Start by marking “In the Grip of Grace” as Want to Read:
In the Grip of Grace

In the Grip of Grace

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  8,092 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
Get caught!

Life is full of fumbles and stumbles. Fraught with opportunities to make mistakes, occasions to feel guilty, and the drive to "do it yourself." The pressure to be self-sufficient is high, but it isn't the life God offers.

The way of the world will direct you to try harder and work smarter so that you can take care of yourself and even make yourself successful. Bu
Published August 6th 1996 by W Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about In the Grip of Grace, please sign up.

Geeske Huttenga https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksea...
Check the link above. This is with the very specific combination "Do not be afraid", but it is imaginable that the same command is phrased differently in different parts of the Bible. Phrasing also differs per translation.

You're right, it's not in every book, but in many nonetheless!

In any case the main point stands: God would love for us not to be afraid.(less)

Penny
Aug 07, 2012 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Lucado book.

"When everything was hopeless, Abraham believed anyway, deciding to live NOT on the basis of what he SAW he COULDN'T do, but on what God SAID he WOULD do! Abraham decided to trust the PROMISE rather than focus on the problems!!!'

Two truths about GRACE to take into battle:

1. God still claims you. ****IF your sin were too great for HIs grace, He never would've saved you in the 1st place!!
2. God still guides you. ***There is NEVER a point at which you are LESS saved than
Ki Goff
Feb 24, 2009 Ki Goff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never know how to rate a Lucado. It was a great book. Lighter on the doctrine, and heavy on the fluff, but man! Great fluff. The kind of fluff that really attaches the doctrine to your heart. Nice.

And I guess it can't be heavy all the time.
LeighAnne
Aug 22, 2011 LeighAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
A wonderful picture of grace and our own inability to save ourselves. A wonderful tool for any new Christian and a great reminder for the mature Christian. The only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars is the author's use of the Message as his translation in spots. I originally checked it out from the library, but bought my own copy so I can white out all those quotes and replace them with a more accurate translation.
Jo
Jul 27, 2010 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I needed this... I listened to it - two and half times... Beautiful description of Grace... Thank you for the Atonement!!!
Lauren
Jun 26, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In college, I took a "Sociology of Murder" class with Dr. Ron Homles. Dr. Holmes was one of the profilers that worked on Ted Bundy's case (Ted had his home phone number, he said. "Honey, Ted Bundy's on the phone...") While Dr. Holmes was passing out our tests one day, he mentioned that he is a Christian and that Ted Bundy - just before he died - became a Chrisitan also and asked God for forgiveness of his sins. After a moment of stunned silence from the students (now thinking back, the whole top ...more
Álex Oliva
Sep 02, 2016 Álex Oliva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Álex by: Marcos González
Entender el concepto de Gracia, lo que es, lo que significa y lo provoca en nosotros en muy sencillo de entender; sin embargo, cuando tratamos de asimilarla para aplicarla en nuestra vida cotidiana todo se vuelve muchísimo más complejo.

En palabras sencillas, Gracia es el lenguaje de Dios, y el motor de otros rasgos de su personalidad y de sus actos; por lo tanto, deberíamos, sus hijos, movernos en Gracia. El problema es que somos víctimas y victimarios del mundo caído en des-gracia y nos cuueees
Lance Lumley
May 24, 2016 Lance Lumley rated it liked it
I read this book many years a go as part of a Youth Bible Study that I was a co-leader in, and read it again some time later. I got rid or lost my copy and found this copy at a book sale and decided to read the book again. I am not a huge Lucado fan, but enjoy this book dealing with the Book of Romans. Once again I used the book as a form of a devotional while going through the book of Romans, and enjoyed reconnecting with the book, from Lucado's illustrations to his simple summary of the verses ...more
Mar 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Lucado book. One of the reasons is the parable of the river. Very few times in this life do you read something that forces you to look at yourself and really realize what kind of person you are. Max Lucado has that ability and he uses plain language and regular situations to do it.
Jenny
Aug 20, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book it's inspiring and well written. I loved how he used everyday experiences to show how God has us in his hands.
I highly recommend it.
Stephanie
Mar 08, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful explanation about grace... I didn't fully comprehend what grace truly was until in my 30's. Phenomenal book.
Stanley
Max Lucado walks through the book of Romans. Of note: check out the Parable of the River he uses to open the book.
Lenita Sheridan
Jun 23, 2017 Lenita Sheridan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Good Book for Father's Day

This book took me a week to read, which is good at the rate I read. Sometimes I took breaks between chapters. I liked the first part of the book better. With the exception of the conclusion, it stayed more on the topic of grace. I liked the parable of the river at the beginning and Lucado's references to it throughout the first of the book and in the conclusion.

One thing I did like about the latter chapters was how Lucado tied each section to a bible verse or passage,
Darlene
Jul 13, 2017 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books about grace. This was one of the best I've read in a while. Clean, articulate, great stories. So many reminders of why I serve the God I do. Grace.
Jimmie
May 20, 2017 Jimmie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed!
Lisbet Sumcad
Mar 21, 2017 Lisbet Sumcad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, my understanding of God's grace grew deeper. The analogies used in the book is simple, comprehensive and convicting. I strongly recommend this book.
MHA Bookclub
Mar 15, 2017 MHA Bookclub marked it as spiritual  ·  review of another edition
Shelf 2
Perry Martin
Sep 02, 2014 Perry Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ben Holland reads Thomas-Nelson's  new extended release of Max Lucado's study of Romans and Gods overwhelming Grace toward us. Why listen to a book some ask, this book is an Excelent example of why audiobooks are so enjoyable. Ben Holland expresses every word with a fullness and passion usually reserved for an author or public speaker. This takes the written word to another level.

God's Grace for us is explained in several parables and stories by Max Lucado. This is the first of his books I have
Virginia
I first picked this book up years ago, and liked what I read, but put it down and then never finished it. Lately I'd been feeling out of sync in my faith life and decided to pick it up again. This book is Max Lucado's treatment and description of the book of Romans and a full lesson on what grace is. Lucado starts with a parable he wrote that describes 4 brothers who, against their father's warning, get intrigued by a great river and end up being caught up in it and carried far away from their h ...more
Vanessa
Sep 15, 2013 Vanessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks taking a break from Bible-it will make you want to return to the Holy Bible
Recommended to Vanessa by: First Lady Lillian Ojeda-a Powerful Woman of God
This book took me a long time to read for several reasons, some personal, some not. I was first attracted to the challenge questions for each chapter in the book. They were functional at first and then became over bearing to me. I have learned that Lucado's manner of making a point involves telling a metaphorical story. while this was effective for some points related to grace it was not needed for every concept. It became taxing having to read these parables and comparing them to the points Luc ...more
Janet Mahlum
Jan 31, 2017 Janet Mahlum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our Bible study Sunday School class picked this book to study. It took us a year and a half to get through it, not because we slogged through it but because we read the chapter together in class and then discussed the questions at the back. We don't meet in the summer and had to cancel many classes because of conflicts. However, when we did finish it, all agreed it was a very good book with a lot of interesting discussions. I wouldn't exactly call it a study of the book of Romans. We did do that ...more
Nikki
Dec 18, 2016 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was inspiring but it wasn't the best book I've read by this author. This book was great for anyone who questions God's grade or doesn't fully accept it or understand the breadth and depth of God's grace. I would definitely recommend this book to any Christian out there no matter where they are in their faith. It is a wonderful book with amazing stories and examples as well as explanations to help bring the Bible and it's teachings into modern times and make it easier for readers to und ...more
Alice William
The book begins with a parable of the River, where 4 out of 5 sons disobey the father and get pulled into the current of the river and are washed downstream far away from home. One starts building a hut, another watches him and judges while the third tries to work his way up the river home. When the father sends his eldest son to bring them back home, everyone denies except the fourth. Wonderful illustration of grace.

We have to understand who we are and what mess we have created for ourselves so
Dani
Sep 16, 2013 Dani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"La respuesta de Pablo a la gracia de Dios es un quinteto de preguntas, disparadas como fuegos pirotécnicos, no para pedir respuestas, sino para asombrar (...)"

Romanos 8:31-35
1) Si Dios es por nosotros, ¿quién contra nosotros?
2) El que no escatimó ni a su propio Hijo, sino que lo entregó por todos nosotros, ¿cómo no nos dará también con él todas las cosas?
3) ¿Quién acusará a los escogidos de Dios? Dios es el que justifica.
4) ¿Quién es el que condenará? Cristo es el que murió; más aun, el que ta
Kory
Aug 23, 2012 Kory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been a while since I read any Lucado. He has such an approachable style, and his books read like a sermon–one which always comes across with a great deal of patient love.

I contend that The Parable of the River, which is the opening chapter here, is one of the greatest modern contributions to understanding God's Grace, particularly by displaying our varied responses to it. Like Jesus' parables, it gives you a chance to identify with a character, and thereby better understand your actual responsiv
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
In his vivid prose, Lucado illustrates the grace of God. His points are loosely based on the first chapters of Romans, and he uses several modern day parables to illustrate the barriers that people put up to receiving God's grace. It's a uplifting and sometimes challenging look at how legalism, judgementalism, and "I can do it myself"ism seperate us from God. This audio version was an execellent adaptation, I loved the "ka-ching" sound effects that they used when they were talking about the soun ...more
R.M. Lutz
Aug 13, 2015 R.M. Lutz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is an excellent introduction to the idea of Grace and a good walk-through of the book of Romans. I would recommend it to anyone who struggles with the idea of God's forgiveness or who has a difficult time understanding Paul's writing style. If I hadn't just read Mere Christianity, this probably would have received a 5-star rating (C.S. Lewis sort of spoils you on depth of ideas--this is a more suitable book for someone who is just beginning his/her walk with Christ or just getting seri ...more
Miriam
Apr 02, 2016 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy bueno!!!
FRAGMENTO DEL LIBRO:

Durante los primeros días de la guerra civil un soldado de la Unión fue arrestado y acusado de deserción. Incapaz de probar su inocencia, se le condenó y sentenció a morir como los desertores. Su apelación logró llegar hasta hasta el escritorio de Abraham Lincoln. El presidente sintió misericordia por el soldado y firmó el perdón. El soldado regresó al ejército, luchó durante toda la guerra y murió en la última batalla. En el bolsillo del pecho encontraron la cart
DAMON WINTERS
Apr 18, 2012 DAMON WINTERS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my very favorite books on grace! God's grace is simply amazing...we can never fall too far! Max Lucado has such a terrific way of expressing his thoughts on paper. He's able to say in a few words what my heart truly feels. This is a great read, no matter where you may be in life, especially if you are feeling that you have made a terrible mess of your life, beyond God's repair. If you're down, it'll lift your spirit; if you're up, it'll strengthen your confidence in God's love for you.
Shay Gore
Jun 12, 2013 Shay Gore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: closer-to-god
This book made grace such an easy concept to grasp. It's crazy that one who's been a Christian so long would have to say that, but nonetheless, thank God for this message. Lucado's funny anecdotes and innovative way of bring the Word to life, makes it easy to see how God's grace is a gift to us all. Most of all, we can leave knowing we have a God who loves us so much, that there's nothing we can do to stop him.
Lynn Bingaman
It took me a long time to slog through this book, because I looked up every scriptural reference! Lucado used a paraphrased Bible and also took verses out of context, so this is why I needed to look up the verses. As we all know a person who does a paraphrase often gives their own religious slant to a works. I found that to be this case in this book. While I didn't agree with all the conclusions, I found the basic premise to be comforting.
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living it Is Another
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • God Is Closer Than You Think: If God Is Always with Us, Why Is He So Hard to Find?
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
  • The Body
  • Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive
  • The Grand Weaver: How God Shapes Us Through the Events of Our Lives
  • The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving (LifeChange Books)
  • Peace with God: The Secret of Happiness
  • Victory Over the Darkness
With more than 125 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing September 2017 and is titled Anxious for Nothing.

More about Max Lucado...

“Our God is abundant in love and steadfast in mercy. He saves us, not because we trust in a symbol, but because we trust in a Savior.” 19 likes
“To quote John MacArthur: “As far as the way of salvation is concerned, there are only two religions the world has ever known or will ever know—the religion of divine accomplishment, which is biblical Christianity, and the religion of human achievement, which includes all other kinds of religion, by whatever names they may go under.”3” 0 likes