Start by marking “Truck” as Want to Read:
Truck

Truck

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  368 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
With daring realism and stunning imagination, the author of Geek Love, Katherine Dunn, takes us on a journey into the mind of a feisty, adventurous adolescent named Jean "Dutch" Gillis. Dutch goes "trucking" from Portland, Oregon, to Los Angeles on a quest in search of herself, which, like the river trek of Deliverance, is filled with discoveries and sudden violence.

With b
Published March 1st 1990 by Warner Books (first published December 31st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truck

Steppenwolf by Hermann HesseThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonDuino Elegies by Rainer Maria RilkeLetters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
Jeff Buckley's Bookshelf
108th out of 158 books — 38 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Odyssey by HomerOn the Road by Jack KerouacThe Road by Cormac McCarthy
Road Trip
161st out of 304 books — 197 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
Oct 14, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who like boring books
Damnit.
I thought this book was going to be super-good. I read Geek Love and I was all, "THIS BOOK IS SUPER GOOD!" so I went to Powell's and I got me a copy of Truck, which I paid six hard-earned dollars for.
This book is not worth six dollars.
This book is crap.
I am sorry, Katherine Dunn, I'm sure you didn't mean to make it crap, and it was very brave of you to write almost the whole thing in one paragraph with no page breaks, and also to go jumping around all over the damn plot at random, and
Twyla
May 28, 2010 Twyla rated it really liked it
Really easy to read with the whole lack of structure train of thought thing. Did she or didn't she, I've read it twice and still don't know. DOn't like the way they crunched that in at the end, might have been better without it.
Michelle
Jan 15, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Painfully beautiful story of coming of age. That statement doesn't do the book justice, but I don't want to say too much. By the same author as Geek Love and she does not dissapoint.
Raindear25
Aug 20, 2008 Raindear25 rated it really liked it
Grotesque description of characters...brilliant writer. Takes a while to get into.
Amy
Nov 09, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
made me dream about eating a whole chocolate cake
Cheryl Klein
Jul 15, 2010 Cheryl Klein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A gritty stream-of-consciousness narrative of a teenage runaway, this novel reminded me more of Lynda Barry's Cruddy or Cynthia Kadohata's Floating World than Dunn's own Geek Love (which I loved). The narrator, Dutch, is one of those tomboy straight girls who seemed to occupy all the books of my youth (where are the femmey queer girls?! But I'm getting off track here). She has kind parents but feels suffocated by her small Oregon town in a way she doesn't quite understand, so she plots to truck ...more
Howard
Jun 11, 2015 Howard rated it really liked it
This was really a "good read," maybe a failed experiment in stream of consciousness weirdness, in that the plot is occasionally incoherent (not so the language), maybe a successful experiment that needs further attention. I liked the book enough to want to read another by the same author right away. I have a personal policy against doing that because I'm a fanatic for moderation, but I'm looking forward to reading "Attic" of similar vintage (1969) later this summer.
Serena J
Aug 09, 2012 Serena J rated it it was ok
I had a very hard time with the writing style of this book. It follows in a very scattered way, a teenage runaway, an odd child. I couldn't tell if the writer was trying to show us that the scattered teenager had so many thoughts through her mind, that you were SUPPOSED to feel that scattered feeling, but it was just irritating.

I had a hard time connecting with the characters. I know Katherine Dunn is a good writer, and I loved her style in Geek Love, but this was not like that. The writing was
Mundivagant
LA plays seaside, tarp-covered,
canned spaghetti home to an
androgenous runaway teen from
Oregoneforgood and the troubled
object of her slowly surfacing
pubescent affections, i.e. Dunn's
little pondered second
Molly Gove
Oct 10, 2007 Molly Gove rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like cruddy and/or housekeeping
i read this book a long time ago. it was written 9 or 12 years before geek love and you wouldn't guess they were both written by katherine dunn.

it's a sort of hard-scrabble tom-boy coming of age story. i think is shares themes with cruddy, housekeeping and foxfire, but definitely has it's own specific insights. i especially remember being really touched by the theme of food and what the trashy kid was eating all the time (coffee, twinkies, general crap) and then, through a series of plot twists,
Audrey
Feb 26, 2008 Audrey rated it it was ok
Darn - after Geek Love I had such high hopes for this book.... It is a story of a runaway teen, and the teen angst is wonderfully captured but the book is hard to read because she insisted on writing it in unfinished sentences (to capture "train of thought") I found that interfered with my enjoyment as I had to re-read things in order to understand them. Plus it is a harsh story. Don't read it - there are too many other great books out there.
Shell
Apr 15, 2011 Shell rated it liked it
her writing style is very choppy with impossibly short sentences. she gives little to no setting in the beginning. took awhile to figure out what was going on, who these people were, where they were, which characters am i supposed to care about, etc.

it is about a runaway girl; it reads like a travelogue. is either juvenile fiction that deals with adult topics or a mature adult novel written like a juvenile.

cannot recommend it.
Andrew Farr
May 28, 2013 Andrew Farr rated it liked it
This was a lot of stream of consciousness. The first bit of this book seems to flash back and forth in time and is very confusing. There are also a few paragraphs that go on for between 15-20 pages long, which become difficult to digest.

I read this because I love Geek Love, but it was a VERY different voice. It makes me want to read her last book.
Matt
Apr 02, 2008 Matt rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I really wanted to like this book. Reading it felt like a chore. The book is more or less one long never ending paragraph. Half the time I had no Idea what was going on. I fell asleep reading it a few times. It made me laugh though. It's not without its funny moments. Don't read it if you're expecting to get that geek love feeling back. It won't happen.
Michele
Sep 06, 2007 Michele rated it did not like it
I remember I time when I would finish a book even if I didn't like it. That time has passed and it passed because of this book.

Her sentence structure and sense of time is all screwy in this one. Normally I don't mind that but in this case I seriously couldn't follow along. Perhaps it is a failing in me. But I couldn't finish this book.
Andrea
I really loved Geek Love and was so excited about this book, but it didn't hold my interest. Sentence and paragraph structure were too long making it difficult to engage. Sadly I admit I couldn't finish this book- maybe I will try again when I have more patience.
Susan
Aug 02, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
I read this book in one sitting. It's my "On The Road". Just a long disjointed narrative, constantly propelling me forward. But I'm betting there would have been no way I would have found it enjoyable if I hadn't jumped on the ride and not slept until it was over.
Kelly Dvorak
Oct 07, 2012 Kelly Dvorak rated it really liked it
Rambling, intense stream of conscious that draws a compelling, raw story out of the tradition of "teens gone wild" movies and pulp fiction from the 60s
Alana Chazan
Jul 17, 2008 Alana Chazan rated it did not like it
while geek love is one of my all-time fave books, i was excited to read another dunn novel. it was terrible. could't even finish it.
Patrick
Aug 18, 2010 Patrick rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: My worst enemy
This is not in the same vein as Geek Love at all. What a disappointment! This book is great if you need to get some sleep.
Wendi
Feb 22, 2010 Wendi rated it liked it
It took me a little while to get used to the way this book was written. But once I did, I thought it was a good read.
Jon
Sep 27, 2009 Jon rated it it was ok
It is hard to believe that this book is from the same hand that wrote Geek love
Jessy
Sep 24, 2008 Jessy rated it did not like it
Katherine Dunn's Geek Love was brilliant but this was a severe disappointment.
Jamie
Mar 16, 2007 Jamie rated it it was ok
Kinda weird but I don't remember the story ever amounting to much.
Michelle Andersen
Sep 05, 2007 Michelle Andersen rated it it was ok
I found this depressing and not as imaginative as Geek Love.
Oct 08, 2007 Laura marked it as to-read
OMG - the ever wonderful Zach got me a copy of this!!
Liz
Oct 16, 2007 Liz rated it liked it
pretty good. funny.
Vienna X
Sep 13, 2007 Vienna X rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Runaways
A fantastic rambling rant.
That Jolie Girl
  • Etiquette: In Society, in Business, in Politics and at Home
  • Stanzas in Meditation
  • The Territory of Men: A Memoir
  • The Butterflies of Grand Canyon
  • Wide Open (Thames Gateway, #1)
  • Who Will Tell My Brother?
  • The Pumpkin Patch Parable (The Parable Series)
  • A Question of Choice
  • Frog in Love
Katherine Dunn is best known for her beloved novel "Geek Love," which was a finalist for the National Book Award in 1989. She is also the author of the novels "Attic" (1970) and "Truck" (1971). A fourth novel, entitled "The Cut Man," has been in-progress for decades and was purportedly scheduled for a September 2008 release.

Dunn is also known as a prolific sports journalist in the field of boxing,
More about Katherine Dunn...