Start by marking “First Grade, Here I Come” as Want to Read:
First Grade, Here I Come

First Grade, Here I Come (Henry)

After the first day of first grade, Henry's not so sure how he feels about it. As he tells his mother about the cool classroom science corner, a new friend, and that he'll learn to read books, he begins to realize that maybe first grade won't be so bad after all. Illustrations.
Published July 20th 2006 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about First Grade, Here I Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Grade, Here I Come

Jacqueline
Sep 21, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
My son is really missing his Kindergarten teacher. This book helped in teaching him to appreciate all the new and cool things in his First grade classroom.
Justin
Dec 23, 2016 Justin added it
Fiscalini Nancy Harlincin here I come Chingadazo been engaging giving goddaddy the younger Bagno my Ankahee my dog Sheegog she Gambaccini Donk she gunks Yagachi nique donkey donkey donkey Jane
Dolly
Aug 08, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
With one daughter in first grade and one in Pre-Kindergarten, we read both "Look out Kindergarten, Here I Come!" and this book back to back. I hadn't given it too much thought, but there are some definite differences between Kindergarten and First Grade and this book is great for highlighting them in a positive way. Our oldest thought it was fantastic that Henry's class has a guinea pig, since her class does too. And the fact that she also has a desk with her name on it, just like Henry, makes h ...more
Ruhama
Nov 08, 2010 Ruhama rated it it was amazing
Henry is starting first grade this year, and has had a day of school already. His mom quizzes him about it, and he says something good and something bad about each experience or compares last year to this year. Like his teacher is a male this year, and he has a new friend. This is a cute picture book about assessing something new, particularly a new grade at school. There often is a big difference between kindergarten and first grade, so this may be perfect for those with a little anxiety about ...more
babyhippoface
Feb 22, 2008 babyhippoface rated it it was ok
Henry the mouse comes home from his first day of first grade unsure of whether he enjoyed himself or not. As he shares both the good and the bad things about his first day while responding to his mother’s questions, he realizes he had more fun than he thought, and that he really is ready for first grade. Brightly-colored illustrations in typical Carlson style add energy to this simple tale, which may just be the perfect story to share to calm first-day anxieties. Personally, I don't like Carlson ...more
Victoria
Dec 09, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-specific
This book is about a little mouse named Henry who does not enjoy first grade at first. His problem was that he missed kindergarten and his teacher was different. Then as he begins telling his mom all about his new teacher and what first grade is like he realizes that he does actually enjoy it and look forward to the new things he is learning. This book would be perfect for kindergarteners. I would read it to them at the end of the year as I am starting to prepare them for first grade. It's a fun ...more
Sarah Kiesche
It's the first day of 1st grade for Henry. In retelling his day, Henry discovers that even though 1st grade is very different from Kindergarten-there are lots of things that he loves. I like the sequencing of his day, although I think the book is a bit outdated as Henry is told he'll be learning to read in 1st. Great to read at the end of K to prepare students for their transition to the next grade.
Jennesy
I love this book!!!! It shows how there are some things that first graders fear and how they learn to adapt to a different environment. This would be a great first day book for first grade, obviously. The book demonstrates teamwork to help Henry read and once Henry got the help he needed he was reading in no time. This gives kids initiative to help others and allow others to help them when they are in need of help.
Brandi
Oct 25, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it

This book was very cute I thought. The little boy is scared of change and going to the 1st grade after getting so used to kindergarten. But after he gives it a chance he learns how much fun 1st grade can truly be. He describes about his exciting first day of 1st grade. I think this would be a great book to start if the beginning of the year with a 1st grade classroom.
Taylor Johnson
Aug 29, 2012 Taylor Johnson rated it really liked it
This is another book at about the first day of school. It is focuses on a mouse worried about the first grade because of how differnt it is from Kindergarten. In the end he realizes he liked first grade and is ready for the first grade. It would also be great to read on the first day of school, especially in the first grade.
Misty
Apr 08, 2011 Misty rated it liked it
This is a pretty cute book. I like that the story is told as a conversation between a mother and son about his first day of first grade. This would be a great book to read to first graders on their first day of school. It will help to alieviate any stresses about the change from kindergarten to first grade.
Mary Sesar
Dec 15, 2011 Mary Sesar rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, family
This book is about Henry who isn't quite sure he is going to like first grade. Things start looking up for him after he meets a friend. I would use this book to help show children that just because the first time you do something doesn't work out, to keep moving forward and it will get better and easier for you.
Shelby Usrey
Oct 03, 2012 Shelby Usrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Reading this book to first graders in the beginning of school would help them understand the difference from kindergarten! It would also help them understand that things will work out and they are capable to get through it! This is such an adorable book that I would love to have to read to my kids!
Makenzy Mascioli
Aug 26, 2014 Makenzy Mascioli rated it really liked it
This book would be perfect for a first day of reading in school for first graders!! It tells how some things are different from kindergarten and how Henry was adapting to the changes, and after all, enjoyed 1st grade!!
Latifah Williams
This is a great book for first day of first grade. It helps students compare and contrast Kindergarten and First Grade. After reading this you can ask students to write about their expectations of first grade.
Codie Gates
Henry is starting first grade. It is a lot different than kindergarten, but he has a lot of fun in his new class. I like this book because it shows that even though first grade is different from kindergarten, you can still have fun.
Kelly Triplett
Feb 04, 2012 Kelly Triplett rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book shows that it's OK to be fearful of the first day of school. It does a nice job of telling students that all classroom are not the same. Would be good for a summer read as students are preparing to enter the 1st grade or perhaps as students are finishing up their kindergarten year.
Sam
Apr 29, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-310
A good book for any student and their experience at school. Talking about the transition between kindergarten and first grade. I would recommend it for kindergarten students!
Sarah Metts
Sep 12, 2013 Sarah Metts rated it it was amazing
A good book for the rising first grader who may be nervous about the step up. Nancy Carlson's signature characters are bright and expressive. It's a great depiction of a wonderful day at school.
Denise
Jun 19, 2008 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book serves its purpose; it would be a good choice for children feeling apprehensive about school, but not one I'd use for storytime.
Leyla
Oct 07, 2015 Leyla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-by-jennifer
It really describes what first grade can be like. My 6-year-old read it to me. Perfect gift! I'm so proud!!
Betsy
Oct 05, 2014 Betsy rated it liked it
cute story, my son likes Henry the mouse, I presume because his name is Henri also.
a great read before starting school.
Carlie Elizabeth
Carlie Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2010
Jnase1
Jnase1 rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2017
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2014
Jessica Ramirez
Jessica Ramirez rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2013
Mrs. Mattei
Mrs. Mattei rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2011
Aspasia
Aspasia rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Beckie
Beckie rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Bea
Bea rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2012