Start by marking “Highland Wolf (Murray Family #15)” as Want to Read:
Highland Wolf (Murray Family #15)

Highland Wolf (Murray Family #15)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,375 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Annora MacKay senses a disturbing evil in Dunncraig Keep, the estate acquired by her cousin, a cruel and ruthless man. Only her affection for the tiny girl he claims is his daughter stops her from fleeing. Then a mysterious woodcarver arrives at the castle, and she cannot stop thinking --- or longing --- for him ...

James Drummond, once a laird now an outcast, wants what wa
Mass Market Paperback, 348 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Wolf

Outlander by Diana GabaldonKiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Dark Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie MoningBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
Best Highland/Scotland Romance Novels
120th out of 448 books — 1,523 voters
The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer AshleyOutlander by Diana GabaldonTo Seduce a Sinner by Elizabeth HoytThe Many Sins Of Lord Cameron by Jennifer AshleyDragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Redheaded Romance Heroes
125th out of 136 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Staci
After having read several of the Murray clan's sotries, this one feels a bit repetitive. It has the precocious child in Meggie (who is not as adorably precocious as Odo from Highland Groom); it has someone falsely accused of killing their spouse like in Highland Honor; it has the unfaithful wife who keeps a diary (also in Highland Groom), it has the bastard born lady who doesn't think she is good enough like in Highland Destiny. There may be more repeats, I haven't read all of Howell's novels. I ...more
K
Oct 07, 2012 K rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans/readers of historical romance or the series
Recommended to K by: found on author's website
Continuing her Murray family saga, Highland Wolf focuses on James Drummond, the son of Bethia and Eric (a child who was fostered by the Murray family). At first, I did not recognize James' character, but looking at a family tree of the Murray family put is all together for me. As with the other books in this series, I found this story an easy, enjoyable read overall w/ memorable characters. I was pleasantly suprised by the constant action and little plot twist/turns. I am def looking forward to ...more
Diana
Laird James Drummond was falsely accused of murdering his wife and had to flee for his life, leaving his keep and his young daughter in the clutches of the plot's mastermind, Sir Donnell MacKay. Now three years later, he returns home in disguise, determined to take back what is his, and meets MacKay's virtuous cousin Annora, who has taken over the care of his daughter Meggie.

Great chemistry between Annora and James. There is no real internal conflict, which is refreshing. Instead, there are mult
Wendy Tavenner
I have read so many Hannah Howell books. She is such a wonderful writer!!! Read this book on Oyster it took me a day and I absolutely loved it. It brngs me back to when James was a baby and Bethia trying to save him. This time James is trying to save not only himself, but also his daughter, Annora and his people. James is wanted as an outlaw, he is accused of killing his wife Mary. James has been on the run for 3 years and says he us done running, it's time to find the proof of his innocence. Th ...more
Kristine
He's hiding his identity to undue wrong. She's trying to survive in a "Highland World". Predictably romance ensues you can get the rest by reading the blurb in the back.
Paranormal Romance
Framed for the murder of his wife and cast out as a fugitive, losing his title and his daughter in the process, the hero schemes to find a way to clear his name. He dons an eye patch to cover up his remarkable eyes, dyes his hair and pretends to be a servant. Allowed into the keep once again, he meets the heroine. Bastard cousin to the man who ruined his life, she's beaten daily and forced into betrothal with the new lairds evil second in command. The only reason she stays in such a place is for ...more
L8blmr
I had a tough time rating this one. The set-up dragged for me; the middle was quite good, I thought, then the story climaxed with some 30 pages to go and I could not understand why. This last section might have been the worst in the book; for some reason, the author goes off on a long tangent about stained-glass windows (a set-up for another book featuring the hero's brother? Who knows...). Though I was very happy there were no "misunderstandings" and the "big secret" was kept from, for the most ...more
Cruth
"Ye gave me my heart and took the darkness from my soul." p.332, loc.4124

Author: Hannah Howell
First published: 2008
Length: 349 pages, 4318 locations
Setting: Scotland, 1477.
Sex: explicit, not very frequent.
Heroine: Abused. Emotionally and physically by various family members as the unwanted orphan bastard. Is physically abused and almost-raped during book.
Hero: Beaten before and during book.
Paranormal: light - Annora senses others feelings and has the occasional kinda-vision.
Series: Book 15 of Ho
June Alves
Donnell MacKay é o vilão mais odiável da história dos vilões. Ele está junto com o Governador e o negan do the Walking Dead. Ele é horrível, mal, cruel, vingativo, mesquinho, mas muito esperto. O que obrigou o mocinho e a mocinha dessa história serem ainda mais espertos, além de contarem com alguns bons golpes de sorte, provando que o universo conspira a nosso favor. Enquanto Annora é esperta, sensível, inteligente, gentil e charmosa o mocinho também é assim. Eles não são opostos que se atraem, ...more
Trixie Joy
It is a good book:) I adore Annora for taking a good care of Meggie even if she's not hers. On the other hand, it is good that James had re-claim what was stolen from him.They deserve each other, protector and lover for James, a mother for Meggie and a wife for James. Happy ever after!
Elle
James Drummond was outlawed by the King of Scotland for killing his wife, and an enemy now holds his keep and his lands and his young daughter. In disguise, he returns to set things right.

Bastard-born Annora MacKay is living at said estate, having been brought in to act as caretaker of the little girl, whom her cousin claims is his own daughter. She sees her cousin's cruelty and dishonesty and works hard to shield little Meggie as best she can, while fending off the lecherous advances of his cre
July
“Sir James Drummond had to sneak back into Dunncraig as a wood carver. He was Laird three years ago at the keep but now he is accused of murder and outlaw by the one who sits as Laird now unjustly. He is there to find proof of his innocense. His daughter Meggie is being cared for by Annora MacKay the Lairds couson. She knows her couson is a rotten man. And she does her best to keep out of his way, and keep his far from Meggie. He tells everyone the Meggie is his child. James freedom, life and ch ...more
Deanna Against Censorship
I have only read one of the Murray Family series before this one and it was a later book in their saga. I picked this one because I thought from the title, it was a Highland Shifter story. It was not. I still enjoyed this story. I was not familiar with James from earlier books, but fell in love with him immediately. I liked that Annora and James got together fairly early in the story. I liked that the bad guys were truly evil. Meggie was okay but not real. I grew to like Annora when she made her ...more
Jill
James, foster son to Bethia and Eric Drummond (her sister's son she saved from the man who killed his parents,) brother to Gillyanne, et al. I really liked this one a lot, although I had a hard time believing that his family would have let him become outlawed and stay that way for 3 years no matter how well she explained it away. However, it did make for an interesting plotline: a man sneaking back into his own house to oust the murderer of his wife.
Bridget
Jamie Grummond, Laird of Dunncraig, is framed for the murder of his wife Mary, and declared outlaw. After three years away from his property and small daughter Meggie, he decides to disguise himself and return to attempt to prove he was innocent. The nursemaid to his daughter, Annora becomes more to him that he planned. Eventuallly all is well. Been there, done that. Enoyable but Howells formula writing.
Jenn
this one was different, ill put this in terms you can understand if you read these books - the lass didnae run for it or make him grovel you ken? - james had no real ASSHAT moments it was actually really good I loved little meggie though a little more input would have been better for her, like maybe over hearing something or seeing something she then can tell james aka rolf.
Kaila
Hands down,Hannah Howell is my favorite author when it comes to Highlander Romance novels. She just has a way of captivating my attention and making me feel the need to stay up late just so I may finish her books. Everytime i pick up one of her's, I just know I will have a hard time putting it down. Great Story, and 4.5 from me.
Petula
Oct 13, 2013 Petula added it
another sexy highlander from hannah howell. james has been declared an outlaw.suspected of killing his wife. he is going in disguise to his keep to find proof of his innocence. annora is nurse to young meggie and bastard cousin to the man who is sitting in the laird's chair. a good adventure and marvellous read .as usual.
Joni Stevens
This is Needs to be read after highland lover and champion and before highland sinner. Another good Hannah Howell highlander book it did not disappoint. Just read them in order by date that story starts and you will understand the family connection it makes for a more enjoyable story.
Brenda (b)
I must admit Hannah Howell is one of my favorite authors. I haven't read anything of hers that I didn't like and this one is no exception. Donnell was a true villian - I couldn't wait for him to get what he deserved. Annora and James were great and I wanted their story to keep going.
Teresa
4 stars
Hannah Howell is known for these types of books. Rugged Scottish male who's heart has been broken, falling in love with beautiful woman. A little bit of magic thrown in for good measure. This is one of the books, If you like this genre then you will enjoy this book.
Holly
I'm such a sucker for Hannah Howell. Her stories are often predictible, but I adore her heroines and her writing style. This book was no exception. Even though I think the Murray's need to be retired already, I'm sure I'll keep reading them as long as she keeps writing them.
Stacie
Sep 25, 2008 Stacie added it
This is the story of a man wrongly accused to murdering his wife. He goes in disguise to try to clear his name and take back his daughter. His enemy has taken over his keep and declared himself Laird. He falls in love with his enemy's cousin who is taking care of his daugher.
Lindy
Another really good book in this series. The angst ran a bit high at times, but I still enjoyed it. As a humorous aside, the cover is truly delicious and whoever decided they should put the price sticker right in the middle of Jame's face should be hanged. ;)
Ariel
This was the first book I read by this author and I liked the book . I'm not sure where the 'Wolf' part comes in , but it was an allright read . If I see something else by her at the library or something I'll most likely pick it up .
Judy Perry
This was the first book I read by Hannah Howell. I fell in love with James and Annora! After reading this I read all of the Murray family books. I could not put them down!!!! I recommend them to everyone!!!
Danette Steward
I think the first 1/3 of the book was very boring, but it sets up some stuff. If you like Highland romances then Hannah Howell is an author to put at the top of your list.
marjorie
this was a really good romance with action to boot. if you like paranormal this is not the book for you because it had not one drop of it throuhgout the whole book.
Elaine Mcdonald
This one moved too slow for me. It really couldn't keep my attention. 3.5 The story was good but scenes just seemed to drag on forever.
Kindaangelic
  • A Taste Of Fire
  • Highlander Unchained (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #3)
  • Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • Highland Hero (Scottish Knights Trilogy, #2)
  • The Highlander (Medieval Warriors Trilogy, #3)
  • Taming the Highland Bride (Devil of the Highlands, #2)
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Soul of a Highlander (Daughters of the Glen, #3)
  • Conquered by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #4)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...

Murray Family (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
  • Highland Honor (Murray Family, #2)
  • Highland Promise (Murray Family, #3)
  • Highland Vow (Murray Family, #4)
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6 & MacEnroys, #1)
  • Highland Angel (Murray Family, #7)
  • Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)
  • Highland Warrior (Murray Family, #9 & MacEnroy, #3)
  • Highland Conqueror (Camerons, #1 & Murray Family, #10)
Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1) The Eternal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires #1) My Immortal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires, #3) Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6 & MacEnroys, #1) Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)