Start by marking “Around the World” as Want to Read:
Around the World

Around the World

2.86 of 5 stars 2.86  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A fantastic journey around the world is about to begin. Starting in downtown New York and traveling to Australia, China, Turkey, Serbia, Nigeria, France, Brazil, Canada, Puerto Rico, and back to New York again, kids play their hearts out in a grueling, winner-take-all, pick-up basketball game. Full court passes in a gym in Shanghai are effortlessly picked off in Istanbul w...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Around the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World

J-Lynn

This book seamlessly transitions to nine different basketball games happening between children in different countries to make it seem like one game is being played around the world. The readers see basketball played in New York City, Canada, Puerto Rico, Brazil, France, Serbia, Turkey, Nigeria, and China.

The illustrations are in a loose graphic novel style using bold colors in acrylic on canvas. This book would be an excellent introduction to graphic novels and a strong independent read for a tr...more
Josianne Fitzgerald
I'm not a basketball player so most of the terms here were unfamiliar but I loved the idea that basketball is an universal language, played with equal enthusiasm around the world.
Grosso
Gabe really likes this book and both kids like the maps and different countries visited. I find the writing difficult and you need to know basketball terms, including slang. It also has a comic book feel, which is not my favorite but the kids both enjoy the pictures.
Great graphics!This book doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I just don't know basketball well enough, I guess. I could see it becoming a favorite of some students.
Machim
Jul 30, 2010 Machim added it
Children's Books
Jill
Jill added it
Aug 17, 2013
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Yukari
Yukari added it
May 13, 2013
Tami Tagtow
Tami Tagtow marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2011
John Coy is an award-winning author, who worked as a dishwasher, mattress maker, group home worker, and tour guide before taking up writing. He's active in sports and is a member of the NBA Reading All-Star Team as part of the Read to Achieve program. John has traveled to all fifty states as well as to many countries internationally.

His work includes Night Driving, a Marion Vannett Ridgway Memori...more
More about John Coy...
Crackback Box Out Hoop Genius: How a Desperate Teacher and a Rowdy Gym Class Invented Basketball Top of the Order Two Old Potatoes and Me