your help to become a person whose word means something for then he will be happier & his relationships will be healthier as well" "Provide your child/teen with as many experiences involving love, grace, safety, stucture & correction as you can. The involved parent can truly make a positive difference."
Susan
Great advice for public school parents of teens with a supportive, dedicated church, good schools with dedicated teachers, caring counselors, and - at least- a middle class income. For all those who don't have that framework...well, there are a still a few decent tips worth digging out.
Danielle
Very helpful in helping parents draw clear boundaries, not only for a kid's behavior but for a parent's responsibility. Responsibility to the child, yes, but also in recognizing how to draw lines of what one should NOT do for their teenager.
Kathryn
Overall good book, great to read and reread for perspective. I just walked away from it overwhelmed. There is so much I want to do to keep a strong relationship with my teen now and my other boys when they get to be teens.
Dani
I didn't realize that the book had a lot of biblical scripture. It was a nice surprise! :) Either way, I feel that even taking out the biblical references, this book is applicable to all parents.
Amy Noel-schouten
Would have been better to have finished it when it still applied. My son is 20 and we are into a whole new set of issues. Better move on to boundaries.
Heather
It was ok, but the advice was pretty wishy washy. It is a good supplement to other parenting books, but alone I didn't think it would work for me.
Camy
Bu gune kadar okudugum en yararli kisisel gelisim kitaplarindan biri..Sinirlari o kadar guzel anlatmis ki kendinizi daha iyi hissediyorsunuz..
Niki Van mechelen
Although he makes a point every now and then, it is way too conservative. Also too much god and bible references. I wasn't looking for that.
Alison
I thought this book was extremely helpful in understanding the teenager stage and how to survive it.
Marissa Joyce
easily the best parenting book I have ever read... and I went to counseling school- so I read a LOT!
Stephanie Broyhill
Awesome book for parents. I used this book in foster parent training. Great read for every parent.
Cindy
Great book for how to have a good relationship with your teen and still train them.
Ldugan136057
so far very helpful at identifyfing normal teenage behavior instead of anxiety driven behaviors
Kathy
I'm a therapist and this is my very favorite parenting book. I recommend it all the time.
Kristi
Really liked this book but it would only be appropriate for Christian families.
Glomom2000
This is an excellent self-help book for anyone trying to raise teen-agers.
Rose
Maybe it gets a little redundant, but has some wisdom to share.
Donna
Many practical ideas for setting healthy boundaries with your teen.
Karla
Good for parents, nice advice for getting to know us kids.
  • How to Really Love Your Teenager
  • Parenting Teens with Love and Logic: Preparing Adolescents for Resposible Adulthood
  • Boundaries with Kids: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Help Your Children Gain Control of Their Lives
  • The Five Love Languages of Teenagers
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy
  • The Wounded Heart: Hope for Adult Victims of Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • Why You Act the Way You Do
  • Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying
  • The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men
  • God Loves Broken People: And Those Who Pretend They're Not
  • Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World
  • Courage to Be Yourself: A Woman's Guide to Emotional Strength and Self-Esteem
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion and Truth in the Immigration Debate
  • Preparing for Adolescence
Beyond Boundaries: How To Know When It's Time To Risk Again Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You Who's Pushing Your Buttons? Loving People: How to Love & Be Loved How to Be a Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships

“your teen needs a process of time in which to let go of parental dependence and move into adult independence. This cannot be done instantly.” 0 likes
“Teens are impulsive, self-centered, and irrational. They have outbursts of anger and disrespect, then in a few minutes, they swing back to love and compliance.” 0 likes