Start by marking “Hero Cat” as Want to Read:
Hero Cat

Hero Cat

Five tiny kittens cry for their mama, as smoke begins to fill the abandoned warehouse that has been their home. But Mother Cat has left her cozy heap of kittens to go in search of food. Determined to save her babies, Mother Cat dashes into the burning building and follows the sounds of frightened mewing. In five daring acts, she saves each kitten—a true hero cat! This stor ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Hero Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero Cat

Lobstergirl
Mar 28, 2010 Lobstergirl rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Vladimir Putin
Shelves: feline, kid-books
Charming pastel illustrations - I especially love the cover, which is worth 5 stars by itself. The text is very simple, aimed at the 4-6 yo crowd, and based on the real-life story of Scarlett, a cat who rescued her five kittens from the burning garage where they lived in Brooklyn in 1996. "Firefighters spotted Scarlett, despite burns to her eyes, ears and face, toting each kitten out of the building to safety. Once outside, Scarlett nudged each baby with her nose to make sure she found all five. ...more
Amy
Sweet story about a mama cat who loves her kittens so much that she'll risk her life for them. Mother Cat finds a place in an abandoned building to give birth to her babies: Black-and-White, Gray, Siamese, White Paws, and Smokey. She sets out to find food for the kittens and returns to find the building on fire.

The illustrations are what really makes the book. Jo Ellen McAllister Stammen's pastel illustrations - especially of the cats - are realistic and expressive. The cats look furry and like
Eva Kelly
Sep 02, 2015 Eva Kelly rated it it was amazing
O.K., so here's the thing. I like cute books and funny books and all that, and even fact books are good sometimes if they're not too hard. And books with just pictures and no words too. But you know what the best books are? Books that are stories and the stories are TRUE.
And that's what this one is. It's about this cat that no one likes, not even the other cats, but then she goes and has her kittens and she's a really good mom, but guess what? When she goes out for dinner, there's a FIRE and so
Relyn
Sep 27, 2008 Relyn rated it it was ok
My daughter is reading every Show Me candidate this year for a school library project. The Show Me Award is an award from the Missouri Librarians Association to recognize the best children's story book of the year. Missouri librarians choose ten candidates and Missouri school children read each book and vote for the best. Many, many wonderful children's books have won in past years. If Sloane reads all ten nominees, she'll get a hardback copy of the winner for this year. YIKES!! I hope this one ...more
Melle
Aug 01, 2014 Melle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Breathtakingly gorgeous realistic artwork by Jo Ellen McAllister Stammen -- the details on the cat and her kittens are amazing, the colors are simultaneously subtle and arresting (probably oil pastels), the textures almost make you want to reach out and stroke the page. The storytelling is solid and effective with sparse, simple, thoughtful text by Eileen Spinelli. Based on a true story, a tearjerker with a happy ending -- fire-endangered kittens and a mother cat who rescues them -- c'mon! What' ...more
Peacegal
Scarlett the cat has been the subject of several books--and for good reason. In 1996, this brave former stray rushed into a burning building to rescue her kittens--despite suffering severe burns in the process.

Scarlett reminded us all that the idea of motherly love and bravery is not confined to the human species. What a fine idea to impart in a book designed for youngsters.

This lushly illustrated book gives Scarlett a bit of a back story, and is simply worded to encourage young readers. It wo
Gina
May 19, 2015 Gina rated it it was amazing
Adorable book, but furthermore, true!! Scarlett showed more love and bravery than many humans do. My mom calls my cat, Bella, that "Danged old cat!"...however, the love I see from Bella I have no doubt she'd be a mother like this. All one has to do is Google the words "hero cat" or "hero dog" and you get a plethora of stories such as the one Spinelli writes. Our pets are truly amazing creatures and it brightened my day to learn about Scarlett. The world was better for having her in it! The way S ...more
Redheather Book Review
Hero Cat weaves an endearing tail with classically beautiful illustrations.

Mother Cat is in need of shelter, she knows she will give birth to a litter very soon. She finds rest and comfort with her new kittens but must leave to find food in the cold. Upon her return, the kittens are helpless in a burning building, turning this new Mother Cat into an extraordinary Hero Cat!

This book is based on a true story, making the tail even more precious.

Hero Cat is written by Eileen Spinelli with illustra
Haley Whitehall
Oct 08, 2013 Haley Whitehall rated it liked it
Hero cat is based on the real-life story of Scarlett a homeless cat who rescued her five kittens from a burning building in Brooklyn. I'm a cat lover and when I heard about this book I had to read it. The illustrations are charming done in pastel and are the best part of the book. The text is very simple, aimed at the youngest readers. I didn't feel any emotion in the story. I felt like the author missed an opportunity to create a bigger impact with this touching story.
Natalie
Oct 28, 2014 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love a good picture book, so I figured it was time I start a bookshelf for them on here. My first on the list is Hero Cat, a true story of a mother cat who saved her kittens from a burning building. The trueness of the story is awesome, I just think the telling of it could have been a little better. I love that there is a real photo of the mother and her kittens at the back of the book. What a true hero this mother cat is! I'll give it 3.5 stars.
Karen GoatKeeper
Mar 02, 2016 Karen GoatKeeper rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The writing is a bit simple in this book. Simple declarative sentences throughout.
What makes this book outstanding is the illustrations. They are muted in color yet soft looking with the softness of a cat's fur.
The book is a fictionalized story of a real mother cat who rescued her five kittens from a burning building. A picture of this cat with her kittens is on the last page. The cat is singed and bandaged but her kittens are all safe.
It is a wonderful book to savor one picture at a time.
Gary
Sep 03, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytelling
Another pick for my storytelling that I did. This is based on a true story, and I liked how the author included a photo of the real cat and her kittens at the back of the book. Showed it to the kids and they were marvelling at it!

Reminded the kids to be brave. Always. Plus, love their parent(s) because they would do anything to protect them from harm.
Heidi-Marie
Wonderful illustrations! And what a sweet story. It was really, really simple. But also bittersweet--with a happy ending! And, of course, it endeared itself to me when I learned that Eileen Spinelli based it off of a true story. Possible for Book Time, but might not be as active for to keep the children's attention.
Christine Turner
A cat gives birth to a litter of kittens in an abandoned building that catches fire while she is out searching for food. Based on a true story.

Subject: Cats -- Juvenile fiction
Mother and child -- Juvenile fiction
Fires -- Juvenile fiction
Rescues -- Juvenile fiction
Animal heroes -- Juvenile fiction.

Keri ♠
Sep 25, 2009 Keri ♠ rated it it was amazing
This book is based on a true story that happened in 1996 about a street cat's heroic rescue of her 5 kittens from a fire, recounted by Eileen Spinelli ten years later on the anniversary. Thank you, Eileen for telling Scarlett's story! It's not often that a children's book brings tears to my eyes. And a wonderful picture of momma and her babies in the back of the book.
Stephanie
Jul 24, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
This story was written about a stray Mum cat, "Scarlett."

Scarlett is a stray who rescued her kittens from a burning building. This true story inspired this children`s book.

The illustrations are wonderful and the story is a clear visual as to the hardships that strays face.

There is a wonderful actual picture of Scarlett at the back of the book.

Brave brave "Hero Cat" Mum.
Rachel
Hero Cat is the true story of a mother cat who gave birth to five kittens in an abandoned warehouse. She leaves them to go find food and when she returns the building is on fire, with all her kittens trapped inside. She rescues all of them and is later adopted. The real photo in the back is so precious.
Brianna Morris
I remember seeing the story of this cat on the news. It is a very heartwarming story that would entertain a variety of readers. I also believe it is a great example of how books are written based on a true event. The only complaint I have is that is very short. I feel like this kind of story could have had more detail even for a children's book.
Penny Olson
Jul 14, 2016 Penny Olson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, childrens, animals, cat, cats
I loved this beautifully illustrated book about a mother cat who rescues who kitten one by one from a burning building. It is a true story and I think it is great that a picture of the real Scarlett the cat was included at the end of the book. I only wish this book was longer and had more about how Scarlett and the kittens were treated after the fire and adopted.
Gena Lott
Sep 16, 2011 Gena Lott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a sweet and beautiful story of the mother cat featured in the news some years ago. She saved her kittens from a burning building while being toasted in the meantime. Spinelli makes the story live and the illustrations are wonderful.
Younger children will love this real-life animal adventure.
Sandra Stiles
Mar 30, 2014 Sandra Stiles rated it it was amazing
Eileen Spinelli is one of my favorite children’s authors. Hero cat is the story of a mother cat who entered a burning building five different times to save her kittens. She brought them out one at a time. This simple, short story is based on the news story of a cat who did just that. For this reason she is considered a hero.
Karen
Oct 13, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
The first thing you notice about this book is that cover -- what a powerful, beautiful cover. Then, after the cover is a story based on a true story about a cat's remarkable bravery and the love of a mother. And more beautiful, softly realistic artwork. Truly, this was a wonderful book.
Heather
We all loved this. Wonderful illustrations. Nice text. A great story about courage and motherly love. The author includes some information about the true story this is based on with an actual photography which my kids especially loved.
JennE
This touching story is based on a true story and was written in honor of the tenth anniversary of the real Hero Cat. Hero Cat enters a burning building until all her kittens are rescued. The story is told in simple language with beautiful illustrations.
SummerSkye Griffith
Best True Story

Best True Story

I thought this book was absolutely amazing! Inspired by Scarlett, the hero cat, beautiful illustrations, combined with a wonderful story.. If I had to rate it, 100000000000000000 out of 10!
Libby
Dec 17, 2012 Libby rated it really liked it
I really like Eileen Spinelli, and I feel like she does many different kinds of books. This one told a neat, true story about a cat who saves her kittens from a fire, and had beautiful pictures. N. and M. really liked it, too.
Barbara Maguire
Oct 03, 2010 Barbara Maguire rated it really liked it
Hero Cat tells the true story of a brave mama cat as she rescues her kittens from a burning building. The cover is gorgeous--you can see the determination in her eyes! It made me think about why people and animals do heroic things. Love? Courage? Duty?
Allen Eggleston
Dec 16, 2013 Allen Eggleston rated it it was amazing
Me being a cat person this is an instant masterpiece! This shows that picture books can be powerful enough to move any audience. No matter what the animal is we all have a soft spot for a mother protecting and saving her children.
Brandin
Dec 01, 2008 Brandin rated it it was amazing
Genre: Picture book/fiction

Topic/Theme: Bravery, sacrifice, safety, love

Grade Level: K-3

Classroom Use: Read aloud

Comments: Good for read aloud on Mother's Day or talking about bravery, fire safety, etc.
Matthew
Apr 26, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-books
The true story of a stray cat that saves her five kittens from a burning building. Anyone can appreciate this. Good book.
  • A Picture Book of Anne Frank
  • A Mama for Owen
  • Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully
  • St. Patrick's Day in the Morning
  • City Cat
  • What's Your Favorite Animal?
  • I See Kitty
  • Nuts to You!
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...