Start by marking “The Little Book of Answers” as Want to Read:
The Little Book of Answers

The Little Book of Answers

Have you ever wondered why... we say, "I hear it thought the grape vine"? golf assistants are called "caddies"? there is a best man at weddings? a leg injury is called a "Charlie horse"? the British drive o the left and North American on the right? a coward is "yellow"? brides are carried over the threshold? a formal suit is a "tuxedo"? ...more
Published August 21st 2009 by MJF Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Answers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Book of Answers

Randell  Green
Nov 17, 2016 Randell Green rated it really liked it
5.5.16 - 11.17.16
Jude Brigley
Sep 16, 2016 Jude Brigley rated it really liked it
Fascinating read for anyone interested in how language evolved.I feel that I should have known that golf evolved from 'Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden.'
Cheryl Gatling
This is a fun little book. The tidbits of information are bite-sized, each question and answer a single paragraph. I learned a number of things that I shared with my friends. "Did you know...?" There was only one problem with it. The answers weren't always correct. I looked up some of them on other sources, and found different, or more complex, answers. So this book may not give you the definitive answer to the questions inside it, but it will give you one of the popular explanations floating ...more
Sande
Jun 20, 2012 Sande rated it liked it
Charming. The title didn't quite match the read, because it's really about the origin of well-understood words and expressions. I've read similar collections, and instead of really enjoying half or two thirds, I was engaged on every single entry. Some of my favorites: the origin of croissants or crescent rolls, why prostitutes are called hookers, what we mean by saying "put a sock in it." I was given this book at the ten-year celebration of our local book group.
Karen
Jul 23, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
A fascinating and fun little book on the origins of sayings/expressions. Really enjoyed reading this, it was recommended by one of my sons, he kept reading outtakes to me and I got intrigued. If you've ever wondered where the expression honeymoon came from or how the ship speed in knots is determined this is the book for you.
Beth
Dec 24, 2013 Beth added it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
The origins of a trophy is disturbing and back to ancient Greece were the dead soldiers parts hung from a tree. As for Rudolph the Red nosed reindeer he could have bee Rollo or Reginald. Not having a clew would be lost without a ball of string. IV schools is still my favorite fact. This book is usually displayed at my family's coffee table this time of year.
Eric
Feb 23, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it
Recommended to Eric by: Julie Laney
This was a short and enjoyable book that I received as a Christmas present. It provided short, but thorough explanations of some of those little "hmmm" moments of life. Definitely not an academic work, I recommend it to anyone who enjoys language and its origins and sociology.
Patricia Baker
Oct 03, 2013 Patricia Baker rated it liked it
i liked this little book with many tidbits of random information. would be a great book to put in the bathroom to read when you just want to read something without linking it together. great pick up and put down book. liked the different chapters. something for everyone.
Marcie
Mar 17, 2014 Marcie rated it it was amazing
Do you need some cocktail party conversation? This charming book will provide you with loads of discussion starters. It's full of bite-sized factoids that you can read over time and is interesting to all ages. Lovely.
Jacqueline
Jun 22, 2016 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful little book of fascinating factoids. Very interesting! Great for history buffs and trivia lovers.
Margie
Aug 03, 2014 Margie rated it liked it
Interesting collection of facts, figures, history and yes, trivia, for those of us who love to know little bits about all sorts of things. Sure to satisfy the curious-minded.
Laura Ostermeyer
Jun 05, 2016 Laura Ostermeyer rated it it was amazing
An interesting and educational book that is a quick and fun read. Perfect for any trivia buff or someone who enjoys learning the meaning behind things!
Lorna
Dec 18, 2014 Lorna rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The small but interesting book makes a nice "coffee table" book when you need something quick to read. I liked that the answers were all fairly short and uncomplicated. And I learned alot too.
Stefania
Stefania rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Hank Weaver
Hank Weaver rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Melody Palmer
Melody Palmer rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Jason Loeffler
Jason Loeffler rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
BrocheAroe
BrocheAroe rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Dana Town
Dana Town rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Savannah Blake
Savannah Blake rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Roland Bennett
Roland Bennett rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Mary Louise
Mary Louise rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Rhea
Rhea rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2012
Charlie
Charlie rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Ethan
Ethan rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Larry Nyland
Larry Nyland rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016