Start by marking “The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) ” as Want to Read:
The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) (The Lord of the Rings #1)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  1,653,278 Ratings  ·  13,494 Reviews

Ballantine Books hurriedly issued the first authorized paperback edition of The Lord of the Rings in the United States in 1965, in response to the illegally issued Ace Paperbacks edition. The covers stated "The Authorized Edition of the Famous Fantasy Trilogy." The foreword was extended to include a few words about purchasing this edition "and no
Published 1965 by Ballantine Books (first published July 29th 1954)

Gerry Bevers I think the problem, Jim, is that you are trying to burn through the pages in search of excitement and answers. Slow down and enjoy the journey.…moreI think the problem, Jim, is that you are trying to burn through the pages in search of excitement and answers. Slow down and enjoy the journey. Imagine yourself hiking through the Old Forest, remembering the old stories you had heard about it, and wondering who or what made the trail you are following.

I see Tom Bombadil and Lady Goldberry as adding to the mystery of the forest. They are meant to stimulate our imagination and cause us to wonder about their origin and history, cause us to ask questions about them. They are like the ruins of the castles and fortresses along the way that cause us to wonder who once lived there. They are like the blue-stoned brooch Tom Bombadil found among the treasure in the burial mound of the Borrow-wight, the brooch that causes us to wonder about the woman to whom it once belonged. They are there to remind us that the history of the world goes back many lifetimes and is full of mystery.(less)
Anne-Marie If you want the whole poem, it has a few other verses:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of…more
If you want the whole poem, it has a few other verses:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.(less)

I refuse to write a review for one of the best books ever written. Asking a serious fantasy fan to write a review for Lord of the Rings is like asking a Christian to write a review for The Bible.
So instead I will supply you with this graph:
Khanh (the Grinch)
Never have I been so sad to give a low rating to such a revered book. I'm so sorry. I can't tell you how sorry I am.

Again, I'm so sorry, but I found this book unbelievably dull. I really am so, so sorry. I'm desperately sad about this. This series has been such a foundation for modern-day fantasy that I'm incredibly disappointed in myself for not liking this. I have always wanted to be a Tolkien fangirl. I've always wanted to learn Elvish and get completely offended à la Stephen Colbert but I ca
J.G. Keely
Authors who inspire a movement are usually misunderstood, especially by those they have inspired, and Tolkien is no exception, but one of the biggest misconceptions about Tolkien is the idea that he is somehow an 'innovator of fantasy'. He did add a number of techniques to the repertoire of epic fantasy writers, and these have been dutifully followed by his many imitators, but for the most part, these techniques are little more than bad habits.

Many have called Tolkien by such epithets as 'The Fa
Feb 07, 2011 Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, by Sauron

Hello. You may remember me as the title character of the Lord of Rings. I go by a lot of names: Dark Lord of Mordor, Sorcerer, Red Eye, Dark Power, Lord of Barad-dûr, Ring-maker and Base Master of Treachery (I use that one in my band). I actually object to Tolkien's chosen name of Sauron, which I understand originates from an adjective that means "foul, putrid" in his crappy invented language. What can I say, the showers in Mordor a
Apr 26, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really "cool" back in high school. I never made out with girls under the bleachers, or smoked under the bleachers, or did any of the other things under the bleachers that - I am lead to believe - the popular kids did. Instead, I maintained a low profile and waited for the teenage years - that wilderness of strangled thinking - to end.

In high school, as today, I harbored geekish obsessions, had a wandering imagination, and nurtured an appreciation for minutiate. In other words, I should
Ana {The Good Gif Fairy}
No words need be said.

(Whoever made this gif should be knighted).

photo aragorn gif_zpsn08i1o3g.gif

The Journey begins!!!

Courage is found in unlikely places.

What started up as an adventure oriented for children turned into an epic fantasy...

...THE epic fantasy book, anything else in the genre after this, born here, any other author writing in this field, began here, and even impacted in many other genres and formats.

Certainly, in The Hobbit, there are dangers, there is death, so thinking about it as a children’s tale is a much debated issue, but it’s clear
Bookworm Sean
Jun 26, 2016 Bookworm Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien, 5-star-reads
I’m not going to write a normal review; it’s almost impossible for a fantasy fan to do so in this case. Instead I’m going to give you a series of ten points to explain exactly why I love this particular book. Take from it what you will. There will be spoilers. Here goes:

1. The wizards!

"“Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Now I do love wizards. Who doesn’t? The wisdom of Gandalf is unmatched. He is, in effect, the leader of the forces of light. He
Jason Koivu
Jul 31, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give me a few friends,
a stretch of pleasant hills and an ominous wood.
Let us romp in the remnants of innocence,
free of the fear coursing through the veins of the greater world.
Give me the first half dozen chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring and I will gladly make a little heaven on earth out of it.

After finishing The Hobbit as a young boy, I needed something else, something a little more mature to meet my growing needs. Lucky for me, Tolkien had done just that in the form of his epic trilogy
Doc Opp
Apr 29, 2007 Doc Opp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fantasy
Tolkein's masterpiece is notable primarily for its historical significance. He basically invented the fantasy genre, and because of that all fantasy readers owe him a debt of gratitude. Many things in his books will seem somewhat cliche nowadays, but that's because they have been used so often since he wrote this book - almost all of them were original when this book was written.

That said, Tolkein is not a terribly good writer. He tends to go on in excruciating detail about trivial concepts. Par
Aug 25, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tonight on Anderson Cooper 360, we find ourselves in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and at The Green Dragon Public House, a Tolkien inspired pub. Our special guest tonight is none other than THE Hobbit, Mr. Bilbo Baggins, formerly of the Shire. We’ll have a moment to get to know the individual that has meant so much to generations of literary fans and then to a new generation of movie going fans in this last decade. Bilbo, how are you tonight?

Bilbo Baggins: I’m well; thank you, Anderson, and how about
May 03, 2007 adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read the review by Doc Opp; I think he covers it quite nicely. He explains how Tolkien was the forefather of fantasy writing, and why that makes his books important. He also shares his opinion that the historical importance sort of causes people to overlook that Tolkien couldn't write worth beans.

Opp posits that perhaps it has something to do with the concept of heroism being different in Tolkien's days than it is now. I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean I agree that his characters are a stud
As a single lady myself, I also love to put a ring on it. And shoutout to my homegurl Sauron!!! you go girl take over middle earth! Reach for the stars! With that balrog on your side you can do anything!
That main dude Frodo tho... reminds me of dat boi Harry... besides what does he need the ring for??
Anyways I gotta give it a low rating cuz theres 2 much frodo, not enough orcs
(Update: Want to read the complete review? Visit the article in Counterpunch!)

I'll admit this: the only reason why I read the LOTR Trilogy was because I was jealous.

The year: 1972. It was a time of ridiculously insane fashion: hot pants, maxi-coats (and pads) and rough-woven cotton shirts, so scratchy they felt like the sartorial equivalent of surgical gauze with chunks of wood stuck between the weave. It was not for the faint-hearted.

And of course, who was the most faint-hearted? Me. I was ent
Oct 12, 2007 Bryce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone. This is an essential read.
I consider the Lord of the Rings trilogy the best fantasy, and perhaps the best fiction, ever written. Middle Earth is a beautiful, rich, complete land to which Narnia pales by comparison (don't get me wrong, I very much like Narnia, too).

The beginning of the quest, which starts innocently but dives into a much larger, darker world than its protagonist, Frodo Baggins, could have ever imagined, is absolutely spellbinding. A small portion of the near-infinite background is revealed and armed with
Mar 06, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you have an old, worn piece of clothing? Perhaps that sweat shirt that you can’t wear anywhere except to bed or walking your dog? Perhaps it is an old blanket, a pair of shoes, maybe it’s a stuff animal. Regardless of what it is, every time you touch it or smell it, you feel peace, warmth, or perhaps, even home.

Know what I’m talking about? Good, that’s how The Lord of the Rings feels to me. I don’t how many times I’ve read the trilogy itself, let alone each book. I do know that I had to buy a
I've read this series many, many times, though it's been years since the last time. There was a period between 2001 and 2008 in which this trilogy was in the rotation of several series that I would read again and again and again. So it's pretty safe to say that this was a favorite.

But then in 2008 I joined Goodreads, and my reading habits have changed. I think about books differently, more critically, because now I review them all. And that has not been great news for this read through.

I can s
CONTENT DISCLAIMER: I was feeling very muppet-y when I wrote this. Please bear with me :D

This book is not for the faint-hearted.
I've never known a book to come with so much baggage, I swear. So first things first.

In situations where you find yourself entangled with a book like this, the things you have to ask yourself are:
Am I ready for this?
Do I have the time and strength for this?
Am I ready to accept the outcome of this? Because chances are things won't work out at all
Hasham Rasool
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

The Fellowship of the Ring was published in Great Britain by the London film George Allen & Unwin on 29 July 1954; an American edition followed on 21 October 1954, published by Houghton Mifflin Company of Boston.

I have seen The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I love those movies Alhamdulillah. I think The Two Towers is the best movie series.

I find language structure and literature intrigued
Ahmad Sharabiani
494. The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of The Rings, #1), J.R.R. (John Ronald Reuel) Tolkien
ارباب حلقه ها - جی.آر.آر. تالکین (نگاه، روزنه، ...) جلد اول یاران حلقه
عنوان: خداوندگار حلقه ها؛ قرمانروای حلقه ها؛ ارباب حلقه ها
مترجم: رضا علیزاده؛ تهران، روزنه 1381؛ بخش نخست: یاران حلقه؛ بخش دوم: دو برج؛ بخش سوم: بازگشت شاه؛ چاپ ششم 1391؛ شابک: جلد نخست: 9789643343224؛
کتاب حاضر بخش نخست از مجموعه سه گانه «ارباب حلقه ها» ست. در این کتاب « فرودو بگینز » هابیت جوانی ست که به همراهی یارانی از اقوام دیگر
من از سيزده چهارده سالگى رؤياى ارباب حلقه ها را داشتم. اولين بار بخش هاى پراكنده اى از فيلمش را در تلويزيون ديدم: موجوداتى كوتوله ساكن روستايى زيبا، با جادوگرى پير كه آتش بازى راه مى اندازد، و حلقه اى شيطانى كه آرامش دنياى داستان را بر هم مى زند، و سواران تاريك، و چشم آتشينى كه همواره ناظر است.
هر چند هيچ وقت نتوانستم تمام سه گانه را ببينم، ولى همين عناصر به قدرى تخيل نوجوانانه ام را تهييج كرد، كه هميشه سر در آوردن از ماجراى كامل كوتوله ها و حلقه ى شيطانى، يكى از حسرت هايم باقى ماند.

گذشت تا اين ك
You know how they say

The Fellowship of the Ring is proof of that! It takes the rule of show-don't-tell and flushes it down the toilet, because who would rather experience all the kick-ass action scenes themselves when they could just hear someone discussing them over dinner tables like they were discussing rice vs. potatoes? Pffft, no one ofc....

I mean, who likes action anyway. Why don't we just drop all the action in general and add pages of pages of scenery descriptions instead?

Glenn Sumi
Herewith Follow Notes On The Fellowship Of The Ring From A First-Time Lord Of The Rings Reader Who Was Enchanted By The Peter Jackson Movies:

•I wish I had read these books when I was younger! Tolkien creates an entire world, and it would have been so cool to have been swept up in this tale of hobbits, dwarves, elves, wizards, Orcs and goblins when I was a young lad. Then again, I’m sure it would have got me to play Dungeons & Dragons, which likely would have made me even more geeky than I
K.D. Absolutely
Jan 28, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books; 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
No debate: This is monumental!

Tolkien created a whole new world called Middle-earth. When Peter Jackson's movie adaptation came out in 2001, I thought that Middle-earth was some kind of an ancient city that was submerged somewhere beneath the earth just like Atlantis was a fictional city in the bottom of the sea. Well, that was before I attempted to read this book. When that movie came out in 2001, I bought a copy of the book with Elijah Wood on the cover but I did not get past page 50. I found
helen the bookowl
How could you not rate this book 5 stars? :D
Jan 28, 2015 Laz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: epic/high fantasy lovers
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”

This is a world of wonder that Mr. Tolkien created more than 60 years ago and it leaves me at a loss for words to think he created something that then was considered to be 'nothing at all' but now stil
Franco  Santos
Mar 06, 2016 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creo que su alguien menciona la palabra fantasía lo primero que se nos viene a la cabeza es Tolkien. Así que no sé qué podría decir de este libro. Pienso que todos saben lo que significa este autor para el género y la literatura. La saga de El Señor de los Anillos es una reliquia.

«Tres Anillos para los Reyes Elfos bajo el cielo.
Siete para los Señores Enanos en palacios de piedra.
Nueve para los Hombres Mortales condenados a morir.
Uno para el Señor Oscuro, sobre el trono oscuro
en la Tierra de Mord
Mar 18, 2016 Kimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There are some books that keep staring at you from you tbr of shame. Those books that everybody else has read but you. Yes, I'm talking about that Harry Potter book you skipped and only watched the movie, or that classic you had to read for school but just used sparknotes instead. The Lord of The Rings was that book for me. I felt like a fraud book worm until the day I finally read it.

I've been trying to write a review for this book ever since I finished it but the truth is

This book is everyth
“Not all those who wander are lost.”
I expect that that if anyone thinks or says the word fantasy, the first thing that comes to mind is Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings right along with it. I relish a good fantasy, but after watching and loving the movies, I was reluctant to read the book. Perhaps pure stubbornness on my part, biased by a crooked idea that the book couldn’t be as good. I was so wrong!

I loved everything about The Fellowship of the Ring. J.R.R. Tolkien 's book is not a
Apr 19, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I know crazy that I have only just read this for the first time! I am not going to do much of review because everyone knows what this book is about and how great and foundational it is to the fantasy genre. I will say it is one of the very few instances that j saw the movies before reading the novels! With that being said, why would the movie leave out Tom bombadil!! Easily my favourite character. Anyway some will notice the 4 stars and wonder why. I know that most people might disagree with me ...more
  • The Power That Preserves (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #3)
  • The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Swords Against Death (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #2)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Silver Hand (The Song of Albion, #2)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Issola (Vlad Taltos, #9)
  • Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)
  • Foxmask (The Light Isles, #2)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The Hand of Oberon (The Chronicles of Amber #4)
  • The Last Enchantment (Arthurian Saga, #3)
  • The Green Pearl (Lyonesse, #2)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

The Lord of the Rings (3 books)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”
“Not all those who wander are lost.” 16778 likes