Start by marking “How to Raise and Keep a Dragon” as Want to Read:
How to Raise and Keep a Dragon

How to Raise and Keep a Dragon

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Why keep a dragon? There are many reasons. What else can protect your treasure . . . impress your friends . . . make diamonds out of coal . . . work as a model for coats of arms . . . heat your home? Kids who enjoy whimsy will be delighted by this beautifully illustrated owner's manual for dragon fanciers. It tells about the wide range of different dragons available, the c ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Barron's Educational Series (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How to Raise and Keep a Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Raise and Keep a Dragon

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschDragon's Extraordinary Egg by Debi GlioriDragonology by Dugald A. SteerIf I Had a Dragon by Tom ElleryKing Jack and the Dragon by Peter Bently
Picture Books About Dragons
93rd out of 104 books — 5 voters
Faeries by Brian FroudA Tolkien Bestiary by David DayAfter Man by Dougal DixonThe Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis BorgesFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling
Bestiaries
43rd out of 98 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Ginny_1807
Drago-mania
Imprescindibile guida per chi abbia intenzione di acquistare e allevare un drago senza affidarsi all'improvvisazione, incorrendo in errori che potrebbero rivelarsi incresciosi.
Il libro contiene stupende illustrazioni delle diverse specie e utilissimi consigli:
- sulla scelta della razza e della taglia in base alle proprie possibilità economiche, preferenze estetiche ed esigenze di spazio;
- sul modo migliore per assistere, addestrare e alimentare il cucciolo fin dalla nascita;
- sulla
Samantha Weatherford
This is a great book for teaching the characteristics of a how to book because the topic of dragons is of high interest to many 2-6th graders, especially boys. The book has very realistic pictures, and photograph like sections. Although written about an animal of fantasy, it is written very realisrically. If dragons did truly exist, this book would tell you everything you need to know about owning and raising one. It is great to use in compare and contrast lessons about real how to books. Since ...more
Panagiota
My notes: I really liked this book because it is very creative. I feel that a lot of boys would be interested in this book. It has a lot of diagrams and information on how to raise a dragon. A note to the reader explains that the stereotypical dragons are a time of the past, but dragons are still being breeded and able to interact with humans today. There are five different parts: Should I own a dragon?; Dragon Breeds; Raising the Perfect Dragon; Training your Dragon; and Presenting your Dragon. ...more
Abigail Partis
Sep 28, 2013 Abigail Partis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any dragon lover. Of any age
This book is one of the best books of it's kind, I love dragons and when I got this for Christmas I actually believed everything in it was real. I remember bugging my mum for a 'Mushussu' (One of the dragons in this book) because it that life-like.
I keep finding myself intentionality reading this book, its so detailed and you can ell a lot of work has gone into the book, even my older sister has read it a couple of times!
For me my favourite part of the book is Part 2: Dragon breeds.
Hanne Govaerts
Hoera, ik krijg van mama een Westerse Draak!
Glimmerfee
Nehmen wir einen Augenblick an, dass es Drachen gibt und Menschen in der Lage sind sie sich zu halten wie einen Hund, ein Pferd oder eine Katze. Dieses Buch geht von genau diesem Gedanken aus.
Reichlich bebildert, erklärt dieser Drachenratgeber alles was man über seinen Hausdrachen wissen muss.
Welcher Drache passt zu mir? Wie trainiere ich meinen Drachen? Wie soll das Gehege aussehen? Welche Ausrüstung brauche ich?

Dieses Buch ist sehr kreativ und schön Gestaltet. Für Kinder ebenso interessant
Mips
Wie kent 'dit' toevallig ook:
Een kind in huis met (té) veel fantasie :)
Al vier keer heb ik intussen de volledige check-list 'Mag ik me wel een draak aanschaffen' 'mogen' doorlopen.
Met zeer belangrijke gewetensvragen als :
7. Kan ik mijn draak voorzien van het soort en hoeveelheid voedsel die hij nodig heeft om gezond en gelukkig te zijn?
én
2. Waarom wil ik een draak grootbrengen en verzorgen?
(wees eerlijk -> staat er dan streng bij)
Maar,kuch kuch, ik ben cum laude geslaagd en dus verwachten wij
Harle
I saw this at a book store one day and decided I absolutely had to have it. I still do love dragons, but at the time I was going through a huge dragon phase. Thankfully, I got the book for Christmas.
Great for any imaginative person who carries an imaginary dragon around (hehehe), this book is filled with the information you will need about how to raise and care for it, down to the naming and housing of your special pet. But watch out for the Salamanders!
Tamar
It really got my hopes up that dragons were real. I do believe they exist, but this made me think you really could get one. It is illustrated beautifully, and tells you everything you need to know about raising and keeping your own dragon. I borrowed it from the library, and read it so slowly, which is unlike me. I've read it over 6 times now, and will read it many more times. I think anyone who likes mythical creatures should read this book.
Kat
This book is absolutely an adventure. When I went through an "imaginary dragon phase", I actually believed dragons were real and did exist. I even tried to send a letter to Dragon House Inc. to order one, but sadly the letter was returned. This was an enjoyable book for kids of all ages and just sparks the imagination!
Savannah
What a great book! It's a fiction book (because, you know, dragons) written in a nonfiction fashion. It tells you what kind of dragons are available, where they're from and how best to take care of them. Great for any dragon lover, which I definitely am!
Lorrie
My husband who knows I love dragons gave me this book as a gift. I loved it! It had beautiful illustrations and all kinds of great information on the various breeds in the dragon world. This is just a fantastically fun book and a good read.
Flauschi
Eigentlich ein Bilderbuch über die Züchtung, Haltung und Lizenzen von Drachen, aber wunderschön aufgemacht.
Nicht viel Text, aber vel zum Anschauen. Dennoch eher ein Bilderbuch für größere. Hat mir sehr viel Spaß gemacht
Liz
I thought this book would work for How-to writing, but it doesn't really work. However, it is a great addition to my multi-genre collection.
Luciaperalta
Es una historia genial te habla de los dragones cosa que a mi me encanta todo lo que sea fantasia me gusta en especial este libro.
Cheryl
Jul 20, 2013 Cheryl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cheryl by: Book Rack
Beautifully illustrated and very well written. Definitely a book that will appeal to almost everyone who loves dragons.
Ana
Cute and interesting. The section on the different dragons was very informative, but the rest of the book got a bit repetitive.
Leigh
Fun book that pretends to advise folks on how to care for dragon pets. Great illustrations and interesting text.
Ruth Govaerts
Dit boek is echt wel grappig. Ik wil gerust zo'n lieve draak als huisdier!
Susan Gibson
Beautifully written and illustrated! A must for all dragon lovers!
Renée
My son and I have decided to opt for a miniature version of the Standard Western Dragon but have doubts whether we should go through with it due to our xenophobic cat.
M
M marked it as to-read
Ronelle Stanton
Ronelle Stanton marked it as to-read
Ryna Soonthornsuk
Ryna Soonthornsuk marked it as to-read
Ink Dragon
Ink Dragon marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
  • The Dragons Are Singing Tonight
  • A Practical Guide to Dragons (Practical Guides)
  • It's All Greek to Me
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • Oscar and the Very Hungry Dragon
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • Red Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #1)
  • Riding the Storm (Dragonsdale, #2)
  • Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ologies, #1)
  • The Dragonology Handbook: A Practical Course in Dragons
  • Het ei van oom Trotter
  • Hollow Fields: The Complete Collection (Hollow Fields, #1-3)
  • Cooking With Bones
  • بریسینگر جلد دوم سه گانه میراث کتاب سوم (part 2) (Inheritance, #3)
  • Here There Be Dragons
  • Egyptology (Ologies, #2)
  • The Visual Dictionary of Star Wars, Episode I - The Phantom Menace
  • The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night
Since the early 1980s, Joseph (Joe) Nigg has explored the rich cultural lives of mythical creatures in a variety of styles and formats for readers of all ages. His books have garnered multiple awards, and his current international bestseller, "How to Raise and Keep a Dragon," has been translated into more than twenty languages.

"Griffins, the Phoenix, dragons, unicorns, and other traditional animal
More about Joseph Nigg...
The Book of Dragons & Other Mythical Beasts The Book of Fabulous Beasts: A Treasury from Ancient Times to the Present Wonder Beasts: Tales and Lore of the Phoenix, the Griffin, the Unicorn, and the Dragon Sea Monsters: A Voyage around the World's Most Beguiling Map The Book Of Gryphons