Start by marking “Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)

Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders #3)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  30,322 Ratings  ·  785 Reviews
As Bingtown slides toward disaster, clan matriarch Ronica Vestrit, branded a traitor, searches for a way to bring the city’s inhabitants together against a momentous threat. Meanwhile, Althea Vestrit, unaware of what has befallen Bingtown and her family, continues her perilous quest to track down and recover her liveship, the Vivacia, from the ruthless pirate Kennit.

Bol
Published December 30th 2003 by Spectra (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ship of Destiny, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kaylee Brown
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Bookworm Sean
I loved the ending of this because everything was resolved perfectly, and at the same time the events have far, far, reaching consequences. These will no doubt affect the Six Duchies. This made the ending so strong for me because I couldn’t wait to read more. I couldn’t wait to see how far Amber has (and will) shape the world in accordance with her prophecies.

It’s all about the dragons!
'
description

The magic behind all this slowly began to reveal itself across the trilogy and, finally, in this book it w
Franco  Santos
No intentes alcanzar las estrellas cuando estés rodeada del ancho mar.
Reseña general sin "spoilers":

Con una trama que partía de una idea sencilla, esta autora me llevó por las corrientes de un mar agresivo y caprichoso hacia el surgimiento de un relato sinfónico. Un relato largo, que se toma su tiempo para golpear, pero que, cuando lo hace, el derramamiento de sangre es seguro. Y la sangre recuerda. La sangre es identidad, y una parte de mi identidad se fue a bordo de las naves que vuelan en s
helen the bookowl
Jan 27, 2016 helen the bookowl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did it! I finished it! My reading of these three 900-page-books has been quite a journey, but in the end I'm glad I stuck to the end and got a great reading experience out of it.
This is the last book in the trilogy, so obviously I can't tell you too much about the story. However, I can tell you that this last installment was quite breathtaking and intense. With this novel, I finally felt a deep connection to all of the characters, maybe because I've been following their journeys for so many p
Hanne
Jul 17, 2013 Hanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is going down as one of my favourite fantasy trilogies.
Without a doubt! (This review contains some spoilers of book 1 and 2)

Part of it is very typical Robin Hobb (after 6 books I’m allowed to say that right?) she makes characters so incredible real they become existing people. I’ve said it before, but it’s just really true: they become people for you to love or loathe. But it’s also remarkable how mean she is to them all: she sends them through hell, leaves them there without food or d
David Sven
Jul 17, 2013 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Robin Hobb delivers a highly satisfying finale to an enjoyable fantasy series. If you have read The Farseer Trilogy and are debating whether to read this trilogy next or skip ahead to the Tawny Man trilogy – I can’t recommend The Liveships Trilogy enough. I think there are little tidbits throughout to reward those who choose to continue in publication order.

One thing Hobb does well, is produce interesting, well thought out, multidimensional characters. Many of the characters who are arguably “go
Xime García
Jul 29, 2016 Xime García rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reseñados
4.5 en realidad.

Creo que es hora de colocar esta imagen que hace años que conservo como uno de mis tantos fondos de pantalla en mi computadora (sí, tengo una serie de fondos que se van deslizando DÉJENME SER) y que resulta que, sin saberlo, es la portada de uno de los libros de esta saga cuya autora me cautivó desde el principio.

description

Oh, Hobb, te amaba desde antes sin saberlo

No me voy a extender mucho con este libro. Tiene medio punto menos que el anterior pero es solo una cuestión formal. No me abr
Ron
Mar 13, 2016 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Fantasy, Hobb
Reading Ship of Destiny fulfilled the majority of my expectations. Being the third and final book of the Liveship Traders trilogy, I was hoping it would do just that. Actually, Ship of Destiny exceeded some of my hopes with an open-ended finish. Matching the standards of the first two books can be no easy task for Robin Hobb, but it’s something I’ve learned not to fear. She always comes through. Somehow the tension provided in these three books only managed to increase as the story continued, wh ...more
Kaitlin
Jul 06, 2015 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
This whole series has been perfection. It's not often that after reading a 2* book by an author I will continue on with their work but with Hobb I am so thrilled that I did go on to the Liveship books after the Farseer ones because truly she's a miracle writer and her ability to craft convincing, beautiful and stunning characters, worlds and ideas is unparalleled.

This is book 3 in the Liveship books and so naturally I cannot give away the plot of the story but suffice to say we're once more fol
Nikki
Jun 05, 2008 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
Dara
Signs of an excellent book: Keeps you up at night. Makes you forget your body's basic needs. Makes your vision blurry from reading it constantly. Relationships suffer because you ignore other people to read said book. All of this happened to me in the course of reading Ship of Destiny. I could not put this book down. For days, I was completely entranced by Robin Hobb's world. And I would not have it any other way.

Ms. Hobb played my emotions like a fiddle. I felt like a marionette and she was hol
Kaora
May 03, 2015 Kaora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll write a review when I'm not crying.
Petra
A fine, although a bit rushed finish to a remarkable fantasy trilogy.

The character development is still strong. I was especially pleased to see well-written female protagonists of all ages. However, because their world is very patriarchal, women do not have it easy and this book in particular goes to some dark places.

It includes a brutal rape of my favourite character by another major character. What made it even more heartbreaking is that no one believed her. From that point on in the book I ha
Damian Dubois
Jun 20, 2014 Damian Dubois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. My favourite of the three Hobb trilogies I've read to date and even better the second time through them all. Simply fantastic.
Michelle Morrell
Dec 01, 2015 Michelle Morrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, x-read-2015
Coming to an end of my first Hobb trilogy, I saved this book for a time I knew I'd need it. I hoped it was going to follow the first two, and be an epic immersion into a rich and vibrant world of magic, of adventure, and of humanity.

So, sure enough, coming out the other end of what was one of the hardest weeks of my adulthood, I picked up "Ship of Destiny" and I disappeared. Was it everything I'd hoped? Oh yes.

Such a satisfying conclusion. Characters, instead of following the path I assumed wou
Loederkoningin
One of the few books that render me speechless. No review of mine will do this series justice.
Zayne
Feb 15, 2015 Zayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Hobb has spun another extraordinary tale, one full of wonder, adventure, happiness, sadness, drama, and politics. I can't believe I didn't want to read this series in the first place. I wanted to jump straight from the Farseer Trilogy to the Tawny Man Trilogy. I was in such a hurry to keep reading about Fitz and the Fool. I'm really glad I listened to my Goodreads friends and read this first or else I would have missed a great story.

What I loved most about this series was the cast of chara
Narmeen Hyder
Sep 30, 2015 Narmeen Hyder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was devastating and beautiful at the same time. Tragic and haunting. Mesmerizing and so bloody fantastic!

This entire concept, dear WOMAN(referring to Robin Hobb here), your mind is a wonderland.

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)
Mark
Aug 15, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The inexorable decline of magic in the age of men and/or technology is a common theme in the fantasy genre, going back to something like The Lord of the Rings (or even farther back) where the power of even the immortal elves steadily diminishes and they sail away into the west. With there being so much apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic fiction out there, you see it in that way, too. The best of the world (magic or otherwise) is in the past, with the present and the future having little prospect ex ...more
Lisa
We've finally reached the end of this brilliant, emotionally bruising trilogy and I can say, now that I've raged, snarled and sobbed my way through it, that it stands above the Farseer Trilogy for me (sorry Night-Eyes and The Fool!).

The Vivacia is still in the hands of Captain Kennit, leading Althea, Brashen and Amber to sail off in pursuit on board Paragon. Bingtown is being torn apart by the Chalcedeans, as well as the strife between the groups of people living there, and having fled the dange
Claudia
Jun 29, 2016 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, z-to-a-hobb
I love everything in this saga: the story, the liveships, the humans, the sea snakes, the Rain Wild people, the adventures in which all are entangled, the sea battles, the universe and of course, the dragons.

It’s more like a fairytale, a bitter-sweet one – if it wouldn’t have been bitter, it wouldn’t have been Hobb’s at all. A story mostly about women, about their strengths and weaknesses but also about a magic universe and its hidden secrets.

As for the writing: RH could melt a stone with her wo
Shari (colourmeread)
EVERYONE READ THIS BOOK. I've never been so satisfied with the way a trilogy ended until now. This whole series has been quite a journey and Hobb tied everything perfectly well in the last instalment of The Liveship Traders. I had a goal of finishing this book in 2 weeks, but I finished it in 4 days because I simply couldn't put it down.

Ship of Destiny picks up right where we left off with The Mad Ship and it's everything you'd want in a book. I was glad the pacing in this book was a lot better
Lisa
Nov 23, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Full Review: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2014/1...

Here it is. The conclusion of the Liveship Traders. The first two books have laid out many obstacles and conflicts. Bingtown is in a state of disarray, Vivacia has been turned Pirate, Malta has been lost, stranded with the Satrap. And with all that was still wrong from the previous book, there’s much more that will happen. This book is full of tension, conflict and a dragon! Tintaglia awoke in the last book, so we get to see her in this and ge
Nicholas
So I think this book in particular is an excellent response to the current fad of "grimdark" novels. Especially considering the Guardian piece on it that sparked the twitter joke of inventing Grimpink as a female version of this. (tl:dr Grimdark is a boy's club that girls aren't invited to play in. Female authors and publishers disagree w/ this to hilarious effect.)

What sets this aside from other dark fantasies is that the violence and darkness are shown to full effect. There is no cartoon viole
Rob
Feb 03, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have read Ms. Hobb's books, especially Farseer.
Executive Summary: In the third and final book of the Liveship Traders trilogy, Ms. Hobb expertly brings everything that built up for 3 books to an exciting and satisfying conclusion. Many people seem to skip this trilogy and jump right into The Tawny Man Trilogy. I think this is a mistake. While there is very little overlap with Farseer (and maybe Tawny man, can't say for sure since I haven't read it yet), it's quite well written with many diverse and interesting characters.

Full Review
I got sid
Anirudh
Feb 24, 2016 Anirudh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Finally there is a Hobb book with a thoroughly satisfying end! Ship of Destiny, the final piece of a very complex puzzle which reveals so many secrets.

The story continues Althea's quest for her Liveship while the other story line follows the newly awoken dragon. While some parts of the story were predictable, there were so many well placed twists and revelations that leave you stunned and a few times even sickened.

The narration is excellent as always. However the length of the novel could have
Abdulrahman
Apr 16, 2016 Abdulrahman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another wonderful trilogy from Robin Hobb.

And this one has it all: Complex characters that feel so real; a fantastic world that drags you in; and a gripping story, with enough tension and suspense to keep you thirsting for more.

2700 pages of awesomeness.
Karou!
Jun 18, 2016 Karou! rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
5++++++ stars.

Que Diosa eres Robin.
¿Cómo puede alguien ser tan buen escritor? ¿Cómo? Me cuesta creer que este viaje ha terminado y que no haya bajado de nivel desde su maravilloso inicio. ¡Es increíble! He terminado esta maravillosa trilogía y sólo puedo aplaudir y adorar a Robin Hobb por estos libros. Han sido lo mejor de este año y ahora sólo deseo seguir leyendo todo lo que ella ha escrito.

P.D. Quiero más de mis baes.
Contando Dragones
Nov 16, 2015 Contando Dragones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta reseña va a ser un poco especial, porque voy a reseñar los tres libros de una misma saga a la vez. Voy a hacerlo así y no por separado porque los tres libros forman parte de una misma historia narrada toda seguida. Vale que se publicaron con años de diferencia, pero sus virtudes y defectos son los mismos en esencia, y sus diferencias, en mayor parte referidas al momento de la historia en que se encuentran más que por ser uno u otro tomo. Y por eso va todo junto.

La historia empieza con Las n
Silvana
Sigh. Not sure what to say about this book. Ok, first of all, this is an excellent trilogy that will thrill most fantasy readers out there. The worldbuilding, the writing, the well-rounded characters, the action scenes, even the occasional humor.

However, similar with the last book of the Farseer Trilogy, the magic in Book 1 & 2 rather diminished itself. Heaven knows I love big, pillowy books that could take days or even weeks to finish, but hell, this one is overwritten. The force for me to
Debbie
Apr 07, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This stunning trilogy comes to a dramatic close in this series finale. Each loose end is tied up; each character gets their own closure, for better or worse; and every intricate detail building throughout the three books is beautifully resolved.

I have seen this series get lots of comparison to the Farseer/Tawny Man series, however other than being based in the same world, they are nothing alike, and simply cannot be compared against each other.

Although I did find myself much more attached to the
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Prologue - Chapter 4 7 21 Aug 29, 2016 05:27AM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapter 5 - 10 4 16 Aug 28, 2016 12:33PM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapters 11- 15 2 11 Aug 22, 2016 11:32AM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapter 36 - End! 2 14 Aug 20, 2016 08:29AM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapter 31 - 35 1 8 Aug 19, 2016 08:28PM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapters 26-30 1 5 Aug 19, 2016 08:25PM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapter 21 - 25 1 6 Aug 19, 2016 08:23PM
  • The Limbreth Gate (Windsingers, #3)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)
  • An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3)
  • Lord of the Shadows (Second Sons, #3)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
  • Revenge (Trinity, #2)
  • Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more
More about Robin Hobb...

Liveship Traders (3 books)
  • Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1)
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)

“That is the challenge Companion. To take what has happened to you and learn from it. Nothing is quite so destructive as pity, especially self-pity. No event in life is so terrible that one cannot rise above it.
70 likes
“When you fear to fail, you fear something that has not happened yet. You predict your own failure, and by inaction, lock yourself into it.” 36 likes