Start by marking “The Pearl of Great Price” as Want to Read:
The Pearl of Great Price

The Pearl of Great Price

4.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,769 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
The Pearl of Great Price, first published in 1851, is one of the scriptures of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is an important source of the teachings of Joseph Smith, the founder of the church. It was serialized in Smith’s day and its order of matter was revised frequently in its various printings. This edition of Pearl contains works of revelation, in ...more
Published May 18th 2009 by Barnes & Noble (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Pearl of Great Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pearl of Great Price

Jams
Sep 16, 2015 Jams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
September 2015---I reread this as part of a Seminary assignment my boys had. It was an amazing experience to hear my teen boys express thoughts and feelings about a book I love so much.

September 2012---Of course I have read bits and pieces of "The Pearl of Great Price" before. But I have never taken the time to read it cover to cover. I am enjoying the process more than I can say. This book is full of beautiful history and instruction.

John
Jan 16, 2012 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: banal-fiction
A pack of lies written by a frontier charlatan named Peepstone Joe. But fascinating because it's a chance to actually study a religious fiction from recent history.
Larry
Mar 11, 2008 Larry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
cultic crap
Richard
Aug 17, 2008 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you view this as revelation from God, Inspired fiction, or flat out fantesy, it is undoubtedly an amazing collections of writings with various styles, approaches, and doctrines. Viewed for what it is, it's great.
Steve
Mar 31, 2016 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I no longer believe this book to be what it claims to be.
Patrik
Aug 25, 2011 Patrik rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Pearl of Great Price was a quick read. After having just recently finished reading the Book of Mormon I was a bit surprised that it didn't contain much if any of the more interesting of the Mormon doctrine that I think separates Mormonism from Biblical Christianity. So I decided to continue my study of Mormonism by reading more Mormon writings. I decided my next read would be the Pearl of Great Price. And in this selection of writings by Joseph Smith there began to surface some of those more ...more
Randon
Jun 11, 2012 Randon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that wish to be fleeced
Shelves: mormonism
I should really give this book Five Stars as it was amazing in that it proved without a doubt that Joseph Smith was not a real prophet and simply a product of his time. Comparing the Facsimiles in The Book of Abraham to undamaged Egyptian Books of Breathing prove that Smith simply created a story to fit the pictures he saw. No matter how hard Mormon apologists try to explain it as simply symbolic- it clearly is a fraud. The papyrus the Facsimiles were taken from date to A.D. 60 so it is highly s ...more
Timothy Boyd
I won't rate this book. I read it to learn about a new area in religion and it did fulfill that purpose.
Amy Sanders
Apr 08, 2010 Amy Sanders rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Pearl of Great Price?
Please...
The original document was an Egyptian papyri on how they buried their dead. It had nothing to do with the Book of Abraham. A complete embarrassment to the Mormon Church that had believed black people were cursed. Retracted after they found the original Papyri. The fact that they keep the book…well that speaks volumes.
Bri Malan
Sep 03, 2008 Bri Malan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good history of Joseph Smith. I love learning about someone's path to God. This is a great book.
Courtney
Sep 15, 2008 Courtney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Courtney by: The Mormon Church
The Pearl of Great Price is, I think the most interesting and enlightening piece of Mormon Literature that is included in the "Mormon Scriptures". Forget the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine & Covenance. The Pearl of Great Price is where it's at. My favorite part is the Book of Abraham.

This zany book was dictated by Joseph Smith (in the usual fashion -- ie. by nearly esphixiating himself in a top hat full of "seer stones" and thus inducing hallucinations). He wrote this piece when someone cam
Tym
Feb 01, 2012 Tym rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was raised in a very strongly "faithful" Mormon family and was taught that this was divine scripture all of my life. I eventually figured out I had to find out what I myself believe in and Mormonism isn't for me. So I might have some bias when re-reading this book. There are some pretty awesome sc-fi/fantasy concepts in this particular book that I would love to see used in a novel(s).

The styles are different enough for each section that what Joseph Smith claims about the book (him translating
Tiffany
Dec 01, 2015 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many great things found here: Extended knowledge of heroes such as Abraham, Moses, Enoch, and Joseph Smith! Revelations about the Creation, Premortal Existence, the Apostasy and Restoration of Christ's church on the earth, the basic tenets of that church, found in The Articles of Faith. I love this book.
Connie
Sep 26, 2015 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love that it ends with The Articles of Faith. It ties all 3 books and the beliefs of our church together so well.
Elise
Jan 24, 2016 Elise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative...
Mark
Oct 02, 2010 Mark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
These two books are clearly fraudulent. The Book of Abraham, supposedly translated from an Egyptian papyrus, contains nothing related to the papyrus, which is still extant and has been translated, correctly, a number of times. The Book of Moses is Joseph Smiths attempt to improve upon the first books of the Old Testament, which he claimed he was correcting by direct revelation from God.
Brandon Osborn
Oct 30, 2013 Brandon Osborn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The PoGP has been documented as an utter fraud - originalso of the scroll pieces were found in Chicago and have been reviewed by Egyptologists from Harvard and other places - the Papyri which the "Book of Abraham" was translated from is actually a permit to breathe for Horace - which is a very common death scroll. Joseph Smith had no idea what he was doing, and faked every bit of it.
Travis
Jan 28, 2009 Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, religious
A very interesting book with an interesting history. I've found several of the stories very helpful. Not sure if I'll read it every year for the rest of my life, but since it is scriptural canon I'll give it 5 starts just to prevent a Hans-esque controversy. Hahahaha
Olivia
Another family read. The history behind this book is great. The stories inside are great. Moving on to the Old Testament. Gabe LOVES reading long geneaologies of practically unreadable names aloud, so fun times in family scripture reading are ahead!
April
Apr 12, 2011 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My brain can only consume so much at a time; it requires a lot of mental energy to contemplate such all encompassing concepts. I have a testimony that it is the word of God. It's a wonderful book.
Karey White
Jan 26, 2012 Karey White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. So excited to have read the entire Standard Works in 13 months. And I absolutely loved the last part of Joseph Smith History, where Oliver Cowdery writes. His writing is so beautiful.
Mary L.
Dec 25, 2015 Mary L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always amazed to reread this little book. My favorite part is the 11th Article of Faith. Madison called for this to be part of our Bill of rights.
Matt Haynes
Having read the previous comments I think they summed it up perfectly. Vastly entertaining, incredibly racist, unimaginable that it still exists today, lol.
Sheila
Aug 24, 2008 Sheila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book must be read with "By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus" in your other hand....it compares each phrase with the real translation.
Banana
Mar 08, 2009 Banana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
All LDS kids need to read this. It's real short too, you can read it in about a day. I'm planning on reading it soon.
Amr
Jun 20, 2008 Amr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This the worst pile bull hucky ever pawned off on the human race. A complete forgery of a worthless book.
Lars
Jan 06, 2009 Lars rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is short. Laying aside its controversial origin, it contains some simple and profound ideas.
Mistyblue
Jul 14, 2012 Mistyblue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A spiritual up-lifter. I enjoy revisiting the truths contained herein.
Janet
Jul 11, 2011 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know it is true, and written by a prophet of God.
Lisa
Nov 22, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, religious
The Pearl of Great Price is a book of scripture used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Containing revelations, translations, and a brief history of Joseph Smith, the first prophet of the church (The Book of Moses, the Book of Abraham, a translation of the book of Matthew, and Joseph Smith History). It also includes the Thirteen Articles of Faith, written by Joseph Smith to explain the basic beliefs of the LDS church.

For such a short book of scripture, it is extremely profound.
Was the "Book of Abraham" fabricated by Joseph Smith? 3 22 Feb 06, 2015 10:46AM
Is the Book of Abraham a FAKE? 5 75 Feb 11, 2013 11:10AM
  • Gospel Principles
  • Truth Restored
  • Holy Bible: King James Version
  • Mormon Doctrine
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • The Holy Temple
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
Joseph Smith, Jr. was the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, also known as Mormonism, and an important religious and political figure during the 1830s and 1840s. In 1827, Smith began to gather a religious following after announcing that an angel had shown him a set of golden plates describing a visit of Jesus to the indigenous peoples of the Americas. In 1830, Smith published what he said w ...more
More about Joseph Smith Jr....

“We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent and in doing good to all men; indeed we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul - We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.” 9 likes