Start by marking “Odin's Gateways” as Want to Read:
Odin's Gateways

Odin's Gateways

"The runes you must find ... Which the mighty sage stained and the powerful gods made and the runemaster of the gods carved out." (The Poetic Edda, translated by C. Larrington) The runes are mysterious and powerful magical keys to the primal forces of nature that shaped Norse and Northern European culture. These twenty-four unique and inspiring symbols of the Elder Futhark ...more
Published November 25th 2009 by Avalonia

To ask other readers questions about Odin's Gateways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odin's Gateways

Naftoli
Mar 19, 2012 Naftoli rated it did not like it
Shelves: religion, 2012, heathen
I just picked up reading at page 67 where I left off when I realized that I finished it last month and put it down to ponder. Yikes, I'm losing my mind!

I bought this book because I am drawn to things Norse ... Asatru, the myths, the values, the fighting, Norse seafaring, Norse influence on Britain ... if it's Norse I probably either LIKE it or LOVE it.

But this books sucks the big one! Perhaps the runes are the only thing Norse that bores me or perhaps it the author's presentation. Is it New-agey
Steve Cran
Jun 10, 2012 Steve Cran rated it it was amazing
To receive the knowledge of the Runes Odin hung upside down for 9 days and had one of his eyes pecked out by a raven. At least that is how the legend goes. In reality the Runes were developed by the Northern Europeans and spread over the England. Three Runic alphabets developed Futhark, Futhork and Elder Furthark. This book focuses on the Elder Futhark.

Author Katie Gerard had worked with the Runes for well over ten years before she decided to write this book. At the books beginning there is a br
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
If you know nothing about runes but are curious about them then I can definitely recommend you start with this book. It gives you a brief but detailed history of the runes. Enough to whet your appetite but not overpowering. It goes into how to put the runes to a practical use but without giving you the 'definition' of each rune. It is explained so well in the book that you must put your own interpretation on each rune, rather than just "this means that, and that means this". The Norse Gods and t ...more
Ambrosio
Feb 03, 2012 Ambrosio rated it liked it
Shelves: magic
A good book for the beginner and intermediate student of the runes.

After reading the book I concluded that the author knows its trade, all along the pages you can see that she can take you to the real depths of the runic knowledge. However, she prefers to stay on the known path and only shares the basic knowledge. She cites a lot of the good and bad authors as if looking for some backing. This in the end makes a great starting book and a kind of bland intermediate book for the student of the run
Gabriel Clarke
Dec 17, 2011 Gabriel Clarke rated it really liked it
I'm not entirely sure how to begin writing a quick review of a book on such a large subject. It's certainly a deeply felt, practical, clearly written guide to beginning working with Runes and Gerrard makes the most of more than a decade of carefully considered experiential wisdom. I'd have liked to seen a little more consideration of more modern secondary sources and I felt that she leaned too much on a couple of new age/pagan writers at times. There's a tension here which perhaps has more to do ...more
Sharon Reamer
Aug 09, 2014 Sharon Reamer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: practitioners of runecraft
The third of the rune books I've recently read. I found this one more esoteric than the others and not quite as useful for what I was looking for as I was mainly interested in learning about the runes as historic and religious implements.

But others who are into casting the runes or using them in everyday life may find this book more useful. The Kindle version is not too pricey which was a big plus.
Kecia
Aug 29, 2012 Kecia rated it did not like it
I was disappointed. Much too New Age.

I did appreciate her inclination toward using a rune cast as opposed to laying out a spread as is done in Tarot.

That's the best thing I can find to say about it.
Äsruþr Cyneaþsson
A good book on the runes. Gerrad's work makes for a very readable introduction to a complex subject and is the perfect platform for the runer simply wishing to gain a basic understanding of the runes.
Gene Brickman
Feb 12, 2014 Gene Brickman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diane
I like how the author takes the sagas along with the runes to teach them to you. There are a few extra things in the book was not for me, but is a part of learning the runes.
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Farina
Farina rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Cheralyn Darcey
Cheralyn Darcey rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2014
Jeraldine
Jeraldine rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2014
JozipF.
JozipF. rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
William Hall
William Hall rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Emmeli Karlsson
Emmeli Karlsson rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Issel
Issel rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Richelle
Richelle rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Norah Djävul
Norah Djävul rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Gary Ramey
Gary Ramey rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2017
Walkedinline
Walkedinline rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Martine Wood
Martine Wood rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2010
Mikki McCoy
Mikki McCoy rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2012
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Sophie Witchwood
Sophie Witchwood rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Loganpup
Loganpup rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Jessi Caldwell
Jessi Caldwell rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Bart
Bart rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Katie Gerrard is a writer, researcher and workshop facilitator with a passion for the magic of Seidr and the Runes. She has been studying the different forms of Norse magic and working with the Norse Gods since discovering them in the 1990s, when she was at university in West Wales.

Katie lectures and facilitates workshops at national and international events on esoteric subjects, as well as facili
More about Katie Gerrard...