Start by marking “Winterworld (Winterworld, #0)” as Want to Read:
Winterworld (Winterworld, #0)

Winterworld (Winterworld 0)

Out of print for twenty years, this brutal and suspenseful tale of survival in a frozen future by Chuck Dixon and Jorge Zaffino is one of the most influential comics works of the Eighties. Zaffino's stunning work on this story is considered his masterpiece and presented here in black and white for the first time. Included in this deluxe, archival edition of WinterWorld is ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by IDW Publishing (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Winterworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winterworld

Paul
Jan 18, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
This is a two-part book

First part is Winterworld.
I had previously read this when it originally came out from Eclipse in 1988. Doing the math, that means I'd read it 25 years ago... that's comes to half a lifetime... gezz, time sure does fly.
I don't remember what I had thought of it originally, I just know that the original floppies weren't in my collection anymore. I do remember that, at the time, it had been loosely tied into Tim Truman's Scout series... don't ask me how as after reading it aga
Tony
This book reprints the original 3-book miniseries that was released under the same name in 1987 and adds an unpublished sequel called "Wintersea." The story is a basic post-apocalyptic survival one: the earth has frozen over into a near ice-age, and humanity only survives in small pockets of settlements. Scully is a trader who moves from settlement to settlement in a kind of snow-tank, bartering various pre-apocalypse goods (toys, candy, guns and ammo, etc.) to make a living. An ambush brings ...more
Mario
May 11, 2014 Mario rated it liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Shared Universe Reviews.

Winterworld collects the three issue mini-series written by Chuck Dixon and drawn by Jorge Zaffino as well as the never before published sequel by the same creative team, Wintersea. Both stories are very similar in plot and in execution. One of them, Wintersea, is much better than the other and it's because of that second story that this book is ultimately a good read.

Comics Should Be Good's Brian Cronin once described Winterw
Doyle
May 05, 2015 Doyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
"Presented in black and white for the first time" is not typically something that should be promoted on the back cover of your book. The original Winter World was a color comic book, and the art/inking was done with this distinguishing factor in mind. This book presents the art with the original thick lines with lots of blacks and no middle gray tones. It gets a little hard to read at parts.

The premise behind this post-apocalyptic is interesting enough, especially as it was created in 1987 (wel
Artur Coelho
Jul 21, 2013 Artur Coelho rated it it was ok
Mais uma de muitas variações do tema futuro pós-apocalíptico tão em voga nos anos 80 e 90 do século XX. Num mundo coberto de gelo um implacável negociante percorre uma américa perigosa, onde tribos semi-selvagens de sobreviventes estabeleceram pólos de violência. Quando encontra uma jovem rapariga que diz ter vindo dos céus descobre a possibilidade de um local onde graças a um vulcão ainda há calor e a chama da civilização se mantém. Resta-lhes um périplo onde enfrentam tribos semi-selvagens e ...more
Austin Adkins
Feb 21, 2013 Austin Adkins rated it really liked it
Great book! Solid story and gritty artwork. The artwork is outstanding! Love the relationship between the two characters. And the winter post apocalyptic story is very refreshing then the desert wasteland type. Chuck Dixon does a great job writing a tough character who is believable. The only problem with the story is the pacing, felt very rushed. I think they could have really explored this world more. The addition of winter sea was great. I really enjoyed the story and felt for the characters ...more
Travis
Al Gore was right and mankind is now living through a new ice age.

A loner, who makes his living excavating malls and other places buried beneath the ice and snow and selling the stuff he finds.
When he takes in a young orphan girl he gets caught up in all kinds of trouble, involving bandit gangs, being captured by a tyrant and seeking the legendary 'lost people with the secrets of the ancients'.

Fun bit of sci-fi adventure. Reminds me of the kind of gritty sci-fi movies that came out in the 80's.

N
Lewis Manalo
Dec 07, 2013 Lewis Manalo rated it it was amazing
To give some credit to those people who gave it a low rating, the fast-pace and characterizations date the comic a bit, but that's a difference in style, not a flaw. This book was written when continuity and crossover events weren't the obstacles to the casual reader that they are today. Concise storytelling and phenomenal art make this comic great.
Lissibith
Nov 20, 2012 Lissibith rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-trades
Strong, fantastic art and good dialogue kept me turning pages and having a hard time stopping. There were a few places where the flow of action was a little difficult to decipher, which is what kept this from being a 5, but SO glad I got the chance to read this one. Stark post-apocolyptic storytelling at its best.
John Rapone
Oct 02, 2014 John Rapone rated it really liked it
The story was good. The art was great. Zaffino gives us at least one amazing panel per page. Unfortunately, the publisher, IDW, should've looked for a better printer because mine started to fall apart the first or second time I opened it to read. Very disappointing.
Anthony
Oct 28, 2010 Anthony rated it it was amazing

I love post-apoc fiction. This graphic novel by Chuck Dixon shares a vision of a frozen world. He doesn't get into the details of what happened. He just throws the reader into the snowbank and starts storyteller.

100,000-times better than The Road. And not just because of the pictures.
Kevin Findley
Jul 17, 2015 Kevin Findley rated it really liked it
Shelves: chuck-dixon
One of the best Post-Disaster Tales I've ever read. Also one of the best Man v. Nature Adventures Tales I've ever read.

Do yourself a favor and read it for yourself!
Connor Mooney
Dec 12, 2011 Connor Mooney rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Totally love the Waterworld on ice feel of these two stories... the only thing keeping it from five stars are that the stories moved a little too quickly. And that it's not ten times longer.
La Revistería Comics
Tomazo que recopila Winterworld y Wintersea, las dos partes de obra maestra apocalípticoinvernal del yanqui Dixon y el argento Zaffino
Chris
May 13, 2012 Chris rated it liked it

Reminded me a bit of Frank Miller. Too bad the artist died young. This could have blossomed into a great ongoing series.
Owen Curtsinger
Oct 22, 2010 Owen Curtsinger rated it liked it
Mad Max in winter. Plot is a little too fast-paced, but it shouldn't be read for its plot anyways; just the pure badassery.
Ceremony
Ceremony rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Brett
Brett rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Andy Zeigert
Andy Zeigert rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2011
Timothy Weaver
Timothy Weaver rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2014
Tristan Robb
Tristan Robb rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Minh Phong
Minh Phong rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Keith
Keith rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Javier Soto
Javier Soto rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Michael Hoskin
Michael Hoskin rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2014
Michael Bender
Michael Bender rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Charles "Chuck" Dixon is an American comic book writer, perhaps best-known for long runs on Batman titles in the 1990s.

His earliest comics work was writing Evangeline first for Comico Comics in 1984 (then later for First Comics, who published the on-going series), on which he worked with his then-wife, the artist Judith Hunt. His big break came one year later, when editor Larry Hama hired him to w
More about Chuck Dixon...

Winterworld (4 books)
  • Winterworld: La Nina (Winterworld, #1)
  • Winterworld: The Stranded (Winterworld, #2)
  • Winterworld Book 1: The Mechanic's Song