Start by marking “Guardian” as Want to Read:
Guardian

Guardian

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  3,782 ratings  ·  74 reviews
"All the right scares in all the right places." The Seattle Times
A telephone rings in the dead of night with shocking news for single mother MaryAnne Carpenter: her friends the Wilkensons are suddenly, inexplicably dead, their only child, Joey, a sad and silent adolescent and MaryAnne's godchild, abruptly orphaned. But as MaryAnne rushes with her family to the Wilkenson's
Published July 2nd 1994 by Fawcett (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardian

The Blackstone Chronicles by John SaulSuffer the Children by John SaulShadows by John SaulThe Manhattan Hunt Club by John SaulBlack Creek Crossing by John Saul
Best John Saul Books
25th out of 34 books — 64 voters
Table 21 by T. Rafael CiminoWolfsbane by Andrea CremerClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickThis Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
wanna read 2011-12
30th out of 37 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Bogdan
I am fairly impressed by the quality of writing for this thriller, as many genre novels are usually just focusing on building up the mystery/thriller while the literary aspect is overlooked completely. I believe John Saul is in the same league as Stephen King, at least taking into account this novel. He is a keen observer of various human types and manages to create at least some believable characters and situations.

As with the most novels in the genre, the book does not inherently have a messag
Rebecca Brown
This was the first "grown-up" novel I ever read. Sounds cheese huh? I was 10 years old and a total bookworm who had read every Christopher Pike, R. L. Stine, and Babysitter's Club book available! My best friend, also a superreader, snuck it from her dad's library and gave it to me. I immediately fell in love with the horror genre and thus became the up-all-night-must-finish-just-one-more-chapter-flashlight's-going-dead-bookworm I am today. John Saul scared the living crap out of me as a kid and ...more
Saundra
For me this book is one of the authors better books. A few thinks could have been in more detail, but the story flowed nicely.

The story line is of a broken family, parents on the verge of divorce do to affairs on the husbands part. Children choosing sides when the unthinkable happened. Maryann's best friend and her husband dies. she relocates the whole family west due to the fact she is the Godmother of Joey Wilkinson.

Joey had an OK upbringing, but with some dark secrets. His relationship with
Gotta
I read my first book by John Saul couple of years ago in High School and i fell in love with it. It was my first "adult" book you can say, 'The Perfect Nightmare'. I had never read book involving crime/suspense..or crazy ass serial killer. And Oh man, sadly for me I read that book when i was by myself at home at night...and at one point i actually got up and turned on all the lights because i got really spooked. So right after i finished 'The perfect nightmare' I went ahead and checked out anoth ...more
Trisha
MaryAnne Carpenter wordt midden in de nacht opgebeld. Haar petekind Joey is in een keer wees geworden nadat zijn ouders zijn omgekomen bij een ongeluk. MaryAnne neemt haar twee kinderen mee naar de boerderij van haar overleden vrienden om Joey op te vangen.
Maar Joey reageert raar. Hij is niet de verdrietige jongen die MaryAnne verwachtte, maar een jongen met hele diepe geheimen.
En dan worden in de buurt een voor een mensen vermoord en MaryAnne heeft het gevoel dat het te maken heeft met Joey e
Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
I've always enjoyed John Saul, and I like how he made the 'child-horror' theme his own. When you're dealing with kiddos, things can get more emotional. Here it's hard to know what to think of Joey, but I liked how it ended and wrapped things up with the character. Saul jumps from having the villain one-layered to being full fledged and sympathetic. There's not many cliche characters, although Saul seemed to have struggled a bit with the parents. The standard jerk father is overboard and not terr ...more
Christopher Hivner
First I have to admit I didn’t finish Guardian. I read about halfway and wasn’t enjoying it so I stopped.

Two tragic accidents leave young Joey Wilkenson without parents. His godmother moves with her own children onto Joey’s ranch to take care of him. Soon though she begins to realize there is something strange going on with Joey. At times he is a sweet, caring child and at others he lashes out in anger. The boy himself is confused by the rage that comes over him, causing him to run off to the wo
Bill Donhiser
Not my usual genre, I received this book as a gift and felt obligated to read it. Good storyline up until the government conspiracy twist then I lost interest but finished it anyway
HNC Library
This book was read by staff member Carol Mitchell for her Six Book Challenge

Not over exciting but a fair read, good book for a new reader. Some gool chills and twists.

3 stars
Marianneboss
So...Werewolves now...Ok.
description
Heather
This was not my favorite. But since I am a bit older then the last time I read it I am going to give it another try.
Katrin
Good book. Had me going. Could do without the swearing.
Kate
I always prefer to try to deduce what a book is about by the cover illustration rather than go to all the trouble of reading the jacket summary. So looking at this, I thought the guardian was somehow going to be this dog, and that he would be a kindly spirit to watch over the characters.

Apparently the guardian here is really the woman next to the dog, who has taken in the ominous looking child whose giant face is looking at her.

I still get confused and have to remember that when I look at the
Sridhar Babu
Jan 16, 2010 Sridhar Babu added it
Recommends it for: to all fiction lovers
Recommended to Sridhar by: got thro e-mail
Goodbook...scared me...lots of interesting characters...John saul usually handles the child characters of his novel very well,as if they are talking to us,asking questions to us,something like that. Among all characters my favortie is Logan. In the end..particularly in epiloge I felt like crying. Even though John saul is branded as horror writer,he had touched this novel sentimentally, father,son relationship,lifestyle of average American family etc.Good novel, very interesting to read...recomen ...more
Dot
I was a bit out of my comfort zone with this book as it is not my usual genre of choice. The story involves a remote ranch in winter where the main character has gone with her 2 children to look after her best friend's son after his parents are both killed. The family seems menaced by a strange being who is sometimes glimpsed around the property. The plot involves the family's attempts to keep themselves safe and the connection of the stranger to the orphaned boy is eventually explained.
Vicki Gooding
The story begins when two best friends from childhood one in ID now, and the other still in NJ make the other their children's godmother. When both parents die in ID, the friend in NJ with her two children 13 and 10 rush to the ranch to take over guardianship of her friends 13 year old son. This is a spellbinding, spooky book with woods, mountain men, murder and timber wolf. More murders than were probably necessary, but was so well written could not put the book down.
Heather
The worst John Saul book I have read. Story line is almost immediately predictable, but the premise is kept up 3/4 of the way through. Imagery is repetitive and it feels as if it was edited after the fact to increase word count or lengthen novel gratuitously. Characters were annoying and I honestly hoped they would all be "taken care of" by the end. I've been a fan of Saul for 25+ years but this story really disappointed me. Very simple storytelling at best.
Jon
when i was reading this book it made me stop and think how much we git from dna vs learned reactions/likes due to whats around us...

a boy takes off and gose into the near by mountan to git away for some alone time and if i rember right he meats his dad... who was never in his life.. i think he git a wolf and treats it like a dog.. its been years but its a good book.. will have to reread it someday
Candice Shaw
I love John Saul books. He is almost as good of a horror author as Stephen King. His writing style is unique and that is what makes him one of my favorite authors. I haven't read a book of his I haven't liked yet, they are all so great. I would reread any of his books anytime but there are too many to go into detail about each one.
Beth
I really John Saul, so I'm not sure why I couldn't get into this book. I gave it a good try, though, and got half-way through it. Most of the time when I can't finish a book, I'll get rid of it right away, but I think I'll put this back on my shelves for another time. It was very disappointing to not want to finish this book.
Andrea
Deborah Isner
Wasn't impressed. I have been reading his work for as long as I can remember, yet it seems that his story is always vary formulaic. I feel like I am reading the same book over and over again, yet with different children as the main/secondary characters. I guess I was just hoping for some ingenuity.
Drake
My new favorite book! The setting was amazing. The characters ( especially Joey and Olivia) were amazing. The plotline was suspenseful and thrilling. I will say no more so I won't spoil it for people who haven't read it. If there is a sequel I need to get it. That's how good it is
Kyle Morris
Love all of John Saul's books. He focuses on teenagers, at least all the books of his that I've read were that way. I empathized with his lead characters because I always feel like an outsider, which his characters always wind up being. Saul mixes it all up with some Sci-fi to boot.
Evelyn
John Saul never disappoints! I find myself trying to figure out where his mind set is at as he writes. I have never read a John Saul book I did not enjoy. They are gripping, fast moving and take you on a definate ride of terror. Prepare to be mentally stimulated in all of his books.
Nancy Brady
A suspense thriller set in Montana. When Joey Wilkenson's parents are killed by someone or something unknown, and his guardian, Aunt MaryAnne and her two children, Alison and Logan, come to live with him at the family ranch. More killings occur, and Joey is acting strangely.
Nolena
Scared the crap out of me, so i tried to put it down, but if i put it down all these alternate endings that came to my mind scared me even more. I finished the book and vowed to read it again only if i had the lights on and it was day time. great book but I'm a chicken.
Sandy
Started out with such promise and then it went to the weird side. Animal or man or manimal? Too bad this was the first book I read of his - not sure I'd ever read anymore for fear other books would go that way too.
Tammy
Ughhhh. I love a good werewolf yarn but holy bright eyes, this read was tedious!

Too much unnecessary exposition confined to a house, barn, and valley. Silly plot, dull stupid characters, and way way too long.

My first John Saul book - I really like his writing style - to the point and clear. So I will try another of his novels but I will say the basis of this particular novel was very far fetched and totally silly...
  • Come Out Tonight
  • Magic Terror
  • The Return
  • The Mask
  • Mischief (Harrow House, #2)
  • Portent
  • The Influence
  • Bethany's Sin
  • The House of Thunder
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he