Start by marking “Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Bobby Fischer Teaches ...

Bobby Fischer

Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,756 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
This book is essentially a teaching machine. The way a teaching machine works is: It asks you a question. If you give the right answer, it goes on to the next question. If you give the wrong answer, it tells you why the answer is wrong and tells you to go back and try again.
This is called "programmed learning". The real authors were experts and authorities in the field of
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published August 1st 1982 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess, please sign up.

Michael Yes. But it has only a somewhat narrow scope: true, it boasts an easy way to learn a limited set of mating patterns, but neglects opening theory,…moreYes. But it has only a somewhat narrow scope: true, it boasts an easy way to learn a limited set of mating patterns, but neglects opening theory, tactical patterns and more. It's easy to follow and you don't need to have a chessboard at hand.(less)

James
Aug 25, 2010 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning chess players
Note to readers looking for a little light reading enjoyment on a sunny afternoon: "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess" is not the book you're looking for. It has two woefully undeveloped main characters, with poor distinction between protagonist and antagonist. These mysterious main characters, known only as "White" and "Black", have the sole purpose of meddling constantly in the affairs of thirty-two minor characters, also lacking more than cursory description or much development. With "mating" being ...more
Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read.
I'll be the first to admit, I'm feckin' useless at chess.

Bobby made me a little less feckin' usless.
Jared
This book would be better titled "Bobby Fischer Teaches a Very Limited Set of Mating Positions." It does a good job of teaching a person to recognize opportunities for checkmate. What it doesn't do is teach chess. There is nothing here about openings, middle-games, or principles of end-games like passed pawns, stalemates, etc.

The presentation style is good, and the book does a good job of teaching the very limited set of mating positions that it bothers to present. And it's short. But don't expe
Arman
Mar 07, 2016 Arman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book focuses on the endgame: back rank mating. It is organized into so-called "Frames" in which there are checkmating lessons, puzzles and solutions. I could say the book is aimed at the beginners but that doesn't mean chess players of higher ranks won't have benefit from it. It opens up your eyes to look for checkmate opportunities.
Recommended to those who are interested in chess.

I suggest you write down numbers of the frames that seemed challenging to you, so that in case you decided to re
Judith
Jul 15, 2009 Judith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love "Bobby Fischer teaches chess". It introduces several key concepts, such as pinning, back-rank attacks, interposing etc., and after each concept there are lots of puzzles. In the puzzles you have to determine how to accomplish checkmate, if it's checkmate even possible or if it can be avoided (as the defender), always by the means that has just been explained (except for the mixed-bag exercises). This really drives home the points and forces you to learn.

In a real game, you start t
Hatem Araar
Feb 03, 2017 Hatem Araar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I suggest this book for everyone who wants to be a better chess player
José Villafañe
Great book simply because by the time you're done you will be a better chess player. It was taught so simple that you know how knowledgeable of the game Bobby was which is why anyone who reads this will get their money's worth and maybe more than that.
Jean-Paul
Apr 29, 2015 Jean-Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at a Garage sale like four years ago and started reading it on a trip to Atlanta. It was a back-up book because I didn't have anyone regular to play Chess with and hone my skills on. The book itself is a well written guide on how to improve your personal chess game which is peppered with anecdotes and examples from the life and career of Grand Master Bobby Fischer. I first heard about this dude due to the film "Searching for Bobby Fischer." I've never been a chess prodigy, ...more
Robert Postill
Apr 24, 2012 Robert Postill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-it, chess
This is the first chess book I've read cover-to-cover and as such it's a very interesting read. The material is well presented and clear. The book doesn't contain much prose, it's essentially a long stream of puzzles for the reader to follow. The puzzles build in difficulty and between the advancement of the puzzles and repetition the underlying concept starts to become clear. As a mode of interaction I found that very pleasant. Certainly my back-rank mating skills are markedly improved having r ...more
Michael
Jul 03, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning and intermediate chess players
Recommended to Michael by: Serendipity
Shelves: chess
This book is about the one thing Bobby Fisher undeniably knew well - chess (this review will not comment on his ideas on other subjects). It is an excellent tutorial for improvement, and will work for chess players at any level, or even those who have never played. Fisher's premise is that the object of the game is to achieve checkmate, therefore the most basic thing to learn is how to do so. For me, this was an excellent shift in perception - whereas before my game focused on immediate concerns ...more
David
Oct 03, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: games
Bobby Fischer Teaches Back Rank Mates would be a more accurate title, and a title that included the other two coauthors would be more accurate still. But never mind the cover. This is a handy little course in beginner's-level tactics. The coauthors use their method of "programmed instruction," a series of bite-sized exercises, each with immediate feedback to reinforce each lesson. The scope is limited, but the method is self-paced and engaging. It has me thinking about using programmed instructi ...more
Kevin Keating
Feb 14, 2016 Kevin Keating rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good book! Not a bunch of theoretical words and "gambits", it is really just a gresst number of examples where you get to figure out how to mate black. Reads pretty quickly, but teaches pretty well. Good to keep in the car where you can hit it in snippets.
Nebras
Feb 13, 2016 Nebras rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a nice mini book.. took me less than 24 hours to finish.. the only setback for this book is :it's almost too easy even for a beginner, such as me, but you won't regret reading it.
Yonina
Jul 17, 2012 Yonina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent guide for learning to play chess......by the world master Bobby Fischer
Ben
Sep 21, 2016 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
An informative guide to chess for beginners. Well-written and succinct.
Ibrahim Abd Allatif
very good for absolute beginners
VERA VANICEK
Jun 12, 2017 VERA VANICEK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently taught myself to play the game. When looking for books to read several reviews mentioned that this book wasn't very good for beginners. However, I found it to be wonderful because it's a hands-on type of book. It's based 100% on exercises with just a brief introduction. That's an excellent way to get your feet wet and practice to learn and develop your skills. Now I can probably look for something more focused around theory since Fisher's book has sparked my curiosity further, i.e. le ...more
Tsotne Putkaradze
Dec 04, 2016 Tsotne Putkaradze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
Okay books for complete beginners.
in the beginning teaches how chess figures move.
book introduces some basic terms and techniques, like: stalemate, interposing, pinned figures, discovered check, displacing defenders, hemming and sacrificing figures.

right after each introduction to term or technique, book provides simple - topic-related puzzles, with level - going up to 3-4 planned moves. answers to each puzzle is on next page.
Manjunath MC
Mar 20, 2017 Manjunath MC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book mostly focuses on End games. If you are new to chess, it'll be of help. For 1800+, can skim through the entire book in very short time.

Best part with the book is, the way it is written you always read the right side of the book, then flip and continue.
Stefan
May 23, 2017 Stefan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
This should actually be called "Bobby Fischer teaches how to checkmate", because that's basically the only topic it covers. Nonetheless, I had lots of fun solving all the puzzles in this book. The idea of programmed learning - which was new to me - was also pretty inspiring.
Tom
Jun 15, 2017 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very interactive, and the layout is clever, too. It seems so ahead of its time for 1966. I learned a lot about mating. This is all great. However, it didn't teach about opening moves or anything else, really. It was just focused on how to mate from the late stages of a game.
Bart Schuijt
A chess book for beginners with a focus on back rank checks and defences. I liked the pedagogical aspect of this book; after each theoretical theme the reader's knowledge is tested by a vast amount of game scenarios. Recommendable for starting chess players.
Sfsekaran
May 04, 2017 Sfsekaran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
This book is all about tactics, organized by specific tactical theme. Excellent workbook, good for low to mid level players, and highly recommended!
Ben Labe
Mar 09, 2017 Ben Labe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book consists almost entirely of tactical lessons concerning mating and avoiding mate. For the beginner they are helpful, while a few of them may even be challenging intermediate players.
Joe
Feb 28, 2017 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Resource. My chess game definitely improved as a result of this book.

It makes sense to focus on the end game first and establish the best ways to bring about checkmate. The vast majority of the book was dedicated to establishing whether the checkmate could be achieved from the example and then forcing it.

I would recommend this to people at all levels of their chess game. A Grandmaster could probably flick through and solve the puzzles in 1 hour, or for people like me, it took 2 weeks o
Steve
Jan 15, 2011 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess-books
The first 60 pages are as good a "How To/For Beginners" as you'll find anywhere and alone are worth the price tag if you need a How To. After that it's almost entirely back-rank mate puzzles which is a bit disappointing, although to be fair I got several of them wrong for going too fast and not focussing; My downfall during regular play as well.

Nothing about minor piece tactics & strategy...Knights v Bishops, advance posts and support points. (Also, this is the only book I've seen that value
Javier
May 24, 2013 Javier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book about chess I've ever read. I don't know what I was expecting (nothing, perhaps).

Very suitable for beginners like me. The book is centred exclusively in checkmates. I knew beforehand many of the techniques by experience, I just needed to put them the name (pin, discovered check, etc.). However, I've learnt new things. Until now I wouldn't have considered a queen sacrifice EVER. Now, I'm more open minded about it (as long as it leads to checkmate, of course).

I don't know if
Kushal
May 09, 2015 Kushal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s truly a remarkable book. It is a well-presented book for beginners in chess (like me). It contains various puzzles along with clear instructions. Readers will find themselves in complex situations, and they will have to come up with solutions and moves on the chessboard, like Bobby Fischer used to. It also contains puzzles based on Bobby Fischer’s own game. At every step, the author asks you a question. The right answer takes you to the next question, whereas the incorrect answer takes you ...more
James
Feb 21, 2008 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, adolescents, and adults starting out as chess players
A good introductory primer on chess tactics. It is basic, but at that level it works. The format is to present a chess position and ask the reader to decide how to achieve a checkmate or some other gain in a couple of moves; each problem is presented on one page with the answer on the next page, on the right-hand side of the book - once you've gone through it, you turn it over, as it continues back through the book on the other pages in the same way. The problems slowly get progressively more te ...more
Will
Sep 17, 2014 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute *BEST* book for teaching simple concepts that work nearly *ALL* the time, by one of the *greatest* chess players of all time. And there are some who should know.. that Bobby Fischer may have been THE greatest chess player of all time. And this may possibly be the greatest chess teaching book of all time.

Instead of lists of chess moves that require heavy memorization.. this book is a simple picture book with minimal text, that has a simple question and answer teaching system. And *that*
  • The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • My System
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • Art of Attack in Chess
  • Winning Chess Tactics, revised
  • Searching for Bobby Fischer: The Father of a Prodigy Observes the World of Chess
  • Modern Chess Openings: MCO-14 (McKay Chess Library)
  • 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
  • Modern Chess Strategy
  • Manual of Chess (Dover Chess)
  • Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953
  • Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • Chess Openings: Traps And Zaps