Start by marking “On Her Own (Brides of Webster County Series #2)” as Want to Read:
On Her Own (Brides of Webster County Series #2)

On Her Own (Brides of Webster County #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  704 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Barbara Zook was devastated when her husband David was killed. Will she be able to raise their four young boys and manage her beloved David's harness store on her own? When harness maker Paul Hilty arrives in Webster County, Missouri, he finds himself agreeing to help run Barbara's shop. Things are going fairly well until widower Bishop John Frey comes a-courting Barbara, ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Barbour Publishing, Incorporated (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about On Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Her Own

Rachel Brand
This was a fairly average romance, pretty much like Mills & Boon or Harlequin set in an Amish community with a Christian emphasis. I normally really enjoy the Amish genre - especially Amy Clipston and Beverly Lewis - but this is the first of Brunstetter's novels that I've read and I can't say that it's up to the standards I'm used to. This little book was only 170-odd pages long, my first clue that there wasn't much to the story, and had a fairly predictable plot. Due to the shortness of the ...more
Katherine Beaver
Another good one...I like reading in the series and how she keeps the same characters. I'd prefer not so much time to pass between the books though.
This one was Barbara (Faith's friend from book 1) 10 years in future, grown up, recently widowed.
Janet C.
Barbara Zook lost her husband David. They ran a harness shop together. After giving birth to their son a few months after Davids death, she is too weak and too tired to run the harness shop eventhough she wants to provide for her 4 children.

Paul Hilty, who now lives in Lancaster, PA, returns home for the death of his brother. Paul works in a harness shop in PA. While home, he agrees to help out at Zooks Harness Shop until Barbara is back on her feet.

Will Paul's attraction wake up in him a desir
Julie
Interesting to learn about Amish love, but not real indepth character development. I might be being generous with my rating.
Smilinhere
Do not read the first page in the book ... unless you want to know the 'story' ... all thought it is pretty predictable kind of romance with a twist. The extra 'love interest' of another man brings an interesting twist.

Blevenda
Another good, quick read but much like Going Home (1st in series) leaves little to the imagination. Can guess the outcome from the beginning.
Deborah Maile
i loved this read, it was really interesting
Gabrielle
Barbara Zook lost her husband David in a buggy accident on their anniversary. She is left with three boys and a new born which she calls David after her husband. A year or so after her husbands death she is still alone and is really not looking for a man in her life. Then one day Paul comes back and he starts falling for the widow. Soon after that Bishop John Frey is looking for a "mother" for his four daughters. Barbara doesn't know what to do or who to choose. I am a sucker for Amish books and ...more
Michelle
A delightfully light read that wound itself quietly around the Amish faith.
Terri Tinkel
This is a simply written story about the Amish. It was interesting even though it was easy to figure out what was going to happen. However, there were some pieces of Amish traditions that were interesting. I could picture the characters and enjoyed reading through the story. It's a good book for a few hours of relaxtion. No big traumatic events ~ no heavy sex ~ no swearing.
Jeni
This was a good story, but it didn't grab ahold of me as strongly as the first book in the series did. By the time the main characters finally came around it felt rather anti-climatic. Not a bad book, but I hope the next book in the series will offer characters that draw me in as much as Noah and Faith did in the first book.
Helen
A wonderful book as are all of Wanda Brunstetters books- Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter first two Amish fiction writers I started reading- have read every book that Wanda Brunstetter has written- and never had one that I didnt absolutely love!!!!! I would defintely give it a 5 star rating!!!
Meadow
I love amish stories. Expecially when their not about someone getting pregnant and not married, or always running away form their faith. This was a wholesome and inspiring book.
Linda Dudgeon
Nice story..quick read..nice change of pace...interested because it is set in Missouri and wanted to learn more about Amish life...would read more of the series
Emily
this book was good but it didn't capture my attention as quickly as the first one... in my opinion the first one is better but this one was still good :D
Ann
Book 2 in Brides of Webster County!! I am currently waiting to read book 3 (on hold) Anything by Brunstetter is awesome!! I highly recommend!
Shelly Lampereur
I love reading all her books. All I can say is that they are all excellent reads
Debbie
All of her books are good clean books about life in an Amish community, and human nature.
John
Oct 17, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Softies, lovers, etc.
Recommended to John by: No one
Amish culture. Amish cooking. This is not my type of book but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Darlene Wilson
The first I've read of Brustetter -- enjoyable homey old story of Amish life --
Autumn Golob
Good, short, don't have to think love story with no bad stuff in it!
Laurie Mcclure
I always enjoy Amish books, and the simplicity of their ways.
Crosbee
not quite as good as the first one, but pretty close.
Marcy
Great amish book, kept me wondering what would happen.
Jc
It was good. Not great but pretty good.
Treva
Treva is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2014
  • Wanted (Sisters of the Heart, #2)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • Rebecca's Return (Adams County, #2)
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • October Song
  • Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...
The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3) The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1) The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2) A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins, #1) A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)

“God gave people tear ducts for a good reason, and folks shouldn't be too stubborn to use them.” 1 likes
“Our faith teaches us that when our time on earth is over, God will call us home no matter what. We just need to accept His will and move on with life.” 0 likes