Start by marking “Odin's Gateways” as Want to Read:
Odin's Gateways

Odin's Gateways

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"The runes you must find ... Which the mighty sage stained and the powerful gods made and the runemaster of the gods carved out." (The Poetic Edda, translated by C. Larrington) The runes are mysterious and powerful magical keys to the primal forces of nature that shaped Norse and Northern European culture. These twenty-four unique and inspiring symbols of the Elder Futhark ...more
Published November 25th 2009 by Avalonia

To ask other readers questions about Odin's Gateways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odin's Gateways

Naftoli
I just picked up reading at page 67 where I left off when I realized that I finished it last month and put it down to ponder. Yikes, I'm losing my mind!

I bought this book because I am drawn to things Norse ... Asatru, the myths, the values, the fighting, Norse seafaring, Norse influence on Britain ... if it's Norse I probably either LIKE it or LOVE it.

But this books sucks the big one! Perhaps the runes are the only thing Norse that bores me or perhaps it the author's presentation. Is it New-agey
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
If you know nothing about runes but are curious about them then I can definitely recommend you start with this book. It gives you a brief but detailed history of the runes. Enough to whet your appetite but not overpowering. It goes into how to put the runes to a practical use but without giving you the 'definition' of each rune. It is explained so well in the book that you must put your own interpretation on each rune, rather than just "this means that, and that means this". The Norse Gods and t ...more
Steve Cran
To receive the knowledge of the Runes Odin hung upside down for 9 days and had one of his eyes pecked out by a raven. At least that is how the legend goes. In reality the Runes were developed by the Northern Europeans and spread over the England. Three Runic alphabets developed Futhark, Futhork and Elder Furthark. This book focuses on the Elder Futhark.

Author Katie Gerard had worked with the Runes for well over ten years before she decided to write this book. At the books beginning there is a br
Ambrosio
A good book for the beginner and intermediate student of the runes.

After reading the book I concluded that the author knows its trade, all along the pages you can see that she can take you to the real depths of the runic knowledge. However, she prefers to stay on the known path and only shares the basic knowledge. She cites a lot of the good and bad authors as if looking for some backing. This in the end makes a great starting book and a kind of bland intermediate book for the student of the run
Gabriel M. Clarke
I'm not entirely sure how to begin writing a quick review of a book on such a large subject. It's certainly a deeply felt, practical, clearly written guide to beginning working with Runes and Gerrard makes the most of more than a decade of carefully considered experiential wisdom. I'd have liked to seen a little more consideration of more modern secondary sources and I felt that she leaned too much on a couple of new age/pagan writers at times. There's a tension here which perhaps has more to do ...more
Gene Brickman
Mar 10, 2014 Gene Brickman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diane
I like how the author takes the sagas along with the runes to teach them to you. There are a few extra things in the book was not for me, but is a part of learning the runes.
Sharon Reamer
Dec 10, 2014 Sharon Reamer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: practitioners of runecraft
Shelves: research
The third of the rune books I've recently read. I found this one more esoteric than the others and not quite as useful for what I was looking for as I was mainly interested in learning about the runes as historic and religious implements.

But others who are into casting the runes or using them in everyday life may find this book more useful. The Kindle version is not too pricey which was a big plus.
Kecia
I was disappointed. Much too New Age.

I did appreciate her inclination toward using a rune cast as opposed to laying out a spread as is done in Tarot.

That's the best thing I can find to say about it.
Crow Bait
Crow Bait marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Danya
Danya marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Dave Odrowski
Dave Odrowski marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Emma Folkes
Emma Folkes marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Paula Shuler
Paula Shuler marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Shane
Shane is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
Linsay
Linsay marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2015
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Laura Fuller
Laura Fuller marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Katie Gerrard is a writer, researcher and workshop facilitator with a passion for the magic of Seidr and the Runes. She has been studying the different forms of Norse magic and working with the Norse Gods since discovering them in the 1990s, when she was at university in West Wales.

Katie lectures and facilitates workshops at national and international events on esoteric subjects, as well as facili
More about Katie Gerrard...
Seidr: The Gate is Open The Legacy of Hagger's Hill Priestesses Pythonesses Sibyls - The Sacred Voices of Women Who Speak with and for the Gods