Start by marking “Prairie Moon” as Want to Read:
Prairie Moon

Prairie Moon

Living on a rundown farm at the edge of a small Texas town, Della Ward is haunted by the bittersweet life she once lived with an adoring husband who died too soon. Once a laughing, carefree soul, Della is now a widow with only guilty memories for company. Until the day she sees a rugged stranger riding across the prairie toward her house. His presence awakens Della’s heart ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Prairie Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prairie Moon

Lyuda
Maggie Osborne is a queen of western HR genre. It was a sad day when she decided to retire from writing. I love her heroines-strong, independent, and admirable women. And her heroes! Honorable, decent and strong men without turning into alpha males. You know the author did a fair amount of research for her books to make them historically sound. This book is no exception.

This is the story of courage, perseverance, honor, and love between a man who did not care if he lived or died and a woman who
Sharon
Time Frame: Late 1800's
Period: Post Civil War (10 years after)
Place: Texas, later in the story - journey to Atlanta Georgia
Lead Characters:
H - James Cameron: Lawman, Bounty Hunter, Gunslinger, "Legend"
h - Della Ward: Spirited Confederate Civil War Widow presently living in a shack in Two Creeks Texas (for the past 9/10 years)
Secondary Characters:
Luke: Wild West Frontiersman sworn to kill James Cameron as demanded by his Indian wife for the killing of her nephew by (H).
Gypsys: brief encounter
Jill Dunlop
Jan 06, 2011 Jill Dunlop rated it liked it
Della Ward has lived an isolated existence since her husband was killed in the Civil War. Living in a remote western farm she spends her days regretting the last letter she wrote to her husband. James Cameron is haunted by his past as well. He has spent the last ten years struggling with the decision to go to Della Ward and give her a letter and photo that her husband had on his position when he died. James struggles with the death of Della's husband, but he will have to tell her the truth if he ...more
Jane Stewart
Skip this one. Her other books are better. I wasn’t engaged. I wanted it to be over.

STORY BRIEF:
Ten years earlier, Della was married to Clarence a Confederate soldier. He was killed in battle. She was pregnant and living with Clarence’s parents in Atlanta. The parents didn’t like her and sent her to live on a small farm in Texas without her daughter. She receives a small amount of money each month to live on. Della still grieves for her husband and her daughter.

James was a soldier in the Civil W
Bark's Book Nonsense
I typically love everything Maggie Osborne writes but this book was the exception.

The story just doesn't seem like it was written by Maggie Osborne. The heroine has let circumstance rule her life and is too weak willed to do much of anything about it until big hunky dude with a crush on her walks into the picture and takes matters into his own hands. Blech. I'm very disappointed and now I'm grouchy too. What happened to crusty and original female characters like "The Promise of Jenny Jones"?
SheLove2Read
Jul 10, 2010 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, 2012
This was the last book I picked up in 2011, as my "bedtime read". I'd heard so much about it here and on Paperbackswap that I knew I had to read it, being a fan of both Maggie Osborne and western historicals. I was not disappointed.

Della and James are both wounded souls, tormented by a shared event during the Civil War: Della because she lost a husband and James because he is the one that killed him. Both are grieving losses that have affected them in profoundly different ways. Della has been tr
Keri
MO writes her characters with such amazing emotions, considering they are just words on a page. PM takes place about 10 years after the Civil War. Della is working on lonely farm way out in Texas. One day a blue eyed, gun slinger came riding onto her property with a letter from her husband that he wrote on the battlefield the day he died. So begins James and Della's story. They are two individuals with deep secrets that could very well tear the fragile relationship to peices. That is what is gre ...more
Sedoo Ashivor
Dnf at 37% At this juncture, I couldn't care less what happened to any one of them that's how detached I am from the story. Maggie Osborne is one of my favourite authors, I don't know what happened with this one. I can't explain...
Laylah
It was going so well, folks, until the truth was revealed. It reads like an almost light romance, but the resolution begs for another type of book. One with lots of references to Freud, perhaps?
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Not one of my favorites. It felt like there was something missing.

3.3
Nolan
Dec 08, 2016 Nolan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun bit of romantic and highly predictable fluff, but if a light predictable read is what you're looking for, this will get you there.

Della Ward is a civil war widow. Her husband was killed, and Della was pregnant at the time of his death. She gave her baby to his parents, who despised her for being a Yankee despite her years in Atlanta prior to the war. They, in turn, gave her the deed to a run-down Texas farm.

That's where she is when, 10 years after the war, lawman James Cameron find
Mellanie C
Jan 08, 2017 Mellanie C marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Zel Polev
micki
I'm tempted to give this 2 stars, but I *did* finish it so... Sigh. There were two main problems with this book to me. One is the drama around which the entire plot revolved. Young widow falls for soldier who killed her husband during the Civil War. But of course she doesn't know this, and since he chooses not to tell her because he has been obsessed with her for 10 years, we are are treated to page after agonizing page of one or both of them whinging, internally or out loud, about all the guilt ...more
Leslee Breene
Aug 13, 2009 Leslee Breene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Living on a run-down farm at the edge of a small Texas town, Della Ward is haunted by the bittersweet life she once lived with her adoring husband who died too soon. Now a widow, she is alone with guilty memories... Until the day a rugged stranger rides across the prairie toward her house. His presence awakens Della's heart, but she can never imagine the ways this man will forever change her life."

Book blurb, Ballantine Books

I loved this story. Maggie Osborne knows how to reveal her characters
Linda Carroll-Bradd
The core conflict between the hero and heroine was so well set up that a solution for a future relationship seemed impossible. I love stories when the reader identifies with the why a character is making a bad choice and then suffers right alongside him or her.
Carleen
I was enjoying this book until about the last third, then it fizzled out for me. James kept his secret from Della for way too long, and I was not expecting her secret at all. I think I would have enjoyed it more if the ending was different.
Marilyn
Very disappointing. Totally implausible plot. Not at all like the Maggie Osborne stories I had read before that were so unique and enjoyable.
Miki
Mar 24, 2012 Miki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title is misleading...there is absolutely nothing about a prairie moon in this book. However, it's pretty good - I was pleasantly surprised.
Janet
Jun 17, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/boo... ... an old fave. A mixture of road trip and personal introspective and self-discovery. Marvelous!
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Elyse
Elyse rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2009
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2013
Robinberryman Berryman
Robinberryman Berryman rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Karen Docter
Karen Docter rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Oksana Lvova
Oksana Lvova rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2012
Linda Anderson
Linda Anderson rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
  • Parting Gifts
  • Midnight Confessions
  • The Outsider
  • Don't Call Her Angel
  • Man Trouble
  • Hot Shot
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • All or Nothing (The Lonnigans, #2)
  • Sing My Name
  • Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3)
  • Hidden Honor
  • To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • Coming Up Roses
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • Hidden Fires
aka
Margaret St. George

Maggie Osborne is the author of I Do, I Do, I Do and Silver Lining, as well as more than forty contemporary and historical romance novels written as Maggie Osborne and Margaret St. George. She has won numerous awards from Romantic Times, Affaire de Coeur, BookraK, the Colorado Romance Writers, and Coeur du Bois, among others. Osborne won the RITA for long historical from the
More about Maggie Osborne...