Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  81,663 ratings  ·  1,672 reviews
A beloved classic now available in board-book edition for the youngest reader.
Board Book, 25th Anniversary Edition, 24 pages
Published September 15th 1996 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1967)

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
22nd out of 2,769 books — 4,071 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
129th out of 2,973 books — 5,561 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Jan 19, 2008 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone with children
Shelves: picture-books
Many people may not like this book or think it is too simple a book, not really a story. I think this is a great book. My children love it. It is a perfect book for young children who are just starting to learn letters, their sounds, and words. It is also a great book for those children who may not be great readers. When I taught first grade, I had a few students who weren't able to read. Their confindence level was low and we had a really hard time finding good books that they were able to read...more
Sara
Now this is a huge hit with Baby A. (at 10 months). Most of the artwork--especially the "purple cat," for which A. snaps to attention--is lovely as ever, but there's a "teacher" picture that is just plain creepy. "I see a teacher looking at me." An early start to him thinking, "that can't be good."
Jfk
Sep 15, 2008 Jfk rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Justin Smith and chimpanzees
Recommended to Jfk by: Pilar
Terrible characterization. Blue Horse? What the heck is that!? The plot is monotonous and dull. And the ending...a montage of scenes from the book, and not even a good one! The only thing I can say in its favor is that you can probably get through it in a couple of days.
midnightfaerie
Definitely one our favorite books. Great illustrations and fun to say out loud. All my kids pretty much have the book memorized so much so that we recite it in the car. Easy reading, but a good book for an older sibling to read to their younger siblings and a great way to learn colors. A book the whole family loves.
Miranda
I wasn't really into this book when I was little, but this is my daughter's favorite book- so I have to give it 5 star props. Whenever we get to the black sheep, she yells out "BAAAAAA!"

Many mornings she wakes up and demands, "BOOK!" and if I don't pick this one, she yells, "Noooooooo! BOOOOK!" until I read her Brown Bear...
Beth F.
I've been eyeing this in the book store and thought it looked neat but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $13 on a brand new book that would just be drooled on and sat on and gnawed on and have the spine cracked while testing the physical limits on how far one can turn a page backwards.

And then great grandma sent it to us in a birthday package. Problem solved!

The first time we read this book my daughter had a reaction to every single turn of the page. She gasped, pointed and said things like, "OH!...more
Shoeb Narot
‘Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?’ By Eric Carle.

This is another great picture book by Eric Carle. You could happily read it aloud and enjoy it with a young audience. The children have lots of opportunities to join in, as the book focuses on using rhythmic and repetitive texts throughout. The illustrations are fantastic, a combination of bright eye-catchy colours with lovely examples of tissue paper collages used to represent the animals in the story.

The book begins with the reader askin...more
Anittah
Bold move to not order the animals according to the ROY G BIV spectrum. Makes it slightly more challenging to memorize. I'm almost there, though.

My eleven week old daughter giggles like a maniac whenever I start reading this book to her, and she is particularly fascinated by the final page. Hence -- because of the maniacal gurgling and concurrent kicking -- five stars, although personally I found the narrative arc a bit flat.
Angie **loves angst**
My Kindergarteners made me read this to them five times on Friday at work. Five times!!!!! By the time I was done, I could tell every word to the story without looking at the pages. Some one please save me from pushy five year olds with a penchant for rhyming books.

description
Efrain Guzman-Rosario
May 02, 2007 Efrain Guzman-Rosario rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Parents to read to children
Man!!! This is my all time favorite (Next to the Bible, of course)! Before this was a book, it was a hand out, that I received in Ft. Clayton, Panama in the Curundu Elementary School, where I learned English and refined it with Sesame Street/Plaza Sesamo.

I got this book to pass down an experience I once had.
Elizabeth
Readings held nightly anywhere from 7pm to 8pm... GBS,jr. invites you to his crib for the "mommy special".
Great book... my son turns the pages himself now and I often find him reading it himself in the mornings.
What a brilliant children's author!
Ashlee Ford

I love love love kid books! Now that I have a son and daughter of my own, it is awesome to be able to re-read stories like this with them. Brings back great memories. I bought this book for my son about two weeks ago at our local Walmart. Most of the books he has at home were given to me by my sister, that had belonged to my nephew (who is now 14.) And most of the books are longer books that don't keep a two year old s attention. After realizing he had very few short picture books to get started...more
Samia (Sam)
I've rated this book with 5 stars as it has been a favourite with my reception class.The colourful illustrations are eye-catching and the rhyming narrative provides opportunity for children to join in with reading the story about the brown bear who is looking at another animal.That animal is then asked who it is looking at and so on.
After reading the story once, I say to the children 'I see a -------- (children's response) looking at me.'
This method encourages many learning skills as children ar...more
Krista Lineweaver
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? is a poetry book written by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle. This book is intended for the nursery aged audience because it is just an introduction of poetry. It is a great book that includes poetic techniques such as repetition and rhyme. The repetition in the book is the repeating of the phrases, "what do you see" and "looking at me." The children will be able to catch on to what the next line of the story is going to be and could eventually begin readin...more
Brandi Smith
"Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" is a picturebook written by Bill Martin Jr. and illustrated by Eric Carle. It is intended for children from birth to age 5(N).
I did not detect a plot in this story. It sort of reminded me of a game that I had played in elementary school where each student was asked to name an object and at the end of the game the last student had to try and recall all of the objects that had been named.
Because I think that this book is a great learning tool, I have...more
Hayley
I know this is a classic, but for some reason I just can’t bring myself to enjoy it very much. The illustrations are clearly Eric Carle style, which many kids who are fans of his will be attracted to, and the repetitive nature of the story is a great method of helping early readers to identify similar words, as well as to understand the concept of rhyme. The book also provides lessons about colors and different animals, things kids tend to love very much.

I do question the blue horse, though. It’...more
Maria Katrina
Many may see this book as overly simplistic but I think it is ideal for young children that are just starting to learn phonics and words to struggling readers to take ownership of their reading by feeling more confident. The words are repetitive and easy insuring that young and struggling readers can get through the book with much ease and have a feeling of accomplishment at finishing reading a book.

It is a book that chains one character to another. It starts with a question of what Brown Bear...more
Robin Mcilroy
This book is a child's fiction book that follows a rhythmic pattern throughout the story. It introduces colours and potentially new animals to children in a simple yet imaginative way. The story asks certain animals what they can see, to which they answer what they see looking at them. E.g. 'Brown Bear, brown Bear, what do you see?' ... 'I see a red bird looking at me'. This creative rhyming nature continues until the book finishes with a summary of all the animals and things that the 'children'...more
Chiix Moses
MY REVIEW

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? is a book that most children have read to them, or read themselves growing up. This is because it truly is a good read. I like this story so much because it teaches many things using a very simple context. The book teaches colours, animals, observation, and even can help children with ordering. The book also features a large amount of repetition, something that is essential to children's books, and children's learning. I think that this book is a...more
Kristen Scelonge
Grade level/interest level: Primary (1st-3rd grade)
Reading Level: Lexile level, 440 LAD
Genre: Modern Fantasy/Science Fiction

Main characters: the animals and teacher in the story
Setting:where the animals are and a classroom
POV: story is told by a narrator

This book repeatedly asks children who are being read the story the simple question of "What do you see?" In doing so the children are more closely examining each page, learning colors, animals, and how words rhyme. Each rhyme leads effortlessly...more
Leslie
I love the slide and find edition of this book! It is a great way to get kids involved in the book and make it more interesting to them. The interactive feature of the book makes it that much more educational because the kids are learning more than just educational ideas, but also their motor skills. What I like most about this book is that it teaches children their colors and animals and is an easy read. The pictures in this book are much more than just pictures. The pictures are the exact colo...more
Orla Dennehy
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See??

The story is simple and clear, it educates the reader using rhythmic sentences regarding various colours and animals. As the story comes to an end, the natural progression of the story leads to an assessment of what the reader can remember from listening to/reading the book. The book has large definite illustrations that revolve explicitly to the story.
Although this book uses basic sentence structure, this allows for it to be used for children with SEN....more
Kat
There's no real plot here, just colorful pictures of animals and a repetitive pattern designed to get kids interacting with the book. My son LOVES these books. This is the third one that Carle and Martin teamed up on that we've gotten from the library, and the little man participates eagerly in the reading.

Personally, I don't think this one is quite as good as Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? or Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? as the pictures are less "realistic" and the animal...more
Sarah Sammis
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? breaks with a rule I've had about posting reviews of re-read books. Brown Bear was Sean's favorite book two years ago when he was at his last day care (before starting preschool in April 2006). It was one of those books he had memorized and Ian and I were able to purchase a copy based on his recitation of it (his memory is that good).

After our trip to Eureka and points north I found Sean's copy of Brown Bear while unpacking. I set it aside for him to read...more
Igolder
Subtexts: perspective, surveillance, paranoia!

I had to read this aloud maybe a hundred nights in a row before I noticed what the text was plainly saying: everyone thinks they are being watched! And ironically, they are the ones doing the watching! From the titular brown bear who is certain that the red bird is watching him/her, each animal is watching an animal and projecting that the very animal they watch, is watching them!

In reality, none of the projected watching is happening. Each animal is...more
Lucy
Similar to The Very Hungry Caterpillar, this storey is repetitive and visual so it great for an early years children. The book follows the path along a line of animals who when asked ‘what do you see’ say they see an animal ‘looking at me’. At the end we are shown a montage of all the animals seen in the book: brown bear, yellow duck, white dog, gold fish etc. This book works through various colours and animals with original illustrations, coupled with its repetitive and rhyming verse makes the...more
Faye
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? is a beautifully illustrated book full of repeated patterns and rhymes. Each page asks the question, 'what did you see?' to an animal who in reply introuduces the next pages animal.

I used a 'big book' version to share read it with a Year 1 class to help cover the half terms topic of 'I belong'. The teachers had planned to take children on a local area walkabout to increase their knowledge about where they go to school so I planned two literacy lessons aro...more
Bethany Crocker
I chose this book because it is a great read aloud story for beginning readers. The pictures are big, simple and clearly illustrate the text which aides young readers in learning vocabulary and quickly picking up on the patterns in the book. It's important to remember that the text changes at the end. The pattern changes from "I see.." to "We see.." This is important to point out to young readers.

I would use this story primarily as a read aloud text. This book is great for discussing colors and...more
Fatma Bodhee
This book is really good to read with nursery children. The illustrations are inviting and engage children to learn the colours and to join in with repeated refrains 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see?' ' I see x looking at me'. It can also be used as a book to develop children's initial recognition of common words, and for children to sound out words such as 'cat' and 'dog'.
Amy
I've always thought that this was a good book, and I can certainly see the mertis of this for a young child. Tonight, though, it may have become one of my favorite books.

My nephew was packing up his backpack for show-and-share day tomorrow, and this book went into the bag. It was rewarding enough to see my nephew choose to take a book to show-and-share, but then he pulled this back out of his bag, and actually started "reading" it out loud, at first to himself, and then to his mom, sister, and m...more
Picture book by Bill Martin, Jr. 9 29 Sep 01, 2013 06:34PM
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • The Very Busy Spider
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • The Napping House
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka ABC Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3