Start by marking “No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross” as Want to Read:
No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross

No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross

4.4  ·  Rating Details ·  3,747 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
The cross.

It rests on the time line of history. Like a compelling diamond ...

Its tragedy summons all the sufferers ...

Its absurdity attracts all cynics ...

Its hope lures all searchers.

Far more than a gold-plated symbol of religious belief, the cross is the centerpiece of the Christian faith -- the meeting place of time and eternity. Where God and man encounter each other.

M
Published February 12th 2004 by W Publishing Group (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about No Wonder They Call Him the Savior, please sign up.

Brenda Williamson This little book changed my life forever. It changed my understanding of everything that I had ever believed about Jesus. I would recommend this book…moreThis little book changed my life forever. It changed my understanding of everything that I had ever believed about Jesus. I would recommend this book to anyone who feels unworthy of the love of Christ. His radical love for you will in turn, change your affections. I read this book many years ago, following the end of a 22 year marriage. I was never the same after reading this little book. Prior to reading it, I prayed to die. Silly now, but not so silly at the time.(less)

Jerry
Mar 29, 2016 Jerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Max Lucado hits it out of the park once again!
Shelley
Nov 10, 2012 Shelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No wonder they call Him Savior.-The Title says so much about the Man and How much He endured for all.
This book tells the story of how much love Jesus gave those that despised Him and wanted to Crucify Him.
A young man , a Seminary student asks the author, What really matters in life and the answer is The Cross,
This books tell the story of a man named Jesus, who goes from being an assuming carpenter, to The Cross and Showing humility
all the way and The book does an awesome job by, taking each stat
Jennifer Radtke
This is a re-release of the book. I had never read it before. I really enjoy Max Lucado and decided to give it a walk through. Max Lucado wrote the original in Brazil, specifically Rio de Janeiro.

The book is based on the cry, "Don't give me religion, give me what matters." His response is that Jesus was killed, buried and resurrected, that part that matters is the cross. That windy "day when the kingdom of death was repossessed and hope took up the payments." In essence the book is a dissection
Randy Alcorn
Sep 10, 2013 Randy Alcorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-life
In 1986 my publisher sent me a prelease copy of Max Lucado’s No Wonder They Call Him the Savior. The book took my breath away. Christ-centered, Bible-affirming, warm, practical and beautifully written—what more could a reader ask for? God touched my heart through that book and I knew it was something very special. In the decades since, tens of millions have discovered Max Lucado, and God has used his books to touch deeply people of many tribes, nations and languages. I celebrate Max’s 25 years o ...more
Lindsay
This is my favorite Max Lucado book. I love the way he writes and relives the Passion Story, especially the chapter of one-word sentences, "Alive!" That particular chapter really stands out. This book is perfect to read during the season of Lent, before Easter.
Kathryn Jones
Sep 15, 2008 Kathryn Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The content of this book was great. I didn't always feel like his writing flowed from one chapter to another. More like a bunch of short stories from chapter to chapter. But, it was still very meaningful and I enjoyed it.
Ronald Melone
May 01, 2008 Ronald Melone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Each chapter is short and each chapter is profound. My copy is worn out because I continue to go to it after many years.
Craig
Nov 30, 2008 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucado will make you feel like you were an eyewitness at the cross. Powerful, beautiful book.
Ellie Gesulgon
Jun 18, 2013 Ellie Gesulgon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me realize God's love in its truest sense. It made me appreciate the cross more. :)
Daniel
Oct 28, 2011 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reminder of why I so love Jesus!
Lee Harmon
Max Lucado was asked by an acquaintance in a coffee house about his faith. "What is it that matters?" the man asked. "Skip the periphery. Go to the essence. Tell me the part that matters." Years later, the answer had solidified for Lucado. The cross of Calvary. That's the essence. "If the account of the cross is true, it's history's hinge. ... If not, it's history's hoax."

This book, then, is a search for the meaning of the cross. Special attention is given to the little details of the Golgotha s
Kevin Sorensen
I'll start with a bit of a disclaimer: This is the first full-length book by Lucado I've read. I've read several shorts. I've received lots of "freebies" in the mail at church (with the hope by the marketers that we'd buy 100s of these for give-aways) for Mother's Day and Father's Day and Easter. I also received this via BookSneeze.com as an ebook, one of the first I've ever read "cover to cover" in this format (I used Nook for Mac).

All in all, it was a pleasant experience and a pleasant read. I
Mark
Sep 29, 2007 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moms
Is it me or is it a little bit embarassing to admith that you've read Max Lucado books? It's not that he's a bad writer. It just seems like he's always got some new book out that's on display at Christian bookstores and he seems like the kind of writer that moms like. Well, anyway, when I first started taking my faith seriously I thought I should read some Christian books. This was the only one I had, so I read it. It was really good. I think I would still say it was good. I re-read it a few yea ...more
Nikole Hahn
Oct 17, 2011 Nikole Hahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminds me of a Snuggie.

You slip your arms into the sleeves and let the love wrap around you to ward off the chill of anger and unforgivness. It’s written in typical Max Lucado style—the master story teller telling the tale of the cross in a language we can all understand. While I didn’t care for the gun comment on page 12 because it smelled political, the rest of the book won me with its rich descriptions and warmth. I give this book four stars.

It’s not very deep or complicated. It ha
Deb
Part one is devoted the words of Jesus on the cross. I used these chapters in tandem with my Kindle Bible, and inserted some notes from Lucado's book for future reference. Lucado uses scripture, stories, and real life experiences to bring the Bible into focus for our everyday life.

The remaining chapters are devoted to what comes next... What happened after Jesus was taken down from the cross? What did the apostles do next? What does the cross mean for each of us?

"[N]ever were those arms opened
Kyle
Each chapter was nice and short and had it's own story.

To me, this was a good book. Max leads you in the drama of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I think this is a book that every Christian should read, or a non-Christian that wants to get closer to God. For some people, this book may be hard to put down, but it is a fast read since the chapters are short as well as the book. This is the first Max Lucado book I have read. At some point, I'd like to read more of his books.

I received
The Book Man
Feb 14, 2015 The Book Man rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“He is the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, and the Word of Life. More than ever He is the Morning Star, the Horn of Salvation, and the Prince of Peace.”

“TAKE ME HOME
Yes, take me Home.
Take this prince to his King.
Take this son to his Father.
Take this pilgrim to his Home.
(He desires a rest)”

“Quit trying to quench your own guilt. You can’t do it. There’s no way. Not with a bottle of whiskey or perfect Sunday school attendance. Sorry. I don’t care how bad you are. You can’t be bad enough to forget
Josh Miller
Apr 02, 2013 Josh Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Lucado's pithy Biblical insight into deep truths. You cannot read his work without it touching your heart. If you are looking for "head knowledge" you will be disappointed. If you are looking for that which moves the heart, pick up this book and enjoy the ride.

The more I know Christ, the more I realize He wants our hearts, not just our heads. This book is an excellent signpost to many of the words, the people, and the events surrounding that last week of Christ.

I highly recommend this boo
Deborah
Feb 06, 2013 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
Max Lucado has a writing style that really engages his readers. His simple prose, aneccdotes, and way of making one feel as if they're in the story too, makes it difficult to put his books down. This particular book truly does chronicle the cross. He writes from several perspectives, including various people that were there at the time. You can't help but put this book down at the end and see Christ's death and resurrection in a clearer purer and different way than ever before.
Babs
Jan 08, 2015 Babs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one sitting then read it again a few days later. I recommended this book to everyone I came in contact with and still do. If you ever wondered why we call Him the Savior, read this book written by a man who discovered the answer. You don't have to have a; degree in the Divine to understand; you don't even have to come with an open mind or heart. I don't think anyone can walk away from this book unchanged....one way or the other.
Neil Geisel
Mar 07, 2014 Neil Geisel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This would be a classic. It is timeless. Max Lucado's style of writing is artistic and creates the scene very eloquently. The reader can almost relive each moment and empathize with the characters who walked these events written about in the Bible. The book and it's chronicles about Christ, the cross, and the events that make-up the greatest love stories of all time, teaches and inspires. It was a great read.
Sharyn
Feb 12, 2009 Sharyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a closer view of Jesus
Shelves: own-this-book
this book was my introduction to Max's writing. I chose it to be the devotional book for our monthly Women's mission group for the year 2000, so this particular cover was not the cover of the book I bought.
After reading this book ( many times) I became hooked on Max. Then he was putting out books faster than I could afford them and unfortunately they were not available at my library.
Cashie
Jul 27, 2013 Cashie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though Lucado takes some imaginative liberties that aren't found in Scripture, he has good lessons to teach in the book. Take it with a grain of salt, but there are good morals there.
Sturczer Ioan Alfred
worth to spend time reading this book ,short captured, but very profound in Jesus last hour's spend with decibels and you to )))
James Kim
Apr 16, 2014 James Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Read this book again as I have been preparing for Easter. This is one of my favorite Lucado books. It's short but content is excellent.
Tim Lent
Sep 27, 2012 Tim Lent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I use to read christian books and this one was clearly my all time favorite.
Melissa
Apr 02, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple, thought provoking, inspirational, classic.
Lindsey Doolan
The Thomas Kinkade of Christian authors. Sickly-sweet.
Rita
Mar 21, 2015 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoy the author's writing style.
Dave Johnson
really disappointed by this. it's a shame, because i really wanted to like it, and my hunger for the subject matter, i thought, wouldve put this in a rosier light. this is my first introduction to Lucado, and...not a fan.

the thing about this is that it isnt bad. he's not a horrible writer. he does have some skill and talent, and that does come through. but the biggest problem is that, first of all, this title is somewhat misleading. when i read the title, i assumed that it would be a chronicle o
  • Loving God
  • Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find?
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living it Is Another
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict
  • Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough: A Guide to Nine Biblical Fasts
  • Your God is Too Safe
  • Becoming a Woman of Excellence
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...

“If it is true that a picture paints a thousand words, then there was a Roman centurion who got a dictionary full. All he did was see Jesus suffer. He never heard him preach or saw him heal or followed him through the crowds. He never witnessed him still the wind; he only witnessed the way he died. But that was all it took to cause this weather-worn soldier to take a giant step in faith. “Surely this was a righteous man.”1 That says a lot, doesn’t it? It says the rubber of faith meets the road of reality under hardship. It says the trueness of one’s belief is revealed in pain. Genuineness and character are unveiled in misfortune. Faith is at its best, not in three-piece suits on Sunday mornings or at V.B.S. on summer days, but at hospital bedsides, cancer wards, and cemeteries. Maybe that’s what moved this old, crusty soldier. Serenity in suffering is a stirring testimony. Anybody can preach a sermon on a mount surrounded by daisies. But only one with a gut full of faith can live a sermon on a mountain of pain.” 4 likes
“Anybody can preach a sermon on a mount surrounded by daisies. But only one with a gut full of faith can live a sermon on a mountain of pain.” 4 likes