Start by marking “Teaching Reading in Small Groups: Differentiated Instruction for Building Strategic, Independent Readers” as Want to Read:

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  18 reviews
For teachers who sometimes feel as if data-based instruction, differentiated groupings, and formative assessments somehow involve going over to The Dark Side, this book is a powerful antidote. It will help you know that you can hold tight to your deepest beliefs about children and literature, classrooms communities, and good teaching. -Lucy Calkins
Author of Units of Study
Published January 26th 2010 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Reading in Small Groups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Reading in Small Groups

Mandy Robek
As I finished reading this book, I found myself wanting to go back and reread it right then. A great text for planning and working with independent readers in small groups. If you are looking for a fresh look at reading workshop, then this is a must read. Every child in a small group doesn't need to be reading the same text.
Rachel Vote
This book is a 2.5. There are a couple useful pieces that I can apply to my classroom, but it is really geared more for elementary students rather than all ages of students who need small group reading instruction.
Alexis
Very useful with immediately applicable strategies for the classroom. Enjoy all the tables and figures for easy reading.
Amy Bisson
Precisely written and clear. Wish I'd read it a LOT sooner!
Michele Knott
This book has really helped me wrap my mind about working in small groups, with reading strategies as the focus. This book was easy to read, yet gave me much to think about.
For educators who are either looking to start small reading groups or are looking to refine their small reading groups, Serravallo has ideas to give readers the most time to practice independent, strategic reading.
Carol
A great book that is practical and enjoyable to read. The author gives many concrete examples of how to teach small groups more effectively. It makes sense to teach to the child and utilize their own reading materials to teach mini-lessons. It is not necessary for the entire class to be reading the same book to discuss something like the main idea or character development. I have it marked and highlighted everywhere!
Caroline Thompson
New professional book club book. Have to read Chapters 1 and 2 by Tuesday. Lucy Calkin's introduction is awesome! "For teachers who sometimes feel as if data-based instruction, differentiated groupings, and formative assessments somehow involve going over to The Dark Side, this book is a powerful antidote." p. x
Gretchen Taylor
Such thoughtful work showing how explicit, intentional small group instruction works in the workshop classroom- choice and individual needs are still at the center. This is one of my newest go-to professional reads!
Suzanne Kerfin
MANY grouping ideas, some of which I hadn't thought of (motivational groups, for example). I appreciated the updated outlook on combining flexible, multi-level strategy groups with more traditional "book" groups.
Heather
Jennifer Serravallo provides a great overview of small-group instruction in reading as well as classroom vignettes and practical tips. I found this helpful for my teaching and instructional coaching.
Kristin
Great tips, strategies, and techniques to use in your classroom! Some ideas can be adapted for content area classes to help students understand textbooks, articles, etc.
Carmen Reyes
Jul 23, 2010 Carmen Reyes is currently reading it
Jennifer Serravallo spoke at the Teachers College Reading Institute in NYC. She was a very inspiring speaker which led me to purchase her book.
Sherry
Specific ways to group children in differentiated ways to assure sure and steady progress as a reader.
Diana Pettis
A must read for all my teacher friends. I loved it. One of the best teacher books I have read in a while.
Clare and Tammy - Teachers for Teachers
Love this book -- we use it again and again. Great ideas and fun to read!
Daina Jaeger Mundt
Excellent book for using Readers Workshop in the classroom.
Linda
full of great ideas
Jeananne
Jeananne is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Sherry Davis
Sherry Davis marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Jamie Banks
Jamie Banks marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Alida
Alida is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2015
Rene
Rene is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2015
Caitlyn
Caitlyn is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2015
Caroline Chumo
Caroline Chumo marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Pam Bartholomew
Pam Bartholomew is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2015
Cami
Cami marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • What Readers Really Do: Teaching the Process of Meaning Making
  • Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement
  • Conferring with Readers: Supporting Each Student's Growth and Independence
  • Nonfiction Craft Lessons: Teaching Information Writing K-8
  • Energize Research Reading and Writing: Fresh Strategies to Spark Interest, Develop Independence, and Meet Key Common Core Standards, Grades 4-8
  • Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives
  • Choice Words: How Our Language Affects Children's Learning
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • Conferring: The Keystone of Reader's Workshop
  • Live Writing: Breathing Life into Your Words
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • Everyday Editing: Inviting Students to Develop Skill and Craft in Writer's Workshop
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • Comprehension Going Forward: Where We Are / What's Next
  • How's It Going?: A Practical Guide to Conferring with Student Writers
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers The Literacy Teacher's Playbook, Grades 3-6: Four Steps for Turning Assessment Data Into Goal-Directed Instruction The Literacy Teacher's Playbook, Grades K-2: Four Steps for Turning Assessment Data Into Goal-Directed Instruction Teaching Reading in Small Groups Conferring with Readers: Supporting Each Student's Growth and Independence