Start by marking “Death Cloud (Young Sherlock Holmes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death Cloud (Young Sherlock Holmes, #1)

Death Cloud (Young Sherlock Holmes #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  3,731 ratings  ·  719 reviews
1868 England, Sherlock Holmes 14 unexpectedly summers with Farnham relations, befriends orphan Matt. Why does a dark cloud float from a corpse covered in red boils? Sherlock fights, runs, gets caught, drugged, whipped, ordered killed; defending bystander is fatally knifed. Americans, logical tutor Amyus Crowe and daughter Virginia in well-fitting breeches help.
Published June 4th 2010 by Macmillan Children's (first published January 1st 2010)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I'm going to put this book in the 'not bad, but could have been better' classification. I have my own perceptions about how young Sherlock Holmes would be and this one isn't real close to my ideas. Yeah, I'm not sure I can clarify that right now, so I won't try. I just found the book disappointing in how it did craft young Holmes.

I did like the fact that Holmes has a mentor in an American who brings to mind a cross between Mark Twain and Wyatt Earp/Doc Holiday. Mr. Crow helps to develop Holmes'
Joel
Feb 24, 2011 Joel marked it as to-not-read-ever  ·  review of another edition
[image error]
It's elementary, my dear Usher.

"To Justin Bieber she is always THE woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Robyn Rihanna Fenty. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his swooping, precise but admirably balanced bangs.

He was, I take it, the most perfect grin flashing and eyelash-fluttering machine that the world has seen,
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I'm just going to get this review out of the way, because I have a lot of reviews to do and not much to say about this book.

Essentially, Death Cloud is the first book in a series about a teenage Sherlock Holmes. According to the original cover of this book, he looked a lot like Justin Bieber in his youth:

...

Basically, J. Biebs Sherlock Holmes is trying to solve a mystery in this book involving a mysterious cloud that has been descending on people and leaving them dead with creepy boils all over
Peyton
A book recounting the childhood of Sherlock Holmes should be fascinating, witty, clever, and interesting. Death Cloud is none of those things. Sherlock Holmes has endured in popularity because of his unique personality--but Andrew Lane doesn't give his Holmes any personality at all. In my mind, a young Sherlock would be much like Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce: brash, brilliant, and imaginative with a thirst for knowledge and adventure. According to Lane, however, Holmes never showed any particul ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
I find Sherlock Holmes MUCH more interesting as an extremely educated, arrogant drug-using eccentric than as a smart, highly coiffed, but not-particularly-peculiar teenager. But then, what can you expect when Sherlock appears to be a Justin Bieber clone on the cover of the book? I know Sherlock, and the Bieb is not him.
The set up: Fourteen-year-old Sherlock is left to his own devices when he is sent to spend school holiday with a distant aunt and uncle. He explores the surrounding woods and mee
Giovanni Gelati
Have you seen the cover of this YA novel? It appears to me that Justin Bieber is Sherlock Holmes. I am not hating on the Bieb’s mind you, I am just trying to say I was a bit surprised. The only two people left sporting such a hair do left were, I thought, the Biebs and Tom Brady. But I digress. Having said absolutely nothing at all constructive about the novel, I turn the post and the blog over to daughter number five as she took one look at the cover and said, ”What the hey, I’ll give it a shot ...more
Бранимир Събев
"Всяка история си има начало..."

Когато за пръв път Артър Конан Дойл ни запознава с безсмъртния си герой Шерлок Холмс в първата история за него - "Етюд в червено", то пристрастеният към лулата, цигулката и кокаина велик детектив е в Христова възраст с установени навици, развити умения и изграден стил на работа. Но какво е било преди това? За това ще ви разкаже авторът Андрю Лейн.

Годината е 1868-а и 14-годишният Шерлок Холмс с разочарование научава, че през ваканцията няма да остане у дома заедно
Monica!
I went into this book with a certain amount of trepidation—I blame this solely on the cover, which featured a 14-year-old boy with perfectly tousled Justin-Bieber-Before-The-Haircut hair. My brain sort of exploded at that, because it was so… not Holmes. But I suspended my disbelief. Surely,I told myself, consulting detectives were once small teen pop idol lookalikes, right? Right!

Once I actually got into the book itself, though, I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable the silly thing was. I
Sarai
This review contains spoilers.

The book was okay, but I did have some issues with it. First of all, it wasn't much of a mystery. It was a mystery for Sherlock to figure out but there was nothing for the reader to figure out. Second, the author kept repeating himself and I would have expected an editor to catch it but apparently not. There were a couple of times where Sherlock turned away and then in the very next paragraph he turned away again.

There were other things that made me feel like the a
Tony
Canny writers/publishers/producers have been cottoning on to the notion that there's money to be made in mining the adolescent and teen years of male heroes -- witness The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones or the Young Bond series. And since Sherlock Holmes is in all likelihood the most pastiched fictional character in history, it came as little surprise to come across this first in what will likely be a lengthy series of "Young Sherlock Holmes" books. Although I do enjoy the Sherlock Holmes can ...more
TL
a fitting tale of young Sherlock... i could hear sherlock's 'voice' quite well and fell into the tale quite easily... the new characters (matty, amyus, virginia) were fleshed out well and I loved their personalities.

The 'case' Sherlock and company were solving was fairly exciting in parts and when the conclusion was revealed I wanted to turn and smack the villain and utter a few choice words, devious but also an idiot he was.. but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him as of yet.

It wa
Angelc
"Death Cloud" is the first in a series of the adventures of young Sherlock Holmes. The book has been approved by the Sir. Author Conan Doyle estate, so you know it's going to be good! This book is really the perfect combination of action/adventure and logical explanations. I love the logic Sherlock is starting to cultivate, and it's great to see everything explained in a detailed way. The explanation of the Death Cloud itself is quite intriguing.

I loved the characters, Sherlock is so lovable in
Helia
2 stars

This book disappointed me, which in turn had me disappointed with myself. I assumed I would love it - an insight into the early years of Sherlock Holmes before coming into the character everyone universally recognises today. 'Death Cloud' did not do that for me.

Sherlock had about as much personality as my little finger. And honestly, I think that is an insult to my finger. I liked the idea of him having a mentor who would teach him how to think, but I found Sherlock a bit stupid to begin
Kribu
This was a quick, entertaining read - an enjoyable kids' historical action/adventure/mystery (with a nice amount of educational information sprinkled into the plot without it coming off too pedagogical).

I liked the characters well enough, even though none of them truly grabbed me (but I don't usually expect much character development from a relatively short children's book, especially if it's the first of a series). I liked Matty, Amyus Crowe was interesting if not exactly unsubtle in the "let's
Amy
I love Sherlock Holmes. And by that I don’t just mean I love Robert Downey Jr., though I do, I really love the Arthur Conan Doyle stories of this unstable genius of a man. However, I wasn’t all that excited to read about Sherlock as a kid. Then something on the cover caught my eye and reassured me. This is the first series about young Sherlock Holmes to be endorsed/approved by the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate.

Everything about this book is amazing and CRAZY.
Sherlock has to go live with his uncle an
Death Cloud is a prequel to Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. It is the first book in an developing series that shows the development of Sherlock Holmes. In the first installment, teenage Sherlock is sent to spend a summer with his aunt and uncle in a small town where he uncovers the truth behind two mysterious deaths. He is assisted by his wise American tutor, Amyus Crowe, Crowe's daughter and a homeless boy. Through the course of the novel, Sherlock makes his first friends, escapes death numero ...more
Margo Tanenbaum
Sherlock Holmes is one of the most beloved fictional characters ever created, and the original Arthur Conan Doyle stories remain popular, as do many spin-offs in both books and film for adults and young people. A new series by British writer Andrew Lane imagines Sherlock as a fourteen-year old boy solving his first murder mysteries. The first volume in this series, Death Cloud, starts off a bit slowly but soon turns into an intriguing murder mystery.

Andrew Lane writes that his intention with thi
Cassie
Where do I start? This book was definitely exciting and filled with revelations. I actually bought this book months ago but got to the first page and couldn't bring myself to keep on reading it, so it sat in my book box for a long time. I felt like reading it one night, though, so I picked it up and I'm really glad I did. Its the first in a series of adventures featuring young Sherlock Holmes and, naturally, with that name comes great expectations of a story that can bring you to the edge of you ...more
Julie
I've grown up knowing who Sherlock Holmes was, but most of my knowledge base was from Disney's "The Great Mouse Detective." More recently, I enjoyed the Robert Downey Jr. movie and the British tv series. I decided to give the actual literature I try. I'm half way through my second short story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and am enjoying them. So I was excited about the premiss of this book, especially since it's endorsed by the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Estate.

Even with that limited exposure to the w
Jonathan
An enjoyable take on how a young Sherlock Holmes may have grown up. However I personally have a very different idea about what a young Sherlock Holmes would have been like. As such I found myself a little under-awed by the work in this novel. It still is a fine example of story-telling aimed at children that can be enjoyed by adults however.

I feel that perhaps personally one of the great things about Sherlock Holmes is his mysterious past. No one truly knows who the man is or where he came from.
mstan
The story begins promisingly with Sherlock's brother Mycroft coming to inform him that Sherlock would not be spending his vacation at home, but instead, with his uncle and aunt, whom he had never seen.

And yes, that is young Sherlock Holmes we are talking about, and this is accessible Holmes for young adults, quite easy to read and fast-paced.

Adults would find characters like Amyus Crowe, Sherlock's tutor, and Mycroft, his elder brother (who seems to be some big shot in an intelligence office) in
Ken
I was a little leery digging into a YA novel that delved into the origins of Sherlock Holmes. The very origins that are so widely speculated upon and debated upon by Holmes scholars with very little consensus.

I went into the novel with fairly low expectations and was frankly, quite impressed. While, what was presented by Lane may or may not pass muster with the scholars, I found the story engaging and the characters colorful and believable and am looking forward to reading the other books in the
Doreen
sherlock holmes has just started to develop his detecting skills in this book. he is really just an amateur so we have to overlook his mistakes for now, which i hope that will be lesser in the coming books. we are also introduced to his very profound interest in bees in his first case. and not to mention his taste for (view spoiler). the teenage sherlock's characteristics seem different from his adult self, i.e. he has more friends, though ...more
Gavin Franks
The genre of this book is detective novel that dives into the early years of Sherlock Holmes. It also briefly mentions historical events that happened during the times after the civil war. The main audiences that this book is intended for I believe is for young adults. During this story young Sherlock is forced to move in with his Aunt and Uncle. During this time his older brother wishes for him to be tutored and during that time two men mysteriously died.
What I liked about this book was the de
Ekaterina Emil.
Книгата е нещо впечатляващо, нещо смислено, без да показва героите като някакви свръхчовеци, някакви абсолютни гении, чиято логика и идеи са изцедени от пръстите, само за да си паснат на сюжета, не, всичко е изпипано и наместено така, че и най-малката литературна прашинка да бъде на съвършеното място. И така се получава един съвършен роман за тинейджърът Шерлок и неговите най-добри приятели, станали такива в едно щуро приключение от единя бряг на Англия, та до брега на Франция.
Трябва да призная
Chad
Cait Grace
I’m a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and a huge un-fan (totally a thing) of this book. What even is this?!! I love Sherlock Holmes because he’s SMART. The “young Holmes” was one of the dumbest most incompetent teenagers I’ve ever read. I am so furious right now. Because:
a) I was freaking bored
b) the mystery sucked
c) the villains were so cliché I choked
d) Did I mention how boring the book was?
e) there was no “Sherlock-ness” about this book. None. At all.
description

This is the strength of little Sherlie’s dedu
Charlyn  Trussell
What Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson did for Peter Pan, Andrew Lane has done for Sherlock Holmes with a bonus, the endorsement of the Arthur Conan Dyle Estate Ltd. Young Sherlock is introduced to the reader as his brother Mycroft arrives at his school to inform his younger brother that he will not be returning home, but will be spending the coming vacation with an unknown aunt and uncle in the English countryside. What at first appears to be a boring and trying time apart from those Sherlock knows ...more
Mara
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? Absolutely not! Why, oh why couldn't the US editions keep the UK covers?! I hate this cover! Absolutely hate it! Do I even need to explain why I hate it? Just look at it! That kid is so obviously from the 21st century! And he's just annoying.

Characters: We will address the protagonist first: Sherlock Holmes, at age fourteen. Everyone knows at least something about the famous detective, even if it's a popular myth that has been perpetuated by flawed movie renditions (like
Lynn Worton
Sherlock is fourteen years old and he's been sent to stay with his Aunt and Uncle in the country. He meets Matty Arnatt, another fourteen year old and they become friends. Matty sees something mysterious and this sets the course for Sherlock's new life.

As I said in my review of Young Sherlock Holmes: Fire Storm, I just had to get the first three books in this series. This is the first book, and it is just as fantastic as the fourth one! I absolutely love Sherlock Holmes! He thinks fast on his fe
  • Eye of the Crow (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #5)
  • Torn from Troy (Odyssey of a Slave #1)
  • The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas  (Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars #1)
  • Take Me to the River
  • Rotters
  • Ripper
  • Hide and Seek (Capture the Flag, #2)
  • You Killed Wesley Payne
  • Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? (Montmorency, #1)
  • Let Me Stand Alone: The Journals of Rachel Corrie
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson
  • Storm Warriors
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
Andrew 'Andy' Lane lives in Dorset with his wife, his son and a vast collection of Sherlock Holmes books, the purchase of which over the past twenty years is now a justifiably tax-deductible expense.

Andrew is the author of some twenty previous books. Some are original novels set in the same universes as the BBC TV programmes Doctor Who, Torchwood and Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), some are conte
More about Andrew Lane...
Red Leech (Young Sherlock Holmes, #2) Black Ice (Young Sherlock Holmes, #3) Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3) Fire Storm (Young Sherlock Holmes, #4) Snake Bite (Young Sherlock Holmes, #5)

“The door opened after a few moments. Sherlock was looking slightly upwards, expecting Amyus Crowe to be standing inside the doorway, and for a moment he was confused by the empty space. His gaze droped, and he felt his heart stutter as it came to rest on the face of a girl at the same level as his own. Her cloths were dark, and in the shadows of the hall her face seemed to be floating in mid-air.” 4 likes