Start by marking “Nim at Sea” as Want to Read:
Nim at Sea

Nim at Sea (Nim #2)

In a plam tree, on an island, in the middle of the wild blue sea, was a girl. That girl was Nim. Nim lives on the island with her father Jack, a marine iguana called Fred, a sea lion called Selkie and their new friend Alex Rover. But one terrible day, Alex flies away withour saying goodbye and Selkie is sea lion-napped by nasty villians - Nim must find them both before it' ...more
Published 2008 by Puffin Books

To ask other readers questions about Nim at Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nim at Sea

Kristine Hansen
Oct 19, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-adventure
I was so excited to see another book about Nim after having read the first one. Yay for Nim!

This one takes Nim off the island - and everyone else too. As usual Nim is amazingly resourceful, and her animal friends seem to understand her and each other perfectly. In case you were missing the message about the destruction tourists do to the environment in the first book, you get beat over the head with it a bit here. But in a good way. If anything, hopefully it will make kids think a bit as they tr
J.D.Staton
Sep 20, 2015 J.D.Staton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An appealing, joy-filled book series, similar to Pippi Longstocking tales, in the overall optimist, carefree, creative tone of the main character and her two young sidekicks. For early chapter book readers, this second book in the series shows what happens when Alex and Nim have a brief, emotional clash which sets a series of events in motion leading each of the Nim's Island protagonists (both human and animal) to set out on separate and unexpected journeys to New York City. The charming maps an ...more
george
Jun 19, 2008 george rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the companion to Nim's Island, Alex has moved to the island with Jack and Nim, but it's not paradise. Nim gets mad at Alex and says something she shouldn't--and Alex decides to leave. Nim feels incredibly guilty about this and goes off to mope. But suddenly she realizes that Selkie's been kidnapped! By the evil Troppo Tourists! Nim goes after her and soon becomes a stowaway on the cruise ship where she meets new friends and discovers some disturbing things. The way to Manhattan is paved with ...more
Laurel Bradshaw
I liked this better than Nim's Island. It had a little more action and suspense - more like the movie version of Nim's Island. I hope they'll make a movie of this one too.

Book Description from Amazon.com
This time Nim’s the fish-out-of-water as she stows away on a cruise ship to save her kidnapped sea lion friend. Accompanied by her likeable iguana, Fred, the island girl lands with a splash in Manhattan, on the run from of a very Bad Guy, and on her way to reunite with her friend, cowardly advent
Michelle Athanas
Jun 03, 2016 Michelle Athanas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute! If you've read the first book or have seen the movie Nim's Island. You will enjoy reading Nim's adventure of saving her friend Selkie and finding Alex. Looking forward for a third book.
Minh Trang
Nov 02, 2016 Minh Trang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Câu chuyện về một cô bé mạnh mẽ, sống cùng bố trên một hòn đảo xinh đẹp, bầu bạn cùng sư tử biển, rùa biển và giông mào :))

Tuy sống trên đảo nhưng hai bố con không bị tách biệt với thế giới bên ngoài. Họ vẫn dùng máy tính và điện thoại, vẫn đọc sách và thi thoảng gặp người đưa nhu yếu phẩm. Người cha say mê nghiên cứu tự nhiên và các loại sinh vật phù du. Cô con gái nhỏ mê đọc sách phiêu lưu, và ước ao được gặp tác giả cuốn sách để bày tỏ lòng ngưỡng mộ…

Mình rất thích cách tác giả miêu tả về cản
Theresa
I wish I had found Nim's Island along with this companion piece, maybe I would have enjoyed it more.

I really don't get why Nim calls her father by his given name.

Anyway, Wendy Orr is very good at making me feel anxious. I felt anxious over them taking Selkie and Nim trying to save her. The entire thing was belly churning to me. I'm sure as a young kid reading it, I would have seen a fun adventure. Now I see a desperate father who has no idea where his little girl is. Strange how one's age chang
Kristin
Aug 25, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun sequel to "Nim's Island!" I read it aloud to our family while we traveled via ferry between Canada and Washington, which added to the fun! We hope there's going to be a book 3!

This is completely a kid's book...things happen very conveniently (but not so easily that there's no tension for the kids, adults, however, won't find it the most griping tale). Thanks for a fun story, Wendy Orr!
Amy Brown
Apr 26, 2008 Amy Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-3rdgrade
Cute book. Fun sequel. The Troppo Cruise company is back, this time kidnapping Shelkie. Nim has a fight with Alex and Alex decides to leave island thinking that Nim and Jack are tired of her. When Nim finds out that Shelkie has been kidnapped she goes after the cruise ship with Fred and is rescued by a boat from that ship. Once onboard she tries to figure out how to rescue Shelkie while making sure that no one realizes that she is a stowaway.
Márcia
Jul 08, 2014 Márcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Nim at Sea was so fun and such an improvement from Nim's Island! I really enjoyed the adventure and I wish I was half as brave as Nim. Loved Nim's character and the animals (who can resist Fred and Selkie's cuteness?) were especially well described and had a personality of their own. Really really liked it! :)

Janis
Jan 02, 2009 Janis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
This is the sequel to 'Nim's Island.' Just as exciting as the first book with the nemesis being a 'professor' that collects rare animals to sell. Of course, Selkie is abducted, so Nim has to save her and goes on an adventure. Not as good as the first book, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one became a movie, too with how it was written. Kind of a kid-power story.
Amitha
Feb 26, 2009 Amitha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as cute as the first one--with a bit more action--though I wished it had taken place on Nim's little island again. But there were monkeys in this one ;P so it's a trade-off... I read this book on my Kindle and still enjoyed the hilarious illustrations.
Catherine Mitchell
Of course Babe and I had to read the sequel, and we both enjoyed it as much as the original. Adding the element of friends for Nim helped make her second adventure true-to-life, again helping to keep it not too fantasy-like for Babe. I hope for a third adventure for our new friend, Nim!
Jez
Mar 05, 2009 Jez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nim ses her friend Selkie the sea lion captured by the Troppo Tourists. She mistakingly thinks she has sent her friend Alex Rover away from her island. So in pursuit of Selkie and Alex, Nim stows away aboard a cruise ship and must travel across sea to find them in NYC.
Dalan
Sep 05, 2010 Dalan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elaine
This was a great sequel! I loved seeing Nim interact with other kids. And I liked that the Troppo Tourists get to be individuals now. The bad guy is one person among the employees of the Troppo Tourists.
Susan
Aug 09, 2008 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-2008
I enjoyed the book but it's not as good as "Nim's Island."
Catarina
E quando eles se abraçaram dentro de água eu ia chorando.
Havilah
May 16, 2010 Havilah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruth and I both LOVED Nim's Island. This second book did not dissappoint. I love Wendy Orr's writing style. Recommended.
Yogesh Aggarwal
Good book to read and let children read it.
Clare
Mar 20, 2013 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic to read with an 8 year old.
Emily
Reading with Ollie & Max. We loved Nim's Island so much!
ZB
Mar 21, 2016 ZB rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a little confusing and it took me some effort to read...
When I was 4!!
Maddie
Dec 03, 2008 Maddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved it! (the seguele to nims island)
Betsy
May 20, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Betsy by: GraceAnne
One Sentence Review: It's Wendy Orr writing about Nim and throwing in an author with low self-esteem issues; what's not to love?
Jacqui Ainsworth
Jul 17, 2008 Jacqui Ainsworth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, kids
Shelves: homeschooling
A cute book and a great readaloud. The kids love it! It is not as good as Nim's Island but still a fun read!
Hillvan
850L. Young reader liked this one better than the first.
Sydney S
Jun 22, 2015 Sydney S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it was funny that Alex and Nim were on the same boat and they didn't even know.
Kirsten
Not bad, but it didn't feel quite as fanciful as the first one. Maybe it was the down-to-earth setting, but it felt like any number of children's books.
  • Fern Gully
  • Сказка о рыбаке и рыбке
  • The Whale
  • Jenny Goes to Sea
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • Horrible Harry Goes to Sea
  • 100 Days and 99 Nights
  • Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles (Madame Pamplemousse, #1)
  • Living Wild: The Ultimate Guide to Scouting and Fieldcraft
  • The Last Shot
  • Stirring It Up (Dish, #1)
  • United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories
  • Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley
  • The Cheese
  • Boats
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers
  • Odious Oceans (Horrible Geography)
  • Animorphs Box Set: The Invasion / The Visitor / The Encounter / The Message (Animorphs, #1-4)
I’m an author, but I could never have started writing books if I hadn’t loved reading them first. Reading isn’t just one of my favourite things to do; it’s one of the most important things in my life. I can’t imagine a world in which I couldn’t read, every day. That’s why I always read to my children every day, just as my parents used to read to me. Stories can be exciting, sad, funny, scary or co ...more
More about Wendy Orr...