Start by marking “Shadows of Yesterday” as Want to Read:
Shadows of Yesterday

Shadows of Yesterday

3.58  ·  Rating Details ·  2,239 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
LEIGH . . . She was terrifyingly alone on a Texas highway about to deliver her first child when a rugged stranger in a pickup truck stopped to help her. Leigh Bransom had lost her husband eight months before when he was tragically killed on the job. This fateful meeting on a lonesome highway brought a handsome, new man into her life...yet he was a man with secrets and the ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 233 pages
Published 2001 by Warner Books (first published February 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Yesterday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of Yesterday

Ride the Fire by Pamela ClareWorth the Fall by Claudia ConnorAnnie's Song by Catherine AndersonMorning Glory by LaVyrle SpencerPieces of Sky by Kaki Warner
Pregnant Widows/Abandoned Heroines In Romance
9th out of 43 books — 108 voters
The Selection by Kiera CassThe Elite by Kiera CassThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCrescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
Best Romance Books
73rd out of 120 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

♥Sharon♥
Jun 02, 2015 ♥Sharon♥ rated it liked it
2.5 – 3 Stars

Well, I am not sure what to say about this one so I will keep it short.

Sandra Brown is one of my favorite authors and of all the books I have read by her they have been 4 or 5 star ratings.

Shadows of Yesterday was just a ho-hum read for me. Nothing got me excited but maybe that is because the book was written over 30 years ago. Honestly, when I started reading it I didn’t realize that. I probably wouldn’t have been tempted to start it.

There was a bit of

photo f33162ec-764c-4e43-9533-dd91e48c6563_zpsqnpanlig.jpg

And a lot of

photo tumblr_mfv011dkLc1rrb2y0o1_400_zpshuriep8q.gif

And then there
Mo
May 08, 2015 Mo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to believe that this is the same author that wrote such great books as The Witness, Mean Streak, Lethal, The Alibi - OK, it 32 years old and yes it felt like it was... very dated.... an enjoyable enough read but not a patch on her newer books.

I feel I have read all her GOOD books at this stage... I want another author like her ....

Not sure if it would even make the 3 star mark but it is SB ....
CC
Nov 09, 2015 CC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought the biggest issues I would have with this book would have been the dated writing (it is 30 years old) or the dead exes (a troupe I do not like). Yes - heroine was a bit of a prude and dressed and spoke funny. Totally not 1980s style or atmosphere. Maybe 1950s? But whatever. She was thrilled about the Linx coat. Ok I can deal. But no real fur people!!!! Shearling is plenty warm! The dead exes were handled in a way that I could handle and I appreciated that.

So why did this book get 2 sta
Soonya
Read a long time ago but remember loving it! H meets h when she is on the road and helps her deliver a baby and then takes her to hospital. After that their romance start!

Safety gang(view spoiler)
Tanya
Jun 15, 2015 Tanya rated it really liked it
Fun filled cheese, sweetheart!!! I can't help it I love Sandra Brown!! Love. I read this back in high school and I remember it being one of my favorites. Perhaps not so much now but it was still endearing.
Genevieve
Sep 21, 2010 Genevieve rated it really liked it
Another steamy romance novel. I can't seem to get enough of these kinds of stories. This one is neat. Starts off with the lead character delivering her baby on the side of the road.
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 4 stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate Pasts: (view spoiler)
Elizabeth
Apr 03, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on Goodreads. It was a very touching story of two people who had lost loved and found it again in each other and the child they helped bring into the world. It is an emotional story with an inspirational ending, that not all love is lost and new love should be cherished.
Mihaela
Jan 30, 2014 Mihaela rated it really liked it
A sweet love story :) 3.5 stars from me.
Janet
Sep 18, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it
This month’s TBR Challenge is Westerns. I like westerns, especially western historicals, and because I do, I don’t usually have any on my TBR. But I collect/buy/acquire Sandra Brown whenever I go to my local library used book store, often re-buying and re-reading the same titles. Shadows of Yesterday, formerly published as Relentless Desire (and that information is right on the cover!) fits my definition of a contemporary western, allowing me to tick off some of my categories: setting, Texas; he ...more
Carol  MacInnis
Feb 26, 2012 Carol MacInnis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I won this book from a contest on Goodreads.

Leigh Bransom is a beautiful young widow who is eight and a half months pregnant and is having contractions in her car on the side of a deserted highway on her way home from a friend's wedding. When she sees a dilapitated old pick-up truck stop, she is relieved but apprehensive at the sight of the tall dark handsome well defined muscled man shabbily dressed in filthy greased- covered clothes and mud packed cowboy boots. When he smiles at Leigh, Chad Di
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Suami Leigh Bransom adalah seorang seorang agen pemerintah yang tewas saat sedang bertugas menyamar. Sejak itu Leigh bersumpah untuk tidak jatuh cinta dengan pria yang pekerjaannya lebih berbahaya dari seorang guru SD.

Namun ketika terpaksa harus melahirkan anak dari suaminya yang telah meninggal di jalan raya texas. Leigh mendapat pertolongan dari seorang pria asing bernama Chad Dillon. Chad, meski penampilannya sempat membuat Leigh takut, ternyata sangat membantu dan membuat Leigh jatuh cinta.

S
Lovetoread
May 13, 2015 Lovetoread rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I enjoyed Shadows of Yesterday by Sandra Brown.

this story opens with our heroine, Leigh Bransom, a widow who lost her husband, an ATF Officer, 8 months ago on the job. She is terrified and alone on a Texas highway about to deliver her first child, 2 weeks early, when a rugged stranger in a pickup truck stopped to help her. This fateful meeting on a lonesome highway brought a handsome, new man into her life...yet Chad was a man with secrets and the power to break her heart again. He was part of
Gjbates
Dec 05, 2014 Gjbates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vannessa Anderson
Leigh meets Chad on a deserted highway. Chad, seeing a car with a lone woman in it stops only to find she is about to give birth. After helping Leigh give birth to Sara, he drives her to the hospital. Chad falls in love with Leigh at first sight and Leigh, not realizing it, falls in love with Chad at first sight. Leigh’s first husband, Sara’s dad who was a police officer was murdered while on the job. Leigh was determined not to love Chad because his job was just as dangerous as her dead ...more
Susan
Nov 08, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
I'm going to be honest here and say I vaguely remember this one. I know I liked it...but really, there hasn't been a Sandra Brown one I DIDN'T like, with the exception of The Witness, which just scared the crap out of me and gave me nightmares for weeks. I want to say there was a scene in this one with Christmas decorations...that's the one that comes to mind, but I couldn't even tell you what happened with it. This is probably the most unhelpful review ever written. So sorry about that, but I ...more
Kristen
In Sandra Brown's Shadows of Yesterday, she told us an amazing heart-wrenching and heart-breaking new love story in this classic romance. For Leigh Bransom, she was a pregnant widow who was about to give birth to her first child at the side of the highway. That's when Chad, a rugged trucker, stopped by to help her. This fateful encounter had brought a new man into her life, yet he was a man of secrets and could break her heart again. For Chad, he perused a dangerous business and kept his ...more
Kristin
Sep 02, 2016 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had previously enjoyed an audiobook by Sandra Brown, and when I was at the library the other day, I had grabbed this one without reading the blurb. I was not aware that she had at one time written romance novels. This is one of them. It was written in the mid 80's so it is a bit dated. I am not a fan of the romance genre, and unfortunately this book only reinforces this feeling. The narrator was a female, and the voice variations that she used to depict different characters was almost comical. ...more
Anne Peachey
Jul 17, 2016 Anne Peachey rated it really liked it
Shadows of Yesterday is a book you won't want to put down. Very easy to read with a good storyline of a young widow who's husband did not know she was pregnant when he died.
Leigh finds herself alone on a highway in Texas in labour. A stranger comes along and helps her with the delivery. He is handsome, gentle and full of secrets. She cannot get him out of her mind.
When Chad comes looking for her, Leigh discovers he is full of secrets and as they slowly surface, she is torn by the feelings she th
Apr 12, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
And again, great, great book! I loved every minute of it. The seniaro was perfect. People have babies on the side of the road all the time, but no one ever writes about it. Chad is such a sweet heart. He stops in the middle of knowhere and helps a women he doesn't even know deliver her baby, and then comes back a couple months later and helps Leigh take care of her baby, Sarah. Plus, he ends up giving up his job for Leigh, after one last fire right after they are married. It does take Leigh a ...more
Kitty Honeycutt
Aug 12, 2011 Kitty Honeycutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"SHADOWS OF YESTERDAY" BY SANDRA BROWN

Leigh Branson is a woman in trouble, finding herself going into labor on a Texas highway she is rescued by a stranger. Her husband having died long ago she is scared to let herself love again for fear of loss. Will Leigh be able to let go?

A wonderful story about the power of love and how some past experiences are best left in the past. One of Sandra's best!

-Kitty Bullard / Great Minds Think Aloud Book Club

Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.probo...
Julie Barrett
Oct 02, 2011 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
shadows of yesterday by sandra brown.

seasons of yesteryear by rachel ryan/ sandra brown
widower Lee has left the girlfriends party and pulls over to the side of the road. chad stops and helps get her
into the back of his truck and delivers sarah. drives them to the hospital and contacts her relatives and
then he's gone.he reappears later and they try to get past their earlier lives but his job/work haunts her to
the point where she can't marry him. can she learn to live with it ?

Trish Jackson
Oct 10, 2012 Trish Jackson rated it it was ok
I don't normally read category romance because I like suspense and fast paced plots, which is why I write romantic suspense.

I'm not the best person, therefore to be reviewing this story about a woman who is afraid of her past experience with love.

Nothing really exciting happens, and after the first love-making scene, the thirty or so other love scenes are kind of repetitive and boring.

For me it wasn't that great.
Julie Barrett
seasons of yesteryear by rachel ryan/ sandra brown
the point where she can't marry him. can she learn to live with it ?
Alison
Apr 21, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it
Sometimes a good deed is just that, a good deed. Sometimes a love story is just that, a heart warming love story. As mentioned before, this (earlier) book by Sandra Brown was far different than the mysteries I've ready by her. This book had romance, love, conflict and in-laws. I'd love to see how the couple fares years from now.
Wendell Hennan
Jul 27, 2016 Wendell Hennan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
first published in 1983, Leigh delivers her baby in the back of a pick up truck assisted by a stranger, Chad. Her husband had been killed in a drug raid that went bad, and she discovered a few weeks later that she was pregnant. Vowing to never again become involved with someone who works in a high risk job, her relationship with Chad begins to deepen. An excellent read.
Julia Endicott
Jun 22, 2009 Julia Endicott rated it liked it
I don't know which Sandra Brown book I picked up first. The reading is easy, the stories are simple. They are romantic, some are suspenseful, if you've read one it's like reading them all. However, Sandra Brown first sparked my interest in reading for pleasure, and for that I would recommend all her books to anyone.
Theresa
May 16, 2014 Theresa rated it it was ok
Stereotypical romance. They meet while she's in labor even though that's all they know about each other, they fall in love. He turns out to be wealthy, she has conflicts accepting him, they live happily ever after. Not much depth,but parts were semi ok.
Noreen Elliott
Fairly well written

This book is fairly well written but in my opinion it gets bogged down at times especially in the love times. Also one omission I noticed was breastfeeding was only mentioned when the baby was about 4 months old
Adrienne Testa
Aug 08, 2015 Adrienne Testa rated it liked it
A romance that begins on the side of the road. Two strangers brought together by labor and delivery on the side of a deserted road. Its a story of romance between the two strangers and their lives paralleling her past. Some will love it and others will not.
  • Where There Is Evil
  • After The Music
  • Only By Your Touch
  • Dark Pursuit (Menggapai Cinta)
  • Dark Fire (McCalls, #2)
  • Rivals
  • Keir O'Connell's Mistress (O'Connells, #1)
  • Lover's Lane (Twilight Cove, #1)
  • Aftershocks
  • Slow Burn
  • The Playboy & Plain Jane (Dynasties: The Barones #1)
  • Follow My Lead: What Training My Dogs Taught Me about Life, Love, and Happiness
  • Tesa
  • The Heart's Victory
  • Dust Devil
  • Sarah's Sin
  • Yankee Wife (Quaid, #1)
  • Own the Night (Made in Montana, #2)

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), & TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over
More about Sandra Brown...

“Would you like to hold her?” Leigh asked him. “Do you think she’ll let me?” “I certainly think she should, since you were the first one who ever held her.” “Hey, I was, wasn’t I?” For a moment their eyes locked over Sarah’s head. Leigh realized they were both remembering when it was only the two of them on a deserted highway, on a scorching August day, when he had stopped to help her. Leigh remembered Chad’s kindness, his sensitivity, and thought how glad she was to see him again. The poignant moment drew out uncomfortably long. Leigh broke their mutual fixation first and extended Sarah to his waiting” 1 likes