Start by marking “The Death Dealer” as Want to Read:
The Death Dealer

The Death Dealer (Harrison Investigation #6)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,708 ratings  ·  112 reviews
Author Genevieve O' Brien knows all about nightmares -- she survived two months as a prisoner of a deranged killer. Now, the media is buzzing about the Poe Killings, a string of homicides mirroring the author's macrabre stories. The victims were members of a literary society devoted to the master of crime fiction -- and Genevieve's own mother may be next! Spooked by the bi ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 366 pages
Published May 1st 2008 by Center Point (first published March 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Death Dealer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death Dealer

CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater
This book is actually 2.75 stars. Warning, this book references events in "Dead Room" which I didn't know anything about until someone mentioned to me that there was in fact a prequel. Who knew? It wasn't marked clearly enough for me.

Anyhoo, the constant referencing is probably there for people like me who didn't know and therefore didn't read the first book. So, each character character is affected by the events of the first book - it was a decent book but nothing to write home about.

The premi
Paraphrodite
I consider this as a sequel to The Dead Room. The protagonists are all back in New York, this time the murder is linked to Edgar Allan Poe and his books.

After that totally unexpected ending in The Dead Room, I was ambivalent about this one. Still, it was a good read.
Gina
Rather disappointing…

Genevieve is convinced that the recent death and accident of two members of the New York Poe Society, known as “Ravens”, are connected. Joe doesn’t believe there’s a case. But Genevieve is certain, and as her mother is a Raven, she’ll do anything to protect her.

With the help of friends, Genevieve and Joe investigate and get down to the bottom of what’s going on. Genevieve is having disturbing dreams, Joe is seeing dead people, and while Genevieve accepts that she can see thi
ChocolatPony
Inhalt

Ein Serienmörder treibt in New York sein Unwesen. Die Opfer: Mitglieder der Edgar-Allan-Poe-Gesellschaft. Genevieve O´Brien macht sich große Sorgen, um ihre Mutter, die ebenfalls Mitglied der “Raben” ist. Hat es der Mörder somit auch auf ihre Mutter abgesehen? Genevieve bittet den gut aussehenden Privatdetektiv Joe Connolly um Hilfe und muss sich schnell eingestehen, dass dies nicht der einzige Grund ist, wieso sie den Detektiv gerne in ihrer Nähe hat. Gemeinsam begeben sie sich auf eine J
BJ Rose
I'm glad I read The Dead Room first, or I might have gotten too frustrated to continue. So I can understand the low ratings from people who read this as a stand-alone. I didn't like this quite as much as The Dead Room, but was glad I continued what was really an unfinished story. There are definitely times when the reader needs to be alerted to the fact that this story really started in the previous book.
Heidi
This was not my favorite Heather Graham book. I gave the book almost 150 pages but I couldn't get into it. The male lead seemed like a ... there's no other word for it but ... milktoast... rather he doesn't really have a personality. He apparently lost the woman he loved in a previous book or situation that is followed up in this novel. I was disappointed since I really like her civil war books and what not this one was... disappointing.
Laura Ruetz
I have always been a huge fan of Heather Graham books and this one does not disappoint. This is the book that follows the Dead Room. I will say that you do not have to have read The Dead Room first to understand this book. The author has explained enough about the characters and the plot of that book so that new readers are able to understand what had happened in the past, clearly and without bogging down the book.

The book involves murders based on Edgar Allen Poe, which naturally captured my a
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought to you by OBS staff member Katie
Summary
A serial killer fixated on Edgar Allan Poe stalks New York City in this captivating paranormal romantic thriller from bestseller Graham (The Last Noel). When philanthropist Genevieve O'Brien hires PI Joe Connolly to investigate the murder of Thorne Bigelow, a member of the New York Poe Society, to which Gen's mother also belongs, Joe is initially reluctant to take the case. He's worried about his recently discovered knack for hearing dead people tal
Hikachi
Michael
The Ravens are members of a society who read and study the work of Edgar Allen Poe. When one member of the society is murdered and another survives a serious auto accident, Genevieve O'Brien asks her friend, P.I. Joe Connolly, to investigate.

Genevieve knows about horror and killing since she survived being held prisoner by a crazed killer.

The newspapers refer to the case as the Poe Killings and Genevieve fears that her mother might be the next victim.

To add fun to the story, the author uses phra
Kristen
Someone's killing members of the New York Poe society!

Heather Graham writes clever, interesting easy-to-read murder mysteries with a paranormal twist and a little bit of romance, and I enjoy her books.

This book, because of the Poe Society connection offers a side aspect of some history about Edgar Allen Poe, as the main characters, in the investigation of the murders take a trip through the places, in both New York and other cities, where Poe spent key parts of his life.

There are some red herrin
Ursula Gorman
I usually love Heather Graham, and this is no exception. While I didn't feel this was her best work and it was different from most of the Harrison Investigation books I've read, I still enjoyed it!! But even though this wasn't my favorite book of hers, it's still better than most! I love the Harrison Investigation series and the Nighthawks.
I enjoyed reading about Joe and Gen, it seems from the story that they were introduced in an earlier book, but I haven't had the pleasure of reading it yet.
Christy
More than halfway through the book...and find out from Goodreads that there are actually 5 others that came first in this "series". Wish it had been more clearly marked! Although it certainly explains why they keep referring to events from the past.
This was definitely not my favorite Heather Graham book. I felt like many main points were skimmed over, and the end was thrown together too quickly.
Laurie
The Death Dealer was another average performance for Heather Graham. As the sequel to The Dead Room, I was hoping for a stronger story. The characters Joe Connolly and Genevieve O'Brien are carried over and the plot has them pursuing a killer who is targeting members of a group of Poe fans called the Ravens. Unfortunately, a book that had great potential felt like a knock-off of the first book. Joe and Genevieve begin having visions and communicating with ghosts (much like Leslie in The Dead Roo ...more
Sharon
Rich girl Genevieve (who had narrowly escaped a serial killer, perhaps in a previous book?) hires PI Joe Conolly to investigate the poisoning murder of a member of the New York Poe Society to which her mother belongs. After starting to investigate, Joe starts disturbingly hearing dead people speak, and then Gen starts to hear and see dead people as well. Other people linked with Poe are killed/injured and cases in Baltimore are also linked. The ability to hear ghosts helps Joe with the case and ...more
Jessica
i like grahams writing and this story was no different. throw together a strong but troubled girl with a hot protective guy and im in paranormal aspects are just icing on the cake. the plot and the twist were both great and surprisingly i liked the switches in narrator. i do think some things should have been fleshed out more though. for instance the obsession with leslie is always there but never full explained. in addition the sex between joe and gen was sweet and fairly hot though short in de ...more
Evelyn Bryant
Typical, of this author, with intrigue, etc, but not very interesting as the characters did not stand out in any way. There was not sufficient tension between Joe and Genevieve to even make them interesting. Genevieve was rather tiresome. She hires Joe to check into the situation but then insists on putting herself in possible harm although she knows that this stresses him. Then if that is not enough she insists that she go out and does the investigation herself. How he could have come to love s ...more
Frances
Entirely what I was looking for; some mild annoyance with a character's justifications for putting herself in trouble (not with her doing it, just with the justifications), but generally a fun read. Tagged for fantasy vs ghost stories due to general tone.
Sharon
It's hard to classify "The Death Dealer" by genre; it's part paranormal, part mystery, and a smattering of romance.

We have a private investigator, Joe, who is hired by Genevieve to help investigate a murder -- because she fears her mother might be targeted. The victim and Genevieve's mother are both members of the local Poe Society ... and the murder seems reminiscent of Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado."

Joe, though, is hearing ghost's voices -- two different dead men speak to him, and his one-ti
Anna
Not bad. Really not bad. I don't think I've ever read a book by Heather Graham previously (though it's possible) and it was a pleasant surprise. There wasn't the intensity that I was expecting from a book with such a provocative title but it grabbed my attention and kept it.

Which made the ending so much more disappointing but that's my own issue. I felt the rise to the conclusion was ridiculous considering the actions of the characters throughout the rest of the book. However, once again, that's
Kitty Tomlinson
Genevieve's mother is a member of a society that studies Edgar Allan Poe and his works. A member of the society has been murdered and another member seriously injured. This begins the hunt for the Poe Killer.
Kate
This book is a rarity: a romantic suspense that actually frightened. Usually it's the romance that takes prominence in the story, not the suspense. This book, however, was very strong in suspense and scares.

The only bad thing I can say about this book is I can imagine most people feeling overloaded with information about Poe. Since I'm a big time Poe fan, it didn't bother me so much (and it helped that I was reading it for a school project on Poe). I did love learning about the Ravens, the soci
Ellyn
This book continues the story of Joe and Genevieve who first appeared in "The Dead Room." I had hoped that this book would improve on the first, but it was pretty much as flat as it. The mystery "Poe Killings" aspect was just not believable or interesting and the ghost whisperer aspect was not fleshed out enough. And I hate that so many books rush the endings--you find out who the bad guy is, the hero/heroine is rescued, and bam, it's over. There wasn't enough of Leslie's view from the otherside ...more
Mindy
Reasonable book let down by author's choice of words to describe sex workers and her evident belief that they all need or want to be saved.
Amber Thompson
This book started off well and ended well, but the middle of the book was slow. Overall a good book. Wish I would hve known it was after another book. It would have helped to have read the one before.
Vina
Suka ama cerita Joe & Genieve
Brianna
okay, i never finished this book, so i am not going to rate it. i couldn't finish it because of three reasons: One is the previosu book featuring Joe and the girl left a bad taste in my mouth. I really want Joe and Lesile to end up togehter. two is in the beginning of the novel, i can see that joe is still hung up over lesile and that really pissed me off because if she hadn't killed her of, they would probably be together. third is that i think these character are a little bit over work and it' ...more
Evelyn
Social worker Genevieve O'Brien is still struggling emotionally after being held hostage by a deranged killer. She hires PI Joe Connolly after she learns that someone may be killing members of a literary society called The Ravens because her mother is a member. When Genevieve and Joe start getting clues from beyond the grave, the story really gets going.

Continues storyline and characters from The Dead Room. Interesting paranormal twist to the usual romantic suspense story makes for a great read
Debi
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the way she continued it from The Dead Room. I feel she tied up the loose ends she left from The Dead Room in this book..smiles. I am loving the way she has tied Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven into the story. I think she did a wonderful job on the book..smiles. And I would definetly recommend it to others..smiles.
  • Dead By Dusk (Vampire, #6)
  • Out of Mind (Court of Angels, #2)
  • Edge of Danger (T-FLAC, #8)
  • Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #9)
  • Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2)
  • The Angel (Ireland, # 2)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Scent of Roses
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
  • Ghouls, Ghouls, Ghouls (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #5)
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria
More about Heather Graham...
Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2) Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) Haunted (Harrison Investigation, #1)