Start by marking “Heirs of General Practice” as Want to Read:
Heirs of General Practice

Heirs of General Practice

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Heirs of General Practice is a frieze of glimpses of young doctors with patients of every age—about a dozen physicians in all, who belong to the new medical specialty called family practice. They are people who have addressed themselves to a need for a unifying generalism in a world that has become greatly subdivided by specialization, physicians who work with the “unquant ...more
Paperback, 1st THUS edition, 132 pages
Published April 1st 1986 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Heirs of General Practice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heirs of General Practice

David
I come from a family of general practitioners - my mother was a G.P. and my sister followed in her footsteps - and I am a fan of John McPhee's writing, in general. So I expected to like this book more than I actually did. The book follows the standard McPhee schema - in-depth reporting on a very specific topic, in this case doctors who choose to work as general practitioners. McPhee provides vignettes of a dozen or so such doctors, almost all of them working in Maine.

McPhee is usually very effe
Jill
I love books about medicine and doctoring (Gawande's Complications and Better, Groopman), even though I sometimes read them with a tinge of regret at what might have been had I decided to suck up 5 years of med school instead of pursuing the joys of a liberal arts education. In Heris of General Practice, Mc Phee delves into the lives of the men and women who go against conventional wisdom and opt for family medicine, instead of the more glamourous specialities such as cardiology.
Owen Kendall
Mar 22, 2008 Owen Kendall rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: lifechanging
An incredible book about Family Practice Physicians and their role in American health care, as well as the need for more family practice doctors who can provide the much-needed service of primary care. This service would make emergency medicine much less costly and would decrease the cost of health care in this country exponentially as well as increase the health and well-being of American citizens. But it's not an easy job being a family practice physician.
Chris Gager
This book was given to me as a gift by my niece and signed by the author. JM's daughter was/is a friend of my niece. I don't remember reading it or what happened to it as I don't have it any more. Maybe I read some of it. Date read is a guess.
Mitchel
never read this interesting history of family medicine. read it!
Garril
Garril added it
Dec 06, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Brie
Brie marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Ryan Ross
Ryan Ross marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Tom
Tom added it
Nov 15, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Riderz 49
Riderz 49 marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Jaymee
Jaymee marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Cait
Cait added it
Jul 27, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
  • A Not Entirely Benign Procedure: Four Years as a Medical Student
  • Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink
  • The Vegetables We Eat
  • Grub
  • A Fortunate Man: The Story of a Country Doctor
  • Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Von Braun: Dreamer of Space, Engineer of War
  • I Have Landed: The End of a Beginning in Natural History
  • James Herriot's Animal Stories
  • Beyond Fear: Thinking Sensibly about Security in an Uncertain World
  • Great with Child: Letters to a Young Mother
  • 100 Diagrams That Changed the World: From the Earliest Cave Paintings to the Innovation of the iPod
  • The Boat Who Wouldn't Float
John McPhee was born in Princeton, New Jersey, and was educated at Princeton University and Cambridge University. His writing career began at Time magazine and led to his long association with the New Yorker, where he has been a staff writer since 1965. The same year he published his first book, A Sense of Where You Are, with FSG, and soon followed with The Headmaster (1966), Oranges (1967), The P ...more
More about John McPhee...
Coming into the Country Encounters With the Archdruid The Control of Nature Annals of the Former World Basin and Range