Start by marking “How to Raise and Keep a Dragon” as Want to Read:
How to Raise and Keep a Dragon

How to Raise and Keep a Dragon

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Why keep a dragon? There are many reasons. What else can protect your treasure . . . impress your friends . . . make diamonds out of coal . . . work as a model for coats of arms . . . heat your home? Kids who enjoy whimsy will be delighted by this beautifully illustrated owner's manual for dragon fanciers. It tells about the wide range of different dragons available, the c ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Barron's Educational Series (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How to Raise and Keep a Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Raise and Keep a Dragon

A Tolkien Bestiary by David DayFaeries by Brian FroudFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. RowlingGnomes by Wil HuygenAfter Man by Dougal Dixon
Bestiaries
24th out of 166 books — 77 voters
The Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschDragons Love Tacos by Adam RubinIf I Had a Dragon by Tom ElleryA Dignity of Dragons by Jacqueline K. OgburnThere's No Such Thing as a Dragon by Jack Kent
Picture Books About Dragons
69th out of 127 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Ginny_1807
Mar 26, 2015 Ginny_1807 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: infanzia, alessandro
Drago-mania
Imprescindibile guida per chi abbia intenzione di acquistare e allevare un drago senza affidarsi all'improvvisazione, incorrendo in errori che potrebbero rivelarsi incresciosi.
Il libro contiene stupende illustrazioni delle diverse specie e utilissimi consigli:
- sulla scelta della razza e della taglia in base alle proprie possibilità economiche, preferenze estetiche ed esigenze di spazio;
- sul modo migliore per assistere, addestrare e alimentare il cucciolo fin dalla nascita;
- sulla
Kogiopsis
I picked this book up from the library because, in my current job as a reading tutor at an elementary school, I have a student who pretty much only wants to read about dragons. As it turns out I found another book to fill that hole (Rise of the Earth Dragon), but I took the time to read through this one because hey, I love dragons too.

This book is completely charming. It's styled as a practical guide to dragon ownership, exactly like the kind of book you might find about your first puppy or kitt
Samantha Weatherford
This is a great book for teaching the characteristics of a how to book because the topic of dragons is of high interest to many 2-6th graders, especially boys. The book has very realistic pictures, and photograph like sections. Although written about an animal of fantasy, it is written very realisrically. If dragons did truly exist, this book would tell you everything you need to know about owning and raising one. It is great to use in compare and contrast lessons about real how to books. Since ...more
Panagiota
Nov 12, 2008 Panagiota rated it it was amazing
My notes: I really liked this book because it is very creative. I feel that a lot of boys would be interested in this book. It has a lot of diagrams and information on how to raise a dragon. A note to the reader explains that the stereotypical dragons are a time of the past, but dragons are still being breeded and able to interact with humans today. There are five different parts: Should I own a dragon?; Dragon Breeds; Raising the Perfect Dragon; Training your Dragon; and Presenting your Dragon. ...more
Ana
Oct 27, 2010 Ana rated it liked it
Cute and interesting. The section on the different dragons was very informative, but the rest of the book got a bit repetitive.
Leigh
Fun book that pretends to advise folks on how to care for dragon pets. Great illustrations and interesting text.
Susan Gibson
May 13, 2013 Susan Gibson rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Beautifully written and illustrated! A must for all dragon lovers!
Hanne Govaerts
Aug 30, 2008 Hanne Govaerts rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kinderen-jeugd
Hoera, ik krijg van mama een Westerse Draak!
Cassandra
Jun 14, 2013 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nehmen wir einen Augenblick an, dass es Drachen gibt und Menschen in der Lage sind sie sich zu halten wie einen Hund, ein Pferd oder eine Katze. Dieses Buch geht von genau diesem Gedanken aus.
Reichlich bebildert, erklärt dieser Drachenratgeber alles was man über seinen Hausdrachen wissen muss.
Welcher Drache passt zu mir? Wie trainiere ich meinen Drachen? Wie soll das Gehege aussehen? Welche Ausrüstung brauche ich?

Dieses Buch ist sehr kreativ und schön Gestaltet. Für Kinder ebenso interessant
Nicole
Mar 08, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing
i read this book multiple times in elementary. having a perpetual fascination with the idea of dragons this book was perfect. i have many fond memories of the contents of this book, and will never forget it. this book is perfect for in my opinion anyone who wants to know about dragons, it fits well with the common lore and deserves a place of fame among dragon books.
Mips
Aug 28, 2008 Mips rated it really liked it
Wie kent 'dit' toevallig ook:
Een kind in huis met (té) veel fantasie :)
Al vier keer heb ik intussen de volledige check-list 'Mag ik me wel een draak aanschaffen' 'mogen' doorlopen.
Met zeer belangrijke gewetensvragen als :
7. Kan ik mijn draak voorzien van het soort en hoeveelheid voedsel die hij nodig heeft om gezond en gelukkig te zijn?
én
2. Waarom wil ik een draak grootbrengen en verzorgen?
(wees eerlijk -> staat er dan streng bij)
Maar,kuch kuch, ik ben cum laude geslaagd en dus verwachten wij
Jeroen
May 06, 2016 Jeroen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in my closet some time back. Decided to read it again for the nostalgia. How to Raise and Keep a Dragon has very well drawn illustrations and enjoyable content. The writing wasn't that good imo (I read the Dutch translation of this book), but this is a book for kids so that doesn't really matter much. The book is written like everything is real, like dragons are real, but is in fact fiction (duh).

I remember finding this book in a bookstore back when I was a kid, and getting hoo
John Boswell
Sep 15, 2015 John Boswell rated it it was amazing
We are getting a Dragon, Sammy and Clara and I, now that we know how to take care of it
Harle
Aug 13, 2011 Harle rated it it was amazing
I saw this at a book store one day and decided I absolutely had to have it. I still do love dragons, but at the time I was going through a huge dragon phase. Thankfully, I got the book for Christmas.
Great for any imaginative person who carries an imaginary dragon around (hehehe), this book is filled with the information you will need about how to raise and care for it, down to the naming and housing of your special pet. But watch out for the Salamanders!
Tamar
Apr 30, 2012 Tamar rated it it was amazing
It really got my hopes up that dragons were real. I do believe they exist, but this made me think you really could get one. It is illustrated beautifully, and tells you everything you need to know about raising and keeping your own dragon. I borrowed it from the library, and read it so slowly, which is unlike me. I've read it over 6 times now, and will read it many more times. I think anyone who likes mythical creatures should read this book.
Kat
Nov 12, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely an adventure. When I went through an "imaginary dragon phase", I actually believed dragons were real and did exist. I even tried to send a letter to Dragon House Inc. to order one, but sadly the letter was returned. This was an enjoyable book for kids of all ages and just sparks the imagination!
Savannah
What a great book! It's a fiction book (because, you know, dragons) written in a nonfiction fashion. It tells you what kind of dragons are available, where they're from and how best to take care of them. Great for any dragon lover, which I definitely am!
Lorrie
Jan 27, 2013 Lorrie rated it it was amazing
My husband who knows I love dragons gave me this book as a gift. I loved it! It had beautiful illustrations and all kinds of great information on the various breeds in the dragon world. This is just a fantastically fun book and a good read.
Flauschi
Feb 20, 2013 Flauschi rated it really liked it
Eigentlich ein Bilderbuch über die Züchtung, Haltung und Lizenzen von Drachen, aber wunderschön aufgemacht.
Nicht viel Text, aber vel zum Anschauen. Dennoch eher ein Bilderbuch für größere. Hat mir sehr viel Spaß gemacht
Liz
Aug 31, 2010 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
I thought this book would work for How-to writing, but it doesn't really work. However, it is a great addition to my multi-genre collection.
Luciaperalta
Feb 25, 2012 Luciaperalta rated it it was amazing
Es una historia genial te habla de los dragones cosa que a mi me encanta todo lo que sea fantasia me gusta en especial este libro.
Cheryl
Jul 20, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cheryl by: Book Rack
Beautifully illustrated and very well written. Definitely a book that will appeal to almost everyone who loves dragons.
Ruth Govaerts
Nov 11, 2008 Ruth Govaerts rated it really liked it
Dit boek is echt wel grappig. Ik wil gerust zo'n lieve draak als huisdier!
Renée
Jan 06, 2014 Renée rated it it was amazing
My son and I have decided to opt for a miniature version of the Standard Western Dragon but have doubts whether we should go through with it due to our xenophobic cat.
Lori Posten
Lori Posten marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Tianna Herlihy
Tianna Herlihy marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Susan Lute
Susan Lute rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Kailey
Kailey marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Emery
Emery rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
  • The Dragons are Singing Tonight
  • Get Well, Good Knight
  • A Practical Guide to Dragons
  • It's All Greek to Me
  • Oscar and the Very Hungry Dragon
  • Riding the Storm (Dragonsdale, #2)
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ologies, #1)
  • بریسینگر جلد دوم سه گانه میراث کتاب سوم (part 2) (Inheritance, #3)
  • Het ei van oom Trotter
  • Morgen, Findus, wird's was geben
  • How to Save Your Tail*:
  • The Velvet Chair (Jewel Heiss #2)
  • Moo Hoo
  • Double Death: The True Story of Pryce Lewis, the Civil War's Most Daring Spy
  • Iep!
  • Het geheim van Lena Lijstje
  • 813 / Les Trois Crimes d'Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #4.1)
Since the early 1980s, Joseph (Joe) Nigg has explored the rich cultural lives of mythical creatures in a variety of styles and formats for readers of all ages. His books have garnered multiple awards, and his current international bestseller, "How to Raise and Keep a Dragon," has been translated into more than twenty languages.

"Griffins, the Phoenix, dragons, unicorns, and other traditional animal
More about Joseph Nigg...