Start by marking “Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, 6)” as Want to Read:
Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, 6)

Dead Aim (Eve Duncan #4.5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  5,683 ratings  ·  142 reviews
The #1 New York Times bestselling author Iris Johansen returns with an electrifying and all-too-plausible thriller that pushes the level of suspense to the maximum and never lets up. From the tense opening scene to the final explosive page, Johansen delivers a knockout novel, as an unlikely pair of allies must expose a team of killers hiding behind an unspeakable act of te ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Bantam (first published December 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Aim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Aim

Dlora
My mom really likes Iris Johansen's books but she says the earlier ones are better than the more recent ones. Dead Aim is one of the earlier ones, published in 2003, and I agree that I liked it better too--that is, the characters in this book are more appealing to me than in her recent books however, the plots have maybe gotten more interesting over time. In Dead Aim, photojournalist Alex Graham gets drawn into a political conspiracy because she's taking photos in the wrong place and the wrong t ...more
JBradford
I don’t know who is having more fun — Iris Johansen in writing this Eve Duncan series, or me in reading them. This is listed as #4.5 in the series (that is, partway between #4 and #5) and the reason for that sentence becomes obvious, because it is really an offshoot from the series, with all the other characters that we have come to know and love being only bit players, off to the side. This one is really about a new character, Alex Graham, who is a professional photographer whose specialty is t ...more
Chana
A romance in the guise of an adventure/thriller. The author knows how to correctly sequence a story, but the dialogue was lame. Characters are constantly "tightening" or "twisting" their lips. And there is a frequent repetition of the word "dammit". I was wondering how I acquired this book as I certainly did not buy it, but, I tightened my lips and thought there is only one way to get this book off my shelf and that is to read it, dammit, and pass it on to someone who likes this author.
I can't stop reading this damn series. Eve Duncan is not in this book for even a word, but the other characters are so compelling I can't stop. I had a suspicion I'd be reading about Judd Morgan again, though I thought I was wrong after the way "No One to Trust" ended.

Boy, am I glad I was wrong. Morgan is terrific, and the fact that his character is so close-lipped kept me guessing till the end. Alex was also fantastic. I am really loving this web that Johansen has created....
Jim C
This is considered part of the Eve Duncan series but there is no Eve in this novel. There are characters from previous Eve Duncan books in this book. That is the tie-in to Eve.

Alex Graham is a photographer who is a witness to a murder which has ties to a much bigger political plot. Judd Morgan who is hired to protect her has his own problems and is not the most approachable guy. This is a romance thriller so we know where this is going. No surprises there.

This book had a nice pace and was never
Tammy K.
I had no idea this was part of a series when I read this one it seemed complete, which is a good thing if you can pick up in the middle of a series like that. Great action with some suspense, decent characters. Over all a pretty good read. I will look for the other books now that I know there is more.
Sue
A good story though a little predictible and suspiciously convenient. I wasn't crazy about either character and felt their relationship was a little contrived. I love Iris Johansen but I'm ready for more Eve Duncan in the Eve Duncan series...
Marian
Loved this series
Daniel Rudge
This was my third and last Iris Johansen book I've read. I think her plots and plot twists are ingenious but they come across as a quasi outline/first draft. Her writing style can also be quite choppy at times. I'd like to see her spend more time unraveling the plot because we are introduced to a great plot concept/twist but it is never developed to its fullest potential. I also have a problem with her main characters. Each book tries to bring two bull-headed people together to form a romance ba ...more
joyce lynn
ok, there are SOME advantages to having a major health problem ~ ending up in bed able to try and do nothing but read! hence me being able to knock ANOTHER book out this wk/, DESPITE my hectic schedule!! of course, i'd rather not have had to deal w/ the pain and such of my "syndrome", but ... we can't have it all!!! anyway ...

as usual, Iris Johansen did NOT let me down. this book was SO riveting, i actually carried it w/ me on my trips to the bathroom just so i could keep reading! WOW!!!

i do th
Sahara
If you are looking for a quick and entertaining read, this book is what you want.

The story is really captivating, I truly enjoyed this short read. It had enough action to keep me turning the page and I enjoyed the smart-ass remarks and bluntness in the characters' dialogue. The love portion of this novel isn't overbearing, usually the sappy love part gets in the way of the action, but Johansen does a good job of keeping it minimal.

Marti
While photographing a dam collapse and the rescue of many people, Alex Graham spots something that she is not supposed to witness, and her life changes as a result. Whom does she trust to hear about this? Is it possible that the government is involved? I felt that the best part of this book was at the beginning, and that it became more prosaic toward the end, when I found myself losing interest in what happened next.
April
I have really been enjoying Johansen's Eve Duncan series. This book takes a little detour from Eve's story, though, and instead tells the story of Alex Graham, who is Eve's friend Sarah's friend. (See? detour!) It's very good, although I wonder sometimes how far-fetched the plots of Johansen's books are. Are there really people out there who are actively plotting some of the stuff that happens in these books?

Anyway, another winning novel from Iris Johansen. Definitely recommend, but although thi
Kristen
In Dead Aim, she witnessed death from the lens of her camera. And now someone focused their attention on her. For world-renowed photojournalist, Alex Graham, she'd seen it all from natural disasters to discovered acts of terror. Her latest assignment had sent her in a dangerous and treacherous areas. When a dam broke in Arapahoe Junction, Colorado, it placed Alex in the center of attention, when she discovered a shocking act of terror and the following cover-up conspiracy story that would stun ...more
Maura
Jaime
While not technically part of a series, this book contains some characters that are parts of Johansen’s other series/books: John Logan, Sarah and Monty, and President Andreas. I think a few of the others are also recurring characters, but since this is only the 3rd Johansen book I’ve read, I don’t know for sure.

Anyway, this was just okay for me. I found Alex to be laughably naive for a world-traveling news photographer, and her naiveté is heavily acknowledged in the book, but it’s just not belie
Judith
Alex Graham is a photographer who has experienced loss in her personal life. She is edgy and distrustful. Smart and confrontational, yet deeply caring. And not too old. In other words, Alex is every woman who ever had a starring role in one of these romantic suspense novels.

While photographing the results of a devastating dam break in Colorado, Alex sees something she is not meant to see. And becomes the prey for the bad guys. Through the powerful husband of her best friend, she is paired, unwil
Susan Rowald
Totally predictable. I also was annoyed by Alex constantly "moistening her lips". Honestly! I didn't count but I know it was at least half a dozen times! Editing slip there apparently.
Don't think I'll be reading any more of her books. Read earlier ones that were some better.
Cj W
"What happens when the reporter becomes the story?"
"Alex fins more than she bargained for. In one terrible instant, she is witness to a conspiracy that will stun a nation. The official story is just a cover-up for a truth so frightening, so unthinkable, anyone who threatens to reveal it must be silenced. Forever.
And now that someone is Alex Graham."
(From inside Cover)

My thoughts:
Again, I wish I could give this book a half star, so I could go up to 3.5 stars. 3 stars doesn't quite do it justice
Leann
I found myself completely engrossed in Dead Aim at moments, however when I put the book down I found it easy to forget about it. I'm so very torn on this book. I like Alex Graham our main character and Judd Morgan, but something I can't put my finger on seemed off about this book. I liked the plot and even liked the characters however it was a tad drug out and I wish that we could have known a little more about the mystery of Alex's dad as he seems to be brought up a lot. I would recommend this ...more
Kat Klein
Alex was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Running from both good guys and bad guys alike, she's trying to stay alive long enough to get her story told. Enter Judd Morgan, who will do anything to keep her alive. Up to and including kidnapping her.

Once again, I like the side characters better than the primary characters in the Eve Duncan series. This is a good story, with alot of action and intrigue. Very well told.

The only problem I have is an ongoing issue with the dialogue. Although at le
Renata
I'm enjoying this series by Johansen. I'm growing fond of the characters and like that each book focuses on one or two, but brings the others into the mix so you don't forget who they are.
Carolyn Schlichting
Fantastic!

Great book, from beginning to end. The author writes wonderful books. A little romance and not of action. Good read.
Peeta_four_jace
Dec 01, 2013 Peeta_four_jace rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love a good fast pace mystery
I really liked this book, I usually read YA and I thought I would not like it but I actually did. I finished it in a day. from the very beginning it kept in interesting. There was never a dull moment. I really like the whole plot and everything, Very well written. something I didn't like was the usage of characters first and last name, in one sentence it would say " Morgan said" and in the next it would say " Judd said" that really bugged me, also how she didn't describe most of the characters h ...more
Jon Higashi
A 3-star review is the highest possible for a book like this, which is essentially an action comic crossbred with a roman novel. But, it did the trick for me on a recent vacation to Hawaii, perfect to relax with and let the time pass. Johansen doesn't turn many colorful passages, but she crafts a plot that keeps the pages turning and with sufficient detail but not too complex. I also do like the romantic subtext to this action thriller (professial super-woman photographer teams up with brooding ...more
Helen Driver
A romance novel disguised as a thriller. Beautiful woman saved by hero who's not looking for love. Fall in love, the end.
Ramon Dearmas
Not that one should run towards this author but was okay compared to what I have read before. As far as female writers go in mystery/murder they are very few that are good, sorry ladies. At least with Johansen the female character always makes matter worse, doesn't listen and yes makes it worse for the lead character. Of course hooking up with the main charcter male is always the main point with female writers. Nevada Barr seems to be the best when I decide to lower my standards of reading. So I ...more
Melissa
DNF. Too much about terrorism, I get quite enough of that in real life, I don't want to read about it too.
Milton Moon Louie
I wanted to keep reading to find out who is behind this conspiracy. And how they will find out where the last disaster will happen. B+
Karen C
Read in 2011. Stopped reading this series.
  • Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #7)
  • Blow Out (FBI Thriller, #9)
  • Dark Paradise
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Without Mercy
  • Dead Even (Dead #3)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more
More about Iris Johansen...

Eve Duncan (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)
  • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
  • Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)
The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2) The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1) The Search (Eve Duncan, #3) Eve (Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #1) Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)

“They said no one knew a man as well as a woman who slept with him.” 9 likes
“Where you are,there I'll be.Make up your mind to it.You may not love me now bt you will.I'll see to it” 4 likes