Start by marking “The Shadow Queen” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Queen

The Shadow Queen (World of Hetar #5)

Mourn me but briefly. Then find your destiny, Lara, my love, my life. Now let me go.
With those words, the spirit of Magnus Hauk, Dominus of Terah, leaves his body--and thus the fate of a nation rests upon the faerie woman Lara's shoulders.
While Lara's son Prince Taj is well loved by the people of Terah, he is too young to rule, and Lara must obey Magnus's dying command a
Published April 1st 2009 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Queen

Dec 06, 2009 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
A continuation of book 3 (The Twilight Lord) as book 4 introduced a new world & storyline and took place outside of Hetar/Tehran. About 15 years after book 3, a wonderful bringing together of plot & politics. At book 5 in a series, usually things are getting stale, but I found this book to be fresh in it's dealings with the politics & light vs. dark themes. I'm completely surprised to be delighted with a Bertrice Small series again as I'd given up on her books long ago because she ke ...more
Feb 25, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was amazing, she's a true gem, the world looks so amazing. magic does exist
Lara is back at it with her destiny and the drama that goes with it. This book has very adult content and should not be read by teens and youth. This is the 5th book of the series and it was as good as the previous ones. Lara and her crew never disappoint. Her husband Magnus dies in a freak accident and her 13 year old son must take over as Dominus. Lara is the Shadow Queen while he learns and matures. As usual, she has to juggle being Shadow Queen alongside the fact that one daughter runs away ...more
This was fucking awful, even without the florid, ridiculous description of a penis as, alternately, a love rod or manroot. Man. Root. I shit you not, here's some quotes:

Kaliq licked at the sensitive flesh. Then he sucked upon it, and groaned as she drew even harder upon his love rod.
"Do not milk me dry, you faerie witch," he told her. "I would release my juices into your hidden garden, beloved."

Her head swam with delight as his manroot filled her. Her heated passage enclosed him tightly as he pr
May 14, 2010 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not as good as the previous one's. I liked the first one Lara and the Twilight Lord. The Shadow Queen really sets the future of Lara's son and daughters. Taj is meant to the the new Dominus and is guided to do so by Lara. Marzina is the one I hope Bertrice Small writes about in another book. She is the sister to the twilight lord's son's Kolgrim and Kolbein. I do think the way that Kolgrim and Kolbein's story developed was well written and will set the picture for the next book. Prince ...more
This is the first book in the series that I read; it's interesting but can be overwhelming sometimes with the amount of people and things thrown at you (which may not be so overwhelming if I had started at book 1...which is on its way)

Like most of Small's books, I find the characters compare lovers. 'I loved so and so but I haven't loved them like I love you' kind of bS that just irritates me. But other than that, decent enough to pass the time by.
Aug 15, 2010 S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bertrice Small is not a good writer. For years I have read her historicals mostly for the one deviant sex scene she always included.

Now Bertrice has accomplished couple of great feats. 1) She has discovered her niche in fantasy erotica. 2) She has snuck erotica into my local library. They don't seem to realize that her genre has changed a bit!
Another fantastic Hetar book from Bertrice Small. I just can't get enough of this series! Plenty more new adventures for Lara to navigate through fill this book. Lara's life changes drastically from where it left off previously but the book is no less wonderful. Eagerly devoured the entire book and desperately waited for the 6th to come out.
Dec 04, 2009 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read the series in a while and stumbled upon the 5th book in the Hetar series and I really enjoyed it. I became familiar once again to the characters in teh book and was introduced to some new ones. I hope there will be more to the series.
Jun 08, 2009 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: rom
I was wrong to think I could read a Beatrice Small book again. Flipped through this one enough to get what's going on, but all the characters seem superficial. They don't have enough depth to care about what's going on around and to them. Or so it seems to me, anyway.
Michele bookloverforever
the world of hetar filled with ordinary humans and those with magic and the fae. complex politics. interesting heroine.
The next book in the historical romance series, "World of Hetar" ... excellent!

Warning: Book contains hot sex!
May 29, 2012 Linette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, First of all, I am really sad that Magnus had to die. I liked him more than Vartan. Lara has to teach Taj all he needs to know. Read this book-Don't skip out on it! It was fabulous.
LInda L
I don't really love these Land of Heter books, but I do enjoy Bertrice Small's writing -- especially the sex stuff! About like the previous ones in this series.
Good story. This is probably my favorite Hetar book because of the love story between Kaliq and Lara. Kaliq seems much more... well, human (as much as possible, anyway) in this book.
Erica rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Scarlett rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2011
Shirley A. Coale
Shirley A. Coale rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Alice Koolhof
Alice Koolhof rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2013
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2014
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Makita rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2013
Dol Rinderer
Dol Rinderer rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Jillian Howell
Jillian Howell rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Holly Kline
Holly Kline rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Taryn Nieto
Taryn Nieto rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Radmila rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Briana Lambert
Briana Lambert rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Linda Sciolino
Linda Sciolino rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2015
Holly rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 04, 2015 02:30PM
  • The Secret of the Keepers (Kailmeyra Book 2)
  • Ryder On The Storm
  • Immortal Desires (Well of Souls, #1)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • Bound (Little Goddess, #3)
  • Talon of the Unnamed Goddess
  • The Emerald Staff (Custodian Novel, #2)
  • Daughter Of Light (Merlin's Legacy, #3)
  • Mage of Clouds (The Cloudmages, Book 2)
  • Alliance (Alliance #1)
  • Sword of Flame (Artefacts of Power, #3)
  • The Night Bird (Lost Continent #5)
  • Truthseeker (Worldwalker Duology, #1)
  • Vampires Not Invited (Night Tracker, #3)
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • A Highlander Christmas (Pine Creek Highlanders, #7)
  • Blood of Sirens
  • Double Enchantment (Relics of Merlin, #2)
Bertrice Williams was born on December 9, 1937 in Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA, the daughter of Doris S. and David R. Williams, both broadcasters. She studied at Attended Western College for Women and Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School. On October 5, 1963, she married George Sumner Small, a photographer and designer with a History Major at Princeton. They had a son Thomas David. She has ...more
More about Bertrice Small...

World of Hetar (6 books)
  • Lara (World of Hetar #1)
  • A Distant Tomorrow (World of Hetar #2)
  • The Twilight Lord (World of Hetar #3)
  • The Sorceress of Belmair (World of Hetar #4)
  • Crown of Destiny (World of Hetar #6)