Start by marking “Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom

Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  25 reviews
How do you respond to a dinner invitation that says "Eight for eight thirty"? What might induce you to get off a London train at a place called Mud Chute? When is it okay to drive over a sleeping policeman? And why do teh Brits keep saying "Who's she, the cat's mother"?
Rules, Britannia is an invaluable resource for Americans who want to make a smooth transition when v
Published April 1st 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published March 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rules, Britannia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules, Britannia

Mike Gabor
Having close ties to England, been going there since the 1970's and my daughter currently lives in London, I am always on the lookout for this type of book. I found this one to be very informative and quite funny at times. The author has a wonderful sense of humor. She gives you a good feel for England and mentions a few things that other books don't, such as, the reason for never using the pronouns, him or her, in certain situations. Gives a good explanation of the M, A, and B roads in England. ...more
C.
I had such fun reading this book. It will give the readers many chuckles and surprises to discover the many differences of American English from Brit English.

Highly recommended for Anglophiles and those visiting or moving to England.
Elisa
Funny, informative, full of lots of useful, interesting information. I mentioned to my friend who's currently studying in London that I was reading it and he said he read it before he moved and found it very useful. This would be a fun read for people who aren't relocating, too- or those going on a vacation, or just straight up anglophiles.
Lynda
I didn't realize when I picked up this ebook that it was written in 2006 as the ebook edition was 2013, so I found quite a bit of the references to be dated. Certainly in regards to cell phone usage and the like. Also, I found it to be written from a far more personal view than I expected. The reviews said it was hilarious, but it was not and only occasionally somewhat funny. There were far too many lists, and I, being Canadian, didn't find myself to be as mystified by the vocabulary here as the ...more
Anna-Liisa
When I first got this book I just flicked through the chapters that interested me. Then I went back and filled in the gaps from start to finish. The list of words that may need translation at the end of each chapter is useful, especially for someone who has never had any exposure to the UK or British culture as she explains American words NOT to use. I found the chapter about the school system informative as I've never understood how it works despite my own experiences in the Australian school s ...more
Smitten by Britain
A handy guide to life in Britain and a don't miss for Anglophiles and tourists travelling to the UK for the first time. Clever and concise, as a Briton herself Mrs. Hargis knows of what she speaks. Now living in the mid-west United States, you can enjoy her musing on life as an expat at http://www.expatmum.blogspot.com
Jacquelyn
Apr 05, 2008 Jacquelyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans visiting/relocating to the UK for any extended period of time
Very informative and well-written. Found myself re-reading and laughing outloud at many of the US/UK differences explained. The pronunciation and glossary sections at the end of each chapter are very helpful. I'll likely read this again and again before (and probably after) temporarily moving abroad.
Jen On the Edge
This book shares the ins and outs of living in the UK from a native's perspective. I especially learned a lot in the chapter on the differences between British English and American English, but now fear that I may have been unintentionally offending my British friends over the years.
mundiemom5
This is an excellent "need to know" guide to living like a normal British person in England (or Scotland, Ireland, or Wales for that matter). If your planning to move there this is a must read. I enjoyed learning about the everyday life of living in the United Kingdom.
Erica
I got some good insight into the differences between the UK and the US. I read it because I don't want to make an ass of myself on my upcoming trip to the UK. Some of the information seemed a bit obvious to me, some of it was enlightening.
Yingtai
It was unreadable. There were a lot of lists. But it is a hell of a reference.

Beware of the Kindle edition. There are typos that are undetectable unless you already know Britspeak, which is problematic for a book of this kind.
Bill Hassall
Very helpful. Explanation as to new terms that I am going to encounter in the UK. I will no longer call something a "fanny pack" - UK equivalent - "pussy pack".
Gross. I recommend to those who are about to live in the UK.
Kristen
A gift from the very thoughtful Laura! This has definitely come in handy. Some of the information she gives seems a little iffy, but for the most part, it is a useful guide. I will definitely be referring to it often.
R.L.
This is a handy guide for those Americans wishing to visit or move to Britain. Everyone should learn the differences that aren't really differences between our two cultures.
Bethany Schwartz
An OK read but didn't find it that helpful. I recently moved to the UK and found more useful information on-line. Also would recommend "Living and Working in London"
stephanie
not the best writing nor an engaging narrative, but really useful tidbits of information that help someone culturally/professionally/socially adapt to life in UK
Kiri
Cute but essentially not a lot of substance. It wasn't "insider" enough for me, not nearly as educational as the excellent "Bum Bags and Fanny Packs".
Tori
2008- Basically a handbook for ""Yanks"" going across the pond to live. Not really what I was expecting, but I'm sure it's useful for those relocating.
Melanie
Fun read - although perhaps a bit dated - for the plane. The section on language and pronunciation is by far the best.
Amy Prewitt
Good to know I've already made some blunders while visiting England last year. Here's hoping I'm ready to live there!
Alison
Pretty good British etiquette book peppered with a bit of humor written by an ex-pat living in Chicago.
Katrina Becker
Someday this book will come in handy... Someday...
Lauren
Will definitely be reading this again! Extremely helpful.
Mrs
Book is both funny and educational, I loved it very much.
Stephanie
Hiiiiiiiiiiiil-freaking-larious!
indigo583
indigo583 marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Sheri Humble
Sheri Humble marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
The Tyler Group, Utvecklingen i UK utrikespolitik 2 1 Nov 06, 2012 06:42PM
  • Brit-Think, Ameri-Think: A Transatlantic Survival Guide
  • The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British
  • It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina--and Real Greeks
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • A Yank Back to England: The Prodigal Tourist Returns
  • Knickers in a Twist: A Dictionary of British Slang
  • Trading With The Enemy: A Yankee Travels Through Castro's Cuba
  • Me, Myself & Prague: An Unreliable Guide to Bohemia
  • Japan Through the Looking Glass
  • The Axe and the Oath: Ordinary Life in the Middle Ages
  • In Darwin's Shadow: The Life and Science of Alfred Russel Wallace
  • New Europe
  • I Should Have Stayed Home: The Worst Trips of Great Writers (Travel Literature Series)
  • The Indian Slave Trade: The Rise Of The English Empire In The American South, 1670-1717
  • The People's Guide to Mexico
  • A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
  • The Hotel on the Roof of the World: From Miss Tibet to Shangri La
  • Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour
The Stress-Free Guide to Studying in the States - A Step by Step Plan for International Students The Stress-Free Guide to Studying in the States - a Step-by-Step Plan for International Students