Start by marking “Home: The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House” as Want to Read:
Home: The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House

Home: The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House

Ever thought about all the people who lived in your house before you? Julie Myserson did, and set out to learn as much as she could about their often fascinating lives. house, an ordinary home, and ordinary people have lived in it for over a century. But start to explore what they did, who they were, what they believed in, what they desired and they soon become as remarkab ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home

Dark-Draco
Jan 01, 2017 Dark-Draco rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I'm actually not 100% sure what I thought of this book. I was really attracted by the premise - a search to find out about all the people who had ever lived in the author's house. Of course, this is helped by living in a 200 year old house in London - doing the same for my 1960's house in the middle of a housing estate probably wouldn't be as interesting!

The author mixes fact and fiction, by adding little scenes and stories that she imagines about those people, as well as actual anecdotes from s
Tyler
Nov 23, 2007 Tyler rated it liked it
interesting idea, but I was bored. She presented the investigation of all the people who lived in her home before her in a too detached dry way that lost my interest.
Margaret
Nov 23, 2016 Margaret rated it did not like it
Didn't finish, got bored.
Mary Arkless
Jul 24, 2015 Mary Arkless rated it really liked it
I saw a review about this book several years ago and added it to my wishlist on BookCrossing. My P365 Secret Santa sent me this copy for Christmas. I realize it has taken me quite some time to finish reading the book, but I have been reading it off and on the entire time. I enjoyed it very much, and the subject matter lends itself to reading in bit and pieces. I guess it means I've been able to enjoy the book over several months, because I don't think there was a single month when I didn't read ...more
Ape
2010 bookcrossing: Wow, this was such a good read. Certainly a long one, not something to be rushed over, but I did really enjoy it. I didn't realise how much information it's possible to get about people, and to see how much detail she managed to get together in the end is quite impressive.

I loved this idea of history that goes with the house, and how the residents become part of that. I know some people say they wouldn't want to live anywhere that someone has died, but that kind of thing doesn
Judith
May 06, 2009 Judith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adultnonfiction
I stayed up until 5 o'clock in the morning reading this. Well, OK, I couldn't sleep, so I kept turning the light on and reading just one more chapter... I'd give it slightly less than 5 stars if not for this fact, because I did find that at times I got a bit confused by the enormous cast of historical characters Myerson unearthed in her research. But I found it utterly fascinating, and completely understand the impulse to go back and find out, as Myerson did, as much as she could about every per ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire
Jun 16, 2011 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
I was quite surprised to find this book getting some lousy ratings when I looked it up on Amazon as I really enjoyed it. It's subtitled "The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House" and I think it manages to tell that story nicely. It's not how to find out the history of your own house and it is a story - don't read it if you wouldn't normally read a novel.

I thought the stuff about the author's own life (for example her thinking about all the houses that she'd lived in and what happened th
CuteBadger
Dec 07, 2014 CuteBadger rated it liked it
Novelist and columnist Julie Myerson attempts to trace the histories of everyone who ever lived in her Victorian house, which entails many hours in dusty archives, contacting hundreds of people who may be descendants, and imagining the lives of her homes past inhabitants. She also revisits the houses she herself lived in throughout her life and tries to make sense of a difficult relationship with her father.

This is an interesting book, in turn history, autobiography and fiction (as regards the d
Susan
Aug 26, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
I got quite obsessed with this book. Just the sort of thing that really gets me going: I've lived in old houses and would love to know who has lived in them before me. So this was right up my street.

I wanted to know more so I kept Googling after I'd finished it and only then discovered that Julia Myerson is the author of the Guardian column 'Living with teenagers' and, I came to understand, a revealing book about her son's drug addiction. (Yes, I'm slow on the uptake, I know). Not that this rea
Caroline
May 14, 2016 Caroline rated it it was amazing
I loved this. She became obsessed with the people who'd lived in her house, just as I am, but she has more interesting characters to work with. I was more interested in the real things about the people than in the little speculative scenarios she invented, but she's a novelist, and it didn't take away from the other part of the story to have them in there. I'm going to go off to the book's website and see what is there. I'll probably read this again, and it makes me want to go spend the day at t ...more
Jacquie
Feb 10, 2015 Jacquie rated it liked it
I really liked the concept of this book and it made me think about my house and the previous homes that i have lived in. i didn't like mix of non fiction and fiction in this book, it didnt work for me. i think she should have just stuck to a non fiction, factual book as i found it really interesting how she found out about all these families. I found myself skipping the made up stories of the people, especially towards the end of the book when she was in the 1800s. Overall I did enjoy it but fou ...more
Sheena
Jan 03, 2010 Sheena rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, non-fiction
Read on holiday in a cottage in Ruswarp North Yorkshire. The night my mother stayed I had to choose a single bed in the loft area with the likelihood of wasps falling on my head from a gap in the rafters or one away from the danger area but with no light. Julian (husband) came to my rescue with a little torch and it was just like my childhood reading under the covers. Just my sort of subject the sentimental past but I did get a little bored in parts.
Booksdingle
Jun 17, 2011 Booksdingle rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed-library
I liked the idea of this book and the style of writing - alternating between fact and fiction. I didn't remember much of the detail as in names and dates or take that much notice of that part of the writing it was the story I was most interested in and which captivated me enough to make me want to read on to the end of what was a fairly hefty book.
Anna Ranson
Sep 04, 2007 Anna Ranson rated it really liked it
a fascinating book if you live in a period property! she tracks all of the people who have ever lived in her house in Clapham, all the way back to the very first owner and even to the builders who constructed it.
Linda Hardy
Feb 04, 2015 Linda Hardy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book very much, if I lived in a old house I would want to research who had lived in it before as well, so reading Julie's book about the people who lived in her house I found very interesting.
Adrienne
Nov 28, 2013 Adrienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-loan
interesting from a social history pov,wonderfully written......this book was why tottenham hot(spurs) became our 'second' football team.....
Jan Howard
Apr 11, 2011 Jan Howard rated it really liked it
Excellent read, as I live in an old house and have been looking into who lived here, I found her book fascinating and has given me some ideas.
LeAnne
Feb 11, 2016 LeAnne rated it it was amazing
I always knew I loved old houses with their sense of history and continuity. Makes me want to start researching!
Peggy
Peggy rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Zoe Obstkuchen
Zoe Obstkuchen rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Jade Grzesik
Jade Grzesik rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Penelope
Penelope rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2012
Rob Lundy
Rob Lundy rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2008
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Cari
Cari rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Rezina
Rezina rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Family Romance: A Love Story
  • A London Child of the 1870s
  • Fred & Edie
  • Things My Mother Never Told Me
  • The War on Moms: On Life in a Family-Unfriendly Nation
  • Home Economics: Vintage Advice and Practical Science for the 21st-Century Household
  • Onions in the Stew (Betty MacDonald Memoirs, #4)
  • May Week Was in June
  • Never Done: A History of American Housework
  • Peculiar in a Good Way
  • Spic-and-Span!: Lillian Gilbreth's Wonder Kitchen
  • The Tale of Beatrix Potter: A Biography
Julie Myerson is the author of nine novels, including the internationally bestselling Something Might Happen, and three works of nonfiction. As a critic and columnist, she has written for many newspapers including The Guardian, Financial Times, Harper’s Bazaar, and the New York Times.
More about Julie Myerson...