All the Queen's Men (John Medina #2)

All the Queen's Men (CIA's Spies #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  5,455 ratings  ·  175 reviews
In six New York Times bestsellers, including her smashing hardcover debut Now You See Her, Linda Howard has seamlessly melded thrilling sensuality and heart-pounding dramatic tension. Now she brings back the elusive hero who first appeared in her acclaimed page-turner Kill and Tell -- in a new blockbuster that is part suspense, part passion, and pure Linda Howard.
No one...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Gallery Books

Lady Heather

1994 Iran

An American covert 5 person team is in place to blow up a manufacturing facility that was developing and supplying Anthrax. The team was made up of Sayyed (a native Iranian who was now an American citizen, a tough, wiry man in his late forties), Hadi Santana who was of Arabic and Mexican heritage, but an American. Husband and wife - Dallas & Niema Burcock (Dallas as former SEAL and contractor for the CIA, and Niema an electronics specialist), and their leader Darren Tucker.
Sayyed,...more
Arch
Diana
Audiobook narrated by Kate Forbes (unabridged), Megan Gallagher (abridged)

I’ve often said that I came to romance through the door marked romantic suspense and All the Queen’s Men is that door. Back in 1998, I picked up the paperback on a mass-market table at a mall bookstore. I’d been reading a lot of man thrillers and my joy knew no bounds as I sat in the food court falling in love with my new discovery. A thriller with romance, a hero who falls hard when he zeroes in on his mate…and sex!!! Do...more
Davina D.
First thing's first this was a DNF for me, but I read almost to the end so I feel qualified to give this review.

I read KISS ME WHILE I SLEEP (book # 3 in the John Medina series) before reading this book, ALL THE QUEEN'S MEN (book # 2 in the same series), and probably that was a bad idea or probably Linda Howard shouldn't have recycled the plot from ALL THE QUEEN'S MEN into K M W I S. What should have been an exciting and thrilling read on international espionage turned out to be a rather dull,...more
Jacqueline
This book was okay but not one of my favorites from LH. I didn't feel that the relationship was as satisfying as it could have been. I did feel the desperation that John felt for Niema and some of the sex scenes were pretty intense and hot. The suspense part was okay but I didn't like that he put her in a dangerous situation just to spend time with her.

The ending was unsatisfying for a romance. (view spoiler)...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; A-

Kate Forbes did a great job narrating this Linda Howard story. Of all the books I've read by this author, this one has the lowest key romance thread, although its definitely there.
I enjoyed this book in audio format much more than I recall enjoying it when I read it a few years ago. Forbes did a good job in the various voices and made the tension and suspense fairly believable.

Whenever I read a spy story it makes me realize how much I would hate to live in that world since I...more
Carrie
A 3 star read in print (read 2009), I bumped this up one star on audio. In print I remember struggling to get into the book after the exciting first part. I liked it, but wasn't wowed by it. On audio, narrated by Kate Forbes I found myself enjoying all the details and never getting bored. Forbes does an excellent job with both the male and female voices. Her style is to change tone and inflection without trying to make her voice sound masculine. It mostly works and I rarely had trouble following...more
Mareli
Who is John Medina? I read a lot about this character and I was curious. He is this strong and silent hero/agent kind of man but in the end he's tender and sweet like no other (I'd say he is a "cuore di panna" but I couldn't find a way to translate this expression without going into cholesterol and other unpleasant things LOL).

JOhn Medina meets Niema Burdock in Iran, during a mission that will end with Niema's husband death. He feels guilty because in a way he already loves her and he thinks to...more
Rachel Amphlett
4.5 out of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this novel - a thriller with just the right amount of romantic suspense to ensure that the story isn't overshadowed by the relationship aspects of the plot.

All the Queen's Men is a loose sequel to Kill & Thrill, the first in Howard's CIA Spies series, but I reckon if you picked this up as a separate read, you'd be fine. The plot line follows Nyema and John, two CIA operatives with a tragic history, who are thrown together again to thwart the plans of a Fren...more
LaFleurBleue
This book was very different from the previous one in the series. The previous had an inner cuteness resulting from the very normality of key characters. This one definitely lost all pretense of normality and cuteness.
What I liked is how John took care of Niema and remained obsessed by her over a 5-year period. However it did not seem consistent in terms of behavior to his decision of dragging her back to fieldwork for a mission, that could be dangerous like all field ones.
I liked the way they...more
Samantha
LJ
ALL THE QUEEN'S MEN - VG
Howard, Linda - 2nd in John Medina series

CIA agent John Medina and electronics expert Niema Burdock share a violent past: the two were part of a covert operation that went tragically wrong, resulting in the death of several people. Now, five years later, their paths cross again and John, whose love for Niema has only grown over time, is determined to keep her in his life for good. Having spent the intervening five years living a solitary, staid existence--due to feelings...more
Alicia
Another of my favorites by the incomparable Linda Howard. She has more books on my 5 stars shelf than any other romance author, I swear. This story is about John Medina, the HOT, but supercool CIA agent that we first met in Kill and Tell. He falls for Niema, a brilliant and beautiful woman who works at developing superspy stuff for the CIA. They go on a mission together in France where they fall in love while engaging in superspy covert action. It's fast paced and action packed, but we never los...more
Robin
Five years ago, CIA Agent John Medina and Communications Expert Niema Burdock were on a mission in Iran that went terribly wrong, resulting in the death of colleagues, including Niema's husband. Now they meet again when John needs Niema for another mission. This time he wants Niema to go undercover and bug the home of a french arms dealer. After vowing to never go into the field again, Niema realizes she is ready for some excitement. Getting back into the espionage game may be part of that excit...more
Maira
Not your usual Linda Howard novel which are always compelling in their suspense and mystery. This is a 'mission impossible/ James Bond' type novel, still well written and would have received a better rating from me if it wasn't for the fact that there are already so many of these types of novels out there. Besides Howard has set herself such a high standard with all her previous writing that changing her M.O didn't enable her to rise up to the challenge. Please don't let this dissuade you from r...more
Adriana Fogaça
John Medina 02
Atração Implacável
Linda Howard
Bertrand
2008

Porque o que é bom dura tão pouco?

Amo os livros da Linda, sempre são tão emocionantes.

Bem, já era fã do John Medina quando li o primeiro livro da trilogia, Revelações, mas agora, tô completamente apaixonada. O cara é o meu fim.

Simplesmente adoro personagens que a autora consegue demostrar toda sua vulnerabilidade, seus pecados e deixa-los menos heróis e muito mais humanos, com defeitos e erros.

John é assim, está longe de ser perfeito. Não...more
Angela Wade
How is it possible that the same woman who wrote the ridiculous "Kill and Tell" wrote this book, too? "All The Queen's Men" is a top-notch spy thriller and has quickly become a favorite in that genre (second only to the Ice series). If you've ever read any of Howard's other books and were unimpressed, give this one a try. I finally understand her popularity!
Egonce Gonce
I read this book 2 times...in less than a year. It's a hot, suspenseful read.
Stacy
One of my favorite authors. Hasn't had a bad book yet.
Tammy Walton Grant
Great book -- where do I get my own John Medina?
Brenda Bradshaw
This and KILL & TELL - golden!
Emily
Niema is a CIA operative on assignment in the Middle East with her husband, Dallas, also a CIA operative. They have only been married a short time, and Niema is devastated when the job goes awry and Dallas is killed. Darrell Tucker, aka John Medina, also a Company man, helps her get out of the country safely. Five years later, Medina is still unable to get Niema out of his mind, so when he has the opportunity to bring her in on a job, he snatches it. Niema has been playing it safe these last fiv...more
Jemma Gutierrez
Just a quick Question: why is the series called John Medina when this is the only book where John was the main character and it's not even the first installment in the series?

Yeah..If anyone can explain, it would be greatly appreciated. I mean that...

So All the Queen's Men is a fun read. I have read a lot of Linda Howard book and i have read better than this.

Don't get me wrong, I like this book too. The dialogues are interesting, the characters are great too, the sex... ok the sex here is the b...more
Darcy
This book was so much fun, I love a good spy thriller and this one had a great twist. John Medina is back and this time around we get to know him better, learn his history and some of what makes him tick as a man. I found it interesting to see while he is one of the most successful spies around he still yearned for what "normal" people want, love and trust and was even jealous when one of his colleagues had found that.

When we fast forward in the story to present day we see John's guilt over a p...more
Fanny Roswita Ria
Wow..wow..wow..wow.. Ini novel yg alurnya bener2 sistematis dan luar biasa penggambaran emosi Niema oleh Linda Howard. Sebenarnya kalo udh novel yg bergenre "CSI-FBI-SEAL-IRA" dkk itu kebanyakan gw baca longkap tp ini dr awal sampai akhir gw baca dg seksama lho. Krn bagi gw, ceritanya hanya diawal&akhir saja yg lumayan tegang. Ditengah2 cerita malah mengalir spt air sungai..tenang&lambat.

Niema Burdock, seorang agen CIA, yg ditinggal mati oleh Dallas Burdock diusia pernikahan mereka yg ba...more
Kathy Anne
John met Niema & her hubby on a Special Ops assignment.There was much trauma there and he had to get her out and get her home,which he did but he didn`t go with her because he felt guilty about her husband getting killed there and thinking she was blaming him.He just didn`t plan on thinking and dreaming about her for the next 5 yrs till they met again.Once he saw her again though he never let up making her his.
His feelings were he had given her plenty of time to get together with another guy...more
Monique Atgood
This is an older Howard novel, a spy suspense romance genre.

SYNOPSIS:
No major spoilers, just the general story outline.
The novel opens with a heart wrenching scene where the heroine loses her new spouse. The event sours her taste for adventure and field work. Cut to 5 years later. The man who ordered her husband to kill himself is still drawn to the lovely young widow. A bumbling attempt at matchmaking by his superior ends up with the heroine being assigned to him for a one shot only field job.

S...more
Yulia Anggraini
semangat 45 untuk punya,tp dah dtangan jd ogah2an bacax cz mikir c niema bakal seperti lily d kiss me g y...suram bin muram cz suamix meninggal saat melaksanakan misix,padahal mereka baru menikah selama 3bulan...

sempat mikir juga,ap niema menyalahkan john dan menghindarix klo seandaix mereka bertemu lagi..atw apakah niema menyalahkan dirix sendiri karna mnyebabkan kematian dallas...

tp untungx g... :)
niema tidak pernah menyalahkn john...bahkan dy berterima kasih pada john krna telah menyelamatkan...more
Ana T.
I was somewhat surprised when I realised that although I've read plenty of Howard books in the past this is the first one that I am reviewing. And while I have loved many of her books (Open Season, After The Night, Dream Man, etc) I found this one to be just an average read... I'm not sure if it's me or Howard but since I have at least two more of hers in the TBR pile I sure hope I like them better.

Five years ago Darrell Tucker (also known as John Medina) led a mission in Iran that saw one of h...more
Linda Howard Book...: All the Queen's Men- July 2012 Group Read 64 38 Jan 30, 2013 10:06PM
What makes John Medina so special? 9 40 Mar 13, 2012 09:16AM
Favorite scene in "All the Queen's Men"? 2 31 Aug 26, 2011 04:39AM
  • Bodyguard
  • Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)
  • Ice Blue (Ice, #3)
  • Out Of Control (McClouds & Friends #3)
  • Bait
  • Shadow Dance
  • Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard, #5)
  • Crazy Wild (Steele Street, #3)

Linda S. Howington was born on August 3, 1950 in Alabama, United States. She began to write at nine years old, and wrote for twenty years for her own enjoyment. She worked at a trucking company where she met her husband, and then decided to try and get her work published in 1980. [1:] Her first work was publishe...more
More about Linda Howard...
Mr. Perfect After the Night Dream Man Open Season Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)