Start by marking “I Flew for the Führer” as Want to Read:
I Flew for the Führer

I Flew for the Führer

Heinz Knoke was one of Nazi Germany’s outstanding pilots, and this dramatic record of his experiences, illustrated with personal photos, has become a classic among aviation memoirs. He joined the Luftwaffe at the outbreak of the war, rose to the rank of commanding officer, and received the Knight’s Cross. Knoke’s account crackles with vivid accounts of air battles; and cap ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Cassell (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about I Flew for the Führer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Flew for the Führer

carl  theaker
Jan 24, 2013 carl theaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2
By time you're finished reading this one, you'll swear you've
put some seat time in a ME-109. The matter-of-fact, fast-paced
perspective could be attributed to author-pilot Heinz Knoke's
pre-war literary aspirations - it is a compelling tale.

The title does have a bit of that tabloid headline ring to
it, however since it was published in 1953, you get that
right after war perspective. For example, a variety of future
Experten all make cameo appearances, Marseille, Rall, Barkhorn,
Moritz, long before t
Oana
A point of view from "the other side", and aything one would ever want (or need) to know about the WW2 air combats, dog fights, Messerchmitts, bombers and allies planes. I found it a little too technical and therefore a tad boring, but my husband thought it was magnificient and awe-inspiring, so yeah.
KOMET
This Bantam edition of Knoke's military memoirs I read when I was in high school.

The reader immediately feels a part of Knoke’s life in the air. One of the most searing episodes in the book was when Knoke, in advanced flight training, was awaiting his turn, along with his fellow fledglings, to fly for the first time the Messerschmitt 109 (ME-109), then one of the most sophisticated fighter planes in the world. While a very nimble and durable fighter, the ME-109 was very tricky to handle at both
Jawad Usman
Nov 30, 2015 Jawad Usman rated it really liked it
I don't know why such books need to have an introduction from anyone, let alone some idiot... In this case the idiot said something to the affect of "I don't believe any German ace shot 150 Allied aircraft." Firstly even the Soviets were Allies, but I know he meant Western Allies (Brits and Americans). But I'll leave that hanging in the air... He doesn't seem to understand if "beliefs" changed facts, we'd all be speaking German today. Knoke does come across as an enthusiastic and devoted Hitler ...more
Heather
Dec 29, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very persuasive. I walked into this book thinking, "Pish, posh! Germans in WWII? I have no sympathy." I especially expected this, being a WWII British re-enactor. But I found myself CONSTANTLY cheering the main character--a German Pilot--on, hoping he knocked those damn Tommies to the ground! (And the Yanks...and the Bolsheviks...and the Frenchies...) It really turned me on my head, and was a refreshing re-look at WWII; it was good for me to see it from a different perspective, methinks. (NOTE: ...more
Phil Marsh
Aug 22, 2015 Phil Marsh rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. So interesting to get a perspective from "the enemy's side". The decline in his mental state and health as the wore draw on and more of his friends and colleagues were killed is clearly marked, and quite affecting. His belief in what they were doing was clearly shaken and he came to believe they had been lied to by their leaders, just as we so often feel here. Different country, different war - but we're more similar than you would think.

Very entertaining and easy to read.
Stormcrow
Mar 09, 2017 Stormcrow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the silly title, this is a really good book on the aerial war from a German pilot's perspective. It's amazing to read early passages such as:

August 31, 1939

September 11, 1939
The war in Poland draws to its close.

How dare those Poles inflict all that horror upon the Germans.

May 10, 1940
Our armies on the West Wall
Alfredo
Mar 15, 2017 Alfredo rated it it was amazing
Ascenso al cielo, descenso moral y desolación de un aviador alemán, contado con gran ritmo y a veces con prosa cansada y taciturna. No sería tan trágico si no fuese una autobiografía.
Elliot Jackson
Oct 25, 2014 Elliot Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I Flew for the Fuhrer by Heinz Knoke is the most captivating book about the war I have read to date. It's simply impossible to put down. Knoke briefly documents his childhood and upbringing before getting into the main part of his story which starts with the following diary entries:

"August 31,1939
The Polish atrocities against the German minority make horrible reading today. Thousands of Germans are being massacred daily in territory which had once been part of Germany. Thousands more arrive ever
Jackson
Nov 19, 2015 Jackson rated it it was amazing
Sarah Bierle
Aug 02, 2016 Sarah Bierle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
An interesting primary source introducing the German aviation side of World War II. I enjoyed this journal for its details on flight and strategy, though - being American - it was different to have the Americans and English constantly called the enemy. Good to read the other side's perspective and motivations and understand how the regular German military had no idea of Hitler's atrocities.

There is some bad language in the book (mostly mild) and some harsh realities of fatal crashes. Probably no
Jbussen
Oct 04, 2016 Jbussen rated it liked it
Shelves: wwii
A book very much in the same style as -Stuka Pilot: Hans Ulrich Rudel- It reads like a flight log at many points, but unlike Stuka as a diary at others. I read this and "Iron Coffins" as I wanted to view the war from a different point of view. The view of the loser is bleak. People fighting valiantly as they dwindle in number until they are not just too few to make a difference but must undertake suicide missions as commands. Not necessarily a must read but if you want a different view, than I r ...more
TheIron Paw
Mar 30, 2016 TheIron Paw rated it liked it
Shelves: military-history
Read this as part of the WWII Group's April read. This was written shortly after the war (the edition I had was published in 1951) and provides a somewhat different German perspective on the war compared to present day's historical perspectives. However, the book touches on politics only tangentially and is primarily about the author's experience as a day fighter pilot in a thoroughly readable style.
Lee Ann
Jun 24, 2009 Lee Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This was very exciting. He writes great dogfights without all the technical jargon. This is obviously the view from the other side but, wowza, what a story! You get a sense of being there as the Luftwaffe prepares for battle and then engages the enemy. It's neat to read what the Germans thought they were fighting for. This would make a great re-read or a companion to an American or British pilot memoir.
John
This was an interesting book but didn't include anything new that hasn't been in many other books. Knoke was very luck having been wounded five times and shot down a few times. Much of the book revolves around the German's dwindling resources. To the end Knope sees Germany as the worlds only hope against Bolshevism.
Joan
Jun 30, 2012 Joan added it
I enjoyed the book very much. Easy to read in diary form and pretty unemotional, especially since it was by a combat pilot from Germany shooting down USA planes and of the type, B-17, that my dad flew in the Pacific. But there was also a pilots code of ethics that was nice to see and not a lot of blind hatred for the enemy.
Ivan Mendez Beltran
La destrucción del Reich alemán significa que la última barrera de la revolución mundial roja ha sido derribada. Sobre Berlín ondea ahora la bandera roja. Allí tenemos al verdadero vencedor de esta guerra.

El camino ha quedado abierto para Stalin...
Torsten
Feb 20, 2015 Torsten rated it really liked it
If you can live with such drivel as: “It is useless for us to trouble ourselves now over such academic questions as responsibility and war guilt.” Which fills part of the book. Then you are in for an entertaining yarn, which gives a good experience of the Luftwaffe during the war.
Jasen Martinez
Oct 24, 2012 Jasen Martinez rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really interesting book. My first, and only, WWII book written from the German perspective.

I need to re-read this because it's been years since I read this but I really liked the personal stories and the insight on flying.
Geoff Cain
Jan 12, 2008 Geoff Cain rated it it was amazing
Required reading with my pals in Junior High.
Andrew
Oct 31, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Fascinating. Highly recommended. Puts life into perspective.
Neil Munday
Jul 13, 2013 Neil Munday rated it really liked it
brilliantly plain and honest and interesting.
Chris
Dec 10, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting look into the life of a German fighter pilot through World War II. If you are a fan of aviation or World War history I recommend you find it. If you are a fan of both buy it.
Jack Hwang
Nov 14, 2015 Jack Hwang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the battles were on the west front. Knoke downed 52 Allied aircraft in about 400 missions and several of them the 4 engine heavies. Very amazing that he survived.
J
J rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Reggie
Reggie rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2012
johanna kruisenga
johanna kruisenga rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2017
Tanya
Tanya rated it did not like it
Mar 25, 2013
Mr Alan R Robertson
Mr Alan R Robertson rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2017
Carlos Llanos
Carlos Llanos rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Blond Knight Of Germany: a biography of... Erich Hartmann
  • Samurai!
  • Stuka Pilot
  • The First And The Last
  • Combat Crew
  • The German Aces Speak: World War II Through the Eyes of Four of the Luftwaffe's Most Important Commanders
  • I Could Never Be So Lucky Again
  • A Stranger to Myself: The Inhumanity of War: Russia, 1941-1944
  • Tigers In The Mud: The Combat Career of German Panzer Commander Otto Carius
  • Fire In The Sky: The Air War In The South Pacific
  • Inferno: The Fiery Destruction of Hamburg, 1943
  • Enemy Coast Ahead
  • Grenadiers: The Story of Waffen SS General Kurt "Panzer" Meyer (Stackpole Military History): The Story of Waffen SS General Kurt ... of Waffen SS General Kurt Panzer Meyer
  • Hitler Moves East 1941–1943