Start by marking “Leaves” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,244 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
It?s a young bear?s first autumn, and the falling leaves surprise him. He tries to put them back on the trees, but it doesn?t work. Eventually, he gets sleepy, and burrows into the fallen leaves for a long nap. When he wakes up, it?s spring?and there are suddenly brand-new leaves all around, welcoming him. Graceful illustrations and a childlike main character offer the per ...more
Published August 16th 2007 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Leaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaves

Lisa Vegan
Sep 03, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: most young children
This is a lovely book about a young bear concerned about the wellbeing of falling autumn leaves. I liked the beginning more than the middle, the middle more than the end, and (because of the bear’s expression) the cover might be my favorite part of the book. There are some humorous touches including showing how the bear manages to put the leaves back on the tree. The ending was a bit weak I thought but I’d recommend it for all young children who don’t need rhyme and a lot of action to enjoy a bo ...more
Kathryn
Sep 09, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Oh what a sweet little story. One can't help but love little bear and his concern that the leaves are falling. I loved it where it said "He felt the sun and saw the little buds on the bare arms of the trees...".
Jessie Bear
A young bear experiences the changing of seasons for the first time in this heartwarming book. The bear wonders at the falling of the first leaf, and awakens after hibernation delighted to find the first buds of spring. The format and syntax of the story is simple enough to use as a transition from board books to regular picture books. Large type face and sparse text place an emphasis on the soft and inviting illustrations. These endearing pictures are simple and accessible, perfect for a young ...more
J Marsano
Jan 09, 2013 J Marsano rated it liked it
Shelves: infant-toddler
This board book has quickly become a favorite in the house, and by "house" I mean, in my toddler son's mind. The story is simple--a bear catches falling leaves, hibernates, and wakes in Spring. There are a couple of rhymes, which pushes the short story along nicely. Do the leaves in Spring really 'welcome' the bear? Yes, according to the story, which in my mind makes the story a little too sugary. Even toddlers can stand a better sugar/acid balance.

Sugar/Acid Balance (Will You Go Crazy if You H
Jayna
Jul 06, 2013 Jayna rated it liked it
Ages 0 - 4

A little bear grows concerned when the leaves change and fall. Soon his bear instincts take over and he makes a bed of leaves in a hole and hibernates. When he wakes up he is greeted by the leaf buds.

This could be used for a story time about seasons. The little bear doesn't know that the leaves are meant to change colors and fall, but soon realizes that this is how the seasons work.
Robin
Oct 19, 2011 Robin rated it it was amazing
Short text suitable for youngest children -- bear is disturbed when the leaves fall off the trees, even tries to put them back. But sleep overcomes him (so not too worried), and all is well when he wakes in the spring.
Used in Rhyme Time, 10/18 & 10/19, 2011.
Adrienne
Dec 17, 2016 Adrienne rated it it was ok

LEAVES
----------------------
This is a cute story.

Kids and little ones, as this one-year-old bear is described to be, often misattribute human-like characteristics to inanimate objects. So, the story mostly makes sense in context.

However, the last page, which states that the bear thinks the leaves "welcome" him, is just bizarre. Or saccharine. Or confusing to small children. Take your pick.
Ame
Oct 24, 2016 Ame rated it really liked it
I don't know if my kids quite grasp seasons yet, but the illustrations and sentiment are both lovely.
Joanne Roberts
Oct 26, 2016 Joanne Roberts rated it really liked it
I liked the gentle style of this book. It was perhaps a bit mundane, but the illustrations and layout make this a terrific cuddle-up-cause-it's-autumn book.
Anthony
Nov 29, 2016 Anthony rated it really liked it
Reminds me very much of Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day!
Casandria
More of a story about a bear's year than anything else.
Fall
seasons
Kelly Risinger
Cute. The same plot as Fletcher and the Falling Leaves story but like this one better.
Oct 06, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
By David Ezra Stein

Genre: Concept

The young bear discovers the different seasons. He thinks there is something seriously wrong when the leaves begin to fall off the trees but he soon learns that this happens once a year.

Critique:
A. The area for critique is the illustrations.
B. The author uses sketches and then adds water colors. This makes the story fun for children. The pictures are vibrant and easy to understand without the words. The author frames some of the illustrations. Some illust
Elizabeth Petrenko
This story about a bear observing the leaves beginning to fall from the trees in Autumn is a great book for young children who are also noticing changes in the seasons. The bear is concerned and attempts to "fix" the trees by reattaching the leaves, but to no avail. Eventually the bear collects a large pile of leaves and falls asleep in his den, slumbering for the entire winter, only to wake up in the Spring. It is then that he realizes that new buds are growing from the branches and that the le ...more
Chelsea Gail Smith
Feb 07, 2013 Chelsea Gail Smith rated it really liked it
Leaves written and illustrated by David Ezra Stein is a cute story and learning tool for young children. The story is about a young bear in his first year of life. He sees that a leaf falls to the ground, then another, and then another. You could tell the bear was sad that all the leaves had fallen and even tried to put them back on the trees. Then Stein teaches the reader about hibernation. The bear starts to grow very tired, and uses the leaves to stuff a hole where he will sleep and hibernate ...more
Georgiana
Simple, but gratifying story.

It was his first year.
Everything was going well.
until the first leaf fell.
"Are you okay?" he wondered.
Then...a red one fell, a yellow one fell,
all over his island, the leaves were falling.
He tried to catch them and put them back on...
but it was not the same.
He sat beneath a tree and watched them go, all around.
But he grew sleepy, and so...
he found a hole and filled it with leaves,
and went to sleep, just as the wind began to blow.
Winter came.
He slept, snug in the gr
Lisa
Apr 03, 2016 Lisa added it
Shelves: author-study
Summary: A bear is enjoying his first year of life until the leaves start falling from the trees. He is unsure of what is going on and panics a bit before he gathers up the leaves and makes a den for himself to hibernate for the winter. In the spring, when he awakens, the leaves are growing once again.

Review: This story tells a simple story of curiosity about something new and unknown. The bear is childlike in the way that he reacts to the leaves falling, and it seems almost silly, something chi
Jana
May 09, 2016 Jana rated it really liked it
This is such a sweet picture book. With very simple text and heartwarming illustrations, the author captures the magic and wonder of the changing seasons. It's Bear's first year, so he has a lot to learn. He becomes very worried when the leaves start to fall off the trees. In one adorable scene, he's trying to put them back on the trees. He becomes sleepy, digs a hole and stuffs the leaves inside. He goes in and falls asleep. He gets a very happy surprise when he comes out in the spring. The ill ...more
Virginia Carlston Whiting
Jul 09, 2011 Virginia Carlston Whiting rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love this sweet, simple story and its expressive illustrations. It's tender to me at this time in my life as I watch my son experience his "firsts." To think that in a few months he'll witness autumn for the first time!

It also hits a childhood chord in me: I was a "worrier" of a kid. This book reminds me that things are bigger than I can see, that they have a way of working out and that I should stop and appreciate the wonder of seemingly-ordinary things like the changing of the seasons and t
Katherine Cowley
Oct 26, 2011 Katherine Cowley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Admittedly, I liked this picture book more than my daughter did--but I think it's one she would really enjoy in a year or two. Basically, a bear struggles to deal with life change as he watches his dear friends, the leaves, fall to the ground. While partaking of the classic story line of the changing seasons, this book explores the idea of change, life, and renewal through beautiful illustrations that look like they're ink drawn. I found myself quite attached to the bear in wanting the leaves to ...more
Jessica Vu
I used this book to do a sequencing activity with 1st grade students. I used 4 of the pictures, and wrote text with them similar to the book. I cut out leaves in red, orange, and yellow and had the studetns paste the events to the leaves, but them in order and staple them together. They had an extra leaf on top to color the front of their book and put a title on it.

You can mention that the title is an irregular plural; leaf/leaves

Good to teach while teaching seasons; fall,winter, spring

Discuss t
Destiny Dawn Long
A really lovely story about the cycles of nature. It's bear's first year and he's alarmed to see the leaves falling off the trees. But soon enough he's tired. While he hibernates, winter comes and goes. Then when he awakes in the spring, he sees that there are buds unfurling on the trees--and is happy to welcome back the leaves that he loves so much.

This is a great book to read to young children. There's just the right amount of text on the page to tell the story, without toddlers growing distr
Kristen
This is what I need for a fall storytime - art that is big enough to share, a bit more of a story than just "the leaves are falling" but not so much that littles can't follow along, and a sense of wonder about the changing seasons. It's Bear's first fall and he is surprised when the leaves fall off the trees. He wonders if they are ok. Since he can't stick them back on the trees, he puts a bunch in his cave. The leaves keep him cozy in the winter and in the spring, when the new leaves are buddin ...more
Ezekiel
With beautiful water color illustrations and very simple text, Leaves tells the story of a bear experiencing his first fall and winter. Specifically his noticing the leaves falling off the trees and his subsequent hibernation. It's subtly emotional, as Bear is worried whether the leaves should be still on the trees. I can imagine a parent liking to have it around as it can both show that change isn't always bad, and of course start a kid down the path of noticing how seasons/nature works.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
A young bear is baffled by the leaves that are falling from the trees. He wants to help, but he doesn't know how to help the leaves.

This is such a sweet tale about the changing of seasons. To young ones, the change is mysterious and maybe worrisome. Stein weaves this simple story and makes reader rejoice with the change of weather.

Theme: Leaves
Additional themes: bear, hibernation, hello/goodbye

Reviewed from a library copy.
Ramsey Hootman
Aug 27, 2011 Ramsey Hootman rated it really liked it
Both I and my 20-month-old son love this book. The pictures are delightful and I love the style of the writing. Very simple and straightforward, but also poetic. The first line I especially love: "It was his first year." Not a trite, overexplain-y "It was Bubba Bear's first fall," just... "his." As the most excellent picture books do, it leaves a great deal of storytelling to the pictures. Excellent all around.
Japonika Finch
Dec 01, 2012 Japonika Finch rated it really liked it
Shelves: plot, seasons
I would used this book to do a sequencing activity with 1st grade students. I would used 4 of the pictures from the book, and write text that is similar to the text of the book. I would then cut out leaves in red, orange, and yellow and have the studetns paste the events to the leaves, but to put them in order and staple them together. They will have an extra leaf on top to color the front of their book and put a title on it. Also could be use to teach about the seasons.
Ashley Viox
Sep 18, 2012 Ashley Viox rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! The pictures in the book went great with the text. This book is a very easy read. I think you could read this book to a kindergarden class when learning about seasons or about different animals, you could even introduce animals that hibernate with this book. The book is a very low level, but i think it is a great book for a read aloud. Overall i think that this was a great book and I think i will read this book to my future class.
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • Time to Sleep
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Fall Leaves Fall!
  • Mouse's First Fall
  • Sneeze, Big Bear, Sneeze!
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
  • Waiting for Winter
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • Nest
David Ezra Stein is an author-illustrator whose previous books include LEAVES, winner of an Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Award. He lives in Kew Gardens, New York.
More about David Ezra Stein...