Start by marking “Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)

Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders #3)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  23,985 ratings  ·  561 reviews
As Bingtown slides toward disaster, clan matriarch Ronica Vestrit, branded a traitor, searches for a way to bring the city’s inhabitants together against a momentous threat. Meanwhile, Althea Vestrit, unaware of what has befallen Bingtown and her family, continues her perilous quest to track down and recover her liveship, the Vivacia, from the ruthless pirate Kennit.

Bol
Published December 30th 2003 by Spectra (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ship of Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ship of Destiny

Hanne
This one is going down as one of my favourite fantasy trilogies.
Without a doubt! (This review contains some spoilers of book 1 and 2)

Part of it is very typical Robin Hobb (after 6 books I’m allowed to say that right?) she makes characters so incredible real they become existing people. I’ve said it before, but it’s just really true: they become people for you to love or loathe. But it’s also remarkable how mean she is to them all: she sends them through hell, leaves them there without food or d
David Sven
Robin Hobb delivers a highly satisfying finale to an enjoyable fantasy series. If you have read The Farseer Trilogy and are debating whether to read this trilogy next or skip ahead to the Tawny Man trilogy – I can’t recommend The Liveships Trilogy enough. I think there are little tidbits throughout to reward those who choose to continue in publication order.

One thing Hobb does well, is produce interesting, well thought out, multidimensional characters. Many of the characters who are arguably “go
Kaitlin
This whole series has been perfection. It's not often that after reading a 2* book by an author I will continue on with their work but with Hobb I am so thrilled that I did go on to the Liveship books after the Farseer ones because truly she's a miracle writer and her ability to craft convincing, beautiful and stunning characters, worlds and ideas is unparalleled.

This is book 3 in the Liveship books and so naturally I cannot give away the plot of the story but suffice to say we're once more fol
Nikki
Dara
Signs of an excellent book: Keeps you up at night. Makes you forget your body's basic needs. Makes your vision blurry from reading it constantly. Relationships suffer because you ignore other people to read said book. All of this happened to me in the course of reading Ship of Destiny. I could not put this book down. For days, I was completely entranced by Robin Hobb's world. And I would not have it any other way.

Ms. Hobb played my emotions like a fiddle. I felt like a marionette and she was hol
Kaora
I'll write a review when I'm not crying.
Damian Dubois
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. My favourite of the three Hobb trilogies I've read to date and even better the second time through them all. Simply fantastic.
Loederkoningin
One of the few books that render me speechless. No review of mine will do this series justice.
Zayne
Robin Hobb has spun another extraordinary tale, one full of wonder, adventure, happiness, sadness, drama, and politics. I can't believe I didn't want to read this series in the first place. I wanted to jump straight from the Farseer Trilogy to the Tawny Man Trilogy. I was in such a hurry to keep reading about Fitz and the Fool. I'm really glad I listened to my Goodreads friends and read this first or else I would have missed a great story.

What I loved most about this series was the cast of chara
Lisa
Full Review: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2014/1...

Here it is. The conclusion of the Liveship Traders. The first two books have laid out many obstacles and conflicts. Bingtown is in a state of disarray, Vivacia has been turned Pirate, Malta has been lost, stranded with the Satrap. And with all that was still wrong from the previous book, there’s much more that will happen. This book is full of tension, conflict and a dragon! Tintaglia awoke in the last book, so we get to see her in this and ge
Nicholas
So I think this book in particular is an excellent response to the current fad of "grimdark" novels. Especially considering the Guardian piece on it that sparked the twitter joke of inventing Grimpink as a female version of this. (tl:dr Grimdark is a boy's club that girls aren't invited to play in. Female authors and publishers disagree w/ this to hilarious effect.)

What sets this aside from other dark fantasies is that the violence and darkness are shown to full effect. There is no cartoon viole
Lisa
We've finally reached the end of this brilliant, emotionally bruising trilogy and I can say, now that I've raged, snarled and sobbed my way through it, that it stands above the Farseer Trilogy for me (sorry Night-Eyes and The Fool!).

The Vivacia is still in the hands of Captain Kennit, leading Althea, Brashen and Amber to sail off in pursuit on board Paragon. Bingtown is being torn apart by the Chalcedeans, as well as the strife between the groups of people living there, and having fled the dange
Rob
Feb 03, 2015 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have read Ms. Hobb's books, especially Farseer.
Executive Summary: In the third and final book of the Liveship Traders trilogy, Ms. Hobb expertly brings everything that built up for 3 books to an exciting and satisfying conclusion. Many people seem to skip this trilogy and jump right into The Tawny Man Trilogy. I think this is a mistake. While there is very little overlap with Farseer (and maybe Tawny man, can't say for sure since I haven't read it yet), it's quite well written with many diverse and interesting characters.

Full Review
I got sid
Debbie
This stunning trilogy comes to a dramatic close in this series finale. Each loose end is tied up; each character gets their own closure, for better or worse; and every intricate detail building throughout the three books is beautifully resolved.

I have seen this series get lots of comparison to the Farseer/Tawny Man series, however other than being based in the same world, they are nothing alike, and simply cannot be compared against each other.

Although I did find myself much more attached to the
Wastrel
The concluding part of The Liveship Traders, and probably the best, as the excitement and emotion are ramped up into an explosive conclusion, as multiple plotlines collide. More than an enjoyable read, it is a thought-provoking novel enlivened by perhaps the greatest character in fantasy. I found the various problems (the wrapping-up could have been a bit better; some characters and plotlines feel barged out of the way by the main climax entering) relatively minor; however, many reader may conti ...more
Jade
This book is an exellent finale to an amazing series. Hobb creates a world with characters that you live, you love and you can't detach yourself from - all key to brilliant writing. In this last chapter she doesn't just give you the endings that you want, she makes the good bits ever so more bitter sweet by at first presenting you with familiar characters who disappoint, rip your heart out and anger you. And I blooming loved every minute of it. My only challenge now is how to get back to reality ...more
Em
A truly amazing ending to the last book in The Complete Liveship Traders Trilogy: Ship of Magic, The Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny series. This series falls between The Farseer Trilogy and Tawny Man trilogy and in my opinion is a must read. There are some important little tidbits of information you'll need for the rest of the series and it's so jaw-droppingly good you really don't want to miss out!
Silvana
Sigh. Not sure what to say about this book. Ok, first of all, this is an excellent trilogy that will thrill most fantasy readers out there. The worldbuilding, the writing, the well-rounded characters, the action scenes, even the occasional humor.

However, similar with the last book of the Farseer Trilogy, the magic in Book 1 & 2 rather diminished itself. Heaven knows I love big, pillowy books that could take days or even weeks to finish, but hell, this one is overwritten. The force for me to
This was a fantastic colclusion to the trilogy about the Liveship Traders. It was filled with action and a lot of emotional scenes (Amber giving a certain someone a certain someone's face almost made me cry), and all the loose ends where tied up perfectly. I've been reluctant about reading this series for years because Fitz isn't in it, but I came to love many of the characters in this story instead. Not as much as Fitz, but still. And if I'd known Amber was gonna be in these books, I would have ...more
Hazel
Can't agree with my friends who liked this. I thought it was a disappointing conclusion. Hobb lost control of her characterisation. New characters were flat and old ones inconsistent, and I lost interest in them. I was particularly dismayed to find that the Satrap went to bed one night as a whining, self-centred, childish excuse for a prince, oblivious to his political milieu and woke up the next morning asking relevant questions and demonstrating resolve. (But then Malta had done something simi ...more
Benjamin Thomas
Robin Hobb concludes her Liveship Traders trilogy in fine fashion, weaving an incredibly vibrant tapestry of pirates, dragons, romance, danger, and political assignation. In particular, the second half of this book is packed full of action as the author deftly maneuvers her characters through rough seas, both literally and figuratively, and brings the entire epic to a thoroughly satisfying conclusion.
Essentially, the book begins, with bringing us up to speed on the three major plots that had for
Célia
Se não tiver em conta as versões divididas das edições portuguesas, demorei 9 livros da Robin Hobb para perceber uma coisa: estou francamente apaixonada pelos livros dela. Não é daquelas paixões que nos levam a ler todos os livros de um autor de enfiada, quase sem tempo para respirar, não. É uma paixão que me leva a vida real para bem longe quando leio estes livros, aquelas histórias que ficam agarradas a nós mesmo quando não estamos a ler. É aquela vontade de prolongar o prazer da leitura, de i ...more
Carolyn
I would have given this four stars, except for the fact that the middle 300 pages were so bleak that I considered abandoning the book. I just couldn't see how it would work out well for any of the characters. I was somewhat satisfied with the ending, but glad that I had already read both of the Fool trilogies and the first two of the new series, (The Dragon Keeper & Dragon Haven) dealing with what happens when the dragons hatch.
Tamsin
A great end to a trilogy that I have thoroughly enjoyed. It gets a 4 star rating from me though as unfortunately there were sections that I did find a little tedious because they involved characters that I really wasn’t interested in (the Satrap - who I wanted to pick up by his collar and slap repeatedly - and the Bingtown New Traders vs Old Traders), but this was only a minor blip. Storylines weaved together well, along with a few revelations along the way, characters grew (and were recognised ...more
Rebecka (is hilarious, shut up)
I have absolutely nothing to say about "Ship of Destiny" except this: five stars is not enough. If I could give it ten or twenty or a hundred stars, I would. Without batting an eye.
Olethros
-Remate a la trilogía que propone un tipo de Fantasía no muy habitual.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Malta trata de desembarazarse de la custodia del sátrapa Cosgo y de Kekki, Keffria encabeza los trabajos de búsqueda de supervivientes al terremoto que ha afectado Casárbol cuando le llegan informes de que se ha avistado un dragón azul brillante, algo increíble. Reyn y Selden están atrapados en el fondo de la cámara abovedada de la que se liberó a la dragona, Tintaglia. El Miton
Jamie
A very satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, although I think some people would say that the ending is too neat. This book is just as long as the first two but seems to move at a much faster pace as the storylines converge at breakneck speed. In the fantasy genre, amazing coincidences are not weak plotting - they're destiny. Especially if you put "destiny" in the title of the book.

I'm looking forward to the Tawny Man trilogy, which picks up with the same characters as the Assassin trilogy.
Kaelie
Richly detailed AU, absolutely stuffed with complex characters who change and grow over time in a very refreshing way -- characters I disliked in book one became my favorites by book three, and visa versa.

Great ending to this trilogy, and I was so involved with the characters that I really wanted more. I'm heading directly over to Hobb's next trilogy, which is taking me back to characters I got to know if the first trilogy. Book seven of nine, here I come!
Casey
Ship of Destiny closes the story of the Vestrit trader family and Captain Kennit. This installment is the same in quality as the previous books. I think it is safe to say that I have not turned into a Hobb fangirl, but I still enjoyed the reading.

I want to note that there is a rape in the book, and a magic wand like event that makes that character all better (for the most part). I feel ambivalent as to whether it was handled well. It left the ending with a darker shade than it otherwise would ha
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)
  • Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • Demonstorm (Legends of the Raven, #3)
  • Eye of the Labyrinth (Second Sons Trilogy, #2)
  • Lord of Emperors (The Sarantine Mosaic, #2)
  • Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
  • Shadow Gate (Crossroads, #2)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more
More about Robin Hobb...

Liveship Traders (3 books)
  • Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1)
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2) Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3) Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1) Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)

“That is the challenge Companion. To take what has happened to you and learn from it. Nothing is quite so destructive as pity, especially self-pity. No event in life is so terrible that one cannot rise above it.
58 likes
“Do you not see how strange and wonderful that is? That all history balances on an affair of the human heart?” 20 likes