Start by marking “Leaves” as Want to Read:

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  655 ratings  ·  123 reviews
It?s a young bear?s first autumn, and the falling leaves surprise him. He tries to put them back on the trees, but it doesn?t work. Eventually, he gets sleepy, and burrows into the fallen leaves for a long nap. When he wakes up, it?s spring?and there are suddenly brand-new leaves all around, welcoming him. Graceful illustrations and a childlike main character offer the per...more
Published August 16th 2007 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Leaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaves

Leaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsPumpkin Soup by Helen CooperFletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia RawlinsonApples and Pumpkins by Anne F. Rockwell
Picture books about Fall
10th out of 58 books — 35 voters
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsLeaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Busy Little Squirrel by Nancy TafuriLeaves by David Ezra SteinScary, Scary Halloween by Eve Bunting
Books about Fall/Autumn for Toddlers
4th out of 30 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Sep 03, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: most young children
This is a lovely book about a young bear concerned about the wellbeing of falling autumn leaves. I liked the beginning more than the middle, the middle more than the end, and (because of the bear’s expression) the cover might be my favorite part of the book. There are some humorous touches including showing how the bear manages to put the leaves back on the tree. The ending was a bit weak I thought but I’d recommend it for all young children who don’t need rhyme and a lot of action to enjoy a bo...more
Kathryn
Oh what a sweet little story. One can't help but love little bear and his concern that the leaves are falling. I loved it where it said "He felt the sun and saw the little buds on the bare arms of the trees...".
Jessie Bear
A young bear experiences the changing of seasons for the first time in this heartwarming book. The bear wonders at the falling of the first leaf, and awakens after hibernation delighted to find the first buds of spring. The format and syntax of the story is simple enough to use as a transition from board books to regular picture books. Large type face and sparse text place an emphasis on the soft and inviting illustrations. These endearing pictures are simple and accessible, perfect for a young...more
J Marsano
This board book has quickly become a favorite in the house, and by "house" I mean, in my toddler son's mind. The story is simple--a bear catches falling leaves, hibernates, and wakes in Spring. There are a couple of rhymes, which pushes the short story along nicely. Do the leaves in Spring really 'welcome' the bear? Yes, according to the story, which in my mind makes the story a little too sugary. Even toddlers can stand a better sugar/acid balance.

Sugar/Acid Balance (Will You Go Crazy if You H...more
Jayna
Ages 0 - 4

A little bear grows concerned when the leaves change and fall. Soon his bear instincts take over and he makes a bed of leaves in a hole and hibernates. When he wakes up he is greeted by the leaf buds.

This could be used for a story time about seasons. The little bear doesn't know that the leaves are meant to change colors and fall, but soon realizes that this is how the seasons work.
Robin
Used in Rhyme Time, 10/18 & 10/19, 2011.
Kris
This is what I need for a fall storytime - art that is big enough to share, a bit more of a story than just "the leaves are falling" but not so much that littles can't follow along, and a sense of wonder about the changing seasons. It's Bear's first fall and he is surprised when the leaves fall off the trees. He wonders if they are ok. Since he can't stick them back on the trees, he puts a bunch in his cave. The leaves keep him cozy in the winter and in the spring, when the new leaves are buddin...more
Melissa
By David Ezra Stein

Genre: Concept

The young bear discovers the different seasons. He thinks there is something seriously wrong when the leaves begin to fall off the trees but he soon learns that this happens once a year.

Critique:
A. The area for critique is the illustrations.
B. The author uses sketches and then adds water colors. This makes the story fun for children. The pictures are vibrant and easy to understand without the words. The author frames some of the illustrations. Some illust...more
Meghan
Sep 22, 2014 Meghan added it
Shelves: fiction, fall-books
This is a great book that teaches about leaves falling and what happens to them. This would be good for younger grades, because they might have some of the same concerns the bear has, and then they get to see at the end how the leaves bloom again. This is also a great book to use in fall, and teachers could even incorporate an activity finding leaves outside.
Liesl
The illustrations seem a little slapdash and leave a little to be desired, but the sweet, simple story more than makes up for it. I went into this one mostly blind and was not expecting an exploration of the cycle of seasons, which was a pleasant surprise. My son is obsessed with leaves right now, so this book really hit the spot!
Chelsea Gail Smith
Leaves written and illustrated by David Ezra Stein is a cute story and learning tool for young children. The story is about a young bear in his first year of life. He sees that a leaf falls to the ground, then another, and then another. You could tell the bear was sad that all the leaves had fallen and even tried to put them back on the trees. Then Stein teaches the reader about hibernation. The bear starts to grow very tired, and uses the leaves to stuff a hole where he will sleep and hibernate...more
Georgiana
Simple, but gratifying story.

It was his first year.
Everything was going well.
until the first leaf fell.
"Are you okay?" he wondered.
Then...a red one fell, a yellow one fell,
all over his island, the leaves were falling.
He tried to catch them and put them back on...
but it was not the same.
He sat beneath a tree and watched them go, all around.
But he grew sleepy, and so...
he found a hole and filled it with leaves,
and went to sleep, just as the wind began to blow.
Winter came.
He slept, snug in the gr...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

This is sweet, simple little story, with absolutely delightful illustrations.
Amanda
It's an ok children's book at describe the leaves and season change. My daughter might just be too young for this book, which is why I don't love it.
Virginia Carlston Whiting
I love this sweet, simple story and its expressive illustrations. It's tender to me at this time in my life as I watch my son experience his "firsts." To think that in a few months he'll witness autumn for the first time!

It also hits a childhood chord in me: I was a "worrier" of a kid. This book reminds me that things are bigger than I can see, that they have a way of working out and that I should stop and appreciate the wonder of seemingly-ordinary things like the changing of the seasons and t...more
Kathy Cowley
Admittedly, I liked this picture book more than my daughter did--but I think it's one she would really enjoy in a year or two. Basically, a bear struggles to deal with life change as he watches his dear friends, the leaves, fall to the ground. While partaking of the classic story line of the changing seasons, this book explores the idea of change, life, and renewal through beautiful illustrations that look like they're ink drawn. I found myself quite attached to the bear in wanting the leaves to...more
Elizabeth Meadows
Darling! Baby bear with a compassionate soul witnesses the circle of life of trees.
Destiny Dawn Long
A really lovely story about the cycles of nature. It's bear's first year and he's alarmed to see the leaves falling off the trees. But soon enough he's tired. While he hibernates, winter comes and goes. Then when he awakes in the spring, he sees that there are buds unfurling on the trees--and is happy to welcome back the leaves that he loves so much.

This is a great book to read to young children. There's just the right amount of text on the page to tell the story, without toddlers growing distr...more
Liz Todd
Simple little story about a bear's first winter.
Jessica Vu
I used this book to do a sequencing activity with 1st grade students. I used 4 of the pictures, and wrote text with them similar to the book. I cut out leaves in red, orange, and yellow and had the studetns paste the events to the leaves, but them in order and staple them together. They had an extra leaf on top to color the front of their book and put a title on it.

You can mention that the title is an irregular plural; leaf/leaves

Good to teach while teaching seasons; fall,winter, spring

Discuss t...more
Japonika Finch
I would used this book to do a sequencing activity with 1st grade students. I would used 4 of the pictures from the book, and write text that is similar to the text of the book. I would then cut out leaves in red, orange, and yellow and have the studetns paste the events to the leaves, but to put them in order and staple them together. They will have an extra leaf on top to color the front of their book and put a title on it. Also could be use to teach about the seasons.
Ashley Viox
I really liked this book! The pictures in the book went great with the text. This book is a very easy read. I think you could read this book to a kindergarden class when learning about seasons or about different animals, you could even introduce animals that hibernate with this book. The book is a very low level, but i think it is a great book for a read aloud. Overall i think that this was a great book and I think i will read this book to my future class.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
A young bear is baffled by the leaves that are falling from the trees. He wants to help, but he doesn't know how to help the leaves.

This is such a sweet tale about the changing of seasons. To young ones, the change is mysterious and maybe worrisome. Stein weaves this simple story and makes reader rejoice with the change of weather.

Theme: Leaves
Additional themes: bear, hibernation, hello/goodbye

Reviewed from a library copy.
Ramsey Hootman
Both I and my 20-month-old son love this book. The pictures are delightful and I love the style of the writing. Very simple and straightforward, but also poetic. The first line I especially love: "It was his first year." Not a trite, overexplain-y "It was Bubba Bear's first fall," just... "his." As the most excellent picture books do, it leaves a great deal of storytelling to the pictures. Excellent all around.
Stephanie Watson
This book is great for young students who are learning about the seasons. With this book, you have the ability to talk about why the seasons change, and why some animals hibernate during the winter.
Westerville
Short text suitable for youngest children -- bear is disturbed when the leaves fall off the trees, even tries to put them back. But sleep overcomes him (so not too worried), and all is well when he wakes in the spring. - Robin, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Kathryn
Cute illustrations and a sweet story of the changing seasons and one bear's concern for falling leaves. Very simple, but still enjoyable. I think Fletcher and the Falling Leaves is a similar theme (without the entire cycle of the seasons) and a superior book, though.
Olivia Bailey
The book shows the students the season through a bears point of view.
It can teach feelings: the bear is glad to see the leaves (his friends), he tries to save them when they are falling (silly), he is confused on why they are falling, he uses tem to sleep on, happy to see his friends back in the spring.
Book teaches bears hibernation.
Erin Saflarski
This simple, charming children's picture book follows the story of a young bear's first fall. It tells the story of what bear's do when it gets cold out and how things change in nature during the season of fall. This book is full of childlike graceful illustrations that teach children about the changing seasons. Appropriate for children ages 1-8
Parry Rigney
This is a perfect picture book about the changing of the seasons from a young bear's point of view. The text is very simple and the pictures are sublime. Wonderful for a storytime - but it's on the small side, so to really appreciate the illustrations I recommend enjoying it snuggled up with a little one. Ages 2 - 6...
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • Red Sled
  • Big Snow
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Waiting for Winter
David Ezra Stein is an author-illustrator whose previous books include LEAVES, winner of an Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Award. He lives in Kew Gardens, New York.
More about David Ezra Stein...
Interrupting Chicken Pouch! Ol' Mama Squirrel Dinosaur Kisses Because Amelia Smiled