Start by marking “The Shadow of a Gunman” as Want to Read:
The Shadow of a Gunman

The Shadow of a Gunman

İrlanda ulusal tiyatro hareketinin olduğu kadar, İrlanda işçi hareketinin de önde gelen kişilerinden ve çağımızın başlıca drama ustalarından olan O'Casey, günümüzde de çetin bir biçimde süren İrlanda ulusal bağımsızlık mücadelesinin çelişkilerini İrlanda halkı ve insanının çelişkileriyle birlikte yansıtır. O'Casey için önemli olan, yalnızca İngiliz birliklerine karşı ...more
Published 1995 (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow of a Gunman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow of a Gunman

Ødegård Solveig
Jul 16, 2016 Ødegård Solveig rated it liked it
I saw this play performed in Dublin's Abbey Theatre in the late summer of 2015. As a non-native english speaker (as far as heavy accents go) I had a really hard time understanding the rough pronunciation. I did pick up a lot on the body language, but overall I felt like I missed out on much of the story.
So today I came across this piece in a second hand book-shop and picked it up. Read it about an hour...Turns out, I hadn't missed out on much.

I'm at loss as to whether this play is "too local",
Mike
May 30, 2016 Mike rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-owned
I can't quite remember reading a play where I felt there was so much potential to be a truly "great work," but that falls short on just about every level. If some of the fluff had been cut out, this would have made a gripping one-act play. If characters would have been further developed (especially Minnie) with a greater build-up to the violent ending, this would have made a memorable three act play. As it stands, the final product seems both too long AND too short. Even worse, it's either a ...more
Loren Harway
Sep 13, 2007 Loren Harway rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like to cry themselves to sleep
Not a particularly bad book. However i think they're pushing it a little by using it for part of the British Curriculum for Drama.
Unless it is studied relentlessly this doesn't seem to be the kind of book that someone will give a second glance.
I loved how involved the history of Ireland was in this play. Sean O'Casey weaves a 'waiting for godot' kind of tale as nothing seems to happen. Davoren and Seamus just discuss random things and hang around their room. However the commotion on the streets
mahdi
Nov 30, 2007 mahdi rated it liked it
نمایشنامه به وقایع سال ایرلند مرتبط است و منازعات میان ارتش جمهوری خواه ایرلند و نظامیان بریتانیا. در سال 1916 ملی گرایان ایرلندی در دوبلین، قیام عید پاک را ترتیب می دهند که این شورش هرچند با شکست مواجه می شود، موج مخالفتهای گسترده علیه حکومت بریتانیا در ایرلند را به راه می اندازد. در سال 1919 مجلس ایرلند، حکومت این کشور را «جمهوری» اعلام کرد، و متعاقب آن 3 سال جنگ بین ارتش جمهوری خواه ایرلند و بریتانیا در گرفت. (+)

وقایع نمایشنامه در دو پرده و در فاصله چند ساعت یک روز ماه مه در خانه ای اجاره ن
Matt Allen
Jan 31, 2011 Matt Allen rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
I liked the play a lot: but it didn't live up to my high expectations after "Red Roses For Me." Still, this play was good enough (and that play was great enough), to get me through the other two O'Casey plays I bought. Best part of this play is the allusion to these excellent lines in the Rubiyat of Omar Khayyam:

Ah, Love, could you and I with Fate conspire
To grasp the sad state of things entire
Would we not shatter it to bits - and then -
Remould it nearer to the Heart's desire!
Colin Powell
Mar 04, 2013 Colin Powell rated it liked it
I struggled with this at first and think somethings might have gone over my head. I enjoyed the hard hitting ending - if it meant heros and fighters are not always what we expect and perhaps more modest people pick up the woeful tab at the end of the day.
Andy
Jul 24, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing
A deft metaphor for the predicament ordinary people of all biases and allegiances found themselves in when caught between fanatics and oppressors.
Ali
Nov 07, 2007 Ali rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
این نمایش نامه ی شون اوکیسی با نام "در پوست شیر" توسط اسماعیل خویی ترجمه شده و توسط انتشارات رز در سال 1350 منتشر شده است.
David
Nov 30, 2015 David rated it really liked it
An excellent story revolving around the interactions of a few choice denizens of a tenement in 1920's Ireland.
Bex
Bex rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
May 01, 2014
Catherine Deeprose
Catherine Deeprose rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Arielle
Arielle rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2012
Jay
Jay rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2011
Tom Killalea
Tom Killalea rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Pablo Montero llano
Pablo Montero llano rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Miss
Miss rated it it was ok
May 18, 2008
Matthew McKernan
Matthew McKernan rated it liked it
May 18, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Tiarnán McMeekin
Tiarnán McMeekin rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Lolo
Lolo rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Síofra
Síofra rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Henry Hill
Henry Hill rated it liked it
May 23, 2013
Ronan
Ronan rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Aurélie
Aurélie rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Louis Thompson
Louis Thompson rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Zahra
Zahra rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2016
  • Women of the Celts
  • Krapp's Last Tape and Other Dramatic Pieces
  • The Cure at Troy: A Version of Sophocles' Philoctetes
  • Over Nine Waves
Seán O'Casey was a major Irish dramatist and memoirist. A committed socialist, he was the first Irish playwright of note to write about the Dublin working classes.
More about Seán O'Casey...

“That’s the Irish People all over - they treat a serious thing as a joke and a joke as a serious thing.” 1 likes