Start by marking “Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life

Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  41 reviews
"Keeping House" is a wide-ranging and witty exploration of the spiritual gifts that are gained when we take the time to care for hearth and home. With a fresh perspective, mother, wife, and teacher Margaret Kim Peterson examines the activities and attitudes of keeping house and making a home. Debunking the commonly held notion that keeping house is a waste of time or at be ...more
Published April 9th 2007 by Jossey-Bass (first published March 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping House

Sara
Wonderful surprise! In my experience, books like this tend to be both legalistic and sentimental, addressed solely to women who are assumed to be wives and mothers who wouldn't (or shouldn't!) dream of doing any meaningful work other than taking care of their families. I have zero tolerance for such books but someone gave this to me, so I thought I'd give it a chance. I'm so glad I did.

Peterson describes the concept of "home" in ontological terms and explores our universal longing for a home -
Anne
Jul 15, 2010 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kim Shaver
Shelves: non-fiction
If you love a book with an openhanded measure of perspective (as I do) this book will resonate. It's a reminder that we're human creatures. We live in dwellings, we take nourishment from food, we rest, and we understand the order provided by a family unit. It's a reminder of the pleasure and contentment we find when these needs are met with predictability. And so the work it takes to meet these needs, even if the benefit of the work disappears within the day (i.e. a meal prepared and then eaten) ...more
Erin Livs Livingston
"Housework is all about feeding and clothing and sheltering people who, in the absence of that daily work, would otherwise be hungry and ill-clad and ill-housed."

I love this book! I think after years of being home with children and doing the often tedious daily tasks, it reminded me what important work this is. It also encouraged this first born female in "good enough" with regards to the standard of housework.

I loved her thoughts on hospitality.

A timely read for me.
Brenda
From the intro to the book:

" ... keeping house is not just about 'making a home for my family.' Of course housework is about making a home, but a Christian home, properly understood, is not just for one's own family. A Christian home overflows it's boundaries; it is an outpost of the kingdom of God, where the hungry are fed, and the naked are clothed and there is room enough for everyone."

Elise
Delightful, encouraging book for a Christian homemaker. Neither patronizing nor dismissive, this gentle book encourages the reader to look at the day to day mundanities with half an eye to eternity. This is not another 'Shut up & make your husband a sammich' book.
Really dry. I appreciate her take on Christian homemaking i.e. not worrying so much about how great your house looks, but rather focusing on creating a haven, hospitality and keep things simple.
Jessica Snell
I liked it very much, and thought I'd share a bit from it.

Her thesis is that keeping people clothed and fed is something that Jesus endorsed as a worthwhile activity (she quotes the parable of the sheep and the goats in Matthew 25), and so it is an honorable activity that can be engaged in for the love of Christ. She says,

"There is undoubtedly more to the merciful service that Jesus describes in Matthew 25 than caring for the daily needs of the members of our own households. Housework is a begi
Created for Home
Dec 06, 2012 Created for Home rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who find keeping the home mundane, those who struggle with their attitude about homekeeping.
Shelves: homekeeping
Margaret Kim Peterson takes a look at the seemingly mundane tasks of cleaning and hospitality and sheds a new light on them. She shows how the tasks of maintaining one's home is is a spiritual discipline, how it relates to scripture and that what we do for the least of these is doing it unto the Lord, whether that is scrubbing toilets, folding and putting away vast amounts of laundry and washing endless dishes. She helped to take the drudgery out of the daily work and replace it with a spirit of ...more
Elizabeth
This book is a rather exhaustive look at house keeping. My take is that the author is attempting to get readers to look at tending house as an important, spiritually nourishing, poetic task. While I think it is important to not take the work of cleaning, preparing meals, and washing up for granted, I do think the association Peterson makes between these tasks and Biblical ideals to be a bit inflated. A pleasant read if you love minutia!
Kristi
A theology of housekeeping? Seems an unlikely topic to be interesting, but this book was simply fantastic in its exegesis and treatment of the seemingly mundane tasks of life - keeping a house, clothing and feeding yourself and others - to reveal their seminal importance in life and matters of faith. Great read, and I'd read it a second time.
Chelsey Hancock
Really enjoyed the first part of this book - it helped me find joy in everyday tasks and taking care of our home. But towards the end she started getting a little preachy and pretentious so I had to stop. So I'd recommend to read the first few chapters and then stop when she starts talking about specific home tasks and things like that.
Callie
preface : "Of course housework is about making a home, but a Christian home, properly understood, is never just for one's own family. A Christian home overflows its boundaries; it is an outpost of the kingdom of God, where the hungry are fed and the naked are clothed and there is room enough for everyone."
Anna
This is a book that I will read again and again as time passes. It's not a quick read, necessarily, but it's a solid, interesting take on "home-making". It's one I feel like I could learn something new from each time I read it. I really, really enjoyed it. Maybe something for a book club??
Natalie
This is more about the spiritual or emotional aspects of keeping house. It was interesting, with some really good points, but after awhile it was more rambling than interesting reading. I put it down half way through and never could get myself to pick it up again.
Shari
I was initially a bit dubious about picking up this book, worrying it would be preachy and anti-feminist. But a friend of mine spoke highly of it, and I decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did. I appreciated the focus on mindfulness, gratitude, and hospitality.

Ginger
Delightful and insightful--a fabulous way to look at home and the keeping of it. A must read for everyone, who lives in a dwelling alone or with others, who loves to keep house, or who has a love-hate relationship with keeping house.
brooke sellers
Sep 08, 2007 brooke sellers marked it as to-read
My friend Joy recommended this one. She said it's about finding the sacred in the ordinariness of keeping house. But not in a Martha Stewart way. She thought I would like it and she is probable right.
Claudia
The moments we spend doing routine and mundane tasks, over and over, and especially those tasks done in the art of keeping house, are of spiritual significance, the writer of this book says.
Maureen
i didn't want to like this book- but i actually did.

quick read. the author's premise is the holiness of housework. the author used the Word and tied it to different aspects of homemaking.
A thoughtful, spiritual look at house work. Helps me find the zen in things like dishwashing, laundry, and grocery shopping. A welcome perspective on the mundane, told from a Christian perspective.
Carla
In reading this book as part of a study on the spiritual discipline of 'practicing the presence of God', I found this book thought provoking. I appreciated some of her concepts on how our daily domestic lives for a sort of spiritual litany with their own ebb and flow. Most of the time she maintained that individuals and households need to form their own practices and processes within a broad framework. Every now and then, though, she would get kind of legalistic; for example,she asserted that it ...more
Victoria
I thought this book was an excellent primer on the ways that keeping house intersect with our Biblical call to provide for the hungry, clothe the needy, and generally live in community with others. The author takes a very Biblically-informed approach without becoming preachy, and there is also a good bit of practical advice and ruminations. I also liked that the author does not imply that women, particularly, or only full-time homemakers should engage in "keeping house," but that it is a task me ...more
Kelsey John
Apr 02, 2015 Kelsey John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kelsey by: Leanne W
Great thoughts on what a home should be (pages 27-29):
1. An Inn - A place where a traveller can go for simple accommodations and safety.
2. A Sanctuary - A place set apart for relationship.
3. A City - An active place with lots of people, not isolated.
4. A Castle - A place of rich, ceremonious beauty. This can involve beauty beyond necessity, but it can also just mean a humble place with structure and attention to detail.

When I read pages 77-81, I gained a better appreciation for the value and sat
Kelley
What a great perspective on "housework" (a relatively new word, a telling fact that I learned from this book). The author contrasts our culture's attitudes toward the work of creating a home with its practical realities and compares it to the greater reality of our heavenly home. Thoughtful, lovely, and ultimately very encouraging. Terrific reassurance that the everyday acts of feeding, clothing, and sheltering people are meaningful and important. I need to reread this book at least once a year!
Ellie
The big ideas of this book were enlightening and gave me opportunity to reflect on new ways to think about keeping house. At times, the writing is rather boring, (e.g., how to sort laundry) so I skimmed those paragraphs. The idea that housework is similar to the work that God does was intriguing to me. Much of God's work is about feeding, clothing, and cleaning up after others...again and again. Sounds familiar. I appreciated the author's insights. This isn't a genre that I am familiar with, but ...more
Kamani
This book is an eye opener for everyone who thinks house keeping isn't important.
Bambi Moore
Excellent. This book is so thought provoking and gave me fresh perspective on the spiritual significance of keeping the home, as a sacred duty. In any season of life, whether in singleness, during the "motherhood trenches," with older children, or with an empty nest...the dynamics change but the needs of making a real home, do not. Women of all ages would benefit from reading this one, but I do wish I had read it as a new bride.

Claire Wankiewicz
I was hoping for some philosophy - yes, really - and this book has it! Peterson actually says it: the deep down reason I hate and avoid housework is because I think it a demeaning job. There it is. Now I'll burn in hell forever.

Michelle
Gentle meditations, Biblical analogies and applications of keeping a home--- ministry to souls.
This is not a "how-to" but a "why to" book; something many of us will be blessed to affirm in our
lives and in the lives of others in this humble yet crucial vocation.
Renae Deckard
This is such an encouraging book about the mundane things of every day home life. The author compares the acts of home making to the work of the Creator. I will definitely read this again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Real Love for Real Life: The Art and Work of Caring
  • For the Family's Sake
  • A Mothers Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul
  • The God Of The Mundane
  • Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies
  • The Quotidian Mysteries: Laundry, Liturgy and Women's Work (Madeleva Lecture in Spirituality)
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • Mudhouse Sabbath
  • Reluctant Pilgrim: A Moody, Somewhat Self-Indulgent Introvert's Search for Spiritual Community
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • Love and Salt: A Spiritual Friendship Shared in Letters
  • Answering God: The Psalms as Tools for Prayer
  • Open Heart, Open Home: The Hospitable Way to Make Others Feel Welcome & Wanted
  • A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, & Mission Around the Table
  • Managers of Their Homes: A Practical Guide to Daily Scheduling for Christian Homeschool Families
  • Taste and See: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life
  • Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House
  • The Fabric of Faithfulness: Weaving Together Belief and Behavior
Are You Waiting for "The One"?: Cultivating Realistic, Positive Expectations for Christian Marriage Sing Me to Heaven: The Story of a Marriage Dark Night of the Soul A Handy And Systematic Catalog Of Nmr Spectra: Instruction Through Examples

“A household has to be tended if it is to flourish and grow. Housework is never 'done' in the same sense that gardening is never done or that God's providential involvement in the world is never done. Housework and gardening and God's providence itself are exercises not in futility but in faithfulness - faithfulness to the work itself, to the people whose needs that work serves, and to the God whose own faithfulness invites our faithful response.” 4 likes
“Human beings, who were created to live in harmony with each other, the earth, and God, now find themselves distanced from or at odds with their fellow humans, their physical surroundings, and their Lord. Redemption, then, consists in healing these breaches and restoring right relationships among all of these parties.
The things we eat play a part in this. The contemporary American diet is too often a case study in alienation, consisting as it does of foods that come from all over the world and are available all of the time... just as global communication technologies erode the time people spend talking in person to people they actually know, so the constant availability of foods from all over the world erodes the connection people have to their own local environment and the foods associated with it.”
1 likes