Start by marking “Just Me in the Tub (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just Me in the Tub (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)

Just Me in the Tub (Little Critter)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  17,083 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Tub time is fun time with Little Critter! Children will discover the secrets of having good, clean fun as they enjoy the antics of Little Critter in his warm and cozy bath. Full color.
Library Binding, 22 pages
Published June 2001 by Topeka Bindery (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Just Me in the Tub, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Me in the Tub

Jason Koivu
Nov 15, 2013 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it
***Read and reviewed with my niece Emma***

There's a certain lack of excitement in these books by Gina and Mercer Mayer, and yet we are absolutely enamored of them. I don't know what it is, but reading these makes Emma chill right out. She's all squirmy during hair-raising tales like The Gingerbread Man, but when we read one of these she becomes as cool as a little Fonzy. Maybe it's the main character's nonchalance or his drowsy, half-lidded eyes that lull her into a pleasant, near coma. Maybe sh
Courtney Hendrix
Mar 02, 2017 Courtney Hendrix rated it really liked it
This story is a story about a little bear who loves taking baths. The story outlines the processes he goes through when getting ready to take a bath and actually bathing. He really enjoys himself and always makes sure to follow a list of specific occurrences when bathing.

This story is good for kids because although it is a fun story, the underlining theme teaches children how to bathe properly and even how to clean up after themselves. It's a fun read while teaching a lesson which is always a g
Emily Pinson
Mar 02, 2017 Emily Pinson rated it really liked it
This book is about a little bear who really loves taking baths. He goes through a specific checklist every time he bathes and never strays from it.
This book is super cute! It is such a fun story that children can learn from!
If my children ever have a problem with not bathing properly at a young age, I can turn to this book as a crutch and reference it. It is engaging and can help them clean up after themselves.
Mary Parker
Dec 04, 2016 Mary Parker rated it really liked it
Little Critter and his bath time routine, where he has adventures in the tub with his toys. And makes a huge mess in the bathroom that he forgot to clean up.
Ashley
Dec 30, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it
A cute book about getting clean at bath time. It lacks some of the rhythm of the other Little Critter books, but my little one still loved it.
Vanessa Westen
Little Critter gets to take a bath all by himself. This is quite fun during play time, but he makes a big mess.
Lindsey Richard
One of my all time favorite "Little Critter" books (I've read almost all of them). Talks about a preparation for bath time before bed. Great pictures that go right along with describing words for them. Fun book in a mass of other books just like it.
Josiah
May 12, 2015 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Taking a bath can be a real job. But it always makes me feel warm and cozy."

—From Just Me in the Tub

Combining showing what not to do as well as what to do at bath time, Gina and Mercer Mayer let their famous and beloved Little Critter do the explaining of how to take a bath and what fun it can be.

A bath is primarily for getting clean, Little Critter knows, but there's more to it than that. A properly fun bath requires plenty of toys in the water, and maybe a ring of stuffed animals around
Camille Rivera
This book follows Little Critter as he tells the reader about how he takes a bath. He takes the reader step by step from turning on the water, to playing in the bath tub, to the process of cleaning everything up. The illustrations of this book are very charming and invite the reader into Little Critter's world which is so relatable to a child's. The wonderful illustrations really animate Little Critter and makes his basic activities more fun. Though I wouldn't say this book is my absolute favori ...more
Kat
Aug 03, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2013
Basic plot: Little Critter takes a bath all by himself!

This was another adorable installment of the Little Critter books where Critter describes how he does a big boy task "on his own." I put that in quotes because while he describes correct actions and what he *should* be doing, the pictures tell a somewhat different story. It's funny, though, and gives kids a sense of what they should be doing nonetheless. I love these stories, and think they have lots of value for both parents and children.
Kayla Payton
Oct 06, 2014 Kayla Payton rated it really liked it
Reading Level: Preschool-1st Grade

From reading, Just Me in the Tub, children will discover the secrets of having good, clean fun as they enjoy watching a fictional little critter take a warm and cozy bath before bed time. However, the ending is sweet and adorable where the little critter goes to cuddle with his parents after being a big boy and taking a bath all by himself. This is a perfect book for very young children to have read to them because it teaches them how to take a bath and what th
Brent Rogers
Jan 22, 2015 Brent Rogers rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-read, owned, kids
This is a fun book for children because taking a bath can be fun, while also getting clean. Little Critter plays with toys while he bathes, as I’m sure many children do. This book also teaches that it is important to always put your toys away and clean up any mess you have made after taking a bath.
Robert J
Feb 20, 2015 Robert J rated it liked it
This Little Critter book by Mercer Mayer is an easy read for young children and can be used to encourage those who are reluctant about bath time. Having fun at bath time as well as bath safety is promoted. The whole Little Critter collection deals with different issues and/or fears that young children encounter. In that respect they remind me of the Berenstain Bears series of books.
Miri
Nov 01, 2013 Miri rated it liked it
I love the little critter stories, there are so many to choose from, some about mom, some about dads, grandmas and grandpas, annoying siblings, bad dreams, being afraid of the dark. You're bound to find one that your kids will enjoy.
Tara Geske
Nov 30, 2012 Tara Geske rated it it was amazing
I really love this book! I remember reading it when I was a child. This is a perfect book for very young children to have read to them because it teaches them how to take a bath and what they should do and why you do it.
Brittany Binning
Apr 20, 2016 Brittany Binning rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mercer-mayer
All of Mercer Mayer's books seem to have situations that children can learn from or about. This one happens to be about bath time. I would be great to read if you wanted to address staying clean, and how they can do that.
Stephanie
Aug 27, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Love all of these stories. Great for any kids who have fears. Helps them connect with the characters to make times like bath time more enjoyable and less scary.
Michele Olson
Jul 24, 2015 Michele Olson rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The Little Critter series was a favorite of my son and now his own daughter. I'd say that it stood the test of time.
Melissa
Sep 01, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng-261
This is a realistic ficiton book about the importance of hygiene . It's best for younger elementary students. 5 stars because I love it.
Lauren
Apr 27, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This book is great for children especially when they learn to start reading. It teaches great morals and ideals for everyone to have and great general life lessons.
Sam Samuleasdaiufaiufb
May 19, 2015 Sam Samuleasdaiufaiufb rated it did not like it
sucks so much this book needs to be burned what is it about i don't know its about some idit fuz face eating his own bath what kind of story is that so dum 0.000004/1000
Bethany
This is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors Mercer Mayer. I like this book because my mom read this series to me as a child. A great read aloud book.
Heather
Feb 23, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
45 months - Other than I hope it doesn't encourage a child to take a bath unattended by an adult this is a fun story.
Connie
May 14, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading many of these Mercer Mayer books to my little sister, they are fun and the little critters are so cute!
Carol
Sep 07, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it

Mercer Mayer is a long time favorite going back to our childhoods...lucky to share with our little critter.
Jess
Mar 03, 2012 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: readreviewed
This is a great book to read with kids I work with at schools and they always seem to enjoy it, their are a few books like this and this is one of them.
Tara
Aug 08, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it
Cute book. Just what you'd expect from a little critter. It's a nice story for showing kids they can be independent and make bath time and really bed time fun.
Lori Tatar
Mar 10, 2012 Lori Tatar rated it really liked it
A great book for preschoolers, it makes bathtime easy and fun, something they will actually want to do!
Adrienne
Feb 25, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Little Critter certainly makes bath time interesting--and messy. Very realistic--but with a sweet ending with him cuddling with his parents.
ABC
Jan 10, 2009 ABC rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
Little Critter takes a bath all by himself. Warning: He makes a bit of a mess! But don't worry, he cleans it up.
  • Just Me and My Mom (Little Critter)
  • The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School
  • Curious George Visits the Library
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Clifford's Halloween

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad