Start by marking “On Her Own (Brides of Webster County Series #2)” as Want to Read:
On Her Own (Brides of Webster County Series #2)

On Her Own (Brides of Webster County #2)

Barbara Zook was devastated when her husband David was killed. Will she be able to raise their four young boys and manage her beloved David's harness store on her own? When harness maker Paul Hilty arrives in Webster County, Missouri, he finds himself agreeing to help run Barbara's shop. Things are going fairly well until widower Bishop John Frey comes a-courting Barbara, ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Barbour Publishing, Incorporated (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about On Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Her Own

Jerry
Feb 16, 2017 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More great Amish romance; this series is fun and uplifting.
Katherine Beaver
Another good one...I like reading in the series and how she keeps the same characters. I'd prefer not so much time to pass between the books though.
This one was Barbara (Faith's friend from book 1) 10 years in future, grown up, recently widowed.
Rachel Brand
This was a fairly average romance, pretty much like Mills & Boon or Harlequin set in an Amish community with a Christian emphasis. I normally really enjoy the Amish genre - especially Amy Clipston and Beverly Lewis - but this is the first of Brunstetter's novels that I've read and I can't say that it's up to the standards I'm used to. This little book was only 170-odd pages long, my first clue that there wasn't much to the story, and had a fairly predictable plot. Due to the shortness of the ...more
Julie
May 11, 2009 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to learn about Amish love, but not real indepth character development. I might be being generous with my rating.
Lisa
Jan 30, 2017 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara is Amish. Her husband has been killed and she is trying to raise 3 boys and a baby she just had. She is also trying to run her husband's harness shop. Paul comes home for his uncle's funeral and hears about Barbara; he offers to help in the shop until she is back on her feet. Feelings begin even though they are very different from each other. God works to bring these two together.
Sammie Mays
Jan 22, 2016 Sammie Mays rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
This is the second book in the Brides of Webster County series. I enjoyed this read as much as book 1 in the series. I was taken with all of the families in this series from the very start. The characters seem so alive and it's easy to place yourself in Webster County with them. Book 2 deals with a widow named Barbara who is raising four sons by herself and with the help of her family after her husband David dies unexpectedly. She loves working in their harness shop but is not physically able to ...more
Janet Crandell
Barbara Zook lost her husband David. They ran a harness shop together. After giving birth to their son a few months after Davids death, she is too weak and too tired to run the harness shop eventhough she wants to provide for her 4 children.

Paul Hilty, who now lives in Lancaster, PA, returns home for the death of his brother. Paul works in a harness shop in PA. While home, he agrees to help out at Zooks Harness Shop until Barbara is back on her feet.

Will Paul's attraction wake up in him a desir
Gabrielle
Nov 17, 2013 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Zook lost her husband David in a buggy accident on their anniversary. She is left with three boys and a new born which she calls David after her husband. A year or so after her husbands death she is still alone and is really not looking for a man in her life. Then one day Paul comes back and he starts falling for the widow. Soon after that Bishop John Frey is looking for a "mother" for his four daughters. Barbara doesn't know what to do or who to choose. I am a sucker for Amish books and ...more
Terri Tinkel
Dec 26, 2012 Terri Tinkel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, amish, children
This is a simply written story about the Amish. It was interesting even though it was easy to figure out what was going to happen. However, there were some pieces of Amish traditions that were interesting. I could picture the characters and enjoyed reading through the story. It's a good book for a few hours of relaxtion. No big traumatic events ~ no heavy sex ~ no swearing.
Jeni
Jan 18, 2012 Jeni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story, but it didn't grab ahold of me as strongly as the first book in the series did. By the time the main characters finally came around it felt rather anti-climatic. Not a bad book, but I hope the next book in the series will offer characters that draw me in as much as Noah and Faith did in the first book.
Donna
Oct 08, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an autographed copy of this book from Wanda. It is the second in the series, and was a good book. Barbara and Paul had a lot of hurdles to cross when he came to help in her harness shop. Bishop John wasn't any help either a very selfish man to be a bishop. As with all of Wanda's books it was a fast read and very enjoyable, finished it at 2:00am this morning.
Smilinhere
Oct 05, 2014 Smilinhere rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do not read the first page in the book ... unless you want to know the 'story' ... all thought it is pretty predictable kind of romance with a twist. The extra 'love interest' of another man brings an interesting twist.

Helen
Sep 09, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book as are all of Wanda Brunstetters books- Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter first two Amish fiction writers I started reading- have read every book that Wanda Brunstetter has written- and never had one that I didnt absolutely love!!!!! I would defintely give it a 5 star rating!!!
Meadow Frisbie
Jan 08, 2009 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love amish stories. Expecially when their not about someone getting pregnant and not married, or always running away form their faith. This was a wholesome and inspiring book.
Rita Mcallister davidson
Sep 21, 2015 Rita Mcallister davidson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Barbara's husband died before she gave birth to their last child. Her Dad was helping in the harness shop. A good read.
Linda Dudgeon
Aug 12, 2013 Linda Dudgeon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Nice story..quick read..nice change of pace...interested because it is set in Missouri and wanted to learn more about Amish life...would read more of the series
Blevenda
Another good, quick read but much like Going Home (1st in series) leaves little to the imagination. Can guess the outcome from the beginning.
Micki
Sep 09, 2016 Micki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Christian Romance centered on the Amish. Nice entertaining, light reading (listening). A good boook to listen to while driving because it is not really a complicated plot.
Ann
Apr 29, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-it
Book 2 in Brides of Webster County!! I am currently waiting to read book 3 (on hold) Anything by Brunstetter is awesome!! I highly recommend!
Emily
Aug 06, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was good but it didn't capture my attention as quickly as the first one... in my opinion the first one is better but this one was still good :D
Jessi
Jessi rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2010
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Janice Snyder
Janice Snyder rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
Kjmoon
Kjmoon rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
melissalynnmckim
melissalynnmckim rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Coleengervasio
Coleengervasio rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2011
Nadia X
Nadia X rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
Grace Flannery
Grace Flannery rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2008
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2011
  • Wanted (Sisters of the Heart, #2)
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • Rebecca's Choice (Adams County, #3)
  • Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3)
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2)
  • The Hope of Refuge
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

Brides of Webster County (4 books)
  • Going Home (Brides of Webster County,#1)
  • Dear to Me (Brides of Webster County, #3)
  • Allison's Journey (Brides of Webster County, #4)

“God gave people tear ducts for a good reason, and folks shouldn't be too stubborn to use them.” 3 likes
“Our faith teaches us that when our time on earth is over, God will call us home no matter what. We just need to accept His will and move on with life.” 0 likes