Start by marking “Hero Cat” as Want to Read:
Hero Cat

Hero Cat

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Five tiny kittens cry for their mama, as smoke begins to fill the abandoned warehouse that has been their home. But Mother Cat has left her cozy heap of kittens to go in search of food. Determined to save her babies, Mother Cat dashes into the burning building and follows the sounds of frightened mewing. In five daring acts, she saves each kitten—a true hero cat! This stor ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Hero Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero Cat

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollTailchaser's Song by Tad Williams
Great "Cat" Books
249th out of 979 books — 544 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
291st out of 356 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Lobstergirl
Mar 28, 2010 Lobstergirl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Vladimir Putin
Shelves: feline, kid-books
Charming pastel illustrations - I especially love the cover, which is worth 5 stars by itself. The text is very simple, aimed at the 4-6 yo crowd, and based on the real-life story of Scarlett, a cat who rescued her five kittens from the burning garage where they lived in Brooklyn in 1996. "Firefighters spotted Scarlett, despite burns to her eyes, ears and face, toting each kitten out of the building to safety. Once outside, Scarlett nudged each baby with her nose to make sure she found all five. ...more
Melle
Breathtakingly gorgeous realistic artwork by Jo Ellen McAllister Stammen -- the details on the cat and her kittens are amazing, the colors are simultaneously subtle and arresting (probably oil pastels), the textures almost make you want to reach out and stroke the page. The storytelling is solid and effective with sparse, simple, thoughtful text by Eileen Spinelli. Based on a true story, a tearjerker with a happy ending -- fire-endangered kittens and a mother cat who rescues them -- c'mon! What' ...more
Gina
Adorable book, but furthermore, true!! Scarlett showed more love and bravery than many humans do. My mom calls my cat, Bella, that "Danged old cat!"...however, the love I see from Bella I have no doubt she'd be a mother like this. All one has to do is Google the words "hero cat" or "hero dog" and you get a plethora of stories such as the one Spinelli writes. Our pets are truly amazing creatures and it brightened my day to learn about Scarlett. The world was better for having her in it! The way S ...more
Natalie
I love a good picture book, so I figured it was time I start a bookshelf for them on here. My first on the list is Hero Cat, a true story of a mother cat who saved her kittens from a burning building. The trueness of the story is awesome, I just think the telling of it could have been a little better. I love that there is a real photo of the mother and her kittens at the back of the book. What a true hero this mother cat is! I'll give it 3.5 stars.
Sandra Stiles
Eileen Spinelli is one of my favorite children’s authors. Hero cat is the story of a mother cat who entered a burning building five different times to save her kittens. She brought them out one at a time. This simple, short story is based on the news story of a cat who did just that. For this reason she is considered a hero.
SummerSkye Griffith
Best True Story

Best True Story

I thought this book was absolutely amazing! Inspired by Scarlett, the hero cat, beautiful illustrations, combined with a wonderful story.. If I had to rate it, 100000000000000000 out of 10!
Relyn
My daughter is reading every Show Me candidate this year for a school library project. The Show Me Award is an award from the Missouri Librarians Association to recognize the best children's story book of the year. Missouri librarians choose ten candidates and Missouri school children read each book and vote for the best. Many, many wonderful children's books have won in past years. If Sloane reads all ten nominees, she'll get a hardback copy of the winner for this year. YIKES!! I hope this one ...more
lori su
Love cats

Great graphics. Love the storyline. And we highly recommend it to my grandson. It just fits the grandson to be able to read the story to grandmother I can't wait
Brendan Carr
Beautiful Story with Amazing Illustrations - Perfect for kids and adults

If this book doesn't bring a tear to your eye, then you may not have a soul. I highly recommend this book.
Alice
4.25 stars You know I am a sucker for a true story, and so I have to rave about this book. I love the pictures, the story and the real life picture of the Hero Cat. Just great!!
Donna Ater-bills
Very good story

Heartwarming and a wonderful story. Very nice story loved it I loved the pictures also thank you for writing it
Peacegal
Scarlett the cat has been the subject of several books--and for good reason. In 1996, this brave former stray rushed into a burning building to rescue her kittens--despite suffering severe burns in the process.

Scarlett reminded us all that the idea of motherly love and bravery is not confined to the human species. What a fine idea to impart in a book designed for youngsters.

This lushly illustrated book gives Scarlett a bit of a back story, and is simply worded to encourage young readers. It wo
Bradley  Stout
great

I choose a five because this book is so sweet but its not fof real senstive people
Redheather Book Review
Hero Cat weaves an endearing tail with classically beautiful illustrations.

Mother Cat is in need of shelter, she knows she will give birth to a litter very soon. She finds rest and comfort with her new kittens but must leave to find food in the cold. Upon her return, the kittens are helpless in a burning building, turning this new Mother Cat into an extraordinary Hero Cat!

This book is based on a true story, making the tail even more precious.

Hero Cat is written by Eileen Spinelli with illustra
Jessamine
I can't read this to my niece and nephew without crying.
Gary
Another pick for my storytelling that I did. This is based on a true story, and I liked how the author included a photo of the real cat and her kittens at the back of the book. Showed it to the kids and they were marvelling at it!

Reminded the kids to be brave. Always. Plus, love their parent(s) because they would do anything to protect them from harm.
Sandy
I thought this was such a sweet book. What momma cat does to save her babies is extraordinary. And at the back of the book was the picture of the real momma cat and her babies. Poor little thing.
Haley Whitehall
Hero cat is based on the real-life story of Scarlett a homeless cat who rescued her five kittens from a burning building in Brooklyn. I'm a cat lover and when I heard about this book I had to read it. The illustrations are charming done in pastel and are the best part of the book. The text is very simple, aimed at the youngest readers. I didn't feel any emotion in the story. I felt like the author missed an opportunity to create a bigger impact with this touching story.
Stephanie
This story was written about a stray Mum cat, "Scarlett."

Scarlett is a stray who rescued her kittens from a burning building. This true story inspired this children`s book.

The illustrations are wonderful and the story is a clear visual as to the hardships that strays face.

There is a wonderful actual picture of Scarlett at the back of the book.

Brave brave "Hero Cat" Mum.
Keri ♠
This book is based on a true story that happened in 1996 about a street cat's heroic rescue of her 5 kittens from a fire, recounted by Eileen Spinelli ten years later on the anniversary. Thank you, Eileen for telling Scarlett's story! It's not often that a children's book brings tears to my eyes. And a wonderful picture of momma and her babies in the back of the book.
Brianna Morris
I remember seeing the story of this cat on the news. It is a very heartwarming story that would entertain a variety of readers. I also believe it is a great example of how books are written based on a true event. The only complaint I have is that is very short. I feel like this kind of story could have had more detail even for a children's book.
Heidi
Wonderful illustrations! And what a sweet story. It was really, really simple. But also bittersweet--with a happy ending! And, of course, it endeared itself to me when I learned that Eileen Spinelli based it off of a true story. Possible for Book Time, but might not be as active for to keep the children's attention.
Rachel
Hero Cat is the true story of a mother cat who gave birth to five kittens in an abandoned warehouse. She leaves them to go find food and when she returns the building is on fire, with all her kittens trapped inside. She rescues all of them and is later adopted. The real photo in the back is so precious.
Gena Lott
This is a sweet and beautiful story of the mother cat featured in the news some years ago. She saved her kittens from a burning building while being toasted in the meantime. Spinelli makes the story live and the illustrations are wonderful.
Younger children will love this real-life animal adventure.
Jenny
This touching story is based on a true story and was written in honor of the tenth anniversary of the real Hero Cat. Hero Cat enters a burning building until all her kittens are rescued. The story is told in simple language with beautiful illustrations.
Barbara Maguire
Hero Cat tells the true story of a brave mama cat as she rescues her kittens from a burning building. The cover is gorgeous--you can see the determination in her eyes! It made me think about why people and animals do heroic things. Love? Courage? Duty?
Heather
We all loved this. Wonderful illustrations. Nice text. A great story about courage and motherly love. The author includes some information about the true story this is based on with an actual photography which my kids especially loved.
Allen Eggleston
Me being a cat person this is an instant masterpiece! This shows that picture books can be powerful enough to move any audience. No matter what the animal is we all have a soft spot for a mother protecting and saving her children.
Brandin
Genre: Picture book/fiction

Topic/Theme: Bravery, sacrifice, safety, love

Grade Level: K-3

Classroom Use: Read aloud

Comments: Good for read aloud on Mother's Day or talking about bravery, fire safety, etc.
Libby
I really like Eileen Spinelli, and I feel like she does many different kinds of books. This one told a neat, true story about a cat who saves her kittens from a fire, and had beautiful pictures. N. and M. really liked it, too.
  • Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story
  • Grumpy Cat
  • The Grannyman
  • How to Be a Cat
  • Catlore
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • Before You Were Mine
  • Old Mikamba Had a Farm
  • Cat Talk
  • Born to Read
  • When the Sun Rose
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch Where I Live The Dancing Pancake Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Tale Silly Tilly