Start by marking “Heirs of General Practice” as Want to Read:
Heirs of General Practice

Heirs of General Practice

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Heirs of General Practice is a frieze of glimpses of young doctors with patients of every age--about a dozen physicians in all, who belong to the new medical specialty called family practice. They are people who have addressed themselves to a need for a unifying generalism in a world that has become greatly subdivided by specialization, physicians who work with the "unquan ...more
Paperback, 1st THUS edition, 132 pages
Published April 1st 1986 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Heirs of General Practice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heirs of General Practice

David
I come from a family of general practitioners - my mother was a G.P. and my sister followed in her footsteps - and I am a fan of John McPhee's writing, in general. So I expected to like this book more than I actually did. The book follows the standard McPhee schema - in-depth reporting on a very specific topic, in this case doctors who choose to work as general practitioners. McPhee provides vignettes of a dozen or so such doctors, almost all of them working in Maine.

McPhee is usually very effe
Jill
I love books about medicine and doctoring (Gawande's Complications and Better, Groopman), even though I sometimes read them with a tinge of regret at what might have been had I decided to suck up 5 years of med school instead of pursuing the joys of a liberal arts education. In Heris of General Practice, Mc Phee delves into the lives of the men and women who go against conventional wisdom and opt for family medicine, instead of the more glamourous specialities such as cardiology.
Owen Kendall
Mar 22, 2008 Owen Kendall rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: lifechanging
An incredible book about Family Practice Physicians and their role in American health care, as well as the need for more family practice doctors who can provide the much-needed service of primary care. This service would make emergency medicine much less costly and would decrease the cost of health care in this country exponentially as well as increase the health and well-being of American citizens. But it's not an easy job being a family practice physician.
Chris Gager
This book was given to me as a gift by my niece and signed by the author. JM's daughter was/is a friend of my niece. I don't remember reading it or what happened to it as I don't have it any more. Maybe I read some of it. Date read is a guess.
Mitchel
never read this interesting history of family medicine. read it!
Rebecca
Rebecca is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2015
Rachel Singh
Rachel Singh marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Dave
Dave added it
May 27, 2015
Lau Ie
Lau Ie marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Ivette
Ivette marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
J.
J. added it
Feb 19, 2015
Kerry Cook
Kerry Cook marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Georgia Alexander
Georgia Alexander marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Tod Morgan
Tod Morgan marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Not Entirely Benign Procedure: Four Years as a Medical Student
  • Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink
  • The Vegetables We Eat
  • Present at the Future: From Evolution to Nanotechnology, Candid and Controversial Conversations on Science and Nature
  • Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Grub
  • Group Theory in the Bedroom, and Other Mathematical Diversions
  • Great with Child: Letters to a Young Mother
  • James Herriot's Animal Stories
  • Beyond Fear: Thinking Sensibly about Security in an Uncertain World
  • 100 Diagrams That Changed the World: From the Earliest Cave Paintings to the Innovation of the iPod
John McPhee was born in Princeton, New Jersey, and was educated at Princeton University and Cambridge University. His writing career began at Time magazine and led to his long association with the New Yorker, where he has been a staff writer since 1965. The same year he published his first book, A Sense of Where You Are, with FSG, and soon followed with The Headmaster (1966), Oranges (1967), The P ...more
More about John McPhee...
Coming into the Country Encounters With the Archdruid The Control of Nature Annals of the Former World Basin and Range