Blank-133x176
Hard Girls

Martina Cole

Hard Girls

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,091 ratings  ·  63 reviews
HARD LIVES. HARD LESSONS. IT'S MURDER ON THE STREETS. Danielle Crosby had a body to die for. A body she sold to the highest bidder. But she ended up paying for it with her life. When a prostitute's body is found lifeless, mutilated and brutally raped, DCI Annie Carr has never seen anything like it and never wants to again. Kate Burrows, retired DCI now consultant, has plen...more
Published (first published October 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Girls

Dawn Barton
The last few books were very much same old, same old. Was delighted when this book returned to two old favourites charaters, Pat Kelly & Kate Burrows. Grantley Police station and the criminal!!!
This book was very exciting, kept me on a knife edge the whole way through. A fantastic account of the things that can go wrong with organised prostitution, even in the privacy and safety of a home environment. I find Martina Cole writes her books in the down to earth way that is needed for a story li...more
David Roberts
I am reviewing the novel Hard Girls by Martina Cole which is an excellent thriller which I bought from a car boot sale. This is a gritty novel set in South East England which isn't surprising when you consider Martina lives in Kent. The title Hard Girls, I think refers to the 2 policewomen who are the central characters in the story. There is Annie who is a Detective Chief Inspector investigating a string of murders of prostitutes. There is also Kate a retired DCI who is a consultant and is help...more
Amanda
When I read my first Martina Cole book I really didn't like it. I found the story weak and unbelievable and bad language used far too much for it to be credible. I said at the time that this put me off her books. However I have read some since and I must say have been pleasantly surprised. This book is one of the best of hers I have read. Yes it has some crude lanaguage BUT its used when it has to be, I felt before it was used for the sake of using it and it was tedious. I liked the whole story...more
Eva
The first detective story I had to force myself to read till the end. Finished it and not happy with it :( The story develops in short parts - description of a person that is going to be murdered, inner feelings of the female detective and her ex-boyfriend, and the crime scene. It looks like the CSI films, i.e. video spots. The author repeats a lot of words all the time (to suss, the F word - with which I would not have problems with it if it was appropriate) and uses slang in places I would not...more
Lauren Maunsell
I love Martina Cole, she has been my favorite author for a few years but I have actually found this book to be not quite as gripping as some of her previous (eg: Two Women). There are so many characters in the book it's hard to keep track which is a shame as usually what she is best at is describing things in such detail that you know exactly who they are even if their name's pop up right at the end. Still, I am enjoying it and it has kept my attention so far.. although it has sat on my bedside...more
Jessica Naylor
This book had potential but some of the writing was dull and very repetitive. A lot of the book was predictable which is why I found it not as gripping as her previous novels such as two women, a personal favourite. I found I enjoyed the characters and got to know them in such depth. However as much as I enjoyed reading about Kate and Patricks problems I really wanted the book to focus on the murders and the detective work to keep up the pace, I felt at times they slowed it down. I enjoyed the e...more
Babete
Um policial cheio de suspense e com uma boa dose de realidade crua que é a marca desta autora, imperdível!
Ceri (welshy)
In this book we see the return of old favourite Kate Burrows, a character from earlier books, The Ladykiller and Broken. She’s still living with Patrick Kelly although due to his owning the properties where the girls are being killed as a silent partner causes them to split up. The book does focus a lot on their relationship, a bit too much at times, it got kind of repetitive, if Cole had reduced this it would have made a much better book.

Told in the third person narrative, the dialect used take...more
Best Crime Books
Martina Cole has been writing since 1992 and has produced some fantastic crime novels. Some of her work has been turned into TV Dramas and her most recent book turned TV Programme was The Take which attracted over 600,000 viewers in the first episode. Martina Cole Books have always been popular and many of them have reached number 1 in the Bestseller lists. I have read each and every book she has ever written and have been a fan for many years. However, in recent years I felt like she was losing...more
Clare
The Ladykiller was the first and best book I have read by Martina Cole. Nothing of hers has come close since reading it in the 90's. With Martina's books you know pretty much what you're going to get each time - hard hitting stories about the London underworld - and after reading quite a few over the years I did become a bit bored as they all started to become too familiar. I received Hard Girls as a gift shortly after it was released in hardback and it'd been sat on my bookshelf until I finally...more
Mandy
Martina Cole’s newest novel centres around horrific and numerous murders of prostitutes. The ‘hard girls’ are being mutilated and raped, the killer seeming to have an immense hatred for how the girls live their lives and what they stand for. No clues are left behind, the scenes of the murders being thoroughly cleaned and the smell of clinical cleanliness is left hanging in the air. It’s the job of Kate Burrows and Annie Carr to find the dirt and catch this killer.

Kate Burrows is a character Mart...more
Ricardo
Let's meet kate burrows, a legend between cops, retired but still involved in the force as an adviser.
as we meet a little of her background and entanglement with Patrick- a mobster with a name- the first of a series of victims is found dead, mutilated in an horrific state.
after that we follow two parallel stories, one of the criminal world, and other of the investigation team composed by anie carr and kate, who battle to prove themselves as they chase an invisible criminal.
I'd lok to say the end...more
Bizzy Day
Wasn't thrilled by this one... Especially as I knew who the murderer was about 200 pages in but then had to keep reading for another 240 pages. I've learned I'm not a huge Martina Cole fan! Although it was well written which is a big plus. I didn't like the constant referal to Kate Burrow's being 'the best detective evaaaaaaa' - that got old pretty quickly. Also it was interesting in the beginning that Cole highlighted the gender issues surrounding working in a male dominated world but to just k...more
Elle (Lost in Wonderland)
I'm not really a mystery/Thriller reader in the first place, but this author was suggested to me by a friend so I thought I'd give it a read. I can't say I was really impressed. I don't know if it's becasue this isn't really my genre of choice or it just wasn't one of the authors best work.

I found the story a bit repetitive and it didn't really have me on the edge of my seat as I imagine a good murder mystery would. I found the killer awfully easy to pick aswell, which was quite underwhelming....more
Rupesh Goenka
What can I say??? It is that someone took revenge from me by suggesting this author & her books. It took me 3 books of this author to realize that. How silly of me?? Certainly not my cup of tea.
Lénia
Começou bem: plot interessante, personagens bem construídas. Depois começou a ficar chato: a autora diz uma data de vezes a mesma coisa, de maneira a caracterizar as personagens. A partir do meio do livro comecei a saltar parágrafos. O fim não me surpreendeu.

Nota máxima para a tradução, que é irrepreensível.
Sami Lewis
Gripping, powerful, page turner and gritty!
ReaderSP
I have read all of Cole's books and am a big fan, a big fan that is becoming increasingly disappointed by each new book. I felt that the plot and the characters were both very weak and I agree with other reviewers about the lack of real grittiness and unbelievable dialogue. I read this book a while a go and can now barley remember the storyline (something about Patrick and Kate's relationship comes to mind) but I can remember some of Cole's older classics really easily. Says it all really...
Rosemary Kind
Not the best book I've read this year or even the best I've read from Martina Cole. If you look at the way it is written it is easy to conclude the many women crime writers feel the need to use more bad language in order to appear tougher than the men. In this book it is well and truly overdone. The book also includes considerable repetition which does not add to the story and the constant shifts of point of view are at times clumsy. I am unlikely to reread this one.
Caroline
very good story line lots of twists and unexpected turns. kept me gripped from start to finish
Nicole
I took a break from Martina Cole a while ago as I found her books were getting too repeatative. It's been a few years and I was so excited to delve back in again. But holy wa-wa-waaaaa....big snorefest!!! The plot sounded sooooo good...murdered hookers and a ton of suspects. But instead, I had to read about Kate and Pat's boring romance page after page after page after page....

Big let down!!

Looks like it's time for yet another break....
Wendy W
I have read most of this authors books. The first one I had some trouble understanding some of the sayings and words but once I got used to what they meant I really came to like her books. This one was another good one . Hopefully she will have more come out this year too. Looking forward to seeing what they are about.
Amy
The storyline is gripping but I am not a fan of Cole's writing style. She seems to favour repeating the same cliched metaphors and phrases and uses a lot of dialectal lingo which often is without definition. Her paragraph spacing is also quite awry. Apart from this it was a good storyline and believable characters.
Linda
As I had got squeamish with the last book (Faces) of Martina Cole's and bored of the repetition of the one before that, I was a bit apprehensive of reading another. I am glad I did as I really enjoyed Hard Girls bringing back the charators of (retired) DCI Kate Burrows and Villain Patrick Kelly from PREVIOUS books.
Shaz
Martina Coles earlier novels were excellent, gripping and exciting to the end. Now however they have become boring, very repetitive almost as though she doesn't have enough ideas to fill a page so every character is over described to pad the book out. Very disappointed with Hard Girls, predictable and dull.
Rebecca
Slow and boring really. Yes the gore and gritty bits were there but it just didn't connect at all.
The characters seem flat and petty at times, the 'murderer' was obvious half way through, and after hearing so many good things about Martina Cole I can say I was disappointed.
Ala
Good book but unfortunately not keeping the reader so entertained. Plot is quite expectable, some issues seem pointless. Still would recommend this book though for crime fans if they simply want to relax and have something smooth to read in the free time.
Ann York
This book sees kate burrows back and a dci annie carr they are looking for a killer who is not leaving any clues to who the killer is so they have to find them and it is very powerful written and a really good read if you like martina cole
Jo
I plodded along with this one and tbh was glad when I got to the end. I loved her earlier books and read them one after another but the last couple have been nowhere near as good - not sure I would bother reading the next one either.
  • Scarlet Women (Annie Carter #3)
  • Snatched
  • The Schemer
  • The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4)
  • Dishonour
  • Bella Mafia
  • Choked (Brennan & Esposito, #4)
  • Skinner's Rules
  • Camellia
  • Killing Cupid
  • Buried (Tom Thorne, #6)
  • I Can See You (Romantic Suspense, #10)
Martina Cole was born and brought up in Essex. She is the bestselling author of fourteen novels set in London's gangland, and her most recent three paperbacks have gone straight to No. 1 in the Sunday Times on first publication. Total sales of Martina's novels stand at over eight million copies.

More about Martina Cole...
The Ladykiller The Take Dangerous Lady (Maura Ryan, #1) The Runaway Two Women