Nim at Sea

Nim at Sea

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In a plam tree, on an island, in the middle of the wild blue sea, was a girl. That girl was Nim. Nim lives on the island with her father Jack, a marine iguana called Fred, a sea lion called Selkie and their new friend Alex Rover. But one terrible day, Alex flies away withour saying goodbye and Selkie is sea lion-napped by nasty villians - Nim must find them both before it'...more
Published 2008 by Puffin Books

To ask other readers questions about Nim at Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nim at Sea

Theresa
I wish I had found Nim's Island along with this companion piece, maybe I would have enjoyed it more.

I really don't get why Nim calls her father by his given name.

Anyway, Wendy Orr is very good at making me feel anxious. I felt anxious over them taking Selkie and Nim trying to save her. The entire thing was belly churning to me. I'm sure as a young kid reading it, I would have seen a fun adventure. Now I see a desperate father who has no idea where his little girl is. Strange how one's age chang...more
george
In the companion to Nim's Island, Alex has moved to the island with Jack and Nim, but it's not paradise. Nim gets mad at Alex and says something she shouldn't--and Alex decides to leave. Nim feels incredibly guilty about this and goes off to mope. But suddenly she realizes that Selkie's been kidnapped! By the evil Troppo Tourists! Nim goes after her and soon becomes a stowaway on the cruise ship where she meets new friends and discovers some disturbing things. The way to Manhattan is paved with...more
Márcia
Nim at Sea was so fun and such an improvement from Nim's Island! I really enjoyed the adventure and I wish I was half as brave as Nim. Loved Nim's character and the animals (who can resist Fred and Selkie's cuteness?) were especially well described and had a personality of their own. Really really liked it! :)

Laurel Bradshaw
I liked this better than Nim's Island. It had a little more action and suspense - more like the movie version of Nim's Island. I hope they'll make a movie of this one too.

Book Description from Amazon.com
This time Nim’s the fish-out-of-water as she stows away on a cruise ship to save her kidnapped sea lion friend. Accompanied by her likeable iguana, Fred, the island girl lands with a splash in Manhattan, on the run from of a very Bad Guy, and on her way to reunite with her friend, cowardly advent...more
Emma
Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amy Brown
Cute book. Fun sequel. The Troppo Cruise company is back, this time kidnapping Shelkie. Nim has a fight with Alex and Alex decides to leave island thinking that Nim and Jack are tired of her. When Nim finds out that Shelkie has been kidnapped she goes after the cruise ship with Fred and is rescued by a boat from that ship. Once onboard she tries to figure out how to rescue Shelkie while making sure that no one realizes that she is a stowaway.
Kristin
What a fun sequel to "Nim's Island!" I read it aloud to our family while we traveled via ferry between Canada and Washington, which added to the fun! We hope there's going to be a book 3!

This is completely a kid's book...things happen very conveniently (but not so easily that there's no tension for the kids, adults, however, won't find it the most griping tale). Thanks for a fun story, Wendy Orr!
Janisu-chan
This is the sequel to 'Nim's Island.' Just as exciting as the first book with the nemesis being a 'professor' that collects rare animals to sell. Of course, Selkie is abducted, so Nim has to save her and goes on an adventure. Not as good as the first book, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one became a movie, too with how it was written. Kind of a kid-power story.
Catherine Mitchell
Of course Babe and I had to read the sequel, and we both enjoyed it as much as the original. Adding the element of friends for Nim helped make her second adventure true-to-life, again helping to keep it not too fantasy-like for Babe. I hope for a third adventure for our new friend, Nim!
Jez
Nim ses her friend Selkie the sea lion captured by the Troppo Tourists. She mistakingly thinks she has sent her friend Alex Rover away from her island. So in pursuit of Selkie and Alex, Nim stows away aboard a cruise ship and must travel across sea to find them in NYC.
Dalan
Amitha
Just as cute as the first one--with a bit more action--though I wished it had taken place on Nim's little island again. But there were monkeys in this one ;P so it's a trade-off... I read this book on my Kindle and still enjoyed the hilarious illustrations.
Elaine
This was a great sequel! I loved seeing Nim interact with other kids. And I liked that the Troppo Tourists get to be individuals now. The bad guy is one person among the employees of the Troppo Tourists.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Very cute children's chapter book. First book, Nim's Island is more fun as it's a tropical island with a volcano, etc. Here, she's stuck on a cruise ship but it's still cute and fun.
Kirsten
Not bad, but it didn't feel quite as fanciful as the first one. Maybe it was the down-to-earth setting, but it felt like any number of children's books.
Ciria
I believe Nim's island was a better book. But this was still a fun book to read to the kids. A great book to get a child's imagination going.
Havilah
Ruth and I both LOVED Nim's Island. This second book did not dissappoint. I love Wendy Orr's writing style. Recommended.
Betsy
May 21, 2008 Betsy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Betsy by: GraceAnne
One Sentence Review: It's Wendy Orr writing about Nim and throwing in an author with low self-esteem issues; what's not to love?
Laurie
Just as fun as the first one! I still haven't seen the movie version of Nim's Island, but I doubt it can compare.
Jacqui Ainsworth
Sep 04, 2008 Jacqui Ainsworth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, kids
Shelves: homeschooling
A cute book and a great readaloud. The kids love it! It is not as good as Nim's Island but still a fun read!
This is a cute children's book. Perfect for 2nd-maybe 4th grade.
Emily
Reading with Ollie & Max. We loved Nim's Island so much!
Megan
I wasn't able to suspend reality enough to enjoy this book.
Catarina
E quando eles se abraçaram dentro de água eu ia chorando.
Nikki
Kia and I are reading this one together...we love Nim!
Susan
I enjoyed the book but it's not as good as "Nim's Island."
Maddie
i loved it! (the seguele to nims island)
Yogesh Aggarwal
Good book to read and let children read it.
Owlfishseal
I loved this book. So much action and adventure!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
I’m an author, but I could never have started writing books if I hadn’t loved reading them first. Reading isn’t just one of my favourite things to do; it’s one of the most important things in my life. I can’t imagine a world in which I couldn’t read, every day. That’s why I always read to my children every day, just as my parents used to read to me. Stories can be exciting, sad, funny, scary or co...more
More about Wendy Orr...
Nim's Island Peeling the Onion The Princess and Her Panther LOST! A Dog Called Bear Mokie and Bik