Start by marking “Teaching Reading in Small Groups: Differentiated Instruction for Building Strategic, Independent Readers” as Want to Read:

For teachers who sometimes feel as if data-based instruction, differentiated groupings, and formative assessments somehow involve going over to The Dark Side, this book is a powerful antidote. It will help you know that you can hold tight to your deepest beliefs about children and literature, classrooms communities, and good teaching. Lucy Calkins
Author of Units of Study
Published January 26th 2010 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Reading in Small Groups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Reading in Small Groups

Mr. Gottshalk
Oct 01, 2016 Mr. Gottshalk rated it really liked it
I think there is something for every teacher of reading in this book. Certainly, no one teacher can possibly use ALL of the strategies for grouping and conferencing that Ms. Serravallo suggests, but by thinking about one's own students, there are some good suggestions. Reading workshop, I am finding, is not something where a teacher can just dive in and do it the Lucy Calkins way. Trying to develop a piece of the master plan a bit at a time is what I am doing and am please with what I see. Don't ...more
Mandy Robek
Dec 30, 2014 Mandy Robek rated it it was amazing
As I finished reading this book, I found myself wanting to go back and reread it right then. A great text for planning and working with independent readers in small groups. If you are looking for a fresh look at reading workshop, then this is a must read. Every child in a small group doesn't need to be reading the same text.
Michele Knott
Aug 16, 2014 Michele Knott rated it it was amazing
This book has really helped me wrap my mind about working in small groups, with reading strategies as the focus. This book was easy to read, yet gave me much to think about.
Alexis
Jan 05, 2016 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pd-books, non-fiction
Very useful with immediately applicable strategies for the classroom. Enjoy all the tables and figures for easy reading.
Carol
Jun 20, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing
A great book that is practical and enjoyable to read. The author gives many concrete examples of how to teach small groups more effectively. It makes sense to teach to the child and utilize their own reading materials to teach mini-lessons. It is not necessary for the entire class to be reading the same book to discuss something like the main idea or character development. I have it marked and highlighted everywhere!
Caroline Thompson
New professional book club book. Have to read Chapters 1 and 2 by Tuesday. Lucy Calkin's introduction is awesome! "For teachers who sometimes feel as if data-based instruction, differentiated groupings, and formative assessments somehow involve going over to The Dark Side, this book is a powerful antidote." p. x
Gretchen Taylor
Jul 30, 2014 Gretchen Taylor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Such thoughtful work showing how explicit, intentional small group instruction works in the workshop classroom- choice and individual needs are still at the center. This is one of my newest go-to professional reads!
Suzanne Kerfin
Jan 03, 2011 Suzanne Kerfin rated it really liked it
MANY grouping ideas, some of which I hadn't thought of (motivational groups, for example). I appreciated the updated outlook on combining flexible, multi-level strategy groups with more traditional "book" groups.
Rachel Vote
Mar 30, 2015 Rachel Vote rated it it was ok
This book is a 2.5. There are a couple useful pieces that I can apply to my classroom, but it is really geared more for elementary students rather than all ages of students who need small group reading instruction.
Feb 20, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
For educators who are either looking to start small reading groups or are looking to refine their small reading groups, Serravallo has ideas to give readers the most time to practice independent, strategic reading.
Carmen Reyes
Jul 23, 2010 Carmen Reyes is currently reading it
Jennifer Serravallo spoke at the Teachers College Reading Institute in NYC. She was a very inspiring speaker which led me to purchase her book.
Kristin
Aug 23, 2012 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Great tips, strategies, and techniques to use in your classroom! Some ideas can be adapted for content area classes to help students understand textbooks, articles, etc.
Sherry
Jul 20, 2013 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Specific ways to group children in differentiated ways to assure sure and steady progress as a reader.
Jim Gianotti
Jun 08, 2016 Jim Gianotti rated it it was amazing
A book that I will draw from repeatedly as I work with staff, developing their craft while teaching small groups.
Diana Pettis
Dec 04, 2011 Diana Pettis rated it really liked it
A must read for all my teacher friends. I loved it. One of the best teacher books I have read in a while.
Heather
Apr 18, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Jennifer Serravallo provides a great overview of small-group instruction in reading as well as classroom vignettes and practical tips. I found this helpful for my teaching and instructional coaching.
Ann Poole
Ann Poole rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
ICEMAN
ICEMAN rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Sherril Ellis
Sherril Ellis rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Tresh Gordon
Tresh Gordon rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Bbuschman
Bbuschman rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Christopher Lehman
Christopher Lehman rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
Barbie Birnbaum
Barbie Birnbaum rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2016
Kathy Snyder
Kathy Snyder rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Gresham
Gresham rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Lorie Squalls
Lorie Squalls rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Daina Jaeger Mundt
Aug 06, 2011 Daina Jaeger Mundt rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for using Readers Workshop in the classroom.
Courtney Jenee
Courtney Jenee rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Dee Brideau
Dee Brideau rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Conferring with Readers: Supporting Each Student's Growth and Independence
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement
  • What Readers Really Do: Teaching the Process of Meaning Making
  • Nonfiction Craft Lessons: Teaching Information Writing K-8
  • Energize Research Reading and Writing: Fresh Strategies to Spark Interest, Develop Independence, and Meet Key Common Core Standards, Grades 4-8
  • Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives
  • Conferring: The Keystone of Reader's Workshop
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • Everyday Editing: Inviting Students to Develop Skill and Craft in Writer's Workshop
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook