Start by marking “Self Sufficiency: Spinning, Dyeing & Weaving” as Want to Read:
Self Sufficiency: Spinning, Dyeing & Weaving

Self Sufficiency: Spinning, Dyeing & Weaving

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  3 reviews
From the fly leaf: In this comprehensive book, Penny Walsh reveals all you need to know to make your own fabrics: where different fibres come from and how to grow or source your own; how to prepare them for spinning; how to use various spindles and spinning wheels to create yarn; how to dye your fabric using entirely natural dyestuffs; plus how to weave your material by ha ...more
Published 2009 by New Holland Publishing Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Self Sufficiency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self Sufficiency

Teddy
A good over-view of the topics, I think, but I would probably do more research before attempting anything but the simplest instructions.

Also, I'm a little confused by the instruction that cotton has to be spun on a short draw; I learnt on cotton when I was a kid, and short draw never went well, long draw with a lot of twist was the way to go.
A nice little book, good as an overview of the basics of spinning (both on a drop spindle and a wheel), dyeing and weaving, all based around the idea of self-sufficiency (i.e. very much focused on doing it yourself, from preparing fleeces to making looms). Probably too simplistic to learn from scratch from, but a good basic introduction.
Skulleigh
Checked this out of my local library. Very very basic information, it's pretty shallow. It might be good to give someone an idea of whether they would be interested in learning more, but I'd recommend starting with something more in-depth for actual learning.

Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2015
Pia
Pia added it
Jan 05, 2015
Niffer
Niffer marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Nantanit
Nantanit marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Ashandra Block
Ashandra Block marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Felisha
Felisha marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Jerianne
Jerianne marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Dennis
Dennis added it
Mar 17, 2013
Cardinal Biggles
Cardinal Biggles marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Piers
Piers added it
Feb 10, 2013
Catmampbell
Catmampbell marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2012
Soo
Soo added it
Sep 09, 2012
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2011
The Yarn Book (Textile Handbooks) Spinning, Dyeing & Weaving: Self-Sufficiency The Yarn Book: How to Understand, Design, and Use Yarn