Start by marking “Groucho and Me” as Want to Read:
Groucho and Me

Groucho and Me

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,408 ratings  ·  92 reviews
With impeccable timing, outrageous humor, irreverent wit, and a superb sense of the ridiculous, Groucho tells the saga of the Marx Brothers: the poverty of their childhood in New York's Upper East Side; the crooked world of small-time vaudeville (where they learned to carry blackjacks); how a pretzel magnate and the graceless dancer of his dreams led to the Marx Brothers' ...more
Published August 22nd 1995 by Da Capo Press (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Groucho and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groucho and Me

Bossypants by Tina FeyStories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob LoweConfessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison ArngrimHome by Julie Andrews EdwardsWishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher
Best Show Business Memoirs/Biographies
46th out of 125 books — 159 voters
Jodie and the Library Card by Julie HodgsonJodie Broom by Julie HodgsonThe Tools by Phil StutzThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomThe Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis
2013 B
37th out of 108 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Luis
Una genialidad del humor. Consiste en anécdotas de su vida, en orden mas o menos cronológico, salpicadas de observaciones agudas e irreverentes, totalmente un must read para cualquier aficionado al teatro o al cine clásico o simplemente para quien busque reírse. A través del libro se dibuja la época dorada del teatro de bodevil y la vida de sus artistas, los inicios de Hollywood, la radio y la televisión.
Mads
The best autobiography ever. I agree completely with what Mrs. Calabash says on the blurbs. I wish more people would write their autobiographies this way and enough of the oh-so-serious tones. Let's have no more of the endless boasts about illustrious ancestors and goody-goody anecdotes.
Wade Grassman
I was a bit disappointed by the book only in that I had hoped to more of the history of the brothers and the act. On the other hand the humour that poured out on every page more than made up it. I laughed at nearly every turn of the page. This was a wonderful read and I whole heartedly recommend it for any fan of the brothers.
Patti
A fun quick read. I read this book right after I read A tree Grows in Brooklyn, so I had a whole theme thing going with turn of the century.

The stories that Groucho tells about his family and himself are the types of stories that you would tell about the dinner table to tease each other. Groucho tells his stories without making himlook like a saint, too. In fact, it seems like he goes out of his way to show his faults.

There's no bragging in this book, or sugar coating. It's just a fun way to re
Brad Dugg
The wittiest, funniest and the cleverest autobiography I ever read.

You can read on Wikipedia page as to who Groucho Marx is but you must read this book to understand what a sense of humour he has. This is one of those books that seems more like a comedy movie than an autobiography. So little of his personal life is mentioned and so much of his personal experiences are fed which are mostly hilarious.

This book is path breaking in terms of autobiographical-writing. This does not follow chronology
Víctor Galán
Una particularísima obra de su genial autor. Groucho desarrolla una autobiografía tan extraña como delirante, en la que narra muchos sucesos y en los que a la vez no cuenta nada. Su sentido del humor, alcanza cotas extremas, dotando a todo el libro de una sutil ironía y una marcada sátira de la sociedad estadounidense de la época.
Una obra ideal para desarrollar el ingenio y la mala leche humorística. Pero que adolece de una visión demasiado superficial de su autor y situada siempre en el enclav
Andy
Jul 30, 2008 Andy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: comedy fans
Shelves: hollywoodbabylon
Groucho's pretty amusing. He makes me grin abut he doesn't really make me laugh.
Casey
I treasure this book. The witticisms actually pour out of this book faster than the reader can savor them. Groucho Marx pens this memoir as only Groucho can, with the same insults and wisecracks that marked his uniquely superior brand of comedy for decades. For example, near the beginning of the book is this nugget of wisdom: "Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough."

You can actually hear his voice ringing through the text. It's d
Martin
{This was to be intended to be a collective review of The Groucho Letters, Groucho and Me and Memoirs of a Mangy Lover collectively, but apparently I can't pull up more than one book in a thread. Why what appears to be the cover of an Agatha Christie biography appears in the window where Groucho's dust jacket should, I have no idea, I don't even think they have much in common}

Down below (ratatatatata)
Down Below(ratatatatata)
Sat the devil talking to his son
Who wanted to go
Up above(ratatatatata)
Up
Perry Whitford
I don't think Groucho wrote a great deal of the Marx Brothers material, certainly not the film stuff anyway (they had a team of Hollywood's finest scripting the gags for those) but by the time you have got three pages into this autobiography it's pretty clear that he might as well have done. Julius Henry Marx and Groucho Marx were undoubtedly one and the same.

Here's a sample from the very first page: "Although it is generally known, I think it's about time to announce that I was born at a very
Yoake
No soy de carcajada fácil cuando veo la televisión (ni cuando voy al cine). Sonrío, sí, pero no muchos consiguen que me doble de la risa. Shin-chan siempre me ha hecho reír (el manga más que el anime). Su humor chabacano y fácil hace que me desternille. Algún capítulo de la primera temporada de Friends también. La escena de Two Much en la que Antonio Banderas tiene que entretener a Melanie Griffith y a Daryl Hannah a la vez es otra más. Y en esa de Oceans Twelve en la que Julia Roberts se hace p ...more
Aaron
Sep 04, 2013 Aaron rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marx Brothers fans
Groucho states at the beginning of the book that he's only writing it at the coercion of the editor. This statement and pretty much every other statement on the 300-some-odd pages in this book should be taken with a salt lick. Julius Henry Marx is reticent to invade his own personal life and I would venture to say that of the 80000+ words in this book only a handful could be considered the bold truth. Which isn't to say that it's not interesting, it's just that the anecdotes may or may not have ...more
Himanshu
By far this is the funniest autobiography I have read till now but then with Groucho at the helm ,it had to be funny. Groucho's self deprecating humour shines through this gem. The small size (some 350 odd pages), awesome wit and the interesting anecdotes of an era gone by make this virtually irresistible. Now that I have finished it,I am having withdrawal syndrome.

Particularly amusing is his introduction of Chaplin
Joe
I've never seen a Marx Brothers' movie. And, aside from an incident in the first grade, I've never had any circumstances in my life where Groucho Marx had even a moderately influential role on my day-to-day existence. So, I come to this book as neither a fan nor an enemy. Truly neutral on this one.

I found it to not only be incredibly funny but also interesting in an historical aspect. He was born just before the turn of the century, and lived through many of the significant moments of the 20th
Dan Hiland
There are few books that can make me laugh out loud and often- but this is one of them. He was the master of comedy, on and off the screen. And his descriptions just kill. There are places in the narrative where I would set the book down because I was laughing so hard I couldn't see the page. Now, that's what I call funny...
Ta0paipai
A fun but meandering read, Groucho provides a window into his life growing up and he and his brothers' rise to fame while adding the Groucho humor fans love and would hope to expect (though its preacher than expected). As a bonus readers get an authentic view into the old school entertainment industry, when vaudeville was fading in the rise of motion pictures.
Dimi Doukas
It's fun to read how things were in the 20's and 30's in showbiz. But Groucho's book doesn't have a story line. It's more like small columns put together rather than a biography. I enjoyed 'Harpo speaks' much more than this. Though there are some good moments in this book also.
Gordon Gravley
A fan of the Marx Brothers, I found this memoir and collection of anecdotes about their history and inception thoroughly entertaining. It's also a great historical look into the world of vaudeville. Written with such conversational ease I even read it multiple times.
Danielle
Aug 02, 2008 Danielle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Folks wanting some Marx Bros history
I was really excited to read this autobiography of Groucho Marx and the majority of the book didn't disappoint. Groucho tells some terrific stories about growing up Marx with his brothers. I also loved his tales about Kansas City (it's neat to read what an important tour stop it was back in its hey-day) and what he had to say about living in Chicago for a little while as a teen.

But then...! Then it just turns into a GROUCHy old man (the book was published in 1959) griping about the way things ar
Jeff Buddle
This book effortlessly captures Groucho's voice. Not so much an autobiography as a collection of stories/anecdotes, but well worth the short time it takes to read. Recommended.
Gene
I definitely would have liked more details on his life story and accomplishments (he never did tell how he got the name Groucho), but you can't help but enjoy the wit and wisdom of his words. So many of the things he said about the world 55 years ago (including the book publishing/selling world) still ring true. He was a true character in the best sense of the word.
M.R. Dowsing
I enjoyed this "autobiography" despite Groucho's apparent determination to reveal as little as possible about himself! I read Harpo's book many years ago and, from what I remember, it was a more satisfying read. 'Groucho and Me' is well-written, funny and engaging but perhaps a bit too lightweight not to disappoint slightly.
Kahn
Aug 04, 2011 Kahn added it
Groucho goes to great lengths to explain this isn't an autobiography, and he's not wrong. What you have are a series of anecdotes (some with a basis in truth, some without) and musings on such things as marriage and alcohol.
He also explains regularly that he keeps getting pushed by his editor, and that is also easy to believe, as this book runs out of steam two-thirds of the way through, and what starts out as a marvellous collection of Marx whimsy and tales of Delaney's doings finishes feeling
Marivl
"Esta obra empezó como una autobiografía, pero antes de enterarme comprendí ya que no sería nada de eso. Resulta casi imposible escribir una autobiografía sincera(...) En casi todos los casos, lo que el público acaba comprando es un discreto volumen con los hechos hábilmente encubiertos, lleno de bazofia y de ambigüedad"
Me encanta el sarcasmo cómico de Groucho Marx, he disfrutado mucho sus anecdotas y ocurrencias, aunque no devela demasiado de su vida personal, nos cuenta con su estilo único las
Alex
"Although it is generally known, I think it's about time to announce that I was born at a very early age."
John
One of the most amazing things about reading this book is that it is in Groucho's voice, great read!
Ix
Muy divertido, sabe Dios que es cierto y que no!!,
Christopher Beckett
Was surprised I hadn't read this 25-30 years ago when I devoured all things Marx. From the familiarity of some of the anecdotes I'm not entirely sure I didn't. No matter, it's entertaining all the way through, self-effacing and self-aggrandizing in exactly the right doses. At its worst it can be a bit shapeless: towards the end he includes whole chapters on subjects such as golf and fishing that he admits he has little interest in. The final anecdote is lovely.
Vania Liberoff
Me costó conseguir este libro. Mi papá me dijo que mi abuelo lo tenía y que decía que era una maravilla. Pero en algún momento de la vida, ese libro se perdió. Un día lo veo por PURA CASUALIDAD en una mesa durante una de las Ferias del Libro de Chacao. Milagro.
Adoro a Groucho Marx, y la biografía que él mismo escribió es asombrosa. Tiene un humor inteligente, un tanto negro y en ocasiones cruel, pero maravilloso al fin.
Expresa no sólo momentos de su vida, sino también su filosofía de vida. ¡Y q
Timbeaux
"I think I can best sum it up by relating what happened to me not so long ago. I was walking down State Street in Chicago when a middle-aged couple came up and began circling me. They went around two or three times, looking me over as though I were a creature from outer space. Then the wife hesitantly came over and asked, "You're him, aren't you? You're Groucho?"

I nodded.

She then touched me timidly on the arm and said, "Please don't die. Just keep on living."

Who could ask for anything more?"

- Gr
  • Harpo Speaks!
  • Groucho: The Life and Times of Julius Henry Marx
  • My Wonderful World of Slapstick
  • Buster Keaton Remembered
  • Hello, I Must Be Going: Groucho and His Friends
  • The Parade's Gone By...
  • Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Sometimes Zeppo: A Celebration of the Marx Brothers
  • Robert Mitchum: "Baby I Don't Care"
  • Chaplin
  • Daddy's Boy: A Son's Shocking Account of Life with a Famous Father
  • Bring on the Empty Horses
  • This Is Orson Welles
  • Louise Brooks
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)
Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx, was an American comedian and film star. He is famed as a master of wit. He made 15 feature films with his siblings, the Marx Brothers, and also had a successful solo career, most notably as the host of the radio and television game show, You Bet Your Life. He had a distinctive image, which included a heavy greasepaint moustache and eyebrows, and glasses.

More about Groucho Marx...
The Groucho Letters Memoirs Of A Mangy Lover The Essential Groucho: Writings by, for, and about Groucho Marx The Marx Brothers Scrapbook Beds

“I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.” 1732 likes