Start by marking “The Room in the Dragon Volant” as Want to Read:
The Room in the Dragon Volant

Read Book* *Different edition

The Room in the Dragon Volant

Word was the hotel -- the Dragon Volant -- was haunted. Worse yet, Richard Beckett had taken lodging in the very room that gave the hotel its curious reputation.
Published May 1st 2002 by Wildside Press (first published 1872)

To ask other readers questions about The Room in the Dragon Volant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Room in the Dragon Volant

Dfordoom
Apr 02, 2008 Dfordoom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-gothic
Sheridan le Fanu is just about my favourite 19th century writer of supernatural and gothic tales. The Room in the Dragon Volant is somewhat unusual for le Fanu, since it’s not really a supernatural tale. It does however have plenty of gothic elements and some genuine horror, and it’s an ingenious and entertaining tale. It’s set in France just after the end of the Napoleonic Wars, and involves a young rich Englishman who falls in love with a beautiful but mysterious, and unhappily married, counte ...more
Ovidio
Nov 21, 2015 Ovidio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Estalagem do Dragão Voador (Sheridan Le Fanu).
Não sei se haverá colecção mais 'de culto' do que esta - Livro B, livro maldito, histórias góticas, fantásticas e do horror de fim de século, em livros altos e estreitos de páginas azuis, que cabem no bolso do casaco ou da gabardina, para ler numa taberna em frente a uma aguardente, ou de noite, quando todos se foram deitar, esse tempo de "fantasmas nocturnos visionários, ou desfilar de espectros mortuários" de que fala Antero de Quental.
Le Fanu
Marts  (Thinker)
Mar 26, 2014 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, mystery, horror
Loaded with mystery and suspense and ready for anyone who likes classics in these genres, the 'Dragon Volant' can be summed up thus... 'having a handsome fortune and maybe also seeking a bit of adventure, a young man leaves his home country to do some travels but is enraptured by a beautiful woman who causes him to become as his slave, who makes him a victim of her poisons, whose actions only lead to death...'

Do enjoy reading this book :):)
Sylvester
Jan 29, 2015 Sylvester rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-book, gothic, 2015
Did Le Fanu mean for us to be surprised? Perhaps the plot was innovative at the time, but I found it irritating knowing what was coming while the protagonist was oblivious. Not Le Fanu's best work.
Benjamin Stahl
Mar 15, 2017 Benjamin Stahl rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
As with Le Fanu's uniquely enjoyable House by the Churchyard, one cannot help feeling somewhat disappointed when this Gothic novella, marketed as a ghost story - (at least with the anthology I find it in) - ends up just being a maudlin romance-mystery with only the fainstest hint of supernaturalism. However, the tale is still told well enough and it's hard to really criticise it for the most part. The climax, also, is excellent. Le Fanu utilises a fairly notorious trope of the genre, and manages ...more
Banbury
Oct 12, 2016 Banbury rated it liked it
A fun, gothic tale with a predictable plot. Enjoyable to read for the period details.
Kacey
Apr 14, 2015 Kacey rated it it was ok
I feel really bad about this rating, but this is after reading two other works by the same author. Carmilla was very good and had me engrossed the entire way through. The Evil Guest had a decent start but took a strange U-turn. As for this one.... Maybe it's my own fault for reading this so soon after those other two, but I couldn't get as engaged.

The only thing that really got my attention was that they discussed revenants. But that of course got me expecting to see one or to have that idea use
TOM
Dec 19, 2016 TOM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me of Poe in parts - a love struck young idiot is drawn into a plot to steal all his money and bury him alive. Clever and with a great dramatic ending. The plot slowly dawns on you as you read. Some wonderful and fantastic descriptions of a masquerade and fabulous costumes, groves with ivy choked ruins etc.
Oscar Amador
Caso extraño.

Es de esos libros que leí en mi adolescencia y noté que me había pasado de noche. Así que decidí darle una segunda leída y en efecto, fue como leerlo por primera vez.

Le Fanu es un clásico del género. Aunque a veces sus andanzas literarias pecan de cierta ingenuidad romántica (propia del su siglo), la atmósfera brumosa que recrea en sus narraciones es digna representante del gótico literario.

Claro, aunque en esta breve y entretenida historia, quizá el problema es que la anécdota se p
Riké
At first I was ready to give this book two stars. The beginning was slow and the middle dragged on. I considered dropping the book. However, the language was beautiful plus there were pockets of intriguing storytelling and action.

Then I reached the climax, and the story became much more exciting. I had to know what happened next. The ending saved the book from being added to my shelf "thank-goodness-its-over". Overall, I loved judging Richard for not using his head.

I may have a new favorite ge
Andreia
My first Le Fanu and it is not one of his most famous works... I can see why.
It was the predictable, but still enjoyable, tale of a naive young man that falls in love with a beautiful woman that he knows nothing about.
I liked it, but it annoyed me how predictable it was - even though I think it was supposed to be. The writing was very good. There isn't much to say about the characters and the mystery wasn't there. I wish this was better.
I still want to read more by this author though because I l
Stfrnz
Oct 17, 2015 Stfrnz rated it liked it
This is my second story from Le Fanu - I still couldn't get Uncle Silas which I'm the most interested in! - and I mostly have the same opinion as of Carmilla. It's incredibly atmospheric (so goth, I love it!), with mysterious events and characters, but somehow it gets a bit predictable and typical. I enjoyed it from start to finish, but my enthusiasm faded after a while. I still think Le Fanu is a great author, but I think I missed his masterpiece yet.
Latasha
Aug 13, 2013 Latasha rated it it was ok
Shelves: public-domain
I only made it to chapter 6 before I just gave up on this one. it just wasn't doing anything for me.
Slinkyboy
Jan 17, 2012 Slinkyboy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001
A fantastic tale... even if you want to smack the narrator on the back of the head for being so naive.
Daphne
Jan 14, 2014 Daphne rated it liked it
Typical Victorian Horror/mystery. No paranormal. One of the least observant and dimwitted protagonist.
Holly
Mar 13, 2014 Holly rated it liked it
Listened via Librivox and thought it wasn't too bad. It was a little slow and not sure I really identified with the main characters, but kept me interested enough to read to the end.
Tocotin
Sheridan Le Fanu is a master.
ღ Carol jinx~☆~
ღ Carol jinx~☆~ rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Ixtepan
Ixtepan rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Angelusnoir
Angelusnoir rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2010
Tomasz
Tomasz rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Ellen Stratton
Ellen Stratton rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2016
Descending Angel
Descending Angel rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Daniel Willers
Daniel Willers rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2009
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Irena
Irena rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Esthelis
Esthelis rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2008
Terri
Terri rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2015
  • The Black Lizard and Beast in the Shadows
  • Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
  • Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945
  • Cuentos
  • Hue and Cry (Hew Cullan Mystery, #1)
  • The Affair of the Porcelain Dog (Ira Adler #1)
  • Charles Dickens' Ghost Stories
Joseph Thomas Sheridan Le Fanu (28 August 1814 – 7 February 1873) was an Irish writer of Gothic tales and mystery novels. He was the leading ghost-story writer of the nineteenth century and was central to the development of the genre in the Victorian era. M.R. James described Le Fanu as "absolutely in the first rank as a writer of ghost stories". Three of his best-known works are Uncle Silas, Carm ...more
More about J. Sheridan Le Fanu...