Start by marking “Six Hours One Friday: Living in the Power of the Cross” as Want to Read:
Six Hours One Friday: Living in the Power of the Cross

Six Hours One Friday: Living in the Power of the Cross

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  2,681 ratings  ·  100 reviews
Does life feel futile? "Doesn't have to."

Do some of your failures seem fatal? "They aren't."

And your death. Does the grave appear to be the final stop? According to Christ, your death is just the start of the something great.

There is a truth greater than all the losses and sorrows of life. And it can be discovered in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

In "Si
Published February 12th 2004 by W Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Six Hours One Friday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Hours One Friday

Lovereading
This is the first Max Lucado book I read and I was hooked on this author. He has written many new books since and each one is inspiring.
Cafelilybookreviews
The first chapter in this book is called "Hurricane Warnings" which caught my attention. The author compares the storms of life to hurricanes, and advises readers to "anchor deep", in order to make it through the storm. This book is one of the tools he offers for anchoring deep, and reestablishing a firm foundation in Christ.

Anyone familiar with Max Lucado will know that he uses insightful stories and analogies to drive his points home. He refers to the three "Big F's" on the human report card:
Cynthia
Mar 11, 2010 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: faith-based
Every time I read a Max Lucado book for the first time, I wonder what took me so long to get to it. This book is no exception.

Lucado points out that the failures in our lives, the faults we see in ourselves, are part of a broken creation - but they DON'T change our worth in God's eyes. He illustrates Bible passages in a way that hits home - drawing parallels between current events and those that happened 2000 years ago. It's a must read for those suffering from depression, from anxiety about li
Jeth
Dreading with your life? Read this. Max incorporates the eternally powerful words and events in the life of Jesus with ours, I mean the life of a common person. This is no self help book. This helps the hopeless to look upon Jesus who hang on the cross for Six hours, One Friday. What happened that time, can happen in your life too...
Amy
This book gave me the chills several times. It is a short and easy read, but it says so much. As always you come away from this book with a renewed sense and better understanding of how much Jesus loves us, and the knowledge that if you are saved everything really is going to be ok.
Barb
Contemporary Christian author takes a look at what the 3is of the death on the cross.

Three anchor points
1. My life is not futile
2. My failures are not fatal
3. My death is not final

Good reading for the serious student of Christianity
Anna
Max Lucado seems to be more of a novel writer. Didn't like his style of writing. He seemed to be bouncing everywhere on different subjects. Haven't read any other books by him. Really didn't like this one.
Jessica
This is a great book to read around Easter time. I've never understood his death as much as I did after reading this book. It brought a new meaning to Easter for me. The book I have is a three book set.
Julie
Good book - would make a good Bible Study book.

"My life is not futile.
My failures are not fatal.
My death is not final."
p.174
Bella Richardson
The most life changing book I ever read. I re-read it every Easter. Have read it at least 11 times. Love this book.
Amy
Max Lucado - read early in my walk. = encouraging, but sometimes a bit fluffy.
Aaron Fullmer
Apr 05, 2014 Aaron Fullmer rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those in need of inspiration who have not the willpower to think for themselves
Recommended to Aaron by: A buddy long ago when I was in the military.
I never thought I'd ever be a book snob, but this one made me realize I must be one. Sorry Max Lucado, I just can't read your literature. I started this book, read the first chapter and hoped it would pick up the pace. After getting into the second chapter, I realized this is not the book for me. Everything I read was congruent with my beliefs, but I desire less emotional appeals in a book as I do deep hard, heart-wrenching, mind-boggling truth that make me think. I suppose this book did all the ...more
Catherine Martin
A Easter weekend read

I have found myself drawn to the books of Max Lucado this Easter weekend. This is the third one that I have read in two days. I was drawn to it by its title and this book didn't disappoint me. It gave a detailed description of what it must have been like in those last Six Hours for Jesus Christ. In the author's form he talks about forgiveness and what to do when your life goes awry. I am going to read this book again and I hope that I never forget it's message.
Sarah Elisabeth
Is death really the end, or is it the beginning? What did the crucifixion of Jesus Christ mean for that ultimate question? Can there be real hope in it all?

In Six Hours One Friday, Max Lucado takes on these questions and more. Using stories from life today and biblical ones, sometimes blending the two, he illustrates that “my life is not futile, my failures are not fatal, and my death is not final.” The book includes an extensive study guide.

>>>

While I related to many of the concepts an
Kristin King
I listened to this on our Spring Break car trip with the kids. The retelling of Bible stories woven with modern happening and weaving those themes and issues together was masterfully done. The narrator's expressions were kind of flat though and it seemed to drag--maybe that was more due to the 13 hour drive though.
Kyle
Max Lucado is my favorite Christian author and this is another good book by him! Like all of the books I have read by him, this was a quick and easy read! This book kept me interested just like all of his books I have read! This book, like most of his books, includes a study guide at the end. I recommend this book! I look forward to reading more of Max Lucado’s books!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers pr
Harley
This book was a life changer! Written with real passion for Jesus and the power of the cross. If you don't want to be challenged then don't read this book. If you are tired of doing church and playing at Christianity then read this and be reminded of the power of Christ that we have available to us!
Jill Rippon
Max Lucado is a great writer for my reading abilities or limitations. He has a way to take Biblical events and relate them to events I can identify with. Great read at the perfect time for our book club, we read this April 2014 Easter month.
Mallory
This is actually the first Lucado book I've read. Very good; I was glad I read it right before Easter. I especially liked how he took well-known, almost taken for granted parables, and placed them in an entirely new setting so that they felt fresh and new, like I was hearing them for the first time. Affirmation that life is worth living and death is not the end.
Nicolette Gianni
This was the first book by Max Lucado I ever read, I've read many since, but this one is still one of my favorites. Max has a way of making you say--wow, I never thought of it that way before.
Rita
This is an absolutely terrific book about Jesus crucifixion. It truly gets you emotionally in touch with the weight of the sacrifice that was made.
George
This was book just wasn't enough for me. It was useful and good enough; however, it isn't on the same plane as Blue Like Jazz . I think because I have a fairly deep thirst for opinion and belief and have a lot of patience for DEEP dives into Christianity and faith... AND because the first book club book was so scholarly, this book suffers by definition, which isn't fair to it. Unfortunately, despite being helpful (I mean, most of the entire second and third sections were good), this book suffer ...more
Lori
He always has some tings to say that are not new but put in a way that makes you think. It was good reading during Easter week
Mark
I have read this book every Holy Week for the past several years. It just gives me a good perspective on Jesus passion.
Johnny Mcdonald
I read this book when it first came out, it was very good and I look forward to reading it again
Amber
Another one of Lucado's touching, focused reflection. This would be good for those who are just beginners in the mysteries of the faith, or those not particularly interested in the intricacies of theology, but would like to go just a little deeper into the reality of the Christian faith.
Stephy Jemmisparks
Jun 30, 2008 Stephy Jemmisparks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Stephy by: the saleslady (lol)
The amazing fact of the resurrection and heartbeat of our God, is so assuringly behind these words crafted in this book.

I found myself holding my breath reading each analogy ,though repeated reading has worn the book out totally.

The assurance that our failures despites our tries are forgiven, the love that made us is eternal is so sweet craved in this assuring words of faith, comforts and restores us in this sometimes accusing world.

We then understand the significance of our importance in Whose
Hayden
A good book that details three anchor points for when the winds of life blow, centered around the cross of Jesus.
Darlene Russ
This book was a bit difficult for me. It was more on the lines of C. S. Lewis so I struggled.
  • Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life
  • Right Thinking in a World Gone Wrong: A Biblical Response to Today's Most Controversial Issues
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • The Case for Easter: A Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection
  • Peace with God: The Secret Happiness
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • The Body
  • When God Doesn't Make Sense
  • God Is Closer Than You Think: If God Is Always with Us, Why Is He So Hard to Find?
  • Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise
  • Voices of the Faithful
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...
You Are Special He Chose the Nails Facing Your Giants In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear

“failures are not fatal. It’s not that he loves what you did, but he loves who you are. You are his. The One who has the right to condemn you provided the way to acquit you. You make mistakes. God doesn’t. And he made you.” 0 likes