Start by marking “Lost Boys: Why our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them” as Want to Read:
Lost Boys: Why our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them

Lost Boys: Why our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In the first book to help parents truly understand youth violence and stop it before it explodes, national expert Dr. James Garbarino reveals how to identify children who are at risk and offers proven methods to prevent aggressive behavior.
After more than a decade of relentless increase in the urban war zones of large cities, violence by young boys and adolescents is o
Published August 10th 1999 by Free Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Boys

I'm not going to book group and the book wasn't my style. Is this guy really a psychologist? I would have preferred that he just stuck to the interesting studies he cites about the effects of different kinds of parenting and upbringings on children rather than occasionally going off into foggily religious explanations of soul and spiritual development. I may have been a little more sympathetic to this approach if it just didn’t feel quite so much like he was pandering to the “Religious Right.” I ...more
Kristal Cooper
I started listening to this book on the day that there was YET ANOTHER mass shooting in America -- this time, ten dead at a community college in Oregon.

Although fifteen years old, the studies and information inside are just as relevant today and, in many cases, you can see how the author's theories have been well-proven since. Our current national discourse over guns often breaks down along party lines, but this book was written without politics in mind. The studies Garbarino sites range from t
I read this book for a class at MSASS. The author is a developmental psychologist who has worked extensively with boys who have committed acts of great violence, including murder. The first half of the book examines the roots of violence among boys, and the second half suggests possible ways to prevent violence. Very powerful. I found it to be both realistic and hopeful.
Joann Lukasiewicz
Well researched and artfully written, including intimate portrayals of the boys themselves based on extensive interviews and delving into their histories. This book clearly lays out the data on not only what causes boys in the US today to become violent, but also how we can stop this horrible cycle. I was fascinated by the explanation of why mass school shootings have happened mainly in rural areas and smaller schools, contrasted with the urban violence away from schools.

I especially relished t
William Cale (Calico)
Worth reading for just about anyone, with kids or not. It takes a village to raise a child and here are the facts about what can happen when we stop raising and let the world destroy these boys souls.
Keith Randolph Smith
A clear and heartbreaking exploration into the lives of troubled and violent boys. Dr. Garbarino is a psychologist who is experienced in working with these boys. He advocates for understanding them and helping them understand themselves. In helping these boys, we can figure out ways to stop the violence before it happens. Garbarino makes clear that this in not a "them" problem, it is all of our concerns.
Really informative and opened my eyes on how to deal with troubled youth, specifically boys. It's a shame that our solution is just to lock them up, and forget.
Sep 13, 2007 Jordan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Juvenile Delinquency workers, people who want to save their sons from becoming JDs
I had this book for my Juvenile Delinquency class at LVC. I only skimmed through enough to keep up with the class, but it did provide some interesting info on why boys become violent and how to try to stop the vicious cycle that breeds violent children. I'm looking forward to reading the book cover to cover.
I read this for an Adolescent Male Development class. I wasn't as impressed as the professor lead me to believe I would be. I definitely would recommend Raising Cain to anyone raising a young boy. It is a must read. This was good for some preliminary "flip through" data but that was about it.
Erika Schnidrig
I will never forget this book. I came across it in my mothers books when I was very young, and started to read it. This is the book that introduced me to psychology and lit the spark of my undying passion for the field.
May 19, 2008 Alberto rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mariana
The psycological and phisical impact of violence,neglect & abandonment on children's development. Its influence on children adult behavior. Temperament & social factors considered
Melissa I only read 5 pages and decided I wasn't ready for another book like this after just finishing up grad school. maybe later. It seemed to be rather research driven.
Jennifer Majkut
Just added more to my semester of hell!
THis was really interesting and I look forward to utilizing this at work. It solidified many of the practices we use and encouraged me to continue trying!
Sarah A
Sep 24, 2011 Sarah A is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Knew of this book through the Gang Prevention Training at Seattle University where one of the speaker was Dr. James Garbarino himself.
Cassie Meyer
Read for class; pretty interesting look at how social and familial problems can combine and leave children vulnerable.
One of those rare required books that's actually insightful.
Sad, but good intake of what can and does happen...
Every parent of a boy should read this book.
Sep 13, 2007 Andrea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
interesting topic
Aidan Small
Aidan Small marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Lucía added it
Nov 06, 2015
Ali Schroeder
Ali Schroeder marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Meala Cuddus
Meala Cuddus marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Daniela Ramos
Daniela Ramos marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Girls on the Edge: The Four Factors Driving the New Crisis for Girls—Sexual Identity, the Cyberbubble, Obsessions, Environmental Toxins
  • A Fine Young Man
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Born to Rebel: Birth Order, Family Dynamics and Creative Lives
  • Always on: Language in an Online and Mobile World
  • Too Much of a Good Thing: Raising Children of Character in an Indulgent Age
  • Das Scheißleben meines Vaters, das Scheißleben meiner Mutter und meine eigene Scheißjugend
  • The Scientist in the Crib: What Early Learning Tells Us About the Mind