Start by marking “Guardian” as Want to Read:
Guardian

Guardian

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  4,385 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
"All the right scares in all the right places." The Seattle Times
A telephone rings in the dead of night with shocking news for single mother MaryAnne Carpenter: her friends the Wilkensons are suddenly, inexplicably dead, their only child, Joey, a sad and silent adolescent and MaryAnne's godchild, abruptly orphaned. But as MaryAnne rushes with her family to the Wilkenson's
Published July 2nd 1994 by Fawcett (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardian

Asghar Abbas
Jan 25, 2016 Asghar Abbas rated it really liked it

It was a good enough novel, what I remember most about is the moonlight and something almost wolf.

It gets its rating because when I was reading it I was very very happy. But not about this book.
Bogdan
Jan 16, 2015 Bogdan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-world
I am fairly impressed by the quality of writing for this thriller, as many genre novels are usually just focusing on building up the mystery/thriller while the literary aspect is overlooked completely. I believe John Saul is in the same league as Stephen King, at least taking into account this novel. He is a keen observer of various human types and manages to create at least some believable characters and situations.

As with the most novels in the genre, the book does not inherently have a messag
Alanna
Sep 16, 2016 Alanna rated it liked it
I enjoyed this creepy book. I felt the book dragged out a bit and then the ending seemed too rushed.
Rebecca Brown
Oct 17, 2012 Rebecca Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was the first "grown-up" novel I ever read. Sounds cheese huh? I was 10 years old and a total bookworm who had read every Christopher Pike, R. L. Stine, and Babysitter's Club book available! My best friend, also a superreader, snuck it from her dad's library and gave it to me. I immediately fell in love with the horror genre and thus became the up-all-night-must-finish-just-one-more-chapter-flashlight's-going-dead-bookworm I am today. John Saul scared the living crap out of me as a kid and ...more
Kim Taras
Nov 16, 2015 Kim Taras rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this one to start but by the end I kind of just wanted it to be over.
Marianneboss
Jul 05, 2014 Marianneboss rated it it was ok
So...Werewolves now...Ok.
description
Sunflower Jamison
Absolutely loved this book, couldn't put it down. To me it was scary and I'm 73.
Vanessa
Nov 19, 2016 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping and thrilling plot! As usual John Saul is at his best.
Jeanne Grunert
Oct 12, 2016 Jeanne Grunert rated it liked it
Typical John Saul...one-dimensional characters, little to like about anyone, but a fast-paced plot. I really disliked the end and felt he explained, rather than let the characters discover the major plot hook. Also two character deaths did not add to the suspense and were instead a great disappointment. A read that kept me entertained, but a disappointing ending.
David Dupont
Het verhaal had wel iets, maar er scheelde veel aan de schrijfstijl. De laatste paar hoofdstukken hadden naar mijn gevoel ook iets vroeger in het boek moeten komen, dan hadden ze de spanning verder opgedreven terwijl ze nu meer als een verklarende epiloog overkomen. Ik heb het wel uitgelezen, voornamelijk omdat het niet extreem lang was. Een andere boek van dezelfde auteur ga ik echter niet meteen vastnemen.
Trisha
Oct 19, 2013 Trisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006
MaryAnne Carpenter wordt midden in de nacht opgebeld. Haar petekind Joey is in een keer wees geworden nadat zijn ouders zijn omgekomen bij een ongeluk. MaryAnne neemt haar twee kinderen mee naar de boerderij van haar overleden vrienden om Joey op te vangen.
Maar Joey reageert raar. Hij is niet de verdrietige jongen die MaryAnne verwachtte, maar een jongen met hele diepe geheimen.
En dan worden in de buurt een voor een mensen vermoord en MaryAnne heeft het gevoel dat het te maken heeft met Joey e
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
I've always enjoyed John Saul, and I like how he made the 'child-horror' theme his own. When you're dealing with kiddos, things can get more emotional. Here it's hard to know what to think of Joey, but I liked how it ended and wrapped things up with the character. Saul jumps from having the villain one-layered to being full fledged and sympathetic. There's not many cliche characters, although Saul seemed to have struggled a bit with the parents. The standard jerk father is overboard and not terr ...more
Shelfarijose
Jan 23, 2016 Shelfarijose rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is about a paragraph from Guardian 13 John Saul chapter 9. Alison was staring at the ground now, and Logan 19s chin was quivering at the possibility of losing his brand new cow boy boots.

Even after reading 2284 books (please see my resume and Spectacular Books. www. webcitymcp.com/blog.) this scene struck a deep chord within me.

In my hard, desperate, yet colorful childhood, I didn 19t have money for much any thing. Like Boy 19s Life - Robert McCammon 19s hero, Cory Mackenson, I had a rust
Christopher Hivner
Aug 10, 2013 Christopher Hivner rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
First I have to admit I didn’t finish Guardian. I read about halfway and wasn’t enjoying it so I stopped.

Two tragic accidents leave young Joey Wilkenson without parents. His godmother moves with her own children onto Joey’s ranch to take care of him. Soon though she begins to realize there is something strange going on with Joey. At times he is a sweet, caring child and at others he lashes out in anger. The boy himself is confused by the rage that comes over him, causing him to run off to the wo
Saundra
Jan 10, 2015 Saundra rated it really liked it
For me this book is one of the authors better books. A few thinks could have been in more detail, but the story flowed nicely.

The story line is of a broken family, parents on the verge of divorce do to affairs on the husbands part. Children choosing sides when the unthinkable happened. Maryann's best friend and her husband dies. she relocates the whole family west due to the fact she is the Godmother of Joey Wilkinson.

Joey had an OK upbringing, but with some dark secrets. His relationship with
Sam
Jun 04, 2015 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, horror
This is a good fast paced and engrossing story that follows MaryAnne Carpenter and her family as they move to a secluded ranch following the death of her friend and her husband in two separate accidents. However all is not as it seems with their surviving son Joey or the circumstances around their deaths, and those of their friends and neighbours. Granted there is nothing amazingly unique in this story but it is well written, engrossing and entertaining with plenty of interplay between the vario ...more
Kate
Aug 20, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
I always prefer to try to deduce what a book is about by the cover illustration rather than go to all the trouble of reading the jacket summary. So looking at this, I thought the guardian was somehow going to be this dog, and that he would be a kindly spirit to watch over the characters.

Apparently the guardian here is really the woman next to the dog, who has taken in the ominous looking child whose giant face is looking at her.

I still get confused and have to remember that when I look at the
Sridhar Babu
Jan 16, 2010 Sridhar Babu added it
Recommends it for: to all fiction lovers
Recommended to Sridhar by: got thro e-mail
Goodbook...scared me...lots of interesting characters...John saul usually handles the child characters of his novel very well,as if they are talking to us,asking questions to us,something like that. Among all characters my favortie is Logan. In the end..particularly in epiloge I felt like crying. Even though John saul is branded as horror writer,he had touched this novel sentimentally, father,son relationship,lifestyle of average American family etc.Good novel, very interesting to read...recomen ...more
Jon
Jan 14, 2009 Jon rated it liked it
when i was reading this book it made me stop and think how much we git from dna vs learned reactions/likes due to whats around us...

a boy takes off and gose into the near by mountan to git away for some alone time and if i rember right he meats his dad... who was never in his life.. i think he git a wolf and treats it like a dog.. its been years but its a good book.. will have to reread it someday
Heather
Feb 18, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it
The worst John Saul book I have read. Story line is almost immediately predictable, but the premise is kept up 3/4 of the way through. Imagery is repetitive and it feels as if it was edited after the fact to increase word count or lengthen novel gratuitously. Characters were annoying and I honestly hoped they would all be "taken care of" by the end. I've been a fan of Saul for 25+ years but this story really disappointed me. Very simple storytelling at best.
Vicki Gooding
Sep 11, 2016 Vicki Gooding rated it really liked it
The story begins when two best friends from childhood one in ID now, and the other still in NJ make the other their children's godmother. When both parents die in ID, the friend in NJ with her two children 13 and 10 rush to the ranch to take over guardianship of her friends 13 year old son. This is a spellbinding, spooky book with woods, mountain men, murder and timber wolf. More murders than were probably necessary, but was so well written could not put the book down.
Dorothy
Dec 28, 2012 Dorothy rated it it was ok
I was a bit out of my comfort zone with this book as it is not my usual genre of choice. The story involves a remote ranch in winter where the main character has gone with her 2 children to look after her best friend's son after his parents are both killed. The family seems menaced by a strange being who is sometimes glimpsed around the property. The plot involves the family's attempts to keep themselves safe and the connection of the stranger to the orphaned boy is eventually explained.
Steve Schlutow
Feb 26, 2016 Steve Schlutow rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-horror, saul
This was a pretty book of its type. I generally steer away from such books, but I liked this book. Joey's parents die, his godmother (and her children) visit and help take care of him and the ranch. Everything goes wrong when people continue to die after Joey's parents die from something (some creature) in the woods (mountains). The book is a good story and an easy read.
Candice Shaw
May 17, 2013 Candice Shaw rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I love John Saul books. He is almost as good of a horror author as Stephen King. His writing style is unique and that is what makes him one of my favorite authors. I haven't read a book of his I haven't liked yet, they are all so great. I would reread any of his books anytime but there are too many to go into detail about each one.
Andrea
Jul 07, 2010 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Beth
Oct 11, 2011 Beth rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I really John Saul, so I'm not sure why I couldn't get into this book. I gave it a good try, though, and got half-way through it. Most of the time when I can't finish a book, I'll get rid of it right away, but I think I'll put this back on my shelves for another time. It was very disappointing to not want to finish this book.
Adam
May 17, 2016 Adam rated it really liked it
Excellent book and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. My only thing I thought was negative is the old story of scientists experimentig and creating a dangerous wolf like man. Othet than that Saul is a great author who knows his audience. I haven't been disappointed with too many John Saul books.
Evelyn
Mar 03, 2014 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
John Saul never disappoints! I find myself trying to figure out where his mind set is at as he writes. I have never read a John Saul book I did not enjoy. They are gripping, fast moving and take you on a definate ride of terror. Prepare to be mentally stimulated in all of his books.
Sandy
Jul 20, 2014 Sandy rated it it was ok
Started out with such promise and then it went to the weird side. Animal or man or manimal? Too bad this was the first book I read of his - not sure I'd ever read anymore for fear other books would go that way too.
Nolena
Nov 11, 2012 Nolena rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts
Scared the crap out of me, so i tried to put it down, but if i put it down all these alternate endings that came to my mind scared me even more. I finished the book and vowed to read it again only if i had the lights on and it was day time. great book but I'm a chicken.
  • No Sanctuary
  • Portent
  • Magic Terror
  • The Infinite (Harrow House, #3)
  • The Return
  • Bethany's Sin
  • The Servants of Twilight
  • The Killing Kind
  • Three Complete Novels: The Servants of Twilight / Darkfall / Phantoms
  • The Chosen Child
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he