Start by marking “Larger Than Life” as Want to Read:
Larger Than Life

Larger Than Life

Georgina has gone to great lengths to transform herself into the kind of woman Hugh Williams could love. Now, at thirty-two, she's got the perfect career (in advertising), the perfect body (just say no to doughnuts), and at last, the perfect man (who finally left his overbearing wife). Life with sexy, career-driven Hugh is like a page from a magazine -- what more could a w ...more
Published August 5th 2003 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Larger Than Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Larger Than Life

Cindy
I've had this for some time and finally got around to reading it. It was not the fluffy chick-lit book that I had originally envisioned. The plot revolves around George (Georgina) who finds herself accidentally pregnant. She finds it terribly inconvenient and spends the first part of her pregnancy bemoaning her loss of shape. But she finally falls in love with her bump and enjoys the experience. She, at least, grows up in the course of the book. The ending is telegraphed but that does not lessen ...more
Hailey M
Dec 05, 2013 Hailey M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler Alert!
Researchers have proven that people can reduce stress through pregnancy by talking to their partners and telling them how they feel. Generally speaking, usually people would think their partner would be listening and willing to talk, but that’s not always the case. Being pregnant is difficult for women. What’s harder is trying to talk to someone when they don’t listen and blow everything off. Reading books and looking at reality, it’s pretty clear when a pregnant woman’s partner go
Anna
Apr 16, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I bought this book I thought it would be one of those "easy-reading" books and I never thought it would be so touching and so deep. Amazing story about a woman who got pregnant with a baby she didn't want to and how it drastically it changed her life.
Steffi
Feb 03, 2011 Steffi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A novel that perpetuates the stereotype that women should want marriage and babies, do want marriage and babies, and do get marriage and babies. Funny in the beginning, pathetic in the middle, sappy in the end. A quick read.
Jenny
Oct 24, 2010 Jenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say really. Rubbish chick lit!!
Jo
Apr 24, 2013 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carol Cooper
Jun 05, 2016 Carol Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hated the premise of this book, but the lively writing drew me in despite all my reservations. Adele Parks really knows how to paint a picture, and I love her wit and her true to life dialogue. I was still bothered by many of the details, though. By the end of the pregnancy Georgina should have had a lot more empathy with the baby, for instance. But I didn’t take the book too seriously and as a result I really enjoyed it.
Tanya
Apr 30, 2012 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What was I thinking, reading a book about a girl who becomes pregnant when she does not want to and struggles with all things pregnancy related? UGH. It made my uterus tie itself in a knot.

Poor Georgina. Knocked up by her married boyfriend, living the dream otherwise. High-powered ad exec in London with the world as her oyster, if it were not for this 'thing' growing inside her.

As she progresses through her pregnancy, (really? 16 pounds gained at 16 weeks?!?!?!?), all I noticed was how misinfor
Jacquie Denton
Jan 07, 2014 Jacquie Denton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is very readable book. I really liked the character Georgina (though she should have had mug written across her forehead). She is totally besotted by Hugh for14 years, before and after his marriage to someone else. Then she gets pregnant by accident and she loses her figure and Hugh isn't much interested as he has two children already. I didn't know it was possible to find a man so selfish and wrapped up in himself. Things change with the pregnancy and so does George. Good ending!
Nezzo
Sep 18, 2011 Nezzo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Животът е кошмарен, обстоятелствата те заливат когато най-малко ги очакваш. Давиш се в собствените си грешки и се блъскаш във всичко понеже си сляп. Не можеш да надживееш предразсъдъците и си преглъщаш всичко, което не искаш да ти се случи като го приписваш на нещо друго. После живота ти се преобръща и събираш силата да бъдеш човек.
Книгата доста ме дразнеше на моменти, но я разбирах напълно, защото и аз като Джорджи наистина не обичам децата, така че нейният кошмар ми беше ясно познат, доста кор
Mallory
Feb 09, 2015 Mallory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got it for a simple travel book, then I started reading it. I love this book so much and couldn't put it down, I even started to walk and read the book
Bree
Nov 24, 2008 Bree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I finished this book awhile ago, but it took me weeks to do so. I did have that feeling that I must stay up one more hour or read one more chapter. I wasn't the world's biggest fan of George. My problem may have been that I have never been pregnant before so her constant complaining of being "fat" and other superficial things got on my nerves. I don't believe certain things would have happened in real life either...there are "codes" that you just don't break and her friend Sam definitely put her ...more
Julie
Jan 09, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book as i wanted something quick and easy to read, this did not disappoint ! The plot was predictable but think it was meant to be , the moral of the story being leopards never change their spots and if someone can do the dirty on his wife he will probably do it on you too. The book got on my nerves with the constant negatives about pregnancy and was enough to put anyone off having children ! It did get me wondering are there really woman who would base their whole lives around a m ...more
Melissa
Sep 19, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok chick lit, kind of formulaic. Girl chases guy for years, finally gets him, gets pregnant, he loses interest.
Maria
Jul 06, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this one! I'm not quite finished but it is such an entertaining read.
Apurba Mandal
Jun 07, 2016 Apurba Mandal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing special at all. Just some stupid chick lit, this isn't what I wanted to read. Couldn't even finish reading it.
Jennifer S. Brown
I picked this book up for a vacation read, as I wanted something light and fluffy that took place in England, and this fit the bill. Yes, the character occasionally got on my nerves as she whined about being so fat (while being pregnant), and you knew how the book would end. But Parks does throw a few surprises in there and over all, George is a likable character and for a vacation read, it was perfect. If you're not going to London for mindless fun, though, I wouldn't bother with this one.
Tamara
Apr 05, 2015 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun fluffy read
Mark Farley
Jun 23, 2013 Mark Farley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now, for a novel about the different periods of pregnancy and heavily referencing such un-bloke things as gestation periods and labour pains, I found this intensely readable and page turning, but that is the beauty and skill of Adele's books, in that she can write for men too. It's also great for the girls, especially those that have tried to hold down a hectic social life whilst gestating.
Christi Tollinger
Georgina has gone to great lengths to transform herself into the kind of woman she thinks Hugh wants. When Georgina gets pregnant her whole life is turned upside down and she does not know whether a baby is even something she wants.

In the end Georgina discovers herself and what is most important in her life.

This was a very easy read but I found it to be a bit boring.
Lynsey
I really had to force myself to (skim) read this book, I lost interest half way through. I wish I hadn't bothered. It started off as a light, bubblegum-for-the-brain read but soon got tedious. The story was predictable, I didn't warm to any of the characters, least of all Georgina, so what was there to hold my interest? Erm...............................
Catherine Goggin
I thoroughly enjoyed this. The sudden outburst of laughter followed by the tearful sentimental smile it finished on, and all the while marvelling at the accuracy and depth of understanding of the human psyche all put in a totally compelling and desirable story. Completely recommendable and nothing like what I'd usually read.
Mpume ngobese
a bit dated in some scenes as the book was written in mid-90s, however, I thought that the book was well-written and captures the struggles some women have with regards to relationships, self-acceptance and life in general. it teaches women to love themselves way more than anybody else would love them.
Ophelia London
May 02, 2012 Ophelia London rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I've been doing a lot of writing the past few weeks, so this book was due at the library before I even got halfway. I really liked the voice of the MC in the first chapter, then she got really needy and annoying. I'd like to try this author again someday.
Kim
Jan 10, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't do it. I wanted to like and understand the main character, but it never happened. She was whiny, paranoid and pretty much completely unlikeable. Very disappointed in this book.
Gervy
Dec 07, 2012 Gervy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bed-books, fluff
Better than standard chick lit. The main character is essentially unlikable at the beginning of the novel and gradually redeems herself. Like "Young Wives' Tales" there are some passages on motherhood which are quite accurate.
Amber
First I read by this author, got from paperbackswap.com. Enjoyed it but nothing to write home about. Maybe a little heavy handed, but it didn't turn me off enough to put it down. I am in them mood for baby books I think.
Lauren
Jan 28, 2009 Lauren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At first the book was an interesting look into another life. After she got pregnant, I kept wondering when she was going to leave that worthless P.O.S. she shared an apartment with.
Carly
Aug 23, 2012 Carly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a pretty decent book. it took a while for the story to delevop but the ending was very good. wouldn't be a very appropriate book though for readers with no children!
Dawn Stanton
"average" female...lives in London....loves gorgeous man-whore....gets pregnant....realizes mistakes....very predictable.
Adele Parks Fans: Larger than life 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 01:38AM
  • Growing Up Twice
  • Momfriends (Momfriends #1)
  • Making Hay (Honeycote, #2)
  • A Little Change of Face
  • Birthday Girls
  • Dreaming of a Stranger
  • Every Woman Knows A Secret
  • In the Mood
Adele Parks was born in Teesside, NE England. She studied English Language and Literature, at Leicester University. She published her first novel, Playing Away, in 2000; that year the Evening Standard identified Adele as one of London’s ‘Twenty Faces to Watch.’ Indeed Playing Away was the debut bestseller of 2000.
Prolific, Adele has published nine novels in nine years, including Game Over, Tell Me
More about Adele Parks...