The Kill Call (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #9)

The Kill Call (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry #9)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Title: Kill Call Binding: Paperback Author: Stephen Booth Publisher: Harper Collins Paperbacks
Published March 1st 2010 by Harper Torch (first published January 1st 2009)

Gill

Having read other Stephen Booth books I looked forward to this one. However, I did not enjoy this one as much as the plot meandered and didn't hold together. He seemed to be connecting the motivations of the characters with the story of Eyam but it didn't work for me. The relationship between Cooper and Fry didn't ring true either. I live in the Peak District and enjoyed the setting details but the abattoir scenes were a bit much. I will be interested to see how Fry deals with the rape case in...more
LuAnn
The first few chapters of "The Kill Call" reminded me of the movie "Pulp Fiction". Points of view jumped through decades of time and various narrators. That, coupled with the fact that the book is set in England, with the different terms for things than we have in the US, made the read start a teensy bit slow for me. Then I remembered to turn my Anglophile switch to the 'on' position, and I felt like Dorothy when she landed in Oz...the colors turned on!

But, imagine if you will, dipping your toe...more
Gloria Feit
The uneasy relationship between DS Diane Fry and DC Ben Cooper is prevalent throughout this murder mystery, part of the author's continuing series featuring the two protagonists. At first, the body of a well-dressed man found on a moor with his head bashed in seems to be a straightforward police investigation.

However, the inquiry broadens into a lot more, involving illegal horse slaughter, the conflict from supporters of the hunt and saboteurs opposing that "sport," and a look not only into the...more
Herzog
A definite disappointment. I'm a fan of this series, but this book is a mess. The motivations are jumbled and the horse meat discussions needlessly graphic. Cooper's and Fry's relationship is as tenuous and undecipherable as ever. Cooper's positive intentions are left unrealized as is Fry's impending decision whether to proceed with prosecuting her own rape case leaving hope for the next work in the series.
Lynn Kearney
3.5 Another pretty good novel in this English series. I do think he needs a good editor, though, and I wish Ben and Diane could resolve their issues. (Maybe the tension between them is the point, though).
John Weir
okay... at least it's British crime, too much American fiction out there for me.
Carina
It was good but not one of the best in this serie. Love the characters.
Carol Jean
Wwweeelllll....I enjoy the fact that Booth includes elements of the history of the Peaks district in all his books, but I wasn't so fond of the atomic bomb watch shelters featured in this one. But the exploration of the horse meat business was fascinating! Fry is still getting on my nerves. Cooper stands up to her a bit better, but I really wish they could work together better as a team. The books would be considerably more enjoyable if ANYONE in that police station actually liked anyone else!
Maria
Inicialmente custou-me a entrar n’ O Toque da Morte. A extensa lista de personagens com os seus nomes e apelidos baralhou-me um pouco e confesso que o princípio do livrp não me agarrou à primeira como normalmente acontece quando se trata de policiais.
Mas, depois de entrar na história, foi um não parar de emoções. A temática também ajudou. A caça, os cavalos, e o comércio ilegal de carne de cavalo, assim como o tema da guerra fria e o medo da bomba nuclear agradaram-me bastante.
Quando o corpo de...more
Dot
Another excellent mystery set in the Derbyshire Peak District of UK. The author always includes information about events and customs that may not be generally well known and this one has two issues that I found intriguing. The book's title refers to the sound of a huntsman's horn when the hounds are being told to go in for the kill when a fox is run down. Part of the plot involves a Hunt Club and we learn about how the foxhunting ban has affected their activities and also about the hunt saboteur...more
Spuddie
Ninth in this series set in the Peak District of the UK, featuring DC Ben Cooper and DS Diane Fry and their colleagues. A dead body sans identifcation in a field in the pouring rain is not anyone's idea of an easy police investigation, and this is further complicated by the fact that the Eden Valley Hunt was holding a Hunt that same morning. With hill and dale tramped by horses as well as the "sabs"--the hunt protesters who try to sabotage the hunt, which is legal as long as the hounds are follo...more
Elaine
This is another solid contribution from Booth, in my opinion. It had some interesting themes, very thought provoking issues. It was an enjoyable read on the whole.
While some of the scenes are rather graphic, I believe them necessary. I was impressed with the way this book brought a taboo subject to the surface. I myself living in denial about this particular branch of the UK meat industry!
While most of the secondary characters in this book are quite unlikeable, Booth makes it work to his adva...more
Valerie
Things I love about this mystery series:

Learning details of modern hunts.
British WW 2 and Cold War History
Differences in how legal issues are handled.
The fantastic contrast between the two leads.
Ben Cooper's total inability to understand the women in his life.
The Peak District---really must visit it some time.

Actually, Ben Cooper rather reminds me of my friend Will, (although, of course Will should go right on believing that he gets women, that is obviously just about Cooper), I meant the consta...more
Dorothy
This is one of the most confusing books I have read. The interspersing of a mystery from the 1960s with the current day problem seemed to hang over the book, not be a part of it. ANd then - everything was cleaned up in the last few pages. I don't remember Stephen Booth's other books being like this and I hope it's not the same for the next one I have waiting to be read.
Douglas Cook
First paragraph

Journal of 1968

In those days, there were always just the three of us. Three bodies close together, down there in the cold, with the water seeping through the concrete floor, and a chill striking deep into flesh and bone. The three of us, crouching in the gloom, waiting for a signal that would never come.

Booth, Stephen (2013-11-10). The Kill Call (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry) (p. 1). Westlea Books. Kindle Edition.
Ian Mapp
Read to complete the series. I suppose he has me now, having read all of them. He will bring out a new book and I will blindly read it out of loyalty and nostalgia.

There is nothing wrong with the books pre se... I just dont think they move the characters along. Fry and Cooper are going nowhere and the stories are generally so silly that they defy logic or belief.

You know you are going to get farming issues and the peak district in spades and this time, through a split time narrative, we have a n...more
Crystal
This was the second Stephen Booth book I have read. I thoroughly enjoy Fry and Cooper as detectives. I enjoy thoroughly enjoy Booth's writing and recommend this series to anyone who enjoys mysteries.
Priya
I read this book at a totally leisurely pace and enjoyed every bit of it. The topics, though a little morbid-ish (horse-meat?), were intriguing; I found myself completely engrossed (like always) especially by Cooper's part of the investigation: the Cold War, the Black Plague, that overwhelming presence of history and folklore.
I don't think I've been involved in a series quite as deeply in a long, long time. I just can't get enough of these books!
Venturing into Dick Francis' territory, this mystery (about hunting, horse meat and the Royal Observer Corps) is almost incidental to the interpersonal relationships. Unlike most "partner" mysteries, Diane Fry and Ben Cooper do not really function as a unit. They work together, but they don't get along and they only seem to interact when absolutely necessary or when Cooper inserts himself into Fry's cases. It's not a sexual tension, it's just plain tension.

I like the characters, all flawed human...more
Lori
like the characters in this series, but this book got pretty graphic with the horses. love the author's notes at the end, explains how this book came together with the underlying themes.
Jennie Andrus
It took me a long time to read this, not because it wasn't good, but just because I found it hard to find uninterrupted reading time. Because of this, I think I missed a few things because it seemed like all of a sudden the characters knew exactly what had happened and I didn't have a clue how they'd come that conclusion. I still enjoyed the book, and went out and bought a few more by the author. Hopefully I'll be able to read them in a shorter period of time, so I don't forget all the clues.
Lois
Another mystery featuring Detective Constable Ben Cooper and his tense relationship with Detective Sergeant Diane Fry. I didn't enjoy this book quite as much as the others in the series, but it is still a good read. I probably learned more than I cared to know about slaughter procedures at abattoirs, and I won't be ordering cheval any time soon. As usual, the descriptions of the Derbyshire countryside are engaging.
Lynn
I'd never read a Booth before, but there it was on the shelf, so now I have a new best friend. Well-plotted and nicely drawn characters, and now I have to start from the first book in the series to find out how these characters developed. Usually in murder mysteries, when there are two murders, they're connected. These looked like they were, but ultimately.... Nice touch.
Mariagabriella
Another excellent mystery, and not a page of boredom in sight. DS Fry keeps on annoying me, but sometimes she turns into a human being and then I like her again.
DC Cooper is my favourite, how couldn't it be?
Caroline
I really love Stephen Booth's Cooper and Fry series. What I love the most about them are the interesting little snippets of history that occur throughout. "The Kill Call" had a great story-line and finally a little more insight into Diane Fry's past. Book by book I'm beginning to understand her a bit better. I highly recommend this book, indeed the whole series.
Shireen
This had the best ending I've read in ages from any author. It made me want to immediately start reading the next book in the series. Stephen Booth really hit the writing mojo with this book, after a few that were okay but hinted at maybe the series was flagging. No more! The series has found new life with The Kill Call.
Jacky
Like all of Stephen Booth's, the sense of place is excellent, and the writing atmospheric, information meticulously recorded. Ben & Diane are their usual selves.
Stephen Booth does information & landscape very well indeed & male characters well. It is his female characters who are 2-dimensional, and let the books down.
Jussi
I bought this book in Bakewell, and walked through the area of Derbyshire which it describes on the very next day. Good reading to accompany a walking tour! Local colour well sprinkled over entire novel. As a general purpose mystery is habitable: story well crafted, main characters in decently executed counterpoint.
Windy
The next installment in the Fry/Cooper series. We learn a bit more about Fry's past in this one. The plot was a bit over complicated with three bodies all dying under separate circumstances but still very enjoyable.
Tiina
I've liked Stephen Booth's earlier books more than I liked this. I found it difficult to relate to either of the main characters. On the plus side, this book mentions cats.
  • Midnight Fugue (Dalziel and Pascoe, #24)
  • A Killing Frost (Inspector Frost, #6)
  • Blind Eye (Logan McRae, #5)
  • Death Notes (Inspector Wexford, #11)
  • Lifeless (Tom Thorne, #5)
  • The Risk of Darkness (Simon Serrailler, #3)
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
  • The Siren (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #2)
  • The Price Of Love: And Other Stories
  • Hidden Depths (Vera Stanhope, #3)
  • The Coffin Trail (Lake District Mystery #1)
  • The Death Chamber
  • A Cotswold Killing (Thea Osborne Mystery #1)
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • Death Is Now My Neighbor (Inspector Morse, #12)
  • Faust in Copenhagen: A Struggle for the Soul of Physics
  • Harmur englanna
A former newspaper journalist, Stephen Booth is the creator of two young Derbyshire police detectives, DS Ben Cooper and DS Diane Fry, who have so far appeared in 13 crime novels, all set in and around England's Peak District.

The Cooper & Fry series has won awards on both sides of the Atlantic, and Detective Constable Cooper has been a finalist for the Sherlock Award for the Best Detective cr...more
More about Stephen Booth...
Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1) Blood On The Tongue (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #3) Dancing With The Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2) Blind To The Bones (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #4) Scared To Live (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #7)