Start by marking “Heirs of General Practice” as Want to Read:
Heirs of General Practice

Heirs of General Practice

Heirs of General Practice is a frieze of glimpses of young doctors with patients of every age—about a dozen physicians in all, who belong to the new medical specialty called family practice. They are people who have addressed themselves to a need for a unifying generalism in a world that has become greatly subdivided by specialization, physicians who work with the "unquant ...more
Paperback, 1st THUS edition, 128 pages
Published April 1st 1986 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Heirs of General Practice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heirs of General Practice

David
May 03, 2008 David rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
I come from a family of general practitioners - my mother was a G.P. and my sister followed in her footsteps - and I am a fan of John McPhee's writing, in general. So I expected to like this book more than I actually did. The book follows the standard McPhee schema - in-depth reporting on a very specific topic, in this case doctors who choose to work as general practitioners. McPhee provides vignettes of a dozen or so such doctors, almost all of them working in Maine.

McPhee is usually very effe
Colby Rondeau
Sep 14, 2016 Colby Rondeau rated it really liked it
This book was definitely a good read. The writing was a bit gritty at times with back-to-back medical stories surrounding family practice doctors. A good book to gain further perspective into preventative medicine and why we should to care about general practice.
Rebecca
What an honest and straightforward book about an important form of medicine. I loved this book. It was short, but very meaningful. McPhee gives small glimpses into the lives of doctors who have chosen to practice family medicine. They subscribe to the idea that if a doctor treats your parents, your grandparents and your extended family, they will be more skillful at treating you.
This is the story of the Family Medicine Institute in Augusta, Maine. And how it has revolutionized small town medici
Jill
Jul 26, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it
I love books about medicine and doctoring (Gawande's Complications and Better, Groopman), even though I sometimes read them with a tinge of regret at what might have been had I decided to suck up 5 years of med school instead of pursuing the joys of a liberal arts education. In Heris of General Practice, Mc Phee delves into the lives of the men and women who go against conventional wisdom and opt for family medicine, instead of the more glamourous specialities such as cardiology.
Owen Kendall
Mar 22, 2008 Owen Kendall rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: lifechanging
An incredible book about Family Practice Physicians and their role in American health care, as well as the need for more family practice doctors who can provide the much-needed service of primary care. This service would make emergency medicine much less costly and would decrease the cost of health care in this country exponentially as well as increase the health and well-being of American citizens. But it's not an easy job being a family practice physician.
Chris Gager
Oct 15, 2011 Chris Gager rated it liked it
This book was given to me as a gift by my niece and signed by the author. JM's daughter was/is a friend of my niece. I don't remember reading it or what happened to it as I don't have it any more. Maybe I read some of it. Date read is a guess.
Mitchel
Jul 05, 2010 Mitchel rated it it was amazing
never read this interesting history of family medicine. read it!
Jacob Albert
Jacob Albert rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Minh Le
Minh Le marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Diocletian
Diocletian marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
John
John added it
Aug 02, 2016
Peter Tillman
Peter Tillman marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Ruth B.
Ruth B. marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
jeffrey
jeffrey marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Lauren Tracy
Lauren Tracy rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Susan Kuehnl
Susan Kuehnl marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Brooke Dean
Brooke Dean marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Sara Hayden
Sara Hayden rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
CF Buck
CF Buck marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Ian Stevens
Ian Stevens rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Gertrude Cole
Gertrude Cole marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Maya Chay
Maya Chay marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
  • Seed of Sarah: Memoirs of a Survivor
  • A Not Entirely Benign Procedure: Four Years as a Medical Student
  • The Best American Science Writing 2004
  • The Mountaintop
  • Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex
  • The Blood of Strangers: Stories from Emergency Medicine
  • Kill as Few Patients as Possible
  • Memoir of a Race Traitor
  • Interventions: A Life in War and Peace
  • The Magnificent Spinster
  • The Upstream Doctors (TED)
  • Better Than Well: American Medicine Meets the American Dream
  • Remedy and Reaction: The Peculiar American Struggle over Health Care Reform
  • Far from the Madding Gerund: And Other Dispatches from Language Log
John McPhee was born in Princeton, New Jersey, and was educated at Princeton University and Cambridge University. His writing career began at Time magazine and led to his long association with the New Yorker, where he has been a staff writer since 1965. The same year he published his first book, A Sense of Where You Are, with FSG, and soon followed with The Headmaster (1966), Oranges (1967), The P ...more
More about John McPhee...