Start by marking “The Pallbearers (Shane Scully, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Pallbearers (Shane Scully, #9)

The Pallbearers (Shane Scully #9)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  547 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Abandoned by his parents as an infant and shunted from one foster family to another, Shane was ultimately raised in an orphanage called Huntington House. The only positive thing in his young life was the attention of the home’s director, Walter “Pop” Dix. Pop, an avid surfer, would take a small group of kids for early morning surfing. He was big-hearted, patient, and the f ...more
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published March 16th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Pallbearers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pallbearers

William Bentrim
The Pallbearers by Stephen J. Cannell

Shane Scully doesn’t believe that Pop Dixon committed suicide neither do the other pallbearers at his funeral. They form a “murder club” and seek answers to this mystery.

Cannell’s Scully is explained in this book. Shane is a reoccurring character that frequently flies off the grid and exhibits a lot of anger. I haven’t read too many of the books featuring him but in this one you find out the source of his anger. The colorful characters literally illuminate t
LJ
First Sentence: In 1976 America was just coming out of a protracted depression called the Vietnam War, but back then I was still in the middle of mine.

Homicide Detective Shane Scully was abandoned as an infant and grew up in the system. The only person who ever tried to give him some sense of being cared for was Walter “Pop” Dix, executive director of Huntington House. When Shane is told Pop committed suicide and specifically asked that Shane be a pallbearer, it doesn’t make sense. Shane hadn’t
Joe O'c
Excellent; Continuing character: Shane Scully; when the man who helped get Scully on the right path when he was bouncing between foster homes dies, he is one of six people who the man helped called to be a pallbearer; when it turns out the man was murdered, this mixed group takes on trying to solve the case
Dennis
I would give it an almost OK. Kind of like a book that was laying around and I needed one to read and did not have to many options. I usually like Cannell but this is way too heavy on the surfer lingo and the mix of violence and mushy just did work this time.
Lou
Another great book in the Shane Scully series. Scully has been asked to look into the death of a man who basically raised him when he was abandoned by his parents. He and five others from the group home were asked to be "Pop"'s pallbearers at his funeral. What follows is an investigation with a lot of questions, resistance, and other impediments that only Scully and his wife Alexa can tangle with. A good read for sure.
David
While not a big fan of The Pallbearers, I am a big fan of Stephen J. Cannell as a writer and a person. I felt there wasn't enough happening in this one to hold my interest. But the part where Scully is trying to figure out whether a friend's suicide was suicide is worth a read. Without giving too much away, a friend of Scully's is dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the face. His head has been obliterated. How can you tell if it was a suicide? Good stuff. There are also some well written ...more
Jeffrey
Mar 21, 2010 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans who like light engrossing cop/ detective novels
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2010
Forward momentum. Thats what you get in a Shane Scully novel. Scully grew up in an orphanage which was run by Walter Dix, a surfer. Many years later, Scully is surprised to hear that Dix has committed suicide and that Dix wanted Scully to serve as a Pallbearer for the casket. The five other Pallbearers, a lawyer, a CPA, an Army Ranger, the current director of the house and a bank robber, and Scully get together after the funeral and find that no one believes that Dix killed himself. So with Scul ...more
M.
I thought this was an interesting book, not one I'd read before under a different title and slightly different storyline. It's a mystery surrounding the death of "Pop" Dix, the director of the orphanage where all the good guys were raised, but the mystery is surrounded by a lot of soul searching on the part of several of the protagonists. The book is written in first person and told from his point of view. I gave it only 2 stars because I listened to it on CD and got tired of the "poor me, I'm s ...more
Sharon Lensky
Scully mystery. Deftly shows that most people are a mixture of good and bad. Shame about Pop though.
Macjest
This is a Shane Scully novel and I believe one of the last books Cannell wrote before he died. Scully is a LAPD homicide cop who was an orphan. This is an important detail that plays out over time in the previous novels. In this book, the manager of a group home, where Scully grew up, dies. At first it is ruled suicide, but as the story progresses, it looks suspicious. Scully and other members of the group home investigate. I haven't read a Scully novel for several years, as I had gotten tired o ...more
Richard
Apr 19, 2010 Richard rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes action/adventure, police procedurals, LA.
Recommended to Richard by: I read or watch all Mr. Cannell's work.
Stephen J. Cannell strikes again. A little bit of Shane Scully's early life is revealed when he is asked to be a pallbearer for the man who raised him from the age of 6. This kind, gentle soul has just committed suicide...or did he?

It is a gripping tale written, although complicated, written with the movie script in mind. It is very easy to visualize. The action is non-stop, but believable with a dramatic ride to the rescue at the end. The scenes on an Indian Reservation are a different site, al
Ed
#9 in the Shane Scully series.

LAPD Sgt Shane Scully, who grew up as an orphan, must revisit his childhood to find out who murdered the kind and charismatic man who became a father to him. Pop is found dead, the victim of an apparently self-inflicted shotgun blast. Shane and his fellow pallbearers don't believe it was a suicide. That leaves murder. Together, the pallbearers embark in pursuit of justice for Pop.
David Tanz
One of his best...love shane scully
Andrew
After a disappointing installment last year, Cannell & Shane Scully are back on track with this novel. This time, Scully has a personal stake in the murder he's investigating, which makes for a much more compelling read. He also isn't put into any truly threatening situations that we know he'll get out of, and his wife Alexa has a little more to do this time around. (Not a lot, but baby steps.)

Hopefully, this will mark a return to form for this series, rather than a momentary recapturing of
Greg
Used to work with Stephen J Cannell Productions on Greatest American Hero, Hardcastle & McCormick and others. Finally jumped into the Shane Scully series with book #9 but a great place to start! Action packed from start to finish. It's an easy read with cover to cover action. I found this book hard to put down and a lot of fun. Characters were well developed, clear and concise. The ending was all tied up neatly a bit too quickly and rather abruptly but otherwise the book was an entertaining ...more
Grey853
Mark
A Shane Sculley novel and as always, I was drawn into the story immediately...Sculley raise in a youth home is asked to be a pallbearer for his father-figure who supposedly killed himself...none of the 6 invited pallbearers think its suicide and the murder mystery commences...we get a lot of Scully's backstory as the investigation ensues...you can tell Cannell's background is series TV, because of quickly we get to the core of the story...always fun and one of his best!!!
Teresa
This is not my usual genre, but I had been wanting to read one of Stephen Cannell's books for a long time
because I had such a high regard for him as a person. The Pallbearers has a very creative storyline, and Stephen Cannell, God rest his soul, was a gifted writer. I didn't really dig the reader, though -- Scott Brick, and I wouldn't want to listen to another of his audio books. Technically, he does a good job, I suppose, but the excessive drama got on my nerves.
Brenda B Birdow
Another good 'Shane Scully' novel as he investigates the suicide of his mentor at the children's home in which he grew up. Scully is joined by the five other pallbearers, who had also lived at the same orphanage, as they attempt to unravel the mysterious death of their beloved friend while restoring his reputation dirtied by missing money supposedly embezzled by the home's director. A good read that can also pull at your heart-strings.
Kristen
Shane Scully gets a reminder of his childhood, which he has distant himself from, when the owner of the group home he grew up in is found dead. All the pieces don't add up to a suicide and Shane, along with the other Pallbearers, try and prove it was a murder and not suicude. This is a page turner with lots of suspense. I hope there will be more books in this series, as I look forward to reading more stories about the Scully's
Debbie Craft

Eh....wasn't very interesting or exciting. I did want to know "who dun it" so I skipped ahead to find out around the middle of the book.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
May 28, 2010 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: outside-the-procedure police mysteries
Shelves: 2010
Cannell's Shane Scully is a favorite of mine. For some good summer reading, grab The Tin Collectors and read all nine novels in this series for that way you can appreciate the character growth of our hero. On its own, The Pallbearers holds up as a mystery; but there is more to appreciate if you read the series. Cannell also does a good job of writing scenes/chapters to keep you turning pages!
Cecelia/Ceil
Another great book in the Shane Scully series. I listened to it on audio. It was read by Scott Brick. I always like the books he reads. However in this one, he sounded a little too whiney or remorseful. I know it was a book about a death of someone he cared about, but I really think the quivery voice got a little old throughout the book. Other than that, another great addition to this series.
Joyce
Cannell's Shane Scully novels read much like his tv shows. They are fast moving and very visual. This time Scully and Alexa are on their way to a Hawaiian vacation when he gets a call telling him that his Foster Father died and he was asked to be a Pallbearer. This, naturally, led the group of Pallbearers to begin to investigate the death. It is entertaining and action filled.
Evyn Charles
The Shane Scully series has been good, always a fun, fast-paced read with interesting characters, stories and background. However, I often wished the author would flesh out his books a little more. Well, he has done it this time! The Pallbearers has a lot more emotional depth than Cannell's previous books taking his writing to a whole new level. Excellent read.
CLM
An entertaining listen - good for a drive, and interesting enough that I ordered book 1 in the series. Primary complaint was that the main character, Shane Scully, was not very likeable and I found one scene in which he physically abused someone he had arrested particularly offensive although I understand his bad temper is part of his makeup.
Donna in Southern Maryland
Another satisfying Shane Scully novel from Cannell. It's like watching another episode of a favorite tv series. We learn more about Shane's awful childhood and the man who helped to keep him on the right road, when he easily could have been lost to a short life, or a life of crime. Good read.
Jennifer Utes
very good story about a man that surfed and helped orphans. He seen many orphans come and go over the years. His death was ruled a suicide, and one of the orphans that grew up and became a investigator; decides to investigate the possiblity of him being murdered. Great book and kept my interest.
Vickie T
Good fast reading mystery. Shane is asked to be a pallbearer at the funeral of the man who ran the home that Shane was raised in. It appears that he had committed suicide but Shane and the other pallbearers who had also been raised in the home have doubts about that and end up investigating.
Dad
Scully is LAPD homicide detective. A lot of the action was in the South Bay where we lived (not PV, but San Pedro, ect.).The Pallbearers were all people who had been reared in the same orphanage, and the victim was the Director of the orphanage. Good action mystery.
  • Suspects
  • The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)
  • Capitol Betrayal: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #18)
  • Bad Faith (Butch Karp #24)
  • Marine One
  • The Sonderberg Case
  • Terminal (Burke, #17)
  • B.O.Q.: An NCIS Special Agent Fran Setliff Novel
  • A Night Too Dark (Kate Shugak, #17)
  • Hollywood Hills (Hollywood Station, #4)
  • Among Thieves
  • The Case of the Lazy Lover
  • Scattered Graves (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #6)
  • Dog Tags
  • Shadow of the Wolf Tree: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #7)
  • Strategic Moves (Stone Barrington, #19)
  • The Capitol Game
  • Jump at the Sun
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 1994.

An Emmy award-winning writer/producer and Chairman of Cannell Studios, Cannell overcame severe dyslexia to become one of television's most prolific writers. In a highly successful career that spans three decades, he created or co-created more than 40 shows, of which he has scripted more than 450 episodes and produced or execu
More about Stephen J. Cannell...
The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1) King Con The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2) The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10) Cold Hit (Shane Scully, #5)