Start by marking “One Beastly Beast” as Want to Read:
One Beastly Beast

One Beastly Beast

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  31 reviews
One beastly beast that's more than meets the eye.

Two aliens with slimy tentacles and too many eyes fixed on adopting a human son.

Three inventors and a sea serpent, a princess, an orphanage, and two ships full of pirates.

Four fantastic tales by renowned fantasy author Garth Nix.
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published April 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about One Beastly Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Beastly Beast

Alison
I'm trying to read one children's book per week, and this was the first. Maybe that was a mistake, because it will be a hard act to follow. Hilarious! Fun! Unexpected! My favorite story was the one about Princess Chlorinda, but I also loved the DVD-stealing pirates. Ha! Get it! Piracy! The illustrations also rocked.
J
Wow, this was fantastic! What a really enjoyable book. Judging from One Beastly Beast, Mr. Nix is one of those rare authors who can produce extremely silly work that is also well-written rather than grating. In the introduction, he mentions that he writes the stories he would like to read, and there's a genuinely childlike quality to the way the stories unfold. One gets a feeling of agility as one reads--events following one after another in a very linear way, each one sillier and more inventive ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Mechele R. Dillard for TeensReadToo.com

Fantasy writer Garth Nix has created a short story collection for the younger set. Exploring the underworld of rat pirates; adoptions of Earthlings by odd, tentacled aliens; a princess literally searching the belly of the beast; and a brainiac solving the dilemmas of a kindhearted sea serpent, Nix introduces young readers to the possibilities of the imagination between the covers of a book.

ONE BEASTLY BEAST is an excellent choice for the reluct
Tamra
Jun 25, 2011 Tamra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and their children
Aww! So cute.

4 completely disconnected stories. They're fun and light and fast. It took me until mid-way through story three to figure out why this story telling format was familiar. These are bedtime stories!

So I started reading them to my children (ages 9, 7, and 5). I briefly described the 4 stories (talking pirate rats who steal some DVDS (clever, no? pirating DVDS? ... I thought it was clever), an inventor child who almost becomes adopted by aliens, a princess who has a run-in with a beastl
Ben
A few fun short stories that hold true to the unique creative style of Garth Nix -- an author who has created some of the most creative fictional worlds I've been exposed to.
Mandy
I really enjoyed this book. I've been a fan of Garth Nix since I was in middle school, and while this book is geared more for younger readers than for his usual crowd of teenagers and adults, I still loved it. I've always had a soft spot for those tales that don't take themselves too seriously, which immediately endeared these stories to me. Conclusion: excellent short stories which, at 17, I am still not too old for.
Ryan Patrick
Disappointing stuff from an otherwise good author. Yes, this is aimed at a fairly young audience, but as I often note in my reviews, if it seems like I could have written it, it's not very good.

Interestingly, you can see some very rudimentary versions of some things that he has developed into something good in his novels (the Raised Rats in Drowned Wednesday, for example).
Carissa
short stories with funny little spot illustrations. i usually am not tempted to purchase short story collections for the library because they don’t get checked out, but with an author as big as this one… and the stories are pretty funny. i especially like the first story about rats who are pirates and steal dvd’s.
Susan
Big fun in small doses are provided in this collection of four short stories of high interest reading by Garth Nix who is well known as a writer of "deathly" tales for teens involving necromancers like Sabriel.

The first story involves pirate rats, a boy and a journey through a sewer to save the day.
Amanda Northrup
Who knew Garth Nix can write funny middle grade stories?! Fun, simple, and creative, these fantasy short stories will play well with the grades 3-5 crowd. An excellent addition to any classroom library, especially since books of short stories for this age group can be hard to come by.
Wilde Sky
Four stories aimed at children.

Of the four stories the best were ‘Blackbread the Pirate’ and ‘The Princess and the Beastly Beast’. None of the stories were too taxing and some of the illustrations were very good.
Steven Kent
Four light, happy, non-world-shaking short stories meant for the upper elementary school crowd. No lasting value here, but pleasant and humorous. Nix is one of the best YA writers out these days.
Katie Jane
Recommended to me by a boy who always comes to me for book recs at the library. I can see why it appeals so much to young readers, but it's a little too juvenile for me.
Jessica
Great for reluctant readers. Even though the story is not quite the same I think Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants readers would enjoy this as well.
Amy Brown
Four short stories that are funny and fantastical. Although not mentioned in the title, there's a pirate story as well.
Jeanna
Not as quirky and random as I had hoped, but still relatively enjoyable, especially for a younger child.
Lynette
Read this out loud to Steve, a couple chapters at a time before bed.

OH MY GOD IT WAS SO FUNNY. WE LOVED IT.
Krista
A cute, funny collection of four stories for small children. Adults will find it amusing as well.
Kate
Four cute stories by Garth Nix (written for a much younger group than his other books).
amber
How can some of what Garth Nix writes be so awesome and some just be so shrug worthy?
Travis
Indefinitely not the target audience but I thought the stories were fun.
Alohatiki
Like the one about the smart girl who becomes a penguin the best.
Javin
It was ok the plot was repetative. It was funny though
Carol
Sep 24, 2007 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle elementary
Nothing deep here...light-hearted fantasy short stories.
Miriam
Skipped the first story about the video pirate rats.
Elizabeth
A set of cute short stories about kids having adventures.
Colleenish
These four stories were zany and fun!
Arren Q
cute. not life changing, but cute.
  • Between Two Ends
  • The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes
  • Gabriel Finley and the Raven's Riddle
  • Midnight Library: Voices
  • Betti on the High Wire
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • Vote for Me!
  • 13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey
  • Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #2)
  • Snake and Lizard
  • Aviary Wonders Inc. Spring Catalog and Instruction Manual
  • Summer at Forsaken Lake
  • Meanwhile
  • Blue Jasmine
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De
More about Garth Nix...
Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1) Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3) Lirael (Abhorsen, #2) Mister Monday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #1) Drowned Wednesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #3)