Start by marking “Readings for Diversity and Social Justice” as Want to Read:
Readings for Diversity and Social Justice

Readings for Diversity and Social Justice

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  20 reviews
For over ten years, Readings for Diversity and Social Justice has been the go-to anthology for the broadest possible coverage of issues related to identity and oppression from a social justice perspective. This highly-anticipated second edition breaks even further ground, boasting over 40 more readings than previously available, updated and original section introductions, ...more
Published January 20th 2010 by Routledge (first published August 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Readings for Diversity and Social Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Readings for Diversity and Social Justice

Jordan
Overall, a nice compilation of carefully chosen essays on Racism, Classism, Sexism, Heterosexism, Transgender Oppression, Ableism, and Ageism.

I still do not understand the nuances of the Context, Voices, and Next Steps sections; they all seem to be the same type of writing, and doing the same things? Is that just me? Whatever, I found the book to be informative and engaging, for the most part.

The last section of this book, on turning our newfound knowledge of privilege and oppression into soci
Sherry
Helpful reading, complements the "Teaching" book very well.
Eric
First 15 articles I've read have all been excellent. I really like the topic matrix and overall format. Has become a great reference for equity and social justice topics.
Anna
This was for a class and I don't think that anyone would be reading it straight through, but it tends to paint a picture of oppression where there is none if you do. While I know that oppression, racism, sexism and other isms exist, I find that its hard to read about it when I myself choose to move on and work with it or through it. Maybe that's me. Anyway this was for a class not by choice.
Dayspring
A must-have resource for social justice educators or anyone wishing to further their own understanding of oppression and privilege. The book is a collection of articles and book excerpts on a variety of topics related to diversity and social justice. Not exactly something you read cover-to-cover, but an excellent resource!
Shirley
Great collection.

The thing that always sticks out in my mind from this collection is the clear visual of breaking out of the norm mentally... the moment of awareness of the reality of oppression and the need for social justice.

Really comprehensive, covering stories from the key social identity groups.
Madeline
I had to read this for my freshman seminar class, and it was the most useless book I have ever read. It was worse than Animal Farm and 1964, both by George Orwell. I couldn't pay attention or focus for the entire book. Definitely the worst book I have ever read.
Rachel
I haven't read every single essay in this book, but it is the one that I am teaching from this semester. It has a lot to offer on many different topics, and is a good choice for a general social justice class.
Marissa
Great essays and articles on a variety of topics including ableism, racism, sexism, anti-semitism, heterosexism, and classism. I find myself referring to it and recommending it often.
Cassie
it's required for one of my classes but really well put together. theory is nicely balanced with history and personal stories to make this less text-booky.
Hugh
Apr 16, 2008 Hugh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is one of the more valuable books on my shelf. A wonderful collection of timely and relevant readings that everyone should spend some time pondering.
Lisa
Had to read this for school and hated it. It shouldn't take a book this large to teach the Golden Rule. Quit being judgmental assholes, people! It's not hard!
Sheila
The only text I remember from grad school. Great collection of essays.
Nijole
have to read this for my diversity class. heterosexism?
Shelby
A social justice/diversity primer.
Laurel
Best assigned textbook ever!
Brittney Smith
Brittney Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Phil Kim
Phil Kim marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
J
J is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
  • Race, Class, and Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study
  • The Transgender Studies Reader
  • White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of Race and Class for Women in Academia
  • Privilege, Power, and Difference
  • Pussy Riot!: A Punk Prayer for Freedom
  • Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman
  • A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America
  • Undivided Rights: Women of Color Organizing for Reproductive Justice
  • The Broken Mirror: Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder
Teaching for Diversity and Social Justice Strangers & Neighbors: Relations Between Blacks & Jews in the United States Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Promoting Diversity in College Classrooms: Innovative Responses for the Curriculum Racism