Start by marking “Readings for Diversity and Social Justice” as Want to Read:
Readings for Diversity and Social Justice

Readings for Diversity and Social Justice

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  321 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
For over ten years, Readings for Diversity and Social Justice has been the go-to anthology for the broadest possible coverage of issues related to identity and oppression from a social justice perspective. This highly-anticipated second edition breaks even further ground, boasting over 40 more readings than previously available, updated and original section introductions, ...more
Published January 20th 2010 by Routledge (first published August 13th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Readings for Diversity and Social Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Readings for Diversity and Social Justice

Anna
Apr 25, 2013 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was for a class and I don't think that anyone would be reading it straight through, but it tends to paint a picture of oppression where there is none if you do. While I know that oppression, racism, sexism and other isms exist, I find that its hard to read about it when I myself choose to move on and work with it or through it. Maybe that's me. Anyway this was for a class not by choice.
Jordan
Sep 08, 2013 Jordan rated it liked it
Overall, a nice compilation of carefully chosen essays on Racism, Classism, Sexism, Heterosexism, Transgender Oppression, Ableism, and Ageism.

I still do not understand the nuances of the Context, Voices, and Next Steps sections; they all seem to be the same type of writing, and doing the same things? Is that just me? Whatever, I found the book to be informative and engaging, for the most part.

The last section of this book, on turning our newfound knowledge of privilege and oppression into soci
Lindsay Allison
Jan 13, 2015 Lindsay Allison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Despite the topics being near to my heart, this was yet another textbook that was just too difficult to read and get through. Just because the information is interesting doesn't mean I want to pour over tiny text with nothing to break it up. Presentation is important, people.

Again, the professor didn't require us to actually read so I gave up on this one.
Madeline
Nov 22, 2013 Madeline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for my freshman seminar class, and it was the most useless book I have ever read. It was worse than Animal Farm and 1964, both by George Orwell. I couldn't pay attention or focus for the entire book. Definitely the worst book I have ever read.
Hugh
Apr 16, 2008 Hugh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is one of the more valuable books on my shelf. A wonderful collection of timely and relevant readings that everyone should spend some time pondering.
Lisa
Apr 23, 2012 Lisa rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, school
Had to read this for school and hated it. It shouldn't take a book this large to teach the Golden Rule. Quit being judgmental assholes, people! It's not hard!
Nijole
have to read this for my diversity class. heterosexism?
Sherry
Dec 16, 2011 Sherry rated it really liked it
Helpful reading, complements the "Teaching" book very well.
Rachel
Dec 12, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important, pertinent reading. Sometimes the sections feel repetitive, outdated, and/or missing some perspective, but the book definitely has important messages, as well as a lot of well-known and lesser-known activist voices, including bell hooks, Cornel West, & others.
Jen
Jan 02, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thorough compilation on social justice issues. Newer editions have been updated to include transgender oppression and adultism. A must read and must own item for social justice educators.
Eric
Jan 24, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First 15 articles I've read have all been excellent. I really like the topic matrix and overall format. Has become a great reference for equity and social justice topics.
Dayspring
A must-have resource for social justice educators or anyone wishing to further their own understanding of oppression and privilege. The book is a collection of articles and book excerpts on a variety of topics related to diversity and social justice. Not exactly something you read cover-to-cover, but an excellent resource!
Shirley
Oct 24, 2008 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection.

The thing that always sticks out in my mind from this collection is the clear visual of breaking out of the norm mentally... the moment of awareness of the reality of oppression and the need for social justice.

Really comprehensive, covering stories from the key social identity groups.
Ashley
Jul 21, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked how each section was easy to read but also easy to relate to. The chapters were helpful in opening my eyes to things I would never be able to experience myself, and at the same time showing me what privilege really is. A really good read for my M.A. class!
Dec 02, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read this book cover to cover but I did read as much as I had to for my social justice class. Not my favorite textbook ever.
Rachel
Nov 08, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theory, higher-ed
I haven't read every single essay in this book, but it is the one that I am teaching from this semester. It has a lot to offer on many different topics, and is a good choice for a general social justice class.
Marissa
May 01, 2011 Marissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great essays and articles on a variety of topics including ableism, racism, sexism, anti-semitism, heterosexism, and classism. I find myself referring to it and recommending it often.
Cassie
it's required for one of my classes but really well put together. theory is nicely balanced with history and personal stories to make this less text-booky.
Brandy
Mar 01, 2015 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best text book I've ever read.
Sheila
Jan 25, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-related
The only text I remember from grad school. Great collection of essays.
Samantha
My social justice bible of short essays and amazerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs. YES!
Shelby
Jul 31, 2008 Shelby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A social justice/diversity primer.
Laurel
Mar 15, 2008 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best assigned textbook ever!
Amelia
May 07, 2014 Amelia rated it really liked it
Great reference.
Mandi
Jun 03, 2015 Mandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great anthology!
Geni
Geni marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Marion
Marion marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Caitlyn Lamdin
Caitlyn Lamdin marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Charity Lees
Charity Lees marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
  • The Color of Wealth: The Story Behind the U.S. Racial Wealth Divide
  • Words of Fire: An Anthology of African-American Feminist Thought
  • Freedom Dreams: The Black Radical Imagination
  • This Bridge We Call Home: Radical Visions for Transformation
  • Do Muslim Women Need Saving?
  • Can We Talk about Race?: And Other Conversations in an Era of School Resegregation
  • White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness
  • A History Of Marriage
  • The Transgender Studies Reader
  • Skin: Talking about Sex, Class and Literature
Professor Emerita at UMass Amherst, Maurianne Adams (Ph.D.) is co-editor/chapter author of Teaching for diversity and social justice (2nd edition, 2007) and the companion volume of readings Readings for diversity and social justice (3rd edition, 2013). She co-edited Strangers and neighbors: Relations between Blacks and Jews in the United States (1999) and edited Promoting Diversity in the College ...more
More about Maurianne Adams...