Start by marking “Would You Eat Your Cat?” as Want to Read:
Would You Eat Your Cat?

Would You Eat Your Cat?

Philosophers have been devising conundrums and thought experiments to stretch the mind for more than two millennia. They are motivated by the idea that the way we try to solve such things tells us something about ourselves and how we see the world. Reflecting carefully upon a particular moral dilemma provides an insight into our overall views on morality and can affect the ...more
Published April 25th 2010 (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Would You Eat Your Cat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Would You Eat Your Cat?

Joanna
Feb 11, 2013 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from a GoodReads.com giveaway. I entered said giveaway because of the book title and cover photo. That little cat is so cute! But when I got the book and saw that it had to do with ethics, I started thinking I should stop picking my books based on the cuteness of the cover and actually read the description. However, everything turned out okay in the end.

Would You Eat Your Cat: Key Ethical Conundrums and What They Tell You About Yourself was a little book with a lot of punch. It
Dai-wei
Feb 14, 2016 Dai-wei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A philosophically entertaining book featuring some very outrageously fictional scenarios which you may indeed find out to be relevant for important moral issues. The humour is well placed and quite British, yet the serious issues are carefully addressed and not at all trivialised (suicide, abortion, sexism, homophobia). Though nearly all "ethical conundrums" were not much of a stretch to my knowledge nor understanding of my own positions on ethics, it was delightful to read and even more to disc ...more
J.
Nov 18, 2012 J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.

Perhaps my hopes were too high for this book. It certainly belongs nowhere near an Ethics classroom. The explanations of the philosophical schools of thought are at once too oversimplified and too extreme. The offered results to the proposed dilemmas are frustrating for all of the wrong reasons. The conundrums issued are mostly contrived to the point of being subjective, and the arguments are restrictive, deficient and leave the read
Constance
Nov 10, 2012 Constance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Brief vignettes explore ethical issues in entertaining thought-provoking ways. The vignettes (and questions they raise) form the first half of the book. The second half is devoted to examining the philosophical underpinnings of each conundrum. My only complaint would be with the format which forces the reader to flip back and forth a lot.

Outside of minor format issues, this would be a great book to use in teaching critical thinking skills. The entries are short and straightforward - but each in
Kristi Fenske
I received this book as part of Goodreads first reads giveaway.

I enjoyed philosophy thoroughly in college. By far was not my major but it plays very well into my career as a nurse. Would You Eat Your Cat? by Jeremy Stangroom brings a light and easy to digest introduction to philosophy and ethical decisions thankfully we are generally not faced with. From preventing the Holocaust to banning drunk sex this book both entertains and challenges your way of thinking. And to answer the question....no
Elizabeth
Jul 16, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Accessible and amusing little introduction to philosophy in regards to moral standards. Set up much like the quizzes in women's magazines, it has an amusing story illustrating a moral dilemma, then goes into the theories surrounding these dilemmas and give a quick rundown as to how these form part of our world views. Very easy and accessible read.
Elske
Nov 10, 2011 Elske rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-away
For me, the best thing about the book is the cover.
It lacks depth and it discusses ethical dilemma's with a very black-and-white view of the world, while especially in these areas some subtlety is required. And next to that, it skips over a lot of arguments as well.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone, unless you want to have a book that looks cool in your bookcase.
Rok Kralj
Nov 27, 2011 Rok Kralj rated it really liked it
A simple outline of some key ethical dilemmas; the book could profit significantly from some more philosophical depth, yet it makes up for that with its clever wit.
Orsolya
Nov 18, 2012 Orsolya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, the-brain
Won on Goodreads Giveaways

Life is filled with moral and ethical dilemmas. Often times, these result in decisions which can be considered to be a double standard. What do these situations and the ways you handle them truly indicate? Jermy Stangroom tries to answer this question in “Would You Eat Your Cat? Key Ethical Conundrums And What They Tell You About Yourself”.

“Would You Eat Your Cat?” is not a standard philosophical or psychology book. Rather than present a scientific thesis (one can’t
Casey
Jun 15, 2013 Casey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a title right?

I am giving this book two stars but here is my disclaimer: I did not find this a particularly thoughtful or meaningful book, but I am sure some people would thoroughly enjoy it.

I thought, initially, this book was going to teater the line between deeply thoughtful and poppy fluff. It ended up morphing into a 200 page magazine personality test, complete with answers in the back of the book.

Some of the questions in the book include: Was it right to eat the cat? Is torture under
Adriane
Dec 17, 2012 Adriane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So this was a pretty compelling read, I think it showed arguments for some great moral dilemmas. However what keeps this from being 5 stars is that the book lacks in the moral aptitude testing. There's no analysis based on your opinions of the arguments. Only analysis of the arguments themselves. I would have liked to see more in the way of what your answers say about you as a moral individual. The given "moral compass" is just a terse recap of the arguments given not in anyway a detailed analys ...more
Taylor
I won this book in a goodreads first reads giveaway. I am not a big fan of philosophy and that seems to be the point of this book. Therefore, I was not a huge fan of this book. I do not like having to go from the front of the book to read the scenario to the back to read what is says about me morally. Also the quick decisions do not have any responses. I think this book should have combined the two sections and been a little more to the point. It was a quick read though!
Kelley
I received this book from a First Reads giveaway. My husband and I were excited to delve into these moral dilemmas, but for the most part we weren't too enthused by what was in the book. Many of these dilemmas weren't as interesting or challenging as we were expecting. Although, despite that, it was still an entertaining, and somewhat thorough, book.
Dianne Landry
Feb 21, 2013 Dianne Landry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a stupid book! The title caught my eye and I thought the premise would make it interesting. Boy, was I wrong. Not one of these so called ethical conundrums was even slightly plausible. I mean really, should androids be tried for murder? Fortunately, it was so small I had it read in under an hour.All in all a compete waste of paper and ink.
Molly G
Have not finished it cover to cover, but the introduction advises not to in one continuous go: keep returning to it throughout life. Having read much of it in sequence, and bits of it at random, alone for contemplation and in company for discussion, I'm taking a break.
Marjorie Elwood
A fun book that presents various ethical choices and then delineates the different positions and arguments that there are around those choices. A little repetitive at times. The pictures of the cats are very cute.
Jennifer B.
A fun book on philosophical conundrums for your favorite armchair philosopher. However, the promise of it telling you more about yourself falls short. There are better pop philosophy books, but it's not bad, and nicely illustrated.
Fil
Jun 07, 2013 Fil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Ignoring important issues and few interesting questions make for a very generous 2 star rating. This would be an ideal book for those who do not readily question themselves on how they think things through - admittedly not a weakness of mine.
Stacey Franklin
What I liked & disliked most about this book was the same thing - the simplistic approach. On one hand, it makes these conundrums accessible to a wider audience, but on the other hand I found many examples frustratingly short of all the info I personally would need to make a decision. 2.5ish
Alsha
Dec 13, 2011 Alsha rated it it was ok
Simplistic, and generally manages to dance around each issue. The moral barometer sections pigeonhole people based on very cursory assumptions. Interesting concept for a book, but more gloss than substance. It makes a better conversation piece than a philosophical read.
Brittany
Nov 07, 2012 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-won
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads.

An interesting read that shows some promise with interesting conundrums such as should we sacrifice one life to save five, but lacks the straightforward argument needed when looking at the philosophy of personality.

Bea Elwood
Dec 27, 2013 Bea Elwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a delight to read. I loved flipping back and forth from the questions to the responses, it reminded me of those choose-your-own-adventure stories. I can't wait to pass this book along and spend an evening discussing its various points. Great food for thought!
Morag Gray
Aug 16, 2011 Morag Gray rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People intersted in philosophy who are new to the subject
Recommended to Morag by: Jean
This is a good, easy-to-read introduction to ethical dilemmas.
Kathleen Dixon
Jan 31, 2012 Kathleen Dixon rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
A nicely presented book. It's lightweight, not for a person seriously interested in studying ethics, but for a person interested in what it's about.
Alannah Marie
Jan 25, 2015 Alannah Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book fun, quirky and interesting. I love it. I even turned it into a game for my friends. My only wish is that there was more in it.
Lexi
Jul 23, 2015 Lexi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. It's fun to sit around with your friends and actually discuss it. It really makes you think. It's only 15$ and definitely one of my greater buys
dan
Jan 05, 2013 dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It has good history and so called paradox but everything you except for the first chapter.
Vanessa Wolf
Nice short philosophy book, not much of a range beyond Western philosophy, if you liked "Plato and the Platypus" you'll probably like it.
Kevin  Cook
Eh, 2.5 stars
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Science of Sin: The Psychology of the Seven Deadlies (and Why They Are So Good For You)
  • Moral Origins: The Evolution of Virtue, Altruism, and Shame
  • The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher
  • Wickedness (Routledge Classics)
  • Justice for Hedgehogs
  • Selected Shorts and Other Methods of Time Travel
  • The Things That Nobody Knows: 501 Mysteries of Life, the Universe and Everything
  • Ghost Stories
  • Critical Thinking: A Concise Guide
  • Mayan Ouroboros: The Cosmis Cycles Come Full Circle: The True Positive Mayan Prophecy is Revealed
  • Normative Ethics
  • Principia Ethica (Philosophical Classics)
  • The Bailey Game
  • A Dialogue on Personal Identity and Immortality
  • Free Will
  • Writings on an Ethical Life
  • Heidegger and a Hippo Walk Through Those Pearly Gates: Using Philosophy (and Jokes!) to Explore Life, Death, the Afterlife, and Everything in Between
  • The Problem Of The Soul Two Visions Of Mind And How To Reconcile Them
Jeremy Stangroom is a British writer, editor, and website designer. He is an editor and co-founder, with Julian Baggini, of The Philosophers’ Magazine, and has written and edited several philosophy books. He is also co-founder, with Ophelia Benson of the website 'Butterflies and Wheels'.
More about Jeremy Stangroom...