Start by marking “Reelecting Lincoln: The Battle For The 1864 Presidency” as Want to Read:
Reelecting Lincoln: The Battle For The 1864 Presidency

Reelecting Lincoln: The Battle For The 1864 Presidency

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Here, from the author of the acclaimed book The Class of 1846, is the dramatic story of what may have been the most critical election campaign in American history. Taking place in the midst of the Civil War, the election of 1864 would determine the very future of the nation. Would the country be unified or permanently divided? Would slavery continue? Weaving rich anecdotal ...more
Published November 15th 2001 by Da Capo Press (first published January 20th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Reelecting Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reelecting Lincoln

Kinksrock
Jan 19, 2016 Kinksrock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminds us that, although we have made Lincoln an icon, he was a man, and, in particular, he was a man who was a politician. Golden rays of light did not come down from the heavens and make him our president. People had to fight and work and manipulate to get him where he was . . . twice!

Even though I have read many books about Lincoln, I never realized that the 1864 election was such a hard-fought battle. Many thought he was going to lose. Many (especially the "Radical" Republicans) t
Glenn Robinson
Jun 02, 2013 Glenn Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating recount of the 1864 Elections. How to campaign while war was going on, when the lead candidate generally did not campaign? President Lincoln's main opponent was General McClellan, who lived up to his reputation of not being able to execute a campaign. Many wanted McClellan to win in order to end the war, others wanted Lincoln in order for other reasons.
Scott Sedar
Aug 10, 2012 Scott Sedar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tremendously interesting book because it examines so many different sides to an election, especially one taking place during a Civil War.
Truly, I enjoyed every page.
Dan
Jun 05, 2016 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Book is chock full of good anecdotes on the 1864 campaign. Waugh says going in that he was going to attempt to write a sort of history-as-journalism. It reminded me, at times, of Charlie Wilson's War, in that sense.

Worthwhile, if you're interested in the subject.
Dawn Gessner
Jan 26, 2014 Dawn Gessner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learned some interesting things about this election and about Lincoln
Scott
Jan 04, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lincoln-books
I have owned this book for a long time, but I only picked it up as the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's reelection was marked. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to gain some valuable insight into the remarkable events of 1864, which proved that a great nation, even in the midst of civil war, can maintain its principles and carry itself through to a brighter future.
Mark
Dec 01, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abraham-lincoln
A very good in-depth book about 19th century politics. Nothing has changed in 150 years. It shows the depths that men will go to and do to have their ideas and beliefs shoved to the forefront of one of the most important elections of this country. I highly reccomend it for those who like political books and those who are fans of Abraham Lincoln.
Melodee
May 17, 2008 Melodee rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Believe it or not, I learned some new things about Lincoln and the political workings of his presidency from this book. I liked the excerpts from the diaries of notable people of the time particularly. It is obviously well researched. It would be an excellent read for anyone interested in Lincolniana, the history of the 19th century, or politics.
Anthony Bergen
Aug 10, 2012 Anthony Bergen rated it it was amazing
My review in AND Magazine: http://www.andmagazine.com/content/an...
James
Jun 29, 2009 James is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, well written by my brotherin-law.
Tommyb
History,US presidents,US history,Lincoln
Noah Langford
Noah Langford marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Andrew Scholes
Andrew Scholes is currently reading it
May 10, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Kent
Kent added it
Feb 16, 2016
Wael Zwain
Wael Zwain marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Esnellvideo
Esnellvideo marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Fergus Bordewich
Fergus Bordewich rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Justin Mauro
Justin Mauro marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Erick
Erick added it
Feb 23, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Dan Eggleston
Dan Eggleston rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A Brief Self-Serving Bio

I'm a journalist turned historical reporter:

1956–1973, staff correspondent and bureau chief on The Christian Science Monitor. Honors included the American Bar Association’s 1972 Silver Gavel Award for the best national reporting, for a series on American prisons.
1973–1976, media specialist on the staff of Republican Vice President Nelson Rockefeller of New York.
1983–1988, p
More about John C. Waugh...