Start by marking “Home: The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House” as Want to Read:
Home: The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House

Home: The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Ever thought about all the people who lived in your house before you? Julie Myserson did, and set out to learn as much as she could about their often fascinating lives. house, an ordinary home, and ordinary people have lived in it for over a century. But start to explore what they did, who they were, what they believed in, what they desired and they soon become as remarkab ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home

CuteBadger
Novelist and columnist Julie Myerson attempts to trace the histories of everyone who ever lived in her Victorian house, which entails many hours in dusty archives, contacting hundreds of people who may be descendants, and imagining the lives of her homes past inhabitants. She also revisits the houses she herself lived in throughout her life and tries to make sense of a difficult relationship with her father.

This is an interesting book, in turn history, autobiography and fiction (as regards the d
Tyler
interesting idea, but I was bored. She presented the investigation of all the people who lived in her home before her in a too detached dry way that lost my interest.
Ape
2010 bookcrossing: Wow, this was such a good read. Certainly a long one, not something to be rushed over, but I did really enjoy it. I didn't realise how much information it's possible to get about people, and to see how much detail she managed to get together in the end is quite impressive.

I loved this idea of history that goes with the house, and how the residents become part of that. I know some people say they wouldn't want to live anywhere that someone has died, but that kind of thing doesn
Judith
I stayed up until 5 o'clock in the morning reading this. Well, OK, I couldn't sleep, so I kept turning the light on and reading just one more chapter... I'd give it slightly less than 5 stars if not for this fact, because I did find that at times I got a bit confused by the enormous cast of historical characters Myerson unearthed in her research. But I found it utterly fascinating, and completely understand the impulse to go back and find out, as Myerson did, as much as she could about every per ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire
I was quite surprised to find this book getting some lousy ratings when I looked it up on Amazon as I really enjoyed it. It's subtitled "The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House" and I think it manages to tell that story nicely. It's not how to find out the history of your own house and it is a story - don't read it if you wouldn't normally read a novel.

I thought the stuff about the author's own life (for example her thinking about all the houses that she'd lived in and what happened th
Susan
I got quite obsessed with this book. Just the sort of thing that really gets me going: I've lived in old houses and would love to know who has lived in them before me. So this was right up my street.

I wanted to know more so I kept Googling after I'd finished it and only then discovered that Julia Myerson is the author of the Guardian column 'Living with teenagers' and, I came to understand, a revealing book about her son's drug addiction. (Yes, I'm slow on the uptake, I know). Not that this rea
Jacquie
I really liked the concept of this book and it made me think about my house and the previous homes that i have lived in. i didn't like mix of non fiction and fiction in this book, it didnt work for me. i think she should have just stuck to a non fiction, factual book as i found it really interesting how she found out about all these families. I found myself skipping the made up stories of the people, especially towards the end of the book when she was in the 1800s. Overall I did enjoy it but fou ...more
Sheena
Read on holiday in a cottage in Ruswarp North Yorkshire. The night my mother stayed I had to choose a single bed in the loft area with the likelihood of wasps falling on my head from a gap in the rafters or one away from the danger area but with no light. Julian (husband) came to my rescue with a little torch and it was just like my childhood reading under the covers. Just my sort of subject the sentimental past but I did get a little bored in parts.
Booksdingle
I liked the idea of this book and the style of writing - alternating between fact and fiction. I didn't remember much of the detail as in names and dates or take that much notice of that part of the writing it was the story I was most interested in and which captivated me enough to make me want to read on to the end of what was a fairly hefty book.
Linda
I enjoyed reading this book very much, if I lived in a old house I would want to research who had lived in it before as well, so reading Julie's book about the people who lived in her house I found very interesting.
Anna Ranson
a fascinating book if you live in a period property! she tracks all of the people who have ever lived in her house in Clapham, all the way back to the very first owner and even to the builders who constructed it.
Jan Howard
Excellent read, as I live in an old house and have been looking into who lived here, I found her book fascinating and has given me some ideas.
Adrienne
interesting from a social history pov,wonderfully written......this book was why tottenham hot(spurs) became our 'second' football team.....
Brenda
I loved this book with all it's seperate stories.recommended.
Jes
Jes marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Tracey
Tracey added it
May 04, 2015
Samantha Mau
Samantha Mau is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Pauline Mowbray
Pauline Mowbray marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Lake Lou
Lake Lou marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Sarie
Sarie marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The novelist Julie Myerson was born in Nottingham in 1960. She read English at Bristol University and has worked for the National Theatre and in publishing. She also works as a journalist and contributes reviews and articles to newspapers, magazines and radio programmes.

Her first novel, Sleepwalking, was published in 1994, followed by The Touch (1996), Me and the Fat Man (1998), and Laura Blundy
More about Julie Myerson...
Something Might Happen Then The Lost Child: A Mother's Story The Story of You Out of Breath