Start by marking “Hard Girls” as Want to Read:
Hard Girls

Hard Girls

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,925 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
HARD LIVES. HARD LESSONS. IT'S MURDER ON THE STREETS.

Danielle Crosby had a body to die for. A body she sold to the highest bidder. But she ended up paying for it with her life.

When a prostitute's body is found lifeless, mutilated and brutally raped, DCI Annie Carr has never seen anything like it and never wants to again. Kate Burrows, retired DCI now consultant, has plent
Published April 15th 2010 by Headline (first published October 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Girls

Eva
Jun 04, 2012 Eva rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first detective story I had to force myself to read till the end. Finished it and not happy with it :( The story develops in short parts - description of a person that is going to be murdered, inner feelings of the female detective and her ex-boyfriend, and the crime scene. It looks like the CSI films, i.e. video spots. The author repeats a lot of words all the time (to suss, the F word - with which I would not have problems with it if it was appropriate) and uses slang in places I would not ...more
David Roberts
Jun 15, 2013 David Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing the novel Hard Girls by Martina Cole which is an excellent thriller which I bought from a car boot sale. This is a gritty novel set in South East England which isn't surprising when you consider Martina lives in Kent. The title Hard Girls, I think refers to the 2 policewomen who are the central characters in the story. There is Annie who is a Detective Chief Inspector investigating a string of murders of prostitutes. There is also Kate a retired DCI who is a consultant and is help ...more
Dawn Barton
Oct 27, 2012 Dawn Barton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carolyn  Storer
Well narrated as usual by Annie Aldington, however, story wasn't as good as previous books containing DI Kate Burrows. A bit too much repetition with regards to the relationship between Kate and Patrick, even though I love them. The ending was bittersweet, but fitting.
Best Crime Books & More
Martina Cole has been writing since 1992 and has produced some fantastic crime novels. Some of her work has been turned into TV Dramas and her most recent book turned TV Programme was The Take which attracted over 600,000 viewers in the first episode. Martina Cole Books have always been popular and many of them have reached number 1 in the Bestseller lists. I have read each and every book she has ever written and have been a fan for many years. However, in recent years I felt like she was losing ...more
Amanda
Nov 16, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read my first Martina Cole book I really didn't like it. I found the story weak and unbelievable and bad language used far too much for it to be credible. I said at the time that this put me off her books. However I have read some since and I must say have been pleasantly surprised. This book is one of the best of hers I have read. Yes it has some crude lanaguage BUT its used when it has to be, I felt before it was used for the sake of using it and it was tedious. I liked the whole story ...more
Lauren Maunsell
I love Martina Cole, she has been my favorite author for a few years but I have actually found this book to be not quite as gripping as some of her previous (eg: Two Women). There are so many characters in the book it's hard to keep track which is a shame as usually what she is best at is describing things in such detail that you know exactly who they are even if their name's pop up right at the end. Still, I am enjoying it and it has kept my attention so far.. although it has sat on my bedside ...more
Birnita Kruysmulder-Billing
A beach or holiday read - not that well written. Bad use of rhyming slang by the characters, and in parts it droned on. I finished this so I could get it off my bedside table and down to the charity shop for someone else.
MaryG2E
Such a poorly written and constructed story. Also suffers from very poor editing. The writing style is pitched at a low common denominator, and I just could not get engaged with the book. There are many, many far better crime novels available to waste much time on this unfortunate mess.
Nessa
Oct 03, 2016 Nessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another outstanding book from the well known author Martina Cole.

Story plot was gripping, drew you in right from the start. It was great to read all about Kate and Patrick again. There was always lots going on, and I was still shocked at the ending. Loved it.
Joana Oliveira
May 02, 2012 Joana Oliveira rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
after almost 2/3 of the book with no suspects, the killer became way too obvious.
Babete
Jun 01, 2014 Babete rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um policial cheio de suspense e com uma boa dose de realidade crua que é a marca desta autora, imperdível!
Caroline
I never ever ever would have guessed the real killer. My skills are not improving regardless of how many such books I read. Besides that it was a good book to read.
Biggus
Mar 20, 2017 Biggus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
What possessed me to read 80% of this piece of junk is a mystery. Talk about flat characters, who do a lot more arguing and acting out of character than much else. What story there is takes second place to the protagonist's selfishness and constant bitching. Talk about flat characters. Did I mention it repeats itself over and over? Talk about flat characters! Using the vernacular of the book, it gave me the Edgar Britts. Avoid this like the plague.
Joeley
Jun 03, 2017 Joeley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely write reviews but I'm making an exception in this case because this book was horrendous! I had to force myself to finish it because it was so terribly written! If I have to read the word proverbial one more time, I'll kick the proverbial bucket. Needless to say, I will never read anything else by this author.
Victorvanr
Certainly not Cole's best book. Halfway through it was already to me who did it. This was clear because Cole was trying to hide it too obviously.
Seems almost mechanic how the book is built up.
The relationship issues between Kat and Pat is only an annoying sideline.
I would not recommend this book of Martina Cole.
Danielle Curry
Enjoyed the story, can't wait for the 4th instalment
Agnes Wilson
Mar 12, 2017 Agnes Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Don't k no why this boom got so many negative feedback.as I could not put it down thanx Martina Cole for a brilliant story
Veronica
Mar 07, 2017 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. I understand why most of the reviews were saying that Ms Cole seemed to be waffling. I agree that at times there was a lot of repetition and it seems as if she had run out of words. I love the storyline of Patrick and Kate none of that heart and flowers stuff but real pain and heart ache. The story was gripping with its colourful characters but I was not surprised by the identity of the killer.
Mandy
Martina Cole’s newest novel centres around horrific and numerous murders of prostitutes. The ‘hard girls’ are being mutilated and raped, the killer seeming to have an immense hatred for how the girls live their lives and what they stand for. No clues are left behind, the scenes of the murders being thoroughly cleaned and the smell of clinical cleanliness is left hanging in the air. It’s the job of Kate Burrows and Annie Carr to find the dirt and catch this killer.

Kate Burrows is a character Mart
Nathy R.
Dec 28, 2015 Nathy R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Acredito que para ler um livro da Martina é preciso um pouco de estofo. Não é fácil. Da mesma maneira que ela tem uma escrita cativante e divertida, também consegue ser cruel com as discrições que faz. Martina é perita em relatar crimes cruéis. Se em Segredos Mortais trama girava em torno de um assassinato (mal explicado) e prostituição infantil, desta vez a escritora presenteou-me (ou não) com assassinatos em serie. Ao longo do livro algumas prostitutas são encontradas mortas, brutalmente assas ...more
Clare
Jan 09, 2013 Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ladykiller was the first and best book I have read by Martina Cole. Nothing of hers has come close since reading it in the 90's. With Martina's books you know pretty much what you're going to get each time - hard hitting stories about the London underworld - and after reading quite a few over the years I did become a bit bored as they all started to become too familiar. I received Hard Girls as a gift shortly after it was released in hardback and it'd been sat on my bookshelf until I finally ...more
Angela
I really think Martina Cole should stick with what she is good at, and that ISN'T detective/thriller novels!
I have read books by her before and thoroughly enjoyed them. Sadly on this occasion I had to force myself to keep reading, rather than finding myself flying through the pages. The thing that kept me ploughing through, was my desire to find out how it ended-that's something in its favour at least.
Lizzy Baldwin
This is my first encounter with Martina Cole and unfortunately I’m still a tiny bit undecided on this book. I’m not going to include too much about the blurb because it is quite extensive. DCI Kate Burrows is living with Patrick Kelly former criminal who has tried valiantly to change his life for Kate (a former DCI who currently works as a consultant on new cases.) When working girls are found murdered in terrifying ways Kate is drafted into help but it turn out the case falls a little close to ...more
Madeleine
Jan 24, 2016 Madeleine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly unoriginal, unnecessarily drawn out crime thriller... if you could call it a thriller - the lack of ANY suspense left me struggling to reach the end! About three-quarts of this novel was about anything but the actual crimes... Little to zero detective work was actually done.

Firstly, boring overdone premise. Brutally murdered prostitutes... yawn. Cole didn't even bother to put a unique twist on this.
Secondly, absolutely no plot twists - I mean, you literally could pick the killer fr
Natalee
Oct 30, 2016 Natalee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several Martina Cole books in the past and have really enjoyed them. This is one that I hadn't yet read and was a good read.

Kate and Annie both work for Grantley police force and are
investigating the murders of young prostitutes. They are being killed in their places of work which are private flats used for the purpose of prostitution. The girls are alone at the time of murder and all drank a cup of tea before it happened. They are all paralysed and killed in a very horrid way.

Kate
Ceri
Oct 29, 2010 Ceri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
In this book we see the return of old favourite Kate Burrows, a character from earlier books, The Ladykiller and Broken. She’s still living with Patrick Kelly although due to his owning the properties where the girls are being killed as a silent partner causes them to split up. The book does focus a lot on their relationship, a bit too much at times, it got kind of repetitive, if Cole had reduced this it would have made a much better book.

Told in the third person narrative, the dialect used take
Jessica Naylor
This book had potential but some of the writing was dull and very repetitive. A lot of the book was predictable which is why I found it not as gripping as her previous novels such as two women, a personal favourite. I found I enjoyed the characters and got to know them in such depth. However as much as I enjoyed reading about Kate and Patricks problems I really wanted the book to focus on the murders and the detective work to keep up the pace, I felt at times they slowed it down. I enjoyed the e ...more
Ricardo
Dec 16, 2012 Ricardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's meet kate burrows, a legend between cops, retired but still involved in the force as an adviser.
as we meet a little of her background and entanglement with Patrick- a mobster with a name- the first of a series of victims is found dead, mutilated in an horrific state.
after that we follow two parallel stories, one of the criminal world, and other of the investigation team composed by anie carr and kate, who battle to prove themselves as they chase an invisible criminal.
I'd lok to say the end
Elle (Lost in Wonderland)
I'm not really a mystery/Thriller reader in the first place, but this author was suggested to me by a friend so I thought I'd give it a read. I can't say I was really impressed. I don't know if it's becasue this isn't really my genre of choice or it just wasn't one of the authors best work.

I found the story a bit repetitive and it didn't really have me on the edge of my seat as I imagine a good murder mystery would. I found the killer awfully easy to pick aswell, which was quite underwhelming.
  • The Make
  • Two Faced
  • The Betrayer
  • Taken
  • The Villain's Daughter
  • The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4)
Martina Cole was born and brought up in Essex. She is the bestselling author of fourteen novels set in London's gangland, and her most recent three paperbacks have gone straight to No. 1 in the Sunday Times on first publication. Total sales of Martina's novels stand at over eight million copies.

More about Martina Cole...

“again. Eventually she said dismissively, ‘To the best” 0 likes